Official Samsung LNxxD630 Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 608 Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bad news. I have noticed terrible vertical and horizontal banding along with some clouding at the the very top left hand corner of my ln46d610. It is going back tomorrow to be exchanged or I might go with something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 608 Old 06-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Does anyone know the optimum picture settings?

I'm not a fan of Movie mode - it looks to dull
post #33 of 608 Old 06-04-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Can anyone explain what the various AutoMotion options do-- standard clear smooth--and how are they intended to be used?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #34 of 608 Old 06-12-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomize
I couldnt find any official thread for the new D series so I thought I would start one. I just picked up a LN46D630 to replace my old LN40A530. I just wasn't ready to deal with the imperfections of LED TVs yet.

Observations:
The remote is much cheaper feeling than my old A series and is not backlit... bummer. Also, I had calibrated my A series when I bought it from info I found here on AVS and it was a great picture with great black levels. Out of the box the LN46D has pretty terrible black levels (supposed 250,000:1 contrast ration compared to my old A series at a supposed 60,000:1), so I'm hoping someone who knows about calibration will post proper settings.

My biggest complaint so far is the picture just looking downright weird when in motion. I know I'm going from a 60hz to a 120hz, and I know that motion scenes look smoother, if that is the sole reason then I can get used to it. When watching a documentary on the History channel, when they panned in an out of a still picture there was what appeared to be ghosting. Also even though the motion is much smoother, the picture seems to jump or skip often. I haven't tried turning off automotion yet, but I'd rather not have to in order to make the picture not jump.

I've only had this for a few days, and I'm still on Uverse (AWFUL HD quality, and the Uverse cabinet is literally in my backyard!). I will be switching back to Insight Cable soon, so I can't report on what the picture looks like with a decent HD signal.
My remote is backlit.
post #35 of 608 Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Hello all. Anyone purchase a linkstick for their 46d630? If so how is the performance.
post #36 of 608 Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Hey, is there anyone here that can jump into their service menu and tell me what their Type is set to? Mine for some reason, is not set.
post #37 of 608 Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I have my SA-8300HDC cable box connected to my new Samsung TV with HDMI for video (the cable audio is sent through my home theater receiver). When I turn on the TV and the cable box, the cable box will not respond to commands from its own remote for several minutes--can't change channels, can't do anything. Even the buttons on the front of the cable box do nothing. After a few minutes, everything works normally. It doesn't matter whether I turn on the TV first or the cable box first,

When I had the cable box HDMI cable hooked up to my other AV receiver (which is in for repairs), and the the TV connected to the receiver with HDMI as well, there was no problem. But with the receiver out of the HDMI loop completely, there is this weird problem. Any idea how to fix this?

On the TV, HDMI-CEC is shut off. It was also shut off in the receiver

post #38 of 608 Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Hi,

This is my first-time purchase of an LCD HDTV. This unit's box indicates the model as LN40D630M3F/Model Code: LN40D630M3FXZA. Unlike the picture on Samsung's website, and on the merchant's website as well, this model's base/pedestal is entirely black, not with the clear/crystal piece.

I particularly came here for info on the constant red dot that's noticeable in darker images on the screen. I have found it disconcerting enough to return this unit for an exchange, as I've only had it for three (3) days.

With no prior experience with LCD HDTV's, I have no idea what to expect in the future with this TV. What is its average life-expectancy? What issues can arise that will warrant contacting support and/or contacting Samsung for servicing? One AVS Forum member mentioned "horizontal banding," and I haven't a clue what that is, and it doesn't sound too good either.

All replies would be welcomed, by this Newbie, and thanks in advance.

6/17/2011 Update: Red dot was determined as a dead pixel. TV returned, and exchanged, yesterday.
post #39 of 608 Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 46" version of this set, also with a black pedestal. But there is no red dot or anything else odd about the shadows onscreen, which are deep black and very detailed.

post #40 of 608 Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pbarach: Are you satisfied with your LN46D630? I'm thinking of picking one up at my local BB. How is the PQ? Any complaints or suggestions?

Thanks,
post #41 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 AM

Just picked up the 46D630 the other day from Best Buy. So far I really like it. I'm not a huge TV watcher, so I didn't want to spend the money on some of the high end displays so this one is perfect. The only issue that I have with it is the audio syncing. It seems like there is no way to get the audio synced up with the picture on screen. I've tried going everywhere from 0ms-250ms delay and it just never seems to sync perfectly. Then when I do get it close and then change the channel (ATT Uverse) it goes back to being mega-unsynced. It gets a little frustrating as I watch a lot of TV shows that have people talking on screen and their mouths aren't with their voice. It happens through my Aiwa sound system as well as straight through the TV speakers. Anyone have any thoughts on a way to get it consistent?
post #42 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 AM

I just bought an LN46D630 over the weekend and would like to report my findings and ask a couple of questions.

This is my first Samsung and is the latest member of a growing list of sets I've owned in the past year and a half in an attempt to find a satisfactory set for my money. I have already owned and returned:

two different Sony KDL-52Z5100s (corner flashlighting, banding and clouding)
a Sony KDL-52NX800 (corner flashlighting, banding and terrible clouding)
a Vizio XVT553SV (disruptive side effects of local dimming)
a Vizio E470VL (corner/edge flashlighting and HORRIBLE black level)

So far the picture quality of the LN46D630 seems to be acceptable, and I have some new settings to try this weekend thanks to this thread. I see minor corner flashlighting and VERY minor banding and clouding. I'm also not a huge fan of the bronze colored strip in the bottom part of the bezel, although once it was sitting in my living room it was far less intrusive than i expected. I could live with all of these issues and see this being a keeper if the gaming lag wasn't so noticeable.

Even with Game mode on and with all extra processing and advanced features turned off I still notice input lag. I have a PS3 connected via HDMI and when i pull the trigger in SOCOM the bullet takes a noticeable split second to hit the wall and the sound of the shot comes as the bullet hits the wall, not as the controller vibrates. All of the previous sets I had before were fine in this respect right out of the box, even the Vizio E470VL.

I tried to at least fix the sound delay by connecting a set of amplified computer speakers and sub directly to the digital audio out and messing with the SPDIF audio delay in the Settings > General section and that didn't seem to do anything at all. I thought the manual said that would help but maybe I misunderstood. Either way it seems like the whole PS3 signal (audio and video) is a little off time and even though it is playable it will be a deal breaker for me if I cannot find a fix.

I have 90 days to return the set, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if it seems likely that there may be a software update coming for this set to help with input lag.

Thanks
post #43 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLOUDDEAD View Post

I just bought an LN46D630 over the weekend and would like to report my findings and ask a couple of questions.

This is my first Samsung and is the latest member of a growing list of sets I've owned in the past year and a half in an attempt to find a satisfactory set for my money. I have already owned and returned:

two different Sony KDL-52Z5100s (corner flashlighting, banding and clouding)
a Sony KDL-52NX800 (corner flashlighting, banding and terrible clouding)
a Vizio XVT553SV (disruptive side effects of local dimming)
a Vizio E470VL (corner/edge flashlighting and HORRIBLE black level)

So far the picture quality of the LN46D630 seems to be acceptable, and I have some new settings to try this weekend thanks to this thread. I see minor corner flashlighting and VERY minor banding and clouding. I'm also not a huge fan of the bronze colored strip in the bottom part of the bezel, although once it was sitting in my living room it was far less intrusive than i expected. I could live with all of these issues and see this being a keeper if the gaming lag wasn't so noticeable.

Even with Game mode on and with all extra processing and advanced features turned off I still notice input lag. I have a PS3 connected via HDMI and when i pull the trigger in SOCOM the bullet takes a noticeable split second to hit the wall and the sound of the shot comes as the bullet hits the wall, not as the controller vibrates. All of the previous sets I had before were fine in this respect right out of the box, even the Vizio E470VL.

I tried to at least fix the sound delay by connecting a set of amplified computer speakers and sub directly to the digital audio out and messing with the SPDIF audio delay in the Settings > General section and that didn't seem to do anything at all. I thought the manual said that would help but maybe I misunderstood. Either way it seems like the whole PS3 signal (audio and video) is a little off time and even though it is playable it will be a deal breaker for me if I cannot find a fix.

I have 90 days to return the set, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if it seems likely that there may be a software update coming for this set to help with input lag.

Thanks

Based on your prior history, I seriously doubt that you will find a TV that suits you. Most people are well-satisfied with the D630, but if you're a gamer and have done your research, then you should have known that Samsung is NOT considered the best TV to buy for serious gamers. You may as well get rid of it now and not wait the 90 days.

An LG or Sharp may be your best bet for gaming. Panasonic is also good, but they don't make an LCD that big.
post #44 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Based on your prior history, I seriously doubt that you will find a TV that suits you. Most people are well-satisfied with the D630, but if you're a gamer and have done your research, then you should have known that Samsung is NOT considered the best TV to buy for serious gamers. You may as well get rid of it now and not wait the 90 days.

An LG or Sharp may be your best bet for gaming. Panasonic is also good, but they don't make an LCD that big.

I did have a feeling audio lag may be an issue as I had read that some of the newer UN Samsungs had audio lag issues, but thought it might be fixable with audio delay settings. I am dissapointed and a little surprised though at the general gaming lag even with Game mode turned on. The difference Game mode makes is almost unnoticeable.

All I want is a decent set

I have come to realize that perfection is NOT going to happen but I'm starting to feel like finding an acceptable set may not be doable either.
post #45 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Actually after another look I think the audio delay is a bigger issue than video lag while gaming. I get the same delay whether using the TV speakers or external speakers. I should also mention that the audio coming out of the TV speakers and the audio coming out of the external speakers appears to be IN SYNC.

I have my external speakers connected to the Audio Out mini jack, not the Digital Audio Out (Optical) jack, and have been adjusting the SPDIF audio delay 0-250 ms slider and not seeing any change in audio delay... so I am assuming that adjustment is for the digital/optical connection only?

The manual describes the Audio Out jack as analog and the Digital Audio Out (Optical) jack as digital. Then in the SPDIF Output help section it says:

SPDIF is used to provide digital sound, reducing interference going to speakers and various digital devices such as a DVD player.

-Audio Format: During the reception of a digital TV broadcast, you can select the Digital Audio output (SPDIF) format from the options PCM or Dolby Digital.

-Audio Delay: Correct audio-video mismatch when watching TV or video, and listening to digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver (0 ms-250 ms).

...So what does this all mean? Will a PS3 connected in via HDMI provide digital audio into the TV? And then should the SPDIF delay settings work with a set of computer speakers connected to the Audio Out (analog?) jack?

While watching DirecTV audio and video are pretty well in sync, or at least if there is an issue it seems alot less noticeable than with the PS3. Could this be an HDMI cable issue? Everyone here usually says an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable, but it seems odd that the PS3 through HDMI is laggy and DirecTV through HDMI seems ok.
post #46 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no problem with a lip-sync or audio delay problem on this TV through external speakers, but my AVR (Denon 4310) has an "auto lipsync" feature. Right now, it's in the shop, and I am using a different AVR that doesn't have this feature--still no sync issues.

post #47 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I have no problem with a lip-sync or audio delay problem on this TV through external speakers, but my AVR (Denon 4310) has an "auto lipsync" feature. Right now, it's in the shop, and I am using a different AVR that doesn't have this feature--still no sync issues.

Do you connect the TV to the receiver/s using the Audio Out analog mini jack or the Digital Audio Out (Optical) jack?

Do you *use* the "auto lipsync" feature on the Denon?

What all do you have connected to the TV and do all of the devices produce no perceivable lag of any kind?

Do you use expensive HDMI cables rated certain ways or cheapies?
post #48 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you connect the TV to the receiver/s using the Audio Out analog mini jack or the Digital Audio Out (Optical) jack?

Do you *use* the "auto lipsync" feature on the Denon?

What all do you have connected to the TV and do all of the devices produce no perceivable lag of any kind?

Do you use expensive HDMI cables rated certain ways or cheapies?

I do use the auto lipsync feature, but there is no issue with the AVR that doesnt have that feature. None of my sound comes FROM the tv. All if my sound sources are connected to the AVR. I don't own any expensive cables anywhere.

post #49 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I do use the auto lipsync feature, but there is no issue with the AVR that doesnt have that feature. None of my sound comes FROM the tv. All if my sound sources are connected to the AVR. I don't own any expensive cables anywhere.

Ah, I see. All of my sources are connected to the TV.
post #50 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, I see. All of my sources are connected to the TV.

Temporarily they are all connected to the tv (two bluray players, a DVD/universal player, cable box). No lipsync problems at all.

post #51 of 608 Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Temporarily they are all connected to the tv (two bluray players, a DVD/universal player, cable box). No lipsync problems at all.

Maybe it is an issue with the PS3 and TV synching incorrectly then or some kind of lag being generated between the PS3 and TV. The video seems to lag a little but the audio is way behind.
post #52 of 608 Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 AM

Well it looks like this set is going back anyway. After less than three days the power light on the front is blinking constantly and it is almost completely unresponsive to the remote. Googling this tells me the power supply and/or a board will need to be replaced and there's no way I'm doing that and getting stuck with this set. Power cycling doesn't help and apparently this issue can go away on its own only to return a year or years later after all warranties have expired.

This is ridiculous.
post #53 of 608 Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotne1985 View Post

Just picked up the 46D630 the other day from Best Buy. So far I really like it. I'm not a huge TV watcher, so I didn't want to spend the money on some of the high end displays so this one is perfect. The only issue that I have with it is the audio syncing. It seems like there is no way to get the audio synced up with the picture on screen. I've tried going everywhere from 0ms-250ms delay and it just never seems to sync perfectly. Then when I do get it close and then change the channel (ATT Uverse) it goes back to being mega-unsynced. It gets a little frustrating as I watch a lot of TV shows that have people talking on screen and their mouths aren't with their voice. It happens through my Aiwa sound system as well as straight through the TV speakers. Anyone have any thoughts on a way to get it consistent?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I looked for something in the super secret menu, but couldn't find anything about the external audio sync. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #54 of 608 Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotne1985 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I looked for something in the super secret menu, but couldn't find anything about the external audio sync. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
How do you get to the super secret menu?

post #55 of 608 Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
How do you get to the super secret menu?
used the samsungfaq.com site. it was like mute, 1, 8, 2, power or something like that
post #56 of 608 Old 06-18-2011, 05:05 AM

I'm considering this TV, but can't view it in my current area. I need a TV for a living room that has a wide area of seating and potential for a lot of sunlight. I haven't seen anyone state on here...
  • Does the 46D630 have a glossy or matte screen?
  • How are the off-axis viewing angles?
post #57 of 608 Old 06-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

I'm considering this TV, but can't view it in my current area. I need a TV for a living room that has a wide area of seating and potential for a lot of sunlight. I haven't seen anyone state on here...

Does the 46D630 have a glossy or matte screen?
How are the off-axis viewing angles?

The TV has a matte screen.
I have a very sunlit living room and it looks great, day or night.
post #58 of 608 Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 AM

I got my TV at Best Buy, that being said I was looking for some advice.
I was thinking about going back to buy the Geek Squad protection plan.
Is it worth it?
Anyone have experience with geek squad and a tv repair?
I'm just look for opinions.
post #59 of 608 Old 07-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post

I'm considering this TV, but can't view it in my current area. I need a TV for a living room that has a wide area of seating and potential for a lot of sunlight.

It does very well in a very brightly-lit room. Better than our old Philips 37PF7320A. Off-axis viewing is not as good as our old Philips was.

Jim
post #60 of 608 Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anybody know the direct access codes for the HDMI inputs, TV, etc. for the LNxxD630 sets?

Thanks,
Jim
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46d630 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv Black , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page