Official Samsung LNxxD630 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 606 Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback. It's hard to tell if the sq01 in store is any better due to the lighting on the sales floor, but it sounds like from Vic's experience that it may be similar. It may just be the way my tv looks with the lighting in my place (not a lot of room light). My parents have an ln55c630 from last year (AA04, AUO panel), and I can't notice this issue at all really, but their tv is right beside a large bay window. Maybe the best solution is a bias light.

I got it for $680 in Canada, so it was a good deal, I'll probably just keep it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 606 Old 04-29-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I don't know which panel I have, but I see no change in colors until I am at a 45 degree angle.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #453 of 606 Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
To me LCD tvs look better with light in room,even a lot of light( CRT look worse).Dark rooms make problems more noticeable LCD . I think on mine the skin colors faded when on angle.

Definitely hard to tell what tv looks like in store.
post #454 of 606 Old 04-29-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I don't know which panel I have, but I see no change in colors until I am at a 45 degree angle.

Same with mine. It's better than the Sharp I had previously.
post #455 of 606 Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM

About veiwing angles I have a d550 with an sq09. I have had all three panels at one time. But returned them because of other problems. I play xbox on it in a dark room. The sq09 has the best viewing angles and color out if them all. Right behind that is the AA07 then the HN12. The aa is Auo and the hn is a chi. The Auo had banding and the hn just looked washed out. The blacks on the aa07 and sq09 are about the same, the hn had really bad blacks. I do get some ghosting and haloing on the sq09 but only if its a dark object with light background or vise versa. I think its cause of the high contrast ratio. When playing skyrim and have black load screen I can't tell where the screen ends. Over all the sq09 out performs any of the other panels. I also have a lg with a ips panel in my LR. I do like it but the blacks are no where close to the sammy. And you really need bias light by it to make them look better. But I like gaming in the dark so an ips was out for me. Plus I go a ln40d550 for $488 on clearance a wally world. I know this is the d630 thread but the only difference between the d550 and d630 is the hertz. The technology behind the panels are the same. This is my own experience with all three of the panels sammy puts in this line and IMHO get one with a samsung panel SQ, HQ or any other samsung panel. This way you actually get a REAL samsung tv not part of one. BTW about the version numbers only the first two letters tell who makes them the last two numbers tell what batch. You can see this number on the outside of the box white sticker with model number.
post #456 of 606 Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM

Chiming in a little late, but my LN40D630 has an SQ2 panel, and viewing angles are probably the worst I've seen in any LCD TV that I have owned. (Currently have four.) This is definitely a panel that needs to be viewed from dead center for optimal performance. But, as others have noted, the black levels and screen uniformity are the best that I have seen, so overall, I am happy with this set. Others seem to have had better luck with viewing angles with the SQ1 panel so that may be what to look for it that is important to you.
post #457 of 606 Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squa7ch View Post

Hmmm, I find the CNET settings...white is more yellow than white...not sure I like it.

It's because CNET has it set to WARM 2. Try WARM 1 or NORMAL for less yellow in white.
post #458 of 606 Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Don't think I mentioned earlier on this thread(Did so on another thread),but when watching hockey,and some other FAST moving stuff the sq01 or sq02 panel I had displayed a blurry motion to it.Not the most noticable problem but a bit of a letdown considering it had such a good picture and color.Still scenes Are crystal clear.The off angle fade out seems to be an issue on a lot of lcds I've seen.
post #459 of 606 Old 05-31-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLOUDDEAD View Post

I just bought an LN46D630 over the weekend and would like to report my findings and ask a couple of questions.

This is my first Samsung and is the latest member of a growing list of sets I've owned in the past year and a half in an attempt to find a satisfactory set for my money. I have already owned and returned:

two different Sony KDL-52Z5100s (corner flashlighting, banding and clouding)
a Sony KDL-52NX800 (corner flashlighting, banding and terrible clouding)
a Vizio XVT553SV (disruptive side effects of local dimming)
a Vizio E470VL (corner/edge flashlighting and HORRIBLE black level)

So far the picture quality of the LN46D630 seems to be acceptable, and I have some new settings to try this weekend thanks to this thread. I see minor corner flashlighting and VERY minor banding and clouding. I'm also not a huge fan of the bronze colored strip in the bottom part of the bezel, although once it was sitting in my living room it was far less intrusive than i expected. I could live with all of these issues and see this being a keeper if the gaming lag wasn't so noticeable.

Even with Game mode on and with all extra processing and advanced features turned off I still notice input lag. I have a PS3 connected via HDMI and when i pull the trigger in SOCOM the bullet takes a noticeable split second to hit the wall and the sound of the shot comes as the bullet hits the wall, not as the controller vibrates. All of the previous sets I had before were fine in this respect right out of the box, even the Vizio E470VL.

I tried to at least fix the sound delay by connecting a set of amplified computer speakers and sub directly to the digital audio out and messing with the SPDIF audio delay in the Settings > General section and that didn't seem to do anything at all. I thought the manual said that would help but maybe I misunderstood. Either way it seems like the whole PS3 signal (audio and video) is a little off time and even though it is playable it will be a deal breaker for me if I cannot find a fix.

I have 90 days to return the set, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if it seems likely that there may be a software update coming for this set to help with input lag.

Thanks

One thing I noticed with this set in terms of game lag was that each hdmi input has a different level of lag. HDMI 1 had the least lag. Although I haven't tried the 4th input. I probably wont try the 4th because I am satisfied with the very little lag HDMI 1 input gives me.
post #460 of 606 Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
How many different panel versions (four letter/digit codes) does the LND630 come in and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Aside from black levels, how does this set compare to the LG LK450 with the S-IPS panel?
post #461 of 606 Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is it possible to disable frame interpolation (or adjust any of the advanced display settings for that matter) when viewing from the TV's DLNA connection?

So far, I have been able to disable this on my HDMI inputs, component, and USB inputs, but when I open the TV's menu while viewing from the DLNA client (on any server) it immediately switches to HDMI #3 input, and then my settings for that input are applied (though I'm no longer viewing the same channel, of course, so this is unhelpful). When switching back to a DLNA "channel" it returns to factory display settings.

Is there a global setting that disables the frame interpolation feature, or any way to force to the TV into 60Hz mode that doesn't require opening the on-screen menu?

Thanks!

[Samsung LN46D630M3FXZA]

~Anna~
post #462 of 606 Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 PM

[bump]

Has anyone with this model Samsung been able to change the advanced display settings when viewing from the TV's DLNA client?
post #463 of 606 Old 06-10-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

How many different panel versions (four letter/digit codes) does the LND630 come in and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Aside from black levels, how does this set compare to the LG LK450 with the S-IPS panel?
I'd like to know too.
LK/LD 450 is a great all-round panel, but blacks are meh.

Panel lottery info is important too.
post #464 of 606 Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 View Post

I'd like to know too.
LK/LD 450 is a great all-round panel, but blacks are meh.
Panel lottery info is important too.[/quote

I've has a lk450 with a ips panel and had all three of the different panels sammy uses. Sammy will use a AUO AMVA has the letters AA for version number, a CMO SMVA has the letters CN HN and there's one more but forget it and the last is a samsung SPVA has letters SS SQ HQ For the version number. The AMVA ans SPVA were similar but every AMVA I would try had banding.The SMVA I tried looked washed out and blacks were horrible plus banding. I finally got a SPVA version Sq09 also did loop test to confirm its a SPVA. It has no major problems that I got with the other two. The AMVA and SPVA are close with PQ and blacks. Color on them are good too. The SPVA has alot better veiwing angle than the AMVA but no where compared to the IPS.
I use my sammy for gaming and like to sit in a dark room and after tring all three different panels sammy uses and owning a lg 42lk520 with a ips panel I am very satisfied with my sammy sq09 panel. The blacks are almost as good as a plasma. I do get a little ghosting and haloing but that's a trade off for better blacks. I think that's why the ips don't have these issuse there blacks are no where near as good. Just do a google search for lcd panel tech and you should find a site called TFT central this has alot of information on each panel tech. Or search the AVS site I know there's something on it also.
post #465 of 606 Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Is it possible to disable frame interpolation (or adjust any of the advanced display settings for that matter) when viewing from the TV's DLNA connection?

So far, I have been able to disable this on my HDMI inputs, component, and USB inputs, but when I open the TV's menu while viewing from the DLNA client (on any server) it immediately switches to HDMI #3 input, and then my settings for that input are applied (though I'm no longer viewing the same channel, of course, so this is unhelpful). When switching back to a DLNA "channel" it returns to factory display settings.

Is there a global setting that disables the frame interpolation feature, or any way to force to the TV into 60Hz mode that doesn't require opening the on-screen menu?

Thanks!

[Samsung LN46D630M3FXZA]

~Anna~
post #466 of 606 Old 06-26-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

does this set have the same annoying auto-dimming backlight 'feature' the D550 has? on the D550, it happens on dark scenes or completely blank screens and can be quite distracting when watching something like movie credits at the start or end of the movie
post #467 of 606 Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Just picked one up tonight, coming from the Samsung 46e550 and the image is night and day, I have the sq01 used mixed settings from this thread and the picture is incredible seems like I'm watching in someone's window, great tv for the money and I will post again after some weeks of watching.
post #468 of 606 Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 PM

I have a comment and a question about using 24p mode with a Blu-ray player connected to this TV. I have a LN40D630 and I am using a Samsung Blu-ray player. I have always turned 24p on when watching movies because I understand the technology and the purpose for sending 24 fps content to a compatible TV. However, with the previous C LCD that I have (LN46C750) and the new D series LCD’s, there seems to be some issues when using 24p mode and also using any variant of Auto Motion Plus. The film jerks and stutters every so often. I have researched this particular phenomena and I am certain there is no fix. Most people choose to leave AMP off or set it to clear, and yes, that does solve the problem, but I enjoy a small amount of smoothing because it adds some pop and texture to certain films. This is not the question though. I recently decided to turn 24p off on my Blu-ray player and turn the Auto Motion Plus to standard and it seems that the jerky stuttering is gone.

With 24p turned off I know that my Blu-ray player is sending video in a 2:3 pull down conversion to my TV, but what is the TV doing with that signal? Does anyone know how a TV that is capable of 5:5 pull down (120hz) handles a 2:3 pull down signal? Is it just me or has anyone else turned 24p off and noticed an improvement in the motion of the picture? Everything I have read tells me that I am wrong because technically 24p turned on should be better, but I can’t help notice the improvement when I turn it off. Has anyone else tried that? Also, this is true for my other Samsung 750 and the Panny Blu-ray player I have hooked up to it. Please let me know if anyone else out there has any info on this. I don’t understand how it could be improved by turning 24p off. Maybe the processor in the TV is not as heavily taxed if 24p is off and it can keep up with the interpolation.
post #469 of 606 Old 07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshfever View Post

I have a comment and a question about using 24p mode with a Blu-ray player connected to this TV. I have a LN40D630 and I am using a Samsung Blu-ray player. I have always turned 24p on when watching movies because I understand the technology and the purpose for sending 24 fps content to a compatible TV. However, with the previous C LCD that I have (LN46C750) and the new D series LCD’s, there seems to be some issues when using 24p mode and also using any variant of Auto Motion Plus. The film jerks and stutters every so often. I have researched this particular phenomena and I am certain there is no fix. Most people choose to leave AMP off or set it to clear, and yes, that does solve the problem, but I enjoy a small amount of smoothing because it adds some pop and texture to certain films. This is not the question though. I recently decided to turn 24p off on my Blu-ray player and turn the Auto Motion Plus to standard and it seems that the jerky stuttering is gone.

With 24p turned off I know that my Blu-ray player is sending video in a 2:3 pull down conversion to my TV, but what is the TV doing with that signal? Does anyone know how a TV that is capable of 5:5 pull down (120hz) handles a 2:3 pull down signal? Is it just me or has anyone else turned 24p off and noticed an improvement in the motion of the picture? Everything I have read tells me that I am wrong because technically 24p turned on should be better, but I can’t help notice the improvement when I turn it off. Has anyone else tried that? Also, this is true for my other Samsung 750 and the Panny Blu-ray player I have hooked up to it. Please let me know if anyone else out there has any info on this. I don’t understand how it could be improved by turning 24p off. Maybe the processor in the TV is not as heavily taxed if 24p is off and it can keep up with the interpolation.

The D630 only offers true 1080/24p support with AMP not in the off or clear positions. Otherwise, if you send 1080/24p to the TV, it will perform 2:3 pulldown to convert it to 1080/60p. If you send 1080/60p to the TV directly, then the BD player is doing the 2:3 pulldown instead. If one of these scenarios looks better than the other then it means one device does 2:3 pulldown better than the other. Hope this makes sense and helps.
post #470 of 606 Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 AM

If I understand what you wrote correctly you are saying that 1080/24p playback can only be achieved by the TV with AMP in the standard or smooth setting? Am I reading that correctly?
post #471 of 606 Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I understand what you wrote correctly you are saying that 1080/24p playback can only be achieved by the TV with AMP in the standard or smooth setting? Am I reading that correctly?

Yes, plus the "Custom" setting.
post #472 of 606 Old 07-04-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

"Video processing: The LND630 series has most of the same processing options found on higher-end Samsungs, and when it comes to dejudder it offers more adjustability than the competition. Its three dejudder presets--Clear, Standard and Smooth--join a Custom setting under the Auto Motion Plus (AMP) menu. Engaging any of the three presets introduces the characteristic smoothing effect, as well as some artifacts, so we preferred the freedom of Custom. That mode, which includes both a Blur Reduction and a Judder Reduction setting, lets you tweak both parameters to your liking. We prefer minimal dejudder, but having the option to dial in as much or as little as you like is very welcome, and works much better than we saw on LG's custom system, for example.

In the AMP menu at Custom with Judder Reduction at 0 and Blur reduction at 10, the LND630 offers the best of both worlds. It turned in its full-motion resolution and handled 1080p/24 properly. With AMP set to Clear or Off, the set seemed to be treating the image with 2:3 pulldown, showing the slightly stuttering cadence seen on 60Hz models (Clear looked smoother than Off, however). The other AMP settings introduced more smoothing/dejudder.

As with some previous Samsungs the LND630 needs to be in Auto 1 film mode to pass the 1080i video deinterlacing test, for what it's worth."

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln46d630/4505-6482_7-34468754-2.html?tag=rvwBody;paginate
post #473 of 606 Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 AM

That’s for pointing me to that review. For what it’s worth, I actually went back to 24p mode. With 24p off there seemed to be a reduction in the frame skipping/stuttering during playback but there was also a noticeable reduction in the picture quality. It seemed a little duller than before. While watching LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring on Blu-ray I felt that it was dim, or dull, in some way. I turned 24p back on and it seemed to add more contrast, or at least appeared that way. It is almost hard to explain the improvements in any measurable way...it just seemed better. I guess I will just have to live with the frame skipping/stuttering while engaging AMP. Has anyone found any custom setting in AMP that reduces this effect? I don’t mind the occasional artifact or two, but the frame skipping and stuttering is distracting. Thanks for your reply.
post #474 of 606 Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That’s for pointing me to that review. For what it’s worth, I actually went back to 24p mode. With 24p off there seemed to be a reduction in the frame skipping/stuttering during playback but there was also a noticeable reduction in the picture quality. It seemed a little duller than before. While watching LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring on Blu-ray I felt that it was dim, or dull, in some way. I turned 24p back on and it seemed to add more contrast, or at least appeared that way. It is almost hard to explain the improvements in any measurable way...it just seemed better. I guess I will just have to live with the frame skipping/stuttering while engaging AMP. Has anyone found any custom setting in AMP that reduces this effect? I don’t mind the occasional artifact or two, but the frame skipping and stuttering is distracting. Thanks for your reply.

well true 24p support on your 120Hz TV is done via 5:5 pulldown, a process that doesn't add 2:3 pulldown judder to the 24fps source... there will still be 24fps judder like you see in the movie theater but it should not have the stuttering motion commonly found when 2:3 pulldown is applied to playback a 24fps source on a 60Hz display

of course, AMP doesn't work properly on the C and D series LCD/LEDs AFAIK and so dropped frames and/or stuttering can occur while in true 24p mode (5:5 pulldown)
post #475 of 606 Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM

do you know if this has been corrected in the E models that came out? I really like Samsung TV's and I have had a bunch. Also, is this problem present in the Plasma motion processing? Is it the same theory? I am interested in possible getting a Samsung plasma next time. Thanks for you help.
post #476 of 606 Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM

Just got LN40D630 from BB and version is SN02 bulit date MAY 2012.
post #477 of 606 Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

do you know if this has been corrected in the E models that came out? I really like Samsung TV's and I have had a bunch. Also, is this problem present in the Plasma motion processing? Is it the same theory? I am interested in possible getting a Samsung plasma next time. Thanks for you help.

don't know, but the LNxxE550 is 60Hz CCFL-LCD and doesn't have AMP... so it should be fine
post #478 of 606 Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikooknum View Post

The SN02 panel is a CMO one, probably S-MVA panel technology. The screen should be very uniform, but viewing angles could be quite narrow.
post #479 of 606 Old 07-05-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikooknum View Post

interesting - so Samsung is still building the D630 new in 2012, its not just 2011 leftovers...
post #480 of 606 Old 07-15-2012, 04:18 PM

I returned 40d630 with version SN02 due to bad vewing angles and got 46d630 with version SQ01 built date APRIL 2012.
PQ is just fantasic!
I'm very happy now even i spend $200 more..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46d630 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv Black , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page