Display problem with Samsung LN55a950 - Horizontal lines on left side - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About 3 days ago I noticed something strange on my a950. There are black horizontal lines that start of strongest on the very left of the screen and fade to gone at about the middle. The lines are maybe 3 pixels tall before fading, but they get "less black" as they go to the right more than they actually shrink. I'd say they occur about every 1/4" or so, uniformly. The issue is there on all HDMI inputs, so it's nothing that's wrong with just my cable box or xbox or something. I tried fiddling with the picture settings, but as I expected, nothing really helped there.

Looking online, I see that some other people have had this issue with Samsungs, but I haven't seen much about it occuring on the a950. Naturally, this is super frustrating to have a $3800 less than 2 year old TV crap out. The others who had this problem with other models of Samsungs said that it was the "display panel" in theirs, and the repair is north of $1000.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Worst case, if it is the "display panel", any chance of me buying the part direct and repairing it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
I had an identical problem with a UN55D8000. It was within a day of receiving it, so I ended up sending it back. I don't know of a way to repair it short of calling Samsung.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM

We have an LN55A950 and the same thing is happening to us, except the problem is on the right. We bought the TV at Best Buy and also the Black Tie warranty. Of course they said the board is no longer available, so they will replace on a technology to technology basis. HOW?? I guess that means we may get $50?? What is out there to compare to?

We don't buy our items to only replace them in a year or three. We purchase things to last more than 5 years AT LEAST. Frustrated. I can't believe a board isn't available to even order. We spent too much on this TV to just throw it away.

What did you end up doing?
post #4 of 11 Old 02-16-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Got the board replaced by best buy with no issues. Guy who told you they don't make the board anymore has no idea what he's talking about. We went through Geek Squad and all was well.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeterson70 View Post

We have an LN55A950 and the same thing is happening to us, except the problem is on the right. We bought the TV at Best Buy and also the Black Tie warranty. Of course they said the board is no longer available, so they will replace on a technology to technology basis. HOW?? I guess that means we may get $50?? What is out there to compare to?

We don't buy our items to only replace them in a year or three. We purchase things to last more than 5 years AT LEAST. Frustrated. I can't believe a board isn't available to even order. We spent too much on this TV to just throw it away.

What did you end up doing?

Hey man, sh*t happens. Good news is, local dimming tech in your A950 is actually less common today than it was when you initially purchased your set. A comparable replacement would be a Sony XBR-55HX929, as long as the price you paid for the A950 isn't exceeded by the cost of the XBR; I'm betting it isn't.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #6 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 AM

I know stuff happens. Was worried about how Best Buy would view it, especially with all the complaints I was reading. I thought they would compare all the other additional technology the newer TVs had, like 3D, 240hZ, instead of comparing only the local dimming (they told me over the phone technology to technology).

I was satisfied with my Best Buy. Basically they gave us $4,000 to put toward any TV (not on a card), so we considered the Sony 55" 929 or the 60" Elite (and pay about $600 more per the sales guy plus taxes), which are the only TVs with full array local dimming. The Elite was the front runner until I sat in front of it and saw all the TVs behind me. Totally distracted me. We have a wall of windows the TV will face. Didn't want to shell out the additional money only to be disappointed while we watched TV during the day. So we went with the Sony, there wasn't as much glare. If only we had a media room... My husband was happy we didn't shell out the extra money, but he would have for me Yes, we know we are a little backward.

We are not disposable TV buyers like lots of people seem to be today. When you spend $4,000 on a TV, you expect it to last longer than 3 years. Yes we bought the warranty again, unfortunately we will only get $2,500 to spend next time but hope we won't have to use the warranty and it lasts longer than 5 years, at least.

I loved my Samsung; I hope I love the Sony just as much! Getting it delivered on Monday.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeterson70 View Post

I know stuff happens. Was worried about how Best Buy would view it, especially with all the complaints I was reading. I thought they would compare all the other additional technology the newer TVs had, like 3D, 240hZ, instead of comparing only the local dimming (they told me over the phone technology to technology).

I was satisfied with my Best Buy. Basically they gave us $4,000 to put toward any TV (not on a card), so we considered the Sony 55" 929 or the 60" Elite (and pay about $600 more per the sales guy plus taxes), which are the only TVs with full array local dimming. The Elite was the front runner until I sat in front of it and saw all the TVs behind me. Totally distracted me. We have a wall of windows the TV will face. Didn't want to shell out the additional money only to be disappointed while we watched TV during the day. So we went with the Sony, there wasn't as much glare. If only we had a media room... My husband was happy we didn't shell out the extra money, but he would have for me Yes, we know we are a little backward.

We are not disposable TV buyers like lots of people seem to be today. When you spend $4,000 on a TV, you expect it to last longer than 3 years. Yes we bought the warranty again, unfortunately we will only get $2,500 to spend next time but hope we won't have to use the warranty and it lasts longer than 5 years, at least.

I loved my Samsung; I hope I love the Sony just as much! Getting it delivered on Monday.

Which Sony did you end up buying? The 929? You are right, that's an awful lot of money to spend on a tv that doesn't last 5+yrs. I recently upgraded all my sets, and looked at all the tvs below Elite. I ended up with Sony NX720, because of its reliability.

I have a huge balcony glass door facing my Sony, and I don't have issue with glare 85% of the time. I have a semi-matte tv, and it causes reflections too, but they are little more annoying. The light defuses wide on the semi-matte, and on the monolith display, it defuses out less. The Samsungs have a glossier and more reflective display. However I saw a few of the low end 2012 Samsung models that have a semi-matte screen.

In regards to defects, I have looked and I can't find any defects on my panel. The HX929 is not a quality controlled as the NX720, with blooming and banding be the predominant complaints of owners. There are very few models that have a track record for decent QA and a perfect panel. The NX720 maybe one of the few that I haven't heard as many complaints as the others.

Good luck
post #8 of 11 Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeterson70 View Post

I was satisfied with my Best Buy. Basically they gave us $4,000 to put toward any TV (not on a card), so we considered the Sony 55" 929 or the 60" Elite (and pay about $600 more per the sales guy plus taxes), which are the only TVs with full array local dimming. The Elite was the front runner until I sat in front of it and saw all the TVs behind me. Totally distracted me. We have a wall of windows the TV will face. Didn't want to shell out the additional money only to be disappointed while we watched TV during the day. So we went with the Sony, there wasn't as much glare. If only we had a media room... My husband was happy we didn't shell out the extra money, but he would have for me
Yes, we know we are a little backward.

Ugh Looks like I am joing the same club with my beloved LN55A950...i absolutely loved that TV! I am also in need a new board which I assume does not exist per your statement. Same thing for me, bought it at Best Buy with the black tie protection so hopefully I have the same luck as you with a refund.

Any advice would be appreciated!...
post #9 of 11 Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Does the issue look like the pictures in this thread? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1007540/official-samsung-lnxxa650-owners-thread/23400
post #10 of 11 Old 10-26-2012, 08:45 PM

No but the symptoms are similar. Happens on all inputs and also over the TV menu as well.

Great link, thanks for the heads up!

post #11 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM

My LN55A950 started showing a dimming vertical area, about 5 inches wide that goes entirely from bottom to top. Horizontally it starts about a foot in from the left edge. It really looks like a tube is flickering along the entire vertical - but that makes no sense with a local dimming LED tv right? So if there isn't a big tube back there flickering, then it seems it must be an electronics issue controlling that section and that sounds like an expensive problem. Am thinking of taking it to a shop or opening it up myself and seeing if I can make sense of this. But it's not like I can run down to radio shack and get parts for it so that's probably not a good idea.

Has anyone seen this before? I'll get a picture of posted next time I'm watching and it starts happening.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page