Official Samsung UNXXD5000 Owners' Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 171 Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have returned the UN32D4000 and rebuy UN22D5000. I notice that the text is much smaller in 1920x1080 on the 22". I am used to 1680x1050 that I find text in 1920x1080 hard to read. I need to concentrate more. Viewing distance is ~2.5" away.

Have you calibrated your TV? Does it looks good out of the box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 171 Old 06-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Liked: 14
In regard to text size, it's probably because of smaller screen size, not the set's 1920x1080 native resolution (which is a big plus).

Go to your computer's 'display properties'......you will find an area where you can increase/decrease the text size. After increasing this setting on both my Win 7 laptop and Win XP desktop, thanks to the high resolution, the text remained very sharp. In fact I'm still amazed that when viewing a 4" x 2.25" PIP image, I can still see all the small details (including tiny text).

Out of the box, the calibration is decent. That said, made some tweaks based on the information I found in post # 4 and http://www.lyris-lite.net/quick_and_dirty_tv_setup.html
post #33 of 171 Old 06-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Both of the national discount chains (membership stores) have this unit (un40d5000 and un40d5005) and they look good in the store. I am hoping someone has purchased either of these models and can report their satisfaction after the purchase.
post #34 of 171 Old 06-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao View Post

In regard to text size, it's probably because of smaller screen size, not the set's 1920x1080 native resolution (which is a big plus).

Go to your computer's 'display properties'......you will find an area where you can increase/decrease the text size. After increasing this setting on both my Win 7 laptop and Win XP desktop, thanks to the high resolution, the text remained very sharp. In fact I'm still amazed that when viewing a 4" x 2.25" PIP image, I can still see all the small details (including tiny text).

Out of the box, the calibration is decent. That said, made some tweaks based on the information I found in post # 4 and http://www.lyris-lite.net/quick_and_dirty_tv_setup.html

Thanks for the tip on the text size. It is much easier on the eye now without decreasing the resolution. I will look into calibration later. I have been following televisioninfo website but they use software for calibration.
post #35 of 171 Old 06-25-2011, 10:38 PM

Any comment on Samsung T27A550? It is a real computer monitor with TV tuner. It is 5" bigger than the UN22D5000. Specs are similar except the monitor has DCR of 5,000,000:1 while UN22D5000 is 3,300,000:1 and is a TV that can also be used as a computer monitor. I don't mind a 27" as I am more interested in the UN27D5000 but in available in North America.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/o...ail&returnurl=

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Sync.../dp/B004O6ADF8
post #36 of 171 Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

When I initially connected my laptop via HDMI, some of the image stretched off the screen and I had to go into display properties and scale back a bit on the horizontal and vertical settings to get the proper fit. Then when I renamed the HDMI/DVI sorce to PC, the image might have been a bit sharper, but it did not fill the screen, so I changed the scaling back to full (e..g 100%) for proper fitment.

A 32" screen has 2.11X the viewing area of a 22" screen. However, a 1080P HDTV has more than twice as many pixels as a 720P set. When you factor in screen size and native resolution, the UN22D5000 has a pixel density almost 5 times that of the UN32D4000 (e.g. 10,029 pixels / sq. in. vs. 2,108 pixels / sq. in.). This would be most noticeable when viewing the screens close up.

Hello Guys, do you know if sharpness, dynamic contrast can be adjusted using TV with PC via DVI/HDMI?

Thanks very much for helping!
post #37 of 171 Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo12 View Post

Hello Guys, do you know if sharpness, dynamic contrast can be adjusted using TV with PC via DVI/HDMI? Thanks very much for helping!

Connected to the HDMI-1/DVI port, you can adjust sharpness and HDMI black level. However, game mode is not available nor can you enable dynamic contrast.

However, when I moved my PC to the HDMI-2 port, I found additional settings possible, including dynamic contrast and game mode.

Note: I added PC as the name of my HDMI-1/DVI port and am not sure if that edit made a difference as to what menu adjustments are available.
post #38 of 171 Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Watched 1080p video on the TV for the first time. PQ is good at ~2.5" distance. Is it real 1080p though? I select 1080p HD and view full screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzU9OrZlKb8
post #39 of 171 Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleberry View Post
Both of the national discount chains (membership stores) have this unit (un40d5000 and un40d5005) and they look good in the store. I am hoping someone has purchased either of these models and can report their satisfaction after the purchase.
I purchased a un40d5005 and have mixed feelings.

On the whole this TV had a wonderful picture to these old eyes and for such a small thin bezel had a significant amount of sound. I saw one reviewer somewhere else mention the lack of volume and I experienced the same before I turned the cable box volume up which restricted the TV's volume output.

I loved the thin black bezel which has a few faint touch controls on the lower right corner that you can only see if you are right on top of the TV looking for them. No labels, no licenses, nothing which to me is a super clean look. I had never bought a Samsung before. because of the thick Touch of color bezel (I know it sounds vain - lol).

I still can't get over the weight at 24.5 lbs. for a 40 inch TV.

Now I bought this TV for someone else and wanted a good TV at a great price which is what I thought I got so you'd think I'd be totally happy..

Well keep in mind the price point for this LED/LCD reduced the number of HDMI inputs to 2 with one Component and did not include a Universal remote which makes the one that came with the TV darn near worthless. Not a deal breakers but something to consider.

But as a result of a marketing gimmick Samsung has started to use called Clear Motion Rate it will be the last Samsung I buy. I feel a bit duped to be honest (Fool me once shame on you you don't get a chance to fool me twice). While the box was clearly marked and I really don't have anyone to blame but myself labeling something Clear Motion Rate 120 on a box was intended to catch unaware consumers.

Buyer beware:
http://www.samsung.com/us/article/cl...motion-clarity

In the end I thought I was buying a 120 Hz LED TV at a great price. What I bought was a 60 Hz LED TV at a good price. Unfortunately for Samsung it's the last Samsung I'll buy on principle.
post #40 of 171 Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all. Bought Samsung 40D5000 a week ago. After LG 47LD455 which i returned in two weeks back to store i'm very pleased with Samsung. Great picture - contrast, good black level, vivd colors, not bad viewing angles...
Using with PC via HDMI@1080p60Hz. Smooth playback for me (Potplayer) so i just don't care about 120Hz. If there's any questions i'll try to answer.
PS. Here's some pics of my TV

post #41 of 171 Old 07-10-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just purchased a UN22D5000NF from Best Buy yesterday. Waiting to set it up. I plan to use it as a bedroom TV. Will connect a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD (Time Warner) cable box, a Toshiba DVD/VHS player (via-HDMI) and a Phillips DVR (via-component).

I'm wondering/confused whether I can just connect cable directly to this TV (and not use the cable box)? Is it cable-ready? Does it decode? Can't seem to get this information from specs listing.
post #42 of 171 Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 PM

The tuner does have QAM capability....so you can connect cable directly without a STB (set top box).

In doing so, you will not get any premium tier programming but, as required by the FCC, your cable provider has to provide all the local programming (including HD and sub channel content) available in your broadcast market.

In my area, this amounted to more than 40 programs that included NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, THIS (24x7 movies), ION , Retro, MyTV, numerous PBS (World, Kids, Create etc.) and several premium (Food, Golf) channels.

All of the above is available in the 'Basic' tier pricing and unless you need the premium programming (e.g. History, Discovery, ESPN, CNN etc.), you won't need a STB (or pay for premium or HD programing).

PS

In my area, even though basic cable (Comcast) was only $10 / month, in A/B test, I found OTA (over-the air) reception via an antenna to provide the same programming with superior fidelity (e.g. cable providers have to add a lot of compression to get all their channels on a wire).
post #43 of 171 Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The tuner does have QAM capability....so you can connect cable directly without a STB (set top box).

In doing so, you will not get any premium tier programming but, as required by the FCC, your cable provider has to provide all the local programming (including HD and sub channel content) available in your broadcast market

ah, I see. This is exactly what I wanted to know.

Quote:

In my area, this amounted to more than 40 programs that included NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, THIS (24x7 movies), ION , Retro, MyTV, numerous PBS (World, Kids, Create etc.) and several premium (Food, Golf) channels.

All of the above is available in the 'Basic' tier pricing and unless you need the premium programming (e.g. History, Discovery, ESPN, CNN etc.), you won't need a STB (or pay for premium or HD programing)

I guess I can't get HBO channel then? I probably watch HBO more than any other channel other than sports and local programming- ie. ESPN, SPEED, NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, etc.,...

I have two cable-boxes, one is integrated into my home theater system (rack) in living room, the other is installed into my bedroom TV set-up cabinet. I'm wanting tio get rid of one STB to save costs. But I do most of my daily TV watching in my bedroom. I use the home theater STB to watch special broadcasts- ie. SuperBowl, "live" concerts, "live" sports events, etc.,...I use direct HDMI connection for optimized resolution and sound

Was hoping I could move to one STB and a splitter. This way I would keep the STB in my home theater system. Run the second (split) coax line to my bedroom system, directly connected to Samsung TV. I think I will hook it up this way first and try it anyway. See what happens

Quote:

In my area, even though basic cable (Comcast) was only $10 / month, in A/B test, I found OTA (over-the air) reception via an antenna to provide the same programming with superior fidelity (e.g. cable providers have to add a lot of compression to get all their channels on a wire)

interesting.

So there's no way possible to get HD video and (DolbyDigital, etc.,...) audio via-coax?

Apporeciate all your input!

Dave
post #44 of 171 Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

So there's no way possible to get HD video and (DolbyDigital, etc.,...) audio via-coax? Dave

I was just saying that I found the OTA fidelity a bit better, because cable providers use more compression.

HD video and Dolby audio will be on coax cable (w/o STB).
post #45 of 171 Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just saying that I found the OTA fidelity a bit better, because cable providers use more compression

I see

Quote:

HD video and Dolby audio will be on coax cable (w/o STB)

I finally tested my UN22D5000 last night and this morning, picture so far is "so-so". Slightly washed out on some channels. I'm only getting standard definition channels so far. Can't seem to tune into HD channels (like local NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.,...). Guess I have to play around with "Channel List"?
post #46 of 171 Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM

TW may be sending both SD (for folks with older analog TVs) and HD programing of ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS etc., so check that you're selecting the HD version (among the channels found in the scan).

For more information regarding HD ClearQAM reception in your area.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1269188
post #47 of 171 Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TW may be sending both SD (for folks with older analog TVs) and HD programing of ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS etc., so check that you're selecting the HD version (among the channels found in the scan).

For more information regarding HD ClearQAM reception in your area.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1269188

thanks. Yeah, I'm attempting to send both SD and HD versions of network channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX), can't get HD versions. SD channels are numbered as such- 02, 04, 07, 11 respectively. HD channels are numbered as such- 402, 404, 407, 411 respectively. When I enter 400 series channels I get no response. Not sure if I have to re-run channel search?
post #48 of 171 Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 PM

I just bought a UN22D5000 to replace a 5 year old 15" sharp. So far it seems like a good set, but I don't have an HD box in the kitchen for this TV. I'm just running the raw cable. Anyone have any picture settings they can share to get the best possible picture for SD channels? I can get the local HD channels through the QAM, which is nice, but the SD channels aren't looking so hot. Thanks
post #49 of 171 Old 07-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Has anyone experienced the TV not turning on when you press on the power button on the remote? TV shows it has power from the red indicator. I have this problem a few days ago. Now I have this problem everyday. The only way for it to turn on is to unplug and replug the power cord. It is fine once on. Google shows capacitors problem on the powerboard.

I might have to use Samsung warranty for repair. Any idea on how I should go about doing that? I didn't buy store's extended warranty and it has pasted the 30 day store return and exchange period.
post #50 of 171 Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM

The user manual has details howto setup a pc connecting to the HDMI-IN-1(DVI) port.
post #51 of 171 Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcb View Post

Has anyone experienced the TV not turning on when you press on the power button on the remote? TV shows it has power from the red indicator. I have this problem a few days ago. Now I have this problem everyday. The only way for it to turn on is to unplug and replug the power cord. It is fine once on. Google shows capacitors problem on the powerboard. I might have to use Samsung warranty for repair. Any idea on how I should go about doing that? I didn't buy store's extended warranty and it has pasted the 30 day store return and exchange period.

Does the power button on the front of the TV turn it on/off OK?

If yes, try resetting the remote (believe you remove the batteries and hold the power button a few minutes).

If this doesn't correct the problem, if you have another Samsung remote, try it.

If not, call Samsung support (may need to replace the remote).
post #52 of 171 Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Does the power button on the front of the TV turn it on/off OK?

If yes, try resetting the remote (believe you remove the batteries and hold the power button a few minutes).

If this doesn't correct the problem, if you have another Samsung remote, try it.

If not, call Samsung support (may need to replace the remote).

Ok I tried the second method of resetting the remote my removing the batteries and tv turns on. I tried this method first because I like to keep the protective plastic on and guess it might affect the sensitivity of the touch button so didn't try the 1st method.

Now that the 2nd method works, I then try the front button and it turns on too.

Why is that? Why do I need to reset the remote? What cause the remote to not turn the tv on?
post #53 of 171 Old 08-06-2011, 05:43 AM

Glad to hear that you're back in business.

Somehow the firmware in the remote's flash memory got corrupted (e.g. such as an electrostatic charge from your body, lightening etc.). Resetting the remote, restored the firmware back to the factory settings.

If you remove the protective plastic sheet, you'll better see the PQ that this TV is really capable of.
post #54 of 171 Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Glad to hear that you're back in business.

Somehow the firmware in the remote's flash memory got corrupted (e.g. such as an electrostatic charge from your body, lightening etc.). Resetting the remote, restored the firmware back to the factory settings.

If you remove the protective plastic sheet, you'll better see the PQ that this TV is really capable of.

Well, it doesn't work again. I didn't try to remove and reinstall batteries this morning. There must be something wrong.

Speaking of firmware, where can I download it and how do I update it myself? There is a software update by USB option in the menu somewhere.
post #55 of 171 Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 AM

OK, if the TV turns on/off OK using the front panel power button, the remote control is probably faulty.

On another Samsung TV I have, one of the buttons on the remote became intermittent. Tech support had me try the reset which did not fix the problem, so they sent me a replacement remote control, under warranty, which solved the problem.

Firmware updates for the TV itself are on the support/download section at the Samsung site.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN22D5000NFXZA

There is an update for the UN22D5000, Allshare ver 2.1, dated Jul 29,2011. Although I was not experiencing any issues, I installed it anyway. It's easy to do, but be sure to read 'how to download and install' instructions.

I also downloaded the user manual because it's very easy to search the .pdf document to find a topic (vs. the sets clumsy on screen electronic version).

BTW, while your there, make sure your set is registered (the warranty will be extended an extra 3 months or15 months total).
post #56 of 171 Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 AM

I just bought a UA40D5000PM. I have been away from home for a while and this is the first tv I bought I used to have a Samsung 40" back in Canada and loved it so I followed with a reasonably priced Samsung. I see they have an August firmware update and I loaded it on a USB key the .exe file and I stuck it into one of the USB ports but.. nothing says no file found.. on my old tv I dont remb it being a .exe file so what I am doing wrong and which USB port should I be using?

THANKS
post #57 of 171 Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Did you follow the Samsung install instructions?

Sounds like you may not have unzipped the .exe file.
post #58 of 171 Old 08-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Yeah I did, no luck. Maybe it is the USB key I am using. But I have reformatted it hmmmmmm
post #59 of 171 Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 AM

Does anyone have calibration settings yet? Also does anyone know the response time of this tv (22 inch)?
post #60 of 171 Old 08-30-2011, 03:34 PM

I just got this tv today and screwing in the stand all the way leaves it wobbly still. Is it suppose to be like this I'm thinking no it should be tight and not move. Anyone have this problem? I tried like 5 times screwing it in with the same result every time.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un22d5000 22 Inch 1080p 60hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un22d5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page