Official Samsung LNxxD630 Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 606 Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I leave it "ON" for my EH6000, since Custom works for me when watching BD movies. I use Clear for everything else. In your case, use Clear on the TV and whether you leave 24p on or off on the PS3 is trivial since 2:3 pulldown will occur either way.
24p ON lets the TV do 2:3 pulldown
24p OFF lets the PS3 do it instead

Cool. Thanks for the info. I think I currently have it set to "off" and have had it off since I bought it. I've never had to worry about until now since my last tv was the Samsung UN55B6000. That tv was damn-near amazing and had excellent motion resolution.
Does the 2:3 pulldown have any effect if the tv is in 16x9 (overscan) and not screen-fit? I don't particular like the gaps of space on the top and bottom with screen-fit but don't know how to fix it so I just leave it 16x9.
Justin Sullins is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 606 Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Cool. Thanks for the info. I think I currently have it set to "off" and have had it off since I bought it. I've never had to worry about until now since my last tv was the Samsung UN55B6000. That tv was damn-near amazing and had excellent motion resolution.
Does the 2:3 pulldown have any effect if the tv is in 16x9 (overscan) and not screen-fit? I don't particular like the gaps of space on the top and bottom with screen-fit but don't know how to fix it so I just leave it 16x9.

aspect ratio/overscan has nothing to do with 2:3 pulldown


you can probably leave 24p OFF on the PS3 (as you have been doing so far) since I'm pretty sure it works properly on the PS3 but couldn't say with 100% certainty that the D630 does it perfectly too... since the D630 has various motion issues, the less motion processing it does the better

and you do have the latest firmware on the D630?
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #543 of 606 Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

aspect ratio/overscan has nothing to do with 2:3 pulldown
you can probably leave 24p OFF on the PS3 (as you have been doing so far) since I'm pretty sure it works properly on the PS3 but couldn't say with 100% certainty that the D630 does it perfectly too... since the D630 has various motion issues, the less motion processing it does the better
and you do have the latest firmware on the D630?

1004.0 is what I have. I'll just leave it off as I have for the last 5 years.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #544 of 606 Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

1004.0 is what I have. I'll just leave it off as I have for the last 5 years.

the website only shows 1002.2 (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LN46D630M3FXZA?)... weird, you think by now they would have put the latest version on the website (considering the model is pretty much discontinued at this point)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #545 of 606 Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

aspect ratio/overscan has nothing to do with 2:3 pulldown
you can probably leave 24p OFF on the PS3 (as you have been doing so far) since I'm pretty sure it works properly on the PS3 but couldn't say with 100% certainty that the D630 does it perfectly too... since the D630 has various motion issues, the less motion processing it does the better
and you do have the latest firmware on the D630?

I have my AMP settings on Clear. What film mode shoud I set it on or does it matter? (Auto 1, Auto 2, Off)
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #546 of 606 Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

What film mode shoud I set it on or does it matter? (Auto 1, Auto 2, Off)

Auto1 has always been the correct setting for that.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #547 of 606 Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Newbie
 
thorsten89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a LN46D630 and have a question about my display. Does it support PAL input signals via HDMI? I have a lot of DVD's from Germany and would like to watch them.
thorsten89 is offline  
post #548 of 606 Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark last night on Blu-Ray. The trilogy is in 1080/24p. My PS3 was set on Automatic for 1080/24Hz. The AMP Settings on the TV were on Clear and I did not see any judder/stutter. However, when the camera panned, background images vibrated a little. It was not bothersome at all though. I have calibrated via Disney WOW with the TV on Standard and have no complaints. After the movie was over I played a PS3 game and noticed Dynamic made the game look 100 times better than Standard. Anyone use Standard for regular content but Dynamic for video games?
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #549 of 606 Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark last night on Blu-Ray. The trilogy is in 1080/24p. My PS3 was set on Automatic for 1080/24Hz. The AMP Settings on the TV were on Clear and I did not see any judder/stutter. However, when the camera panned, background images vibrated a little. It was not bothersome at all though. I have calibrated via Disney WOW with the TV on Standard and have no complaints. After the movie was over I played a PS3 game and noticed Dynamic made the game look 100 times better than Standard. Anyone use Standard for regular content but Dynamic for video games?

sound like the effects of 2:3 pulldown, which happens in Clear
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #550 of 606 Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Newbie
 
thorsten89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten89 View Post

I have a LN46D630 and have a question about my display. Does it support PAL input signals via HDMI? I have a lot of DVD's from Germany and would like to watch them.

Does no one know this about the Samsung displays?
thorsten89 is offline  
post #551 of 606 Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

sound like the effects of 2:3 pulldown, which happens in Clear

So if you're playing back a film at 1080p/24, what AutoMotion setting on the Samsung gives the steadiest, non-jerky images?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
pbarach is offline  
post #552 of 606 Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

So if you're playing back a film at 1080p/24, what AutoMotion setting on the Samsung gives the steadiest, non-jerky images?

Clear is best on the D630 (Custom does 5:5 pulldown, which is better than 2:3 pulldown but the mode is broken on the D630 so it doesn't matter)

On the EH6000 I had, Custom was best (BR 10 and JR 0).
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #553 of 606 Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Member
 
jeannie72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Clear is best on the D630 (Custom does 5:5 pulldown, which is better than 2:3 pulldown but the mode is broken on the D630 so it doesn't matter)
On the EH6000 I had, Custom was best (BR 10 and JR 0).
What are people using to gauge their AMP settings?
What I did to test both blur and judder reduction was to set start & endpoints for a repeating segment of video on my dvd player.
I saw the most dramatic AMP results when watching animation, so that's what I used, in a scene where there was movement from left to right.
When I adjusted the judder, a piece of foreground "scenery" would be affected. With judder at zero, it would look blurry. When judder was set to ten, it would look like this part of the scenery was a cardboard cutout moving independently from the rest of the image (very dramatic and "3d", for lack of a better word). Any numbers between zero and ten would produce a predictable difference. I mean the blur simply got less and less until there was none at ten.
Every once and a while there would be a "skip" in the smoothness. But this was present using all settings above zero. There didn't seem to be less frequent "skips" based on the judder setting.

On the other hand, I couldn't notice any difference when adjusting blur.
What should I be looking for? It seems like everyone is doing the opposite of my settings.

Plasma,
I don't understand the 5:5 pulldown comment. I checked the wiki article so I have an understanding of pulldown, but I am lost as to how this translates to AMP settings.
jeannie72 is offline  
post #554 of 606 Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie72 View Post

What are people using to gauge their AMP settings?

I can definitely notice when it's working horribly. This shows up on 1080i TV shows as a combination of the "soap opera effect" (smooth image that looks like live video) interspersed with skips that look like dropped frames. You can clearly see how the AMP feature is working if you have a repeated video scene that pans slowly from one side to the other and there is some kind of pattern in the background, such as an in-focus brick wall.

The easiest way I've found to check the settings is with the Spears & Munsil BD test disc, which has such a brick wall scene in its opening "demo sequence"--just use the repeat function on your player to run this brief fragment over and over as you try different settings. There are also several test sequences (panning as a race car moves past some bleachers, or a test pattern) that are supplied on the disc in various pulldown proportions. BTW, I found this disc very hard to use until I went on the manufacturer's website and downloaded the elaborate explanatory notes that should have been in the box!

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
pbarach is offline  
post #555 of 606 Old 10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Everyone knows the AMP sucks on everything but clear with 1080i but how does the AMP look on 1080p? Like I mentioned before, Raiders of the Lost Ark looked good with it on clear but didn't think to test out smooth or standard. Also, Dynamic may give video games an initial "pop" but it washes everything out. Standard looks the best on regular content and games.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #556 of 606 Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Member
 
jeannie72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I can definitely notice when it's working horribly. This shows up on 1080i TV shows as a combination of the "soap opera effect" (smooth image that looks like live video) interspersed with skips that look like dropped frames. You can clearly see how the AMP feature is working if you have a repeated video scene that pans slowly from one side to the other and there is some kind of pattern in the background, such as an in-focus brick wall.
something like this maybe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie72 
What I did to test both blur and judder reduction was to set start & endpoints for a repeating segment of video on my dvd player.
I saw the most dramatic AMP results when watching animation, so that's what I used, in a scene where there was movement from left to right.
When I adjusted the judder, a piece of foreground "scenery" would be affected. With judder at zero, it would look blurry. When judder was set to ten, it would look like this part of the scenery was a cardboard cutout moving independently from the rest of the image (very dramatic and "3d", for lack of a better word). Any numbers between zero and ten would produce a predictable difference. I mean the blur simply got less and less until there was none at ten.
Every once and a while there would be a "skip" in the smoothness. But this was present using all settings above zero. There didn't seem to be less frequent "skips" based on the judder setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins 
Everyone knows the AMP sucks on everything but clear with 1080i but how does the AMP look on 1080p?
Now that I think about it, I don't know if I've noticed any dropped frames or skip with 1080p, but most of my content is lower resolution. Will have to check some more.

Maybe I should rephrase what I was asking about earlier:
Has anyone tested judder reduction and blur reduction independently using custom settings? I can see a difference with judder reduction as mentioned in my earlier post, but none with blur reduction. So completely ignoring the frame dropping or skipping issue for a moment, what does blur reduction look like vs. what judder reduction looks like?
jeannie72 is offline  
post #557 of 606 Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I was watching Mr. Bean on Netflix Streaming last week. I noticed that everything with a straight-edge in the background, only when the camera panned, was bent or curved. After the camera stopped panning it was normal. I didn't think too much about it since it was an old show on Netflix Streaming. Last night we watched Hook on Blu-Ray (1080/24p with tv on Clear for AMP) and allthough it was not as bad as Mr. Bean and sometimes not even noticable, I did still see things in the background curve towards the middle of the screen. I know for certain I saw it on Mr. Bean but now that I think about it I'm still on the fence about what I saw on Hook. I can't tell if it was just me looking for it too much and seeing it because I wanted to see it or if it was really bending or curving straight edges (doors, hanging ropes, building structures). Anyone else see anything like this before on the D630 or does anyone know if there is a term/reason why this would happen?


I just watched the same Mr. Bean episode on my laptop and the same curving of straight edges (fireplace, walls, and tables).
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #558 of 606 Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I was watching Mr. Bean on Netflix Streaming last week. I noticed that everything with a straight-edge in the background, only when the camera panned, was bent or curved. After the camera stopped panning it was normal. I didn't think too much about it since it was an old show on Netflix Streaming. Last night we watched Hook on Blu-Ray (1080/24p with tv on Clear for AMP) and allthough it was not as bad as Mr. Bean and sometimes not even noticable, I did still see things in the background curve towards the middle of the screen. I know for certain I saw it on Mr. Bean but now that I think about it I'm still on the fence about what I saw on Hook. I can't tell if it was just me looking for it too much and seeing it because I wanted to see it or if it was really bending or curving straight edges (doors, hanging ropes, building structures). Anyone else see anything like this before on the D630 or does anyone know if there is a term/reason why this would happen?
I just watched the same Mr. Bean episode on my laptop and the same curving of straight edges (fireplace, walls, and tables).

This has to be something about the print of Mr. Bean that Netflix is using--is this one of the movies, or is it the old TV episodes? I have never seen any problems with perspective distortion on the Samsung except with some of the movies from India that Netflix is showing at the wrong aspect ratio.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
pbarach is offline  
post #559 of 606 Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Newbie
 
thorsten89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to watch Region Code B Blu-rays on my PS3 from Germany on my LN46D630. The Blu-rays all start playing at first and then stop when the Blu-ray menu should appear. The TV starts displaying no input. Does anyone know why this happens? German Blu-rays have the same resolution etc. like U.S. Blu-rays.
thorsten89 is offline  
post #560 of 606 Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten89 View Post

I am trying to watch Region Code B Blu-rays on my PS3 from Germany on my LN46D630. The Blu-rays all start playing at first and then stop when the Blu-ray menu should appear. The TV starts displaying no input. Does anyone know why this happens? German Blu-rays have the same resolution etc. like U.S. Blu-rays.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago with an American Blu-Ray (9). Couldn't get it to work and my tv kept displaying "no signal." It was brand-new, factory sealed. It's cleary not the tv. Could be the disc or player. Maybe your player won't recoginize those discs. Try it on a different player to see if it works.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #561 of 606 Old 10-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

This has to be something about the print of Mr. Bean that Netflix is using--is this one of the movies, or is it the old TV episodes? I have never seen any problems with perspective distortion on the Samsung except with some of the movies from India that Netflix is showing at the wrong aspect ratio.

I kinda answered my own question. It exhibited the same defect on my laptop so I know it's not the D630. I did however, see a little of the same bending on Hook but I don't know if it was just an optical illusion because of what I saw on Mr. Bean or if it really happened. The Mr. Bean was the TV Show not any of the movies. I've never seen any of this on regular tv at 1080/60i though. Is it possible that the Hook issue was due to the fact that it was an older movie that wasn't properly restored to 1080p properly? The older Total Recall Blu-Ray was kinda weak (PQ) even though it was a "Blu-Ray." I'm sure the newer blu-ray edition of Total Recall is alot better.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #562 of 606 Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Update: I watched Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom last night on Blu-Ray (1080/24p) and did not notice any of the bending/curving. I wanted to test out the AMP and the same results. Clear is the best. Smooth brought the movie to life so to speak but had some mild juddering issues. Although not as bad as regular TV it was still there and bothersome when it happened. Overall I'm very happy with this set and love the PQ on eveything from TV, PS3 Games, to Blu-Ray Movies. My only complaint is the AMP Feature or lack there of.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #563 of 606 Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
You will find that some tv's just handle motion better than others. Part technical and part user visual acuity. There's always trade-offs in tv's and it just depends if you can overlook the perceived "flaws" in your set. If you're mostly happy with your set, then it's the perfect tv smile.gif
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #564 of 606 Old 10-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
PogueSquadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There is an LN40D630 available at a local Best Buy for $409.99 (399.99 after my Reward Zone Coupon). Is this a good idea, assuming the item works as expected? Or am I better off waiting until closer to Christmas to get a better deal on a new TV?

Am I also going to be missing out on a lot if I go with this TV over either the EH5000 or the EH6000? I figure I might be missing out on some brightness or image uniformity, but is that really it (aside fro size)?

I didn't want to post in the 'help me choose an LCD" because I was particularly interested in D630 owners on this one. TV would be used for mostly light TV watching, gaming, and Blu-Ray/streaming video.
PogueSquadron is offline  
post #565 of 606 Old 10-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Justin Sullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

There is an LN40D630 available at a local Best Buy for $409.99 (399.99 after my Reward Zone Coupon). Is this a good idea, assuming the item works as expected? Or am I better off waiting until closer to Christmas to get a better deal on a new TV?
Am I also going to be missing out on a lot if I go with this TV over either the EH5000 or the EH6000? I figure I might be missing out on some brightness or image uniformity, but is that really it (aside fro size)?
I didn't want to post in the 'help me choose an LCD" because I was particularly interested in D630 owners on this one. TV would be used for mostly light TV watching, gaming, and Blu-Ray/streaming video.

I've had the EH6000 and currently have the 46" D630. Both have faults. EH6000 has great uniformity and good motion resolution but the PQ is not that great IMO. The D630 has excellent PQ, great viewing angles (SQ01 Panel), and as long as you keep the AMP on Clear the motion is fine. Both are good sets but I'd prefer the D630 over the EH6000 just in PQ alone.
Justin Sullins is offline  
post #566 of 606 Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
PogueSquadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for your input! Apparently it looks like the TV was a display model so I got my hopes up over nothing haha. It's nice to know though that this TV is an option moving forward. I'll have to add it to the Wish List. Thanks again.
PogueSquadron is offline  
post #567 of 606 Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

There is an LN40D630 available at a local Best Buy for $409.99 (399.99 after my Reward Zone Coupon). Is this a good idea, assuming the item works as expected? Or am I better off waiting until closer to Christmas to get a better deal on a new TV?
Am I also going to be missing out on a lot if I go with this TV over either the EH5000 or the EH6000? I figure I might be missing out on some brightness or image uniformity, but is that really it (aside fro size)?
I didn't want to post in the 'help me choose an LCD" because I was particularly interested in D630 owners on this one. TV would be used for mostly light TV watching, gaming, and Blu-Ray/streaming video.

The Samsung EH6030 is also a great choice. I like it significantly better than the regular 6000 (and I had the 6000 for over three weeks before returning it). It lacks AMP but doesn't need it as the motion is actually quite a bit better than the 6000 (probably has something to do with it still being 120Hz despite no AMP and supporting 3D).
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #568 of 606 Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Newbie
 
thorsten89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago with an American Blu-Ray (9). Couldn't get it to work and my tv kept displaying "no signal." It was brand-new, factory sealed. It's cleary not the tv. Could be the disc or player. Maybe your player won't recoginize those discs. Try it on a different player to see if it works.

Thanks for your answer. I tried many Blu-rays and played around with the video/display settings at this point and still don't know the answer.

I tried Transporter and it didn't work at all on my PS3. For some reason it worked on my American Blu-ray Player (shouldn't play it at all because the disc is region code B).

I tried Transporter 2 and it didn't work until I switched the HDMI 24p output from automatic to on.

I tried Transporter 3 with the same settings and it didn't work. This movie worked after turning the Blu-ray internet setting from allowed to confirmation and I didn't allow the internet connection when I put the disc in.

It seems like some random setting is the problem for every movie. The movies all work at the beginning and stop working at the moment when the Blu-ray menu should be displayed. It shows all the crap at the beginning of the disc and then says no signal when the menu should appear.

Is there a chance that the HDMI cable might be the problem?
thorsten89 is offline  
post #569 of 606 Old 11-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Newbie
 
Gowrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a D630 at a bargain price.The picture is lovely in relation to my old TV. Things have improved in the last 5 years.
But 2 problems.

I have everything connected to a Sony receiver: Samsung BD player and Dish SB. The code I used for the Dish remote to turn the TV on/off, 738, also turns off the receiver. And doesn't turn it on.
And when I use the BD it goes to the right output but turning it off the receiver defaults to the TV output. So it has to be manually changed back to HDMI.

Any suggestions? Does Anynet+ figure into this?
My old set I could turn to a music channel and turn off the TV using the Dish remote. Or watch a BD using the Samsung remote and the receiver would revert to HDMI after shutdown.
Gowrie is offline  
post #570 of 606 Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Turn off Anynet+. This is a form of HDMI-CEC, which lets devices connected to each other using HDMI turn each other off and on.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopupPrint.do?howto_guide_seq=1563&howto_guide_step_no=4&prd_ia_cd=N0000043&map_seq=2260

(and be sure to read the Tip under STEP 1)

HDMI-CEC can often create issues.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
pbarach is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46d630 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv Black , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off