Official Samsung UNXXD5000 Owners' Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 171 Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nvm about the stand it was just the screw driver I had was too fat for the screws so it would only tighten it to a certain point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 171 Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueTJ View Post

I just bought a UN22D5000 to replace a 5 year old 15" sharp. So far it seems like a good set, but I don't have an HD box in the kitchen for this TV. I'm just running the raw cable. Anyone have any picture settings they can share to get the best possible picture for SD channels? I can get the local HD channels through the QAM, which is nice, but the SD channels aren't looking so hot. Thanks

FYI

New firmware, for SD image improvement, was just released on 8/31/11.

Although I had no issues with SD content, since it's very easy to do, I downloaded and installed the update anyway.
post #63 of 171 Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Anyone have some info on the un22d5003? is suppose to be 120hz. And info on un22d5010 (the white one)? its the same model as the un22d5000 just white?
post #64 of 171 Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 AM

Liked: 16
Can anyone comment on how the 37"/40" models are for console gaming?
post #65 of 171 Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 AM

I was curious as to the difference between the D5000 and D5003 models, besides the lower MSRP on the D5003.

After a quick low at the Samsung site, the D5003 has a lower dynamic range (20,000:1 vs. 3,200,000:1) and less features / connectivity.

For example, PIP (picture in picture), Game Mode, Connect Share, digital audio output are items not mentioned in the D5003 specifications.

Perhaps a D5003 owner can confirm?
post #66 of 171 Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Anyone updated the software care to share exactly how you did it
post #67 of 171 Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Detailed instructions for installing upgrades are on the Samsung site.

Basically, you download the upgrade to a USB flash drive.

It's a zipped file, so then double click to unzip it.

Safely remove the USB drive.

Turn the TV on and insert the drive into the USB port.

Open the menu and scroll down to the support section (screen - icon w/ ?).

Select software upgrade and press enter.

The TV will scan the USB drive and install the upgrade.

When the software upgrade is complete, the TV will turn off and then back on by itself.
post #68 of 171 Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao View Post

Detailed instructions for installing upgrades are on the Samsung site.

Basically, you download the upgrade to a USB flash drive.

It's a zipped file, so then double click to unzip it.

Safely remove the USB drive.

Turn the TV on and insert the drive into the USB port.

Open the menu and scroll down to the support section (screen - icon w/ ?).

Select software upgrade and press enter.

The TV will scan the USB drive and install the upgrade.

When the software upgrade is complete, the TV will turn off and then back on by itself.

Yes I tried it, doesnt work. Says it cannot find the file. The latest file is a folder with the file name - T-MST4DEUC and in there theres another folder named image? is that what you guys see? I wanna know if I am doing it right, coz I am on a mac.

Could be 2 things, the .exe file is not being unzipped right or the tv does not like the USB thing I am using.

*ok I tried it on a pc... did it as described and no, it still will not recognize the file* Any suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS guya
post #69 of 171 Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 AM

When you navigate to the firmware page, in the support section, you will see the following description:

All OS Aug 31, 2011 Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1018.1, 1001.2) 49.54 ENGLISH T-MST4AUSC,_T-MSV4AUSC

Save this file to a USB flash drive.

After you unzip the file, you should see these (2) folders:

T-MST4AUSC and T-MSV4AUSC

Then turn on the TV, insert the USB drive, select software upgrade in the menu.

The drive will then be scanned to find these (2) folders, then follow the installation prompts.
post #70 of 171 Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:

When you navigate to the firmware page, in the support section, you will see the following description:

All OS Aug 31, 2011 Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1018.1, 1001.2) 49.54 ENGLISH T-MST4AUSC,_T-MSV4AUSC

Save this file to a USB flash drive.

After you unzip the file, you should see these (2) folders:

T-MST4AUSC and T-MSV4AUSC

Then turn on the TV, insert the USB drive, select software upgrade in the menu.

The drive will then be scanned to find these (2) folders, then follow the installation prompts.

the us webpage does not have the 5000 listed. but i do see the file and it does unzip to 2. The singapore page where i am from only unzips to one folder...weird.. same goes for the UK page...i wonder is there is any diff in the files..ok i tried the US file does not work either.
post #71 of 171 Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomnaut View Post

i bought mine a few months ago. use it for xbox games, hd cable, and blu-ray. my room is really dark and this set's backlight bleeds excessively even with the backlight down to 0 in movie mode. the picture quality is great besides the bleeding which is very distracting. does anybody have the same issue?

i bought it from amazon. should i consider returning it or getting it replaced?

edit: return window expired last month... what do?

I got the same problem, it seems that we got PVA panels in which clouding is really awful as shown on digital versus review.

I found the bleeding really distracting just when watching 2.35:1 AR movies in total darkness, in dark scenes the two upper corners light are really awful, but with a light on or during the day is just fine.

Anyway I'm not satisfied with this tv picture quality, it's incredible how my 2009 panasonic plasma, paid the same price, still offers a better picture quality on all fronts (brightness, contrast, sharpness).

What to do? Well, I'll never buy a samsung tv again, that's for sure.
post #72 of 171 Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa84 View Post

I got the same problem, it seems that we got PVA panels in which clouding is really awful as shown on digital versus review.

I found the bleeding really distracting just when watching 2.35:1 AR movies in total darkness, in dark scenes the two upper corners light are really awful, but with a light on or during the day is just fine.

Anyway I'm not satisfied with this tv picture quality, it's incredible how my 2009 panasonic plasma, paid the same price, still offers a better picture quality on all fronts (brightness, contrast, sharpness).

What to do? Well, I'll never buy a samsung tv again, that's for sure.

I bought one of the first production units and it had some flash lighting at the edges, but no clouding.

Since a really liked everything else about this model, I decided to return it for another unit, which had a later manufacturing date.

The replacement has no flashing or clouding. Quick way to check is, in a dark room, hold down the channel change button to get a 100% dark screen. If you have either abnormality, you'll easily see it.

I'm using the unit as combination PC monitor / HDTV in my home office and am blown away by the image quality and features.

Last month I bought another one to use as a bedroom HDTV and it also does not have any flash lighting or clouding issues. I have the back lighting set to 14 out of 20.

Both of my units were made in Mexico and the panels are version AY01.
post #73 of 171 Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Anyone has calibration for PS3/Xbox 360?
post #74 of 171 Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Several of you have mentioned "pc mode". How does one activate this? I have a high end asus laptop outputting hdmi to the monitor and the text is subpar. But apparently "pc mode" is the answer. There's no such option in th menu screens of the TV, so how do I activate it?
post #75 of 171 Old 11-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randizzl View Post

Several of you have mentioned "pc mode". How does one activate this? I have a high end asus laptop outputting hdmi to the monitor and the text is subpar. But apparently "pc mode" is the answer. There's no such option in th menu screens of the TV, so how do I activate it?

Good question......took me awhile to figure it out too.

Press 'SOURCE' (top right on remote)
Scroll down to 'HDMI1/DVI'
Press "TOOLS'

You should then be able to select 'Edit' or 'Information'

In edit, I can't remember if PC was one of the selectable choices or if I had to type it in.

From what I've read, on many HDTVs, this will optimize some of the sets parameters (e.g. native resolution 1:1 pixel mapping) for use as a computer monitor, when connected to that input.

I'm also using a ASUS laptop and have sharp/crisp images on my Samsung UN22D5000, However, laptop screens only have a native resolution of 1280X720 or1366 x 768. Windows will automatically detect the 1920 x 1080 native resolution of the UN22D5000 however, make sure your laptops graphics properties, in the multiple display area, are set properly.
post #76 of 171 Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Has anybody bought the UN40D5005 model? Looking for some advice on picture settings.
post #77 of 171 Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Liked: 12
Hi to all,

a quick & dirty question :

is it possible to fully disable the backlight auto dimming function in this TV serie ?

I mean a real fixed intensity, regardless the displayed image content.

I'm wondering so because i got several different answers, starting from HDTVTest review that claims that is impossible, while some owners told me the opposite, referring to the "Motion lighting" function, but i have some doubts.

I'm interested to the 40d5000 model, but the auto dim function would be a strong show stopper for me.

Thanks in advance,
Marco.
post #78 of 171 Old 11-24-2011, 03:14 PM

Hope this helps (copy and paste of some menu settings described in the user manual)

Black Tone (Off / Dark / Darker /Darkest): Select the black level to adjust the screen depth.

Dynamic Contrast (Off / Low / Medium / High): Adjusts the screen contrast.

Motion Lighting (Off / On): Reduces power consumption by reducing screen brightness when the picture on the screen is motionless.

Energy Saving (Off / Low / Medium / High / Picture Off): Lets you adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption.

BTW.......You can download the complete user manual at the Samsung web site.
post #79 of 171 Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBombadil View Post

Has anybody bought the UN40D5005 model? Looking for some advice on picture settings.

Anyone have any advice?
post #80 of 171 Old 11-25-2011, 01:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

BTW.......You can download the complete user manual at the Samsung web site.

Thanks Thiao, already done, but despite having read the whole document, i still remain with the doubt that backlight intensity is not "lockable".

Sure all the menu items that you mentioned are involved in this matter, but i want to be sure to be able to lock the intensity before to procede with the purchase.

Marco.
post #81 of 171 Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 PM

Picture settings?
post #82 of 171 Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.47 View Post

picture settings?

ttt
post #83 of 171 Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPerry View Post

Nvm about the stand it was just the screw driver I had was too fat for the screws so it would only tighten it to a certain point.

I can't get two of the screws to go in all the way, only halfway. This is making the whole tv wobbly on the base. Did you just use a smaller screwdriver? This has been a nightmare.
post #84 of 171 Old 01-05-2012, 05:45 AM

When turning the screws, there will be a point where you will feel resistance....just keep turming the screws until the stand is securely fastened.
post #85 of 171 Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:

When turning the screws, there will be a point where you will feel resistance....just keep turming the screws until the stand is securely fastened.

Will the screw need to be all the way in? I'm finding it near impossible to get it more than a little halfway in because of the resistance and it's really difficult to line up the screwdriver because of the back part of the base.
post #86 of 171 Old 01-05-2012, 12:17 PM

The screws don't bottom, but need to be tightened enough to securely fasten the stand's neck to to the rear panel.

It often takes an additional turn or two, past where they seem tight (unless the screw has been cross threaded).

Easiest to do if you lay the front panel on a soft flat surface and use the right sized screwdriver.

This (e.g. screws difficult to turn before the stand was securely fastened) happened with both of my sets as well as to several others, who previouly posted.
post #87 of 171 Old 01-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:

The screws don't bottom, but need to be tightened enough to securely fasten the stand's neck to to the rear panel.

It often takes an additional turn or two, past where they seem tight (unless the screw has been cross threaded).

Easiest to do if you lay the front panel on a soft flat surface and use the right sized screwdriver.

This (e.g. screws difficult to turn before the stand was securely fastened) happened with both of my sets as well as to several others, who previouly posted.

The screws I'm having problems with are the longer ones which connect the base to the panel which then screws into the back of the tv.

The right and left screws of the 3 that screw down into the base are not going in all the way. I've tried it a few times (screwing, then unscrewing and trying it to make sure threads are correct) and they won't go all the way in. When all is connected to the tv, it's a little too wobbly for my liking.
post #88 of 171 Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM

You must have a larger size set.....the UN22D5000 only uses (2) screws. The stand (e.g. base and neck) are a single integrated piece and only (2) screws are used to attach it to the rear panel.

When these screws seemed fully tightened, the TV wobbled a bit and both screws required further tightening.

With my large Samsung (not a UNxxD5000 series) the base and neck were seperate pieces, which had to be attached with screws before the stand could be fastened to the set.

From what you're describing, it sounds like the screws are bottoming out and the next step would be to call Samsung support.

If all fails and the supplied screws are actually to long, you can use shorter screws (most local hardware stores sell black philips head metric screws).
post #89 of 171 Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:

You must have a larger size set.....the UN22D5000 only uses (2) screws. The stand (e.g. base and neck) are a single integrated piece and only (2) screws are used to attach it to the rear panel.

When these screws seemed fully tightened, the TV wobbled a bit and both screws required further tightening.

With my large Samsung (not a UNxxD5000 series) the base and neck were seperate pieces, which had to be attached with screws before the stand could be fastened to the set.

From what you're describing, it sounds like the screws are bottoming out and the next step would be to call Samsung support.

If all fails and the supplied screws are actually to long, you can use shorter screws (most local hardware stores sell black philips head metric screws).

My model is the UN40D5005 and was purchased from Sam's Club. Tonight I went to a store and found one on display. It was not near as wobbly as mine so there's definitely something not tightening and it's those 2 screws. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has this exact model if they had the same problem.

Maybe there would be another thread for the 40"?
post #90 of 171 Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Well now I found another issue. There is a slightly dark area in the middle of the screen about the size of a nickel. At first I thought it was just something on the network's camera until I saw the same darkened spot on other channels. It looks more like a vertical smudge, not a circle, but I cleaned off the screen and saw nothing. It's most apparent on light or especially a white picture.

It doesn't really appear to be a dead pixel because there's still light, it's just dimmer.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un22d5000 22 Inch 1080p 60hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un22d5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page