Official Samsung UNXXD5000 Owners' Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 171 Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although Samsung's web site has no information on the new 2011 UNXXD5000 series (still has the 2010 C models), many on-line and brick & mortar retailers have the UN22D5000 available (a call to Samsung said that this series has not been released yet).

Since the new 2011 model is 1080P (1920x1080), which is very rare in a 22" HDTV, I had to buy one.

I was not disappointed......the PQ, both as a TV and PC monitor is awesome. Additionally, although LED edge lite, in a dark room, I had to really look hard to see any effects of bleeding/non-uniformity.

Following are some specifications/features.

Screen Size: 21.5"
Display Type: LED (edge lighting)
Resolution: 1080P (1920x1080 native)
HDMI: 2 (version 1.4)
Component Video (Y/PB/PR): 1
PC Input: 1 VGA
USB 2.0 Ports: 1 (supports videos, music, or pictures)
Component Audio Input: 1
PC Audio Input: 1
Digital Audio Output: 1
Dimensions (WxHxD): 20.6 x 12.7 x 1.2 Inches (20.6 x 14.8 x 5.7 Inches With Stand)
Weight: 7.9 lbs. (8.6 lbs. with stand)
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Officially released.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN22D5000NFXZA

post #3 of 171 Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM

How are the blacks on it? I keep looking for a multipurpose office display but always end up disappointed in what passes for black.
post #4 of 171 Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I do not have the necessary display patterns or measurement equipment (see link below) to provide anymore then an anecdotal reply.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...htm#blacklevel

Given all the negative comments about LCD-LED edge lighting, this was the first I checked out and found no ill effects from bleeding or uniformity.

The following
anecdotal comments compare my Samsung LN46C530 (6 month old, CCFL-LCD, 2010 model) to the UN22D5000.

Each was adjusted in a similar fashion (e.g. backlight turned down to where detail diminished and then up a notch, contrast high and brightness half that value, sharpness low etc.).

Both units delivered stunning color PQ, but I did notice a significant difference.

While watching this weeks episode of Survivor, in the B/W scenes, there were differences in the detail (e.g. seeing stones in the ground cover, detail in the foliage etc.).

Later watched Jay Leno, who was wearing a black suit and the LN22D5000 more clearly showed the pin strips, wrinkles/folds in the fabric etc. .

post #5 of 171 Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info; I'll try to find one locally and give it a good look.
post #6 of 171 Old 06-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought one of these earlier this evening. I, too, am using this primarily as a computer monitor with the PIP (Picture In Picture) feature to simultaneously view television. I think this is a great display! I originally tried a 26" Samsung (Samsung LN26D450), but my wife said it was too big. I had been using a Samsung LNT1953H, which is an older 19 inch display. I wanted a bigger monitor, but I guess the jump from 19" to 26" was too much. Going from 19" to 22" seems to be more acceptable to her.

On a somewhat related note, at some point I might want to add a video card to my Dell Inspiron 530 and connect both of my Samsung LNT1953H and use them in the dual monitor mode. Has anybody here done this? If so, how well does it work? Also, should I ditch the VGA connection and go with an DVI? It sounds like it might be a worthwhile upgrade.
post #7 of 171 Old 06-11-2011, 11:29 PM

Jim,

How is text in PC mode? Do you use HDMI to HDMI or DVI to HDMI?

I am also considering UN22D5000, but today I found another similar model in UN22D5003. Is it 5003 the update version of 5000? 5003 has 120Hz clear motion rate, 5000 is 60Hz. I guess 120 is better in watching sport?

UN22D5003
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...ype=prd_detail

UN22D5000
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...ail&returnurl=
post #8 of 171 Old 06-11-2011, 11:57 PM

Can someone who owns this TV tell me if the screen is matte antiglare, semi-matte or glossy? Also if you view the screen from a low angle, does the picture dim?

Thanks.. Ed
post #9 of 171 Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Liked: 14
Wow....this is a phenomenal set!

With full 1080P, 1920 x 1080 native resolution, this HDTV is awesome as a PC monitor, game box display or watching movies (BlueRay or PC download to a USB thumb drive).

Although my computers also have HDMI and DVI support, I initially connected via VGA, which I am still using (e.g. excellent color, crisp text etc.). The equalizer available in the standard sound mode really provided decent sound quality for such small speakers.

Having PIP is a really nice feature too and the picture quality in a 4" x 2.5" window is impressive (can even read small scrolling text). When I first turned PIP on, there was no audio. Don't care for the e-manual (awkward, no index etc.), but a quick call to Samsung customer service squared away the missing audio.
post #10 of 171 Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcb View Post

Jim,

How is text in PC mode? Do you use HDMI to HDMI or DVI to HDMI?

I am also considering UN22D5000, but today I found another similar model in UN22D5003. Is it 5003 the update version of 5000? 5003 has 120Hz clear motion rate, 5000 is 60Hz. I guess 120 is better in watching sport?

UN22D5003
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...ype=prd_detail

UN22D5000
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...ail&returnurl=

Right now I am just using VGA, but I might switch to DVI to HDMI soon. I think the text looks great in PC mode.

As a related note, does anybody know of any quality A/B coaxial switches? I tried a cheap Philips slider today and there is enough insertion loss that my signal pix elates. I was sort of eying up a Channel Master CM 3206 Coaxial A/B Switch 75 Ohm High Performance Isolation 80 dB Commercial Grade AB Switch A/V Video Selector Heavy Duty Satellite Dish Off-Air HD TV Antenna Digital Signal Connection, Part # CM3206 Channel Master CM 3206 Coaxial A/B Switch.
post #11 of 171 Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Found a solution to the e-manual (e.g. awkward, no index etc.).

It can be downloaded from the Samsung site as a .pdf file.

Then you can print it out or electronically search the entire document for specific words, topics of interest.

For example, I found 17 instances of "pip" that I could immediately go to.
post #12 of 171 Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Any idea why the 27" version of this tv is not offered in North America? I am guessing the "N" in the model number means North America. Overseas has model UE27D5000. "E" is European? 32" is too big for my viewing distance. 22 to 27" is good size for the distance.

Also, there is another site with almost the same name as this forum.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-sh...bout-them.html

Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE27.../dp/B004S5ZWCO

http://www.samsung.com/ch_fr/consume...ype=prd_detail
post #13 of 171 Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Ironically, I was just wondering why there isn't a 26" version here in the US! Maybe it just hasn't reached North America yet.
post #14 of 171 Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednigma View Post

Can someone who owns this TV tell me if the screen is matte antiglare, semi-matte or glossy? Also if you view the screen from a low angle, does the picture dim?

The screen is not glossy, but some form of matte. I'm using it in a room that has lots of windows, a large sliding door and have no issues whatsoever, with glare or refection.

The picture does dim a bit when viewed from a low angle. When seated at my desk, the screen is lower than eye level by about 15-20 degrees however, the degradation is very minimal. Instead of a tilt stand, within the menu, there are electronic display tilt options available (e.g. lean back or standing) that seemed to work well. Down the road, I'll just put the unit on a 4-5" riser.

That said, until now, my prior monitor was a Samsung 2333HD, monitor with built-in HDTV tuner (e.g. 1920 x 1080 TF panel). Without question, the screen uniformity, viewing angles, color and added features are much better with the UN22D5000.

I just bought a second one to use as a bedroom HDTV.
post #15 of 171 Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 PM

Just hooked up the TV to the PC. Both the text and color is not sharp. Four corners of the window scratch beyond the screen when in native mode 1920x1080. When I adjust to 1680x1050 (my previous Dell 22" IPS resolution), both are much clear and 4 corners are back in nornal. Any idea why? If I switch to TV mode, would the resolution change back to 1920x1080 or is it still at 1680x1050? FYI, I connect via DVI to HDMI 2 as labeled at the back of the TV. Would HDMI to HDMI be better?

Also, I see a dead pixel on the upper left corner of the screen. It is very noticeable in any light background like when viewing this forum. It will be return or exchange.

I think this UN22D5000 is a good size for me. However, I would like to try the Samsung UN32D4000. Any comment on that model? The resolution is even lower than my Dell. Would it be worst because of the low resolution? Again viewing distance is ~ 3'.
post #16 of 171 Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiao View Post

Wow....this is a phenomenal set!

With full 1080P, 1920 x 1080 native resolution, this HDTV is awesome as a PC monitor, game box display or watching movies (BlueRay or PC download to a USB thumb drive).

Although my computers also have HDMI and DVI support, I initially connected via VGA, which I am still using (e.g. excellent color, crisp text etc.). The equalizer available in the standard sound mode really provided decent sound quality for such small speakers.

Having PIP is a really nice feature too and the picture quality in a 4" x 2.5" window is impressive (can even read small scrolling text). When I first turned PIP on, there was no audio. Don't care for the e-manual (awkward, no index etc.), but a quick call to Samsung customer service squared away the missing audio.

Do you have problem on the four corners of scratching beyond the screen in PC mode (DVI to HDMI)? Are you using native 1920x1080 in PC mode? How is the color and text? I have to switch to a lower resolution in order to see the text clearly. The color is also nicer in lower resolution. I also found there is no sound in PIP (surf the web while PIP is on). Is it because of the DVI to HDMI connection? I know DVI doesn't have sound, only HDMI to HDMI. What is the solution Samsung rep provide? Please read my post above.
post #17 of 171 Old 06-15-2011, 09:29 AM

With my Win XP desktop, I'm connected via VGA and display is perfect (e.g. fitment wise and very sharp text).

If your set up this way, first make sure the PC's display resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 (it should automatically happen via plug and play when you start up). Also check in the menu's picture mode that your setting is for 16x9 and not zoom or wide screen. A DVI connection should also be as above. Neither VGA or DVI will use the built-in speakers unless you use an additional audio cable.

In order to get PIP with sound, go to the menu, and scroll down down to plug and play (Icon w/ gears). Turn on PIP and then go to sound select and select sub (not main).

Once set up, you can use the remote tools button to toggle PIP on/off.

With my Win 7 laptop, I'm connected via HDMI. This machine has integrated Intel graphics. In the display properties area, there is a place where you can adjust both the horizontal and vertical scaling (otherwise display content goes off the screen).
post #18 of 171 Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM

I would love to get my hands on the 27" version of UN27D500 but it is only avaialble overseas. Any idea?
post #19 of 171 Old 06-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

I was reading the manual, but I am still a little unclear on one aspect of the PIP function. It looks like the main picture can be component, HDMI, or PC, but the PIP function must be TV. Does that mean that it can be either an NTSC or ATSC signal, but it must come in via the F connector then? The reason I ask is that I have two older Samsung LNT1953Hs and one Samsung SyncMaster 192MP. Each is a bit different from one another and different still from the Samsung UN22XD5000 in how in PIP function works.

The Samsung SyncMaster 192MP was my first flat screen Samsung. I bought it because I wanted a flat screen computer monitor and having the ability to watch TV with the PIP function was a nice bonus. It came "digital ready" meaning it only has an NTSC tuner. It also allows more flexibility on what is main and what is the sub-screen. For example, if I wanted to, I could have the TV be the main screen and the computer be the small PIP screen.

Somewhat more recently I bought two of the Samsung LNT 1953H TVs. They have built in NTSC and ATSC tuners BUT when using the PIP function, only content via the NTSC tuner will work. Since it has two F connectors, I connect one to a digital to analog TV tuner for local over the air channels. The "cable" input is fed DISH network content from my DISH 722k receiver, since it modulates on Cable 73 for "TV1" and Cable 93 is "TV2". The computer content for the main screen must be connected via a VGA cable. Just last night I tried HDMI, which works great for the computer connection, but will not allow the PIP to work.

Now with the Samsung UN22XD5000, it only has one F connector. I usually just leave it connected to the DISH receiver, but it would be nice to occasionally switch to an over the air antenna. I still don't know if it matters whether the computer can be connected via HDMI and the PIP will still work or not. Also, can the PIP work with component or composite input?

I have also noticed that with the UN22XD5000 I can adjust volume of the PIP content. On the LNT1953H I would have to adjust volume from the computer speakers or switch it to the main content.

Also, as a side note, has anybody here ever done any software updates for their Samsung TVs? I seem to recall that software updates might be available, but I have never looked for them.
post #20 of 171 Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM

When I use my laptop, connected via HDMI, PIP works.

The PIP material is always what the tuner sees , which in my case, I receive OTA via an antenna.

You can watch a program whose signal has passed through the TV’s tuner and watch one external video source simultaneously. For example, if you have a cable box connected to the Cable In jack, you can use PIP to watch programs from the cable box and watch a movie from a Blu-ray player attached to the HDMI In jack. The picture from the external video source (e.g. Component, HDMI, PC) will be in the main screen and the picture from the TV’s tuner will be in the PIP sub-picture window.

When you do a channel scan, it can be for Air (antenna), or Cable, or both. Although there are no longer any analog broadcasters in my area, the scan looked for both digital and analog stations. Once scanned, you can select Air or Cable in the PIP menu as the source and select a channel. Additionally, within this menu, you can choose to listen to the sound from the Main picture or the Sub picture, PIP window location and/or size.

With the DISH receiver on, you should be able to find the channel it modulates to.

While the UN22D5000 only has one F connector, many satellite receivers also have built-in OTA tuners, to which you can connect your antenna. If not, you will either need to add a A/B switch or 2 way splitter (combines 2 ports into 1) to the single F connector.

For those that have cable, the UN22D5000 has a QAM tuner and will receive cable without a set top box (as required by the FCC, including HD broadcasters in your area, even if you have not subscribed to the cable providers HD service).
post #21 of 171 Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:

With my Win XP desktop, I'm connected via VGA and display is perfect (e.g. fitment wise and very sharp text).

If your set up this way, first make sure the PC's display resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 (it should automatically happen via plug and play when you start up). Also check in the menu's picture mode that your setting is for 16x9 and not zoom or wide screen. A DVI connection should also be as above. Neither VGA or DVI will use the built-in speakers unless you use an additional audio cable.

In order to get PIP with sound, go to the menu, and scroll down down to plug and play (Icon w/ gears). Turn on PIP and then go to sound select and select sub (not main).

Once set up, you can use the remote tools button to toggle PIP on/off.

With my Win 7 laptop, I'm connected via HDMI. This machine has integrated Intel graphics. In the display properties area, there is a place where you can adjust both the horizontal and vertical scaling (otherwise display content goes off the screen).

PIP with sound works now.

The window still scratch beyond the screen on PC mode. I check the pic is 16:9 in 1920x1080. The only way the screen fit properly is by selecting "fit screen" in the same "pic mode" menu.
post #22 of 171 Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM

I seems to have solved the "screen scratch over the edge problem" after reading this review. A simple name change do the trick. Now pic and text is clear and sharp in PC mode @ 1920x1080.

Quote:

If you use this TV as your computer monitor, when you first connect via HDMI/DVI it's going to look pretty awful, and this is because you need to make a few settings changes on the TV to ensure better display of the signal from your computer. The first thing you should do is rename the HDMI/DVI source listing on the TV (having ensured you plug the HDMI/DVI cable into the bottom most HDMI/DVI input slot). You need to change this by pressing Source on your remote when the computer is connected and running. Then press Tools and select Edit Name. Change to PC

Since I found two dead pixel on the screen, it will need to return and exchange. While I am at it, I have another thought and try a Samsung UN32D4000. Anyone has comment on that model? It has only 720p on a much bigger screen. Would the PQ be better or worst than the UN22D5000?
post #23 of 171 Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

I am giving some thought to buying a second Samsung UN22D5000 and running these in the dual monitor mode with a computer. I am just trying to anticipate any problems and I am wondering with regards to the remote controls, if I use two of these side by side, how can I specify which remote controls which Samsung? Is it possible to change the remote control address? I suppose the work around might be to turn it on manually and make changes without the remote, but if I could change the remote control address so that they are different from one another I think that might be the best solution.
post #24 of 171 Old 06-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Having set up the UN22D5000 and UN22D5003 side-by-side and used/observed them . . . I'm really left rather unimpressed by the 5003. As far as features and connectors go it's a step back. The 5000 can be easily wall-mounted right up against a wall, almost completely flush, because the component (via a handy breakout cable), hdmi, power, and other connections are all arranged sideways or facing down. The 5003, everything goes straight into the back, meaning you'll spend a couple inches or 5-6 cm and can't mount it fully flush to the wall. There's no optical output on the 5003, there is in the 5000. There's no VGA connector on the 5003, there is on the 5000. There's also a headphone-out port (3.5mm) on the 5000, not on the 5003. There's a 3.5mm PC audio-in on the 5000, not so on the 5003. The 5000 also has a better, sturdier stand, and is perhaps it doesn't matter to most including myself, but the 5000 has a sexier bezel and has a more fully featured remote. And the remote on the 5003 seems eerily similar to the remotes that Samsung was dishing out with their 2008/9 equipment. That tells me that maybe they're just recycling old components into this thing.

I don't notice the 5003's panel to be appreciably superior to the 5000's, so all-in-all, can't recommend the 5003 since it seems like a stripped-down after-thought.

The 5000 itself, however, I can whole-heartily recommend. The quality is great, it's easy to get the picture relatively close the D65, it has oodles of features and is well-executed in design and layout. All-in-all you can tell they put at least an ounce of thought into it and intended it for a semi-premium audience.
post #25 of 171 Old 06-18-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:

I have another thought and try a Samsung UN32D4000. Anyone has comment on that model? It has only 720p on a much bigger screen. Would the PQ be better or worst than the UN22D5000?

Happy to see that you fixed your display problem by renaming HDMI/DVI to PC.

I tried that as well and believe it improved the sharpness a bit. Apparently this has the monitor do the scaling as I had to increase the horizontal and vertical scaling within the computer graphics back to full (e.g. 100%).

Shortly after buying my 1st UN22D5000, I saw a LG 720P HDTV on sale for only $100 more. Returned it the next day and bought another UN22D5000. As a monitor/TV combo, I found the much lower native resolution to be unsatisfactory.

Full 1080P has a native resolution of1920 x 1080 (2,073,600 pixels), compared to a native resolution of 1280 x 720 (921,600 pixels).

With 2.25 times as many pixels, although smaller, there was a significant difference in the picture quality and the amount of viewable information.

I found this to be especially important running software programs (e.g. with less resolution, everything looked squished and difficult to read).
post #26 of 171 Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Having set up the UN22D5000 and UN22D5003 side-by-side and used/observed them . . . I'm really left rather unimpressed by the 5003. As far as features and connectors go it's a step back. The 5000 can be easily wall-mounted right up against a wall, almost completely flush, because the component (via a handy breakout cable), hdmi, power, and other connections are all arranged sideways or facing down. The 5003, everything goes straight into the back, meaning you'll spend a couple inches or 5-6 cm and can't mount it fully flush to the wall. There's no optical output on the 5003, there is in the 5000. There's no VGA connector on the 5003, there is on the 5000. There's also a headphone-out port (3.5mm) on the 5000, not on the 5003. There's a 3.5mm PC audio-in on the 5000, not so on the 5003. The 5000 also has a better, sturdier stand, and is perhaps it doesn't matter to most including myself, but the 5000 has a sexier bezel and has a more fully featured remote. And the remote on the 5003 seems eerily similar to the remotes that Samsung was dishing out with their 2008/9 equipment. That tells me that maybe they're just recycling old components into this thing.

I don't notice the 5003's panel to be appreciably superior to the 5000's, so all-in-all, can't recommend the 5003 since it seems like a stripped-down after-thought.

The 5000 itself, however, I can whole-heartily recommend. The quality is great, it's easy to get the picture relatively close the D65, it has oodles of features and is well-executed in design and layout. All-in-all you can tell they put at least an ounce of thought into it and intended it for a semi-premium audience.

Is the D5003 an update version of the D5000? I am also looking at the D4000 and D4003.
post #27 of 171 Old 06-19-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Happy to see that you fixed your display problem by renaming HDMI/DVI to PC.

I tried that as well and believe it improved the sharpness a bit. Apparently this has the monitor do the scaling as I had to increase the horizontal and vertical scaling within the computer graphics back to full (e.g. 100%).

What do you mean by monitor do the scaling and why do you have to increase the scaling manually? Is it a bad thing for it to downgrade itself?

I am trying out a UN32D4000 now. It has native 720p. However, in PC mode there are options for up to 1920x1080 resolution, although the recommend one is 1360x768. When 1080 is chosen, the text is in clear. I will return it and get back to UN22D5000.
post #28 of 171 Old 06-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Can someone please answer the question I posted (#8)? Just look at the screen when the unit is off and tell me if the screen coating is glossy, matte or in between.

Thanks
post #29 of 171 Old 06-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednigma View Post

Can someone please answer the question I posted (#8)? Just look at the screen when the unit is off and tell me if the screen coating is glossy, matte or in between.Thanks

As stated in post #9, the screen is not glossy, but some form of matte. I'm using it in a room that has lots of windows, a large sliding door and have no issues whatsoever, with glare or refection.

Compared to my LNxxC Samsung model, I would say matte. The LNxxC is semi-matte as I can see very faint reflections when it is off whereas, no reflections when the UNxxD is off.
post #30 of 171 Old 06-21-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:

What do you mean by monitor do the scaling and why do you have to increase the scaling manually? Is it a bad thing for it to downgrade itself?

I am trying out a UN32D4000 now. It has native 720p. However, in PC mode there are options for up to 1920x1080 resolution, although the recommend one is 1360x768. When 1080 is chosen, the text is in clear. I will return it and get back to UN22D5000.

When I initially connected my laptop via HDMI, some of the image stretched off the screen and I had to go into display properties and scale back a bit on the horizontal and vertical settings to get the proper fit. Then when I renamed the HDMI/DVI sorce to PC, the image might have been a bit sharper, but it did not fill the screen, so I changed the scaling back to full (e..g 100%) for proper fitment.

A 32" screen has 2.11X the viewing area of a 22" screen. However, a 1080P HDTV has more than twice as many pixels as a 720P set. When you factor in screen size and native resolution, the UN22D5000 has a pixel density almost 5 times that of the UN32D4000 (e.g. 10,029 pixels / sq. in. vs. 2,108 pixels / sq. in.). This would be most noticeable when viewing the screens close up.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un22d5000 22 Inch 1080p 60hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un22d5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page