AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung UNXXD5000 Owners' Thread

53K views 170 replies 48 participants last post by  lexus123 
#1 ·
Although Samsung's web site has no information on the new 2011 UNXXD5000 series (still has the 2010 C models), many on-line and brick & mortar retailers have the UN22D5000 available (a call to Samsung said that this series has not been released yet).

Since the new 2011 model is 1080P (1920x1080), which is very rare in a 22" HDTV, I had to buy one.

I was not disappointed......the PQ, both as a TV and PC monitor is awesome. Additionally, although LED edge lite, in a dark room, I had to really look hard to see any effects of bleeding/non-uniformity.

Following are some specifications/features.

Screen Size: 21.5"

Display Type: LED (edge lighting)

Resolution: 1080P (1920x1080 native)

HDMI: 2 (version 1.4)

Component Video (Y/PB/PR): 1

PC Input: 1 VGA

USB 2.0 Ports: 1 (supports videos, music, or pictures)

Component Audio Input: 1

PC Audio Input: 1

Digital Audio Output: 1

Dimensions (WxHxD): 20.6 x 12.7 x 1.2 Inches (20.6 x 14.8 x 5.7 Inches With Stand)

Weight: 7.9 lbs. (8.6 lbs. with stand)

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/20787155

Does the power button on the front of the TV turn it on/off OK?

If yes, try resetting the remote (believe you remove the batteries and hold the power button a few minutes).

If this doesn't correct the problem, if you have another Samsung remote, try it.

If not, call Samsung support (may need to replace the remote).

Ok I tried the second method of resetting the remote my removing the batteries and tv turns on. I tried this method first because I like to keep the protective plastic on and guess it might affect the sensitivity of the touch button so didn't try the 1st method.

Now that the 2nd method works, I then try the front button and it turns on too.

Why is that? Why do I need to reset the remote? What cause the remote to not turn the tv on?

#53 ·
Glad to hear that you're back in business.

Somehow the firmware in the remote's flash memory got corrupted (e.g. such as an electrostatic charge from your body, lightening etc.). Resetting the remote, restored the firmware back to the factory settings.

If you remove the protective plastic sheet, you'll better see the PQ that this TV is really capable of.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/20790918

Glad to hear that you're back in business.

Somehow the firmware in the remote's flash memory got corrupted (e.g. such as an electrostatic charge from your body, lightening etc.). Resetting the remote, restored the firmware back to the factory settings.

If you remove the protective plastic sheet, you'll better see the PQ that this TV is really capable of.

Well, it doesn't work again. I didn't try to remove and reinstall batteries this morning. There must be something wrong.

Speaking of firmware, where can I download it and how do I update it myself? There is a software update by USB option in the menu somewhere.

#55 ·
OK, if the TV turns on/off OK using the front panel power button, the remote control is probably faulty.

On another Samsung TV I have, one of the buttons on the remote became intermittent. Tech support had me try the reset which did not fix the problem, so they sent me a replacement remote control, under warranty, which solved the problem.

Firmware updates for the TV itself are on the support/download section at the Samsung site.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN22D5000NFXZA

There is an update for the UN22D5000, Allshare ver 2.1, dated Jul 29,2011. Although I was not experiencing any issues, I installed it anyway. It's easy to do, but be sure to read 'how to download and install' instructions.

I also downloaded the user manual because it's very easy to search the .pdf document to find a topic (vs. the sets clumsy on screen electronic version).

BTW, while your there, make sure your set is registered (the warranty will be extended an extra 3 months or15 months total).

#56 ·
I just bought a UA40D5000PM. I have been away from home for a while and this is the first tv I bought I used to have a Samsung 40" back in Canada and loved it so I followed with a reasonably priced Samsung. I see they have an August firmware update and I loaded it on a USB key the .exe file and I stuck it into one of the USB ports but.. nothing says no file found.. on my old tv I dont remb it being a .exe file so what I am doing wrong and which USB port should I be using?

THANKS

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueTJ /forum/post/20735443

I just bought a UN22D5000 to replace a 5 year old 15" sharp. So far it seems like a good set, but I don't have an HD box in the kitchen for this TV. I'm just running the raw cable. Anyone have any picture settings they can share to get the best possible picture for SD channels? I can get the local HD channels through the QAM, which is nice, but the SD channels aren't looking so hot. Thanks

FYI

New firmware, for SD image improvement, was just released on 8/31/11.

Although I had no issues with SD content, since it's very easy to do, I downloaded and installed the update anyway.

#65 ·
I was curious as to the difference between the D5000 and D5003 models, besides the lower MSRP on the D5003.

After a quick low at the Samsung site, the D5003 has a lower dynamic range (20,000:1 vs. 3,200,000:1) and less features / connectivity.

For example, PIP (picture in picture), Game Mode, Connect Share, digital audio output are items not mentioned in the D5003 specifications.

Perhaps a D5003 owner can confirm?

#67 ·
Detailed instructions for installing upgrades are on the Samsung site.

Basically, you download the upgrade to a USB flash drive.

It's a zipped file, so then double click to unzip it.

Safely remove the USB drive.

Turn the TV on and insert the drive into the USB port.

Open the menu and scroll down to the support section (screen - icon w/ ?).

Select software upgrade and press enter.

The TV will scan the USB drive and install the upgrade.

When the software upgrade is complete, the TV will turn off and then back on by itself.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/21038857

Detailed instructions for installing upgrades are on the Samsung site.

Basically, you download the upgrade to a USB flash drive.

It's a zipped file, so then double click to unzip it.

Safely remove the USB drive.

Turn the TV on and insert the drive into the USB port.

Open the menu and scroll down to the support section (screen - icon w/ ?).

Select software upgrade and press enter.

The TV will scan the USB drive and install the upgrade.

When the software upgrade is complete, the TV will turn off and then back on by itself.

Yes I tried it, doesnt work. Says it cannot find the file. The latest file is a folder with the file name - T-MST4DEUC and in there theres another folder named image? is that what you guys see? I wanna know if I am doing it right, coz I am on a mac.

Could be 2 things, the .exe file is not being unzipped right or the tv does not like the USB thing I am using.

*ok I tried it on a pc... did it as described and no, it still will not recognize the file* Any suggestions would be appreciated.

THANKS guya

#69 ·
When you navigate to the firmware page, in the support section, you will see the following description:

All OS Aug 31, 2011 Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1018.1, 1001.2) 49.54 ENGLISH T-MST4AUSC,_T-MSV4AUSC

Save this file to a USB flash drive.

After you unzip the file, you should see these (2) folders:

T-MST4AUSC and T-MSV4AUSC

Then turn on the TV, insert the USB drive, select software upgrade in the menu.

The drive will then be scanned to find these (2) folders, then follow the installation prompts.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao /forum/post/21045803

When you navigate to the firmware page, in the support section, you will see the following description:

All OS Aug 31, 2011 Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1018.1, 1001.2) 49.54 ENGLISH T-MST4AUSC,_T-MSV4AUSC

Save this file to a USB flash drive.

After you unzip the file, you should see these (2) folders:

T-MST4AUSC and T-MSV4AUSC

Then turn on the TV, insert the USB drive, select software upgrade in the menu.

The drive will then be scanned to find these (2) folders, then follow the installation prompts.

the us webpage does not have the 5000 listed. but i do see the file and it does unzip to 2. The singapore page where i am from only unzips to one folder...weird.. same goes for the UK page...i wonder is there is any diff in the files..ok i tried the US file does not work either.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomnaut /forum/post/21049518

i bought mine a few months ago. use it for xbox games, hd cable, and blu-ray. my room is really dark and this set's backlight bleeds excessively even with the backlight down to 0 in movie mode. the picture quality is great besides the bleeding which is very distracting. does anybody have the same issue?

i bought it from amazon. should i consider returning it or getting it replaced?

edit: return window expired last month... what do?

I got the same problem, it seems that we got PVA panels in which clouding is really awful as shown on digital versus review.

I found the bleeding really distracting just when watching 2.35:1 AR movies in total darkness, in dark scenes the two upper corners light are really awful, but with a light on or during the day is just fine.

Anyway I'm not satisfied with this tv picture quality, it's incredible how my 2009 panasonic plasma, paid the same price, still offers a better picture quality on all fronts (brightness, contrast, sharpness).

What to do? Well, I'll never buy a samsung tv again, that's for sure.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa84 /forum/post/21052007

I got the same problem, it seems that we got PVA panels in which clouding is really awful as shown on digital versus review.

I found the bleeding really distracting just when watching 2.35:1 AR movies in total darkness, in dark scenes the two upper corners light are really awful, but with a light on or during the day is just fine.

Anyway I'm not satisfied with this tv picture quality, it's incredible how my 2009 panasonic plasma, paid the same price, still offers a better picture quality on all fronts (brightness, contrast, sharpness).

What to do? Well, I'll never buy a samsung tv again, that's for sure.

I bought one of the first production units and it had some flash lighting at the edges, but no clouding.

Since a really liked everything else about this model, I decided to return it for another unit, which had a later manufacturing date.

The replacement has no flashing or clouding. Quick way to check is, in a dark room, hold down the channel change button to get a 100% dark screen. If you have either abnormality, you'll easily see it.

I'm using the unit as combination PC monitor / HDTV in my home office and am blown away by the image quality and features.

Last month I bought another one to use as a bedroom HDTV and it also does not have any flash lighting or clouding issues. I have the back lighting set to 14 out of 20.

Both of my units were made in Mexico and the panels are version AY01.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randizzl /forum/post/21247449

Several of you have mentioned "pc mode". How does one activate this? I have a high end asus laptop outputting hdmi to the monitor and the text is subpar. But apparently "pc mode" is the answer. There's no such option in th menu screens of the TV, so how do I activate it?

Good question......took me awhile to figure it out too.

Press 'SOURCE' (top right on remote)

Scroll down to 'HDMI1/DVI'

Press "TOOLS'

You should then be able to select 'Edit' or 'Information'

In edit, I can't remember if PC was one of the selectable choices or if I had to type it in.

From what I've read, on many HDTVs, this will optimize some of the sets parameters (e.g. native resolution 1:1 pixel mapping) for use as a computer monitor, when connected to that input.

I'm also using a ASUS laptop and have sharp/crisp images on my Samsung UN22D5000, However, laptop screens only have a native resolution of 1280X720 or1366 x 768. Windows will automatically detect the 1920 x 1080 native resolution of the UN22D5000 however, make sure your laptops graphics properties, in the multiple display area, are set properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.