Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 608 Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

What do you mean by panel type? I would guess everybody posting here has a Samsung panel in this series of models. I have the 46" size and I am 100% happy with the picture quality after calibration.

Panel type is displayed both on the box and the sticker on the back of the tv. Samsung uses several different panel manufacturers. Last year they had AU, CN, SQ and I believe there was one other. There are 2 digits that follow the letters in the panel ID number.

Glad your a satisfied customer. I'm returning my Samy LED and probably buying the 630.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 608 Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChaCharles View Post

I'm assuming you connected your cable via HDMI source. If you press the "Source" button on the remote and scroll to TV, it should show the OTA antenna signal. You have to program channels first. Click "Menu" and go to "Antenna". Make sure it's set to "Air" and then you can run "Auto Program".

It works!! Your step-by-step is sure a lot clearer than the manual. Thanks so much.
post #93 of 608 Old 08-02-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

Panel type is displayed both on the box and the sticker on the back of the tv. Samsung uses several different panel manufacturers. Last year they had AU, CN, SQ and I believe there was one other. There are 2 digits that follow the letters in the panel ID number.

Glad your a satisfied customer. I'm returning my Samy LED and probably buying the 630.

Sorry, I threw out the box and didn't see a sticker on the back of the tv.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #94 of 608 Old 08-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

We bought ours 4-5 weeks ago, I guess. Box says "SQ01."

Jim
post #95 of 608 Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post

We bought ours 4-5 weeks ago, I guess. Box says "SQ01."

Jim

Thanks Jim

Hows your off angle viewing? We have a wide seating area.
post #96 of 608 Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Jim

Hows your off angle viewing? We have a wide seating area.

Uhmmm... Ok? I'm probably not the best person to ask. We have a longer-than-wider room, and the TV is along one of the narrow ends, so we don't have a wide seating area.

When the room's brighter, during the daytime, it seems not so great. But that room gets very well-lit during the full daytime. Now, still very light out, but the room isn't brightly lit, it seems fine when I step off to the side purposefully.

Jim
post #97 of 608 Old 08-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post

Uhmmm... Ok? I'm probably not the best person to ask. We have a longer-than-wider room, and the TV is along one of the narrow ends, so we don't have a wide seating area.

When the room's brighter, during the daytime, it seems not so great. But that room gets very well-lit during the full daytime. Now, still very light out, but the room isn't brightly lit, it seems fine when I step off to the side purposefully.

Jim

I appreciate it Jim, thanks again.
post #98 of 608 Old 08-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Just ordered the LN46D630 and interesting in optimal pictures settings. The TV will be used solely for watching cable TV. Only main setting I have heard about so far is Movie and I don't care for that on my other TVs so I am sure I would not be interested in this setting on the LN46D630.
post #99 of 608 Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy246 View Post

Just ordered the LN46D630 and interesting in optimal pictures settings. The TV will be used solely for watching cable TV. Only main setting I have heard about so far is Movie and I don't care for that on my other TVs so I am sure I would not be interested in this setting on the LN46D630.

I suggest you start at "Movie" and calibrate it from there. The backlight and brightness settings come set too bright out of the box and can attribute to faster screen degradation, higher power consumption and an unnatural picture. One question though, why buy at 120 Hz 1080P TV if you are only going to watch cable? I only ask because the TVs true capacity can only be fully appreciated while viewing Blu Ray movies or other true high def sources. Although most cable companies boast Hi Def, not all programs are filmed or broadcast in this manner, although it has improved vastly in the last few years. Hey I watch COX cable (apparently 1080i) on mine too, but the picture delivered from modern Blu Ray's is down right incredible and it makes watching DVDs of the same films intolerable.
post #100 of 608 Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 PM

how is the motion blur when watching sports? i noticed motion blur on the 2010 sets.

what about the glare?
post #101 of 608 Old 08-05-2011, 04:22 AM

The TV will be used for alot of sports programs, especially football.

Thought the 120hz was better for motion broadcast such as sports particularly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balazo View Post

I suggest you start at "Movie" and calibrate it from there. The backlight and brightness settings come set too bright out of the box and can attribute to faster screen degradation, higher power consumption and an unnatural picture. One question though, why buy at 120 Hz 1080P TV if you are only going to watch cable? I only ask because the TVs true capacity can only be fully appreciated while viewing Blu Ray movies or other true high def sources. Although most cable companies boast Hi Def, not all programs are filmed or broadcast in this manner, although it has improved vastly in the last few years. Hey I watch COX cable (apparently 1080i) on mine too, but the picture delivered from modern Blu Ray's is down right incredible and it makes watching DVDs of the same films intolerable.

post #102 of 608 Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Just bought the LN46D630.

Have it connected to a Sony BDV-E370 BluRay 5.1 surround.

The picture quality is wonderful, crisp and clear.

However when I watch gladiator last night on bluray I noticed a considerable video lag.

The audio came much before the video. I have the bluray player connected to the TV via HDMI as well as the fibre optic cable.
After attempting to mess with the SPDIF audio delay levels, I didnt notice much difference.

I set the auto motion plus to custom and changed blur reduction to 10 and judder reduction to 2, that seemed to make it better.

i am curious as to if there is a better way to tackle this problem because even tho some people find the auto motion weird i still wanna be able to watch movies with it and not have lag. Also fyi Dark night had no problems with lag...

My question to everyone here is have you had the same issues?
If so how to fix?
Does anyone know how to make sure that the sound is coming from the digital source (fibre optic cable)?

THANKS!
post #103 of 608 Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnowman15 View Post

The audio came much before the video. I have the bluray player connected to the TV via HDMI as well as the fibre optic cable.
After attempting to mess with the SPDIF audio delay levels, I didnt notice much difference.

I set the auto motion plus to custom and changed blur reduction to 10 and judder reduction to 2, that seemed to make it better.
THANKS!

Is your Blu Ray player's audio cable connected directly to your home theater, or is it connected to the TV and then via optical cable to the home theater? I suggest the ladder, as it will eliminate delay. Also if you do it this way you can adjust the delay (if any) in the TV sound menu and not on your audio receiver because all of the sound will be coming from the TV and not from directly from your Blu Ray player. Also I think Auto Motion Plus messes with the speed of the video playback and could add to the problem, although it isn't a problem on mine. I say go with the audio optical cable from your TV to your home theater, and not directly from your Blu Ray player to home theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy246 View Post

The TV will be used for alot of sports programs, especially football.

Thought the 120hz was better for motion broadcast such as sports particularly?

I have been watching baseball and the detail is pretty amazing, but it all depends on how it is broadcast. Who is your cable carrier? Direct TV? I have heard they offer one of the highest quality HD sources out there, and they have the NFL ticket wrapped up. I am also looking forward to football bud.....GO PACKERS!!
post #104 of 608 Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnowman15 View Post

Just bought the LN46D630.

Have it connected to a Sony BDV-E370 BluRay 5.1 surround.

You do not need the optical cable in this setup unless you want to use your surround sound for other devices connected to the TV such as cable. The audio is processed in that player and sent directly out to the speakers, not sent to the TV and then back to the unit. SPDIF audio delay will have no effect on your problem.

This is sounding like a common problem, which sadly means I am going to avoid this set...
post #105 of 608 Old 08-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Cox Communications.

Quote:

Is your Blu Ray player's audio cable connected directly to your home theater, or is it connected to the TV and then via optical cable to the home theater? I suggest the ladder, as it will eliminate delay. Also if you do it this way you can adjust the delay (if any) in the TV sound menu and not on your audio receiver because all of the sound will be coming from the TV and not from directly from your Blu Ray player. Also I think Auto Motion Plus messes with the speed of the video playback and could add to the problem, although it isn't a problem on mine. I say go with the audio optical cable from your TV to your home theater, and not directly from your Blu Ray player to home theater.

I have been watching baseball and the detail is pretty amazing, but it all depends on how it is broadcast. Who is your cable carrier? Direct TV? I have heard they offer one of the highest quality HD sources out there, and they have the NFL ticket wrapped up. I am also looking forward to football bud.....GO PACKERS!!

post #106 of 608 Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post

You do not need the optical cable in this setup unless you want to use your surround sound for other devices connected to the TV such as cable. The audio is processed in that player and sent directly out to the speakers, not sent to the TV and then back to the unit. SPDIF audio delay will have no effect on your problem.

This is sounding like a common problem, which sadly means I am going to avoid this set...

I am no expert but it sounds like the Auto Motion Plus has to do with the problem. The way I have it hooked up (all sources through the TV then to my receiver) I have experienced no delay from any source. I do not use surround speakers and that may be why, BTW my setup is a 2.1. I got a great deal through amazon for this TV a month ago (the price has gone up since then) for $575 shipped for free, and I could not be happier.
post #107 of 608 Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is your Blu Ray player's audio cable connected directly to your home theater, or is it connected to the TV and then via optical cable to the home theater? I suggest the ladder, as it will eliminate delay.

Yes, but as I noted last time you made this suggestion: Doing that will also prevent one getting digital sound to their HT gear.

Jim
post #108 of 608 Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Really? The sound I experience is excellent albeit 2.1 channels. I have never really been a fan of 5.1 or 7.1 channel sound because of the setup and tuning required, and for little gain (at least in my opinion). Also a good system can get expensive fast. I noticed that the newer receivers are equipped to auto sync all of the speakers with a mic, making it easy to setup. I do admit that the dialog suffers a bit in 2.1, especially during loud action scenes but it is simple and adequate in my opinion.
post #109 of 608 Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Really? The sound I experience is excellent albeit 2.1 channels. I have never really been a fan of 5.1 or 7.1 channel sound because of the setup and tuning required, and for little gain (at least in my opinion).
Difference between 2.1 and 5.1 is like the difference between night and day, for many movies. Particularly if the source is DTS.

If all you have is 2.1 sound, then you wouldn't much notice if all you were getting was Dolby 2.1.

Jim
post #110 of 608 Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 PM

hey folks... just got one of these today and i have a couple of dumb questions if you'll indulge me (and answer!)

i'm using the set strictly as a PC monitor...
asus hd 6850 hdmi out to hdmi1 on the set (as recommended)

1) auto-motion is set to off and greyed out
2) game mode is greyed out so I can't engage it (yes i'm getting some input lag!)
3) in 'optimum' 1920x1080, the picture looks like hell and bleeds off the set on all four sides. it's very ugly too. 1680x1050 works beautifully, but i'm irritated all the same 8^/
4) can't figure out how to get into the +service menu... is there anything in there that might help?
5) is there any other method of disabling the 120mhz (or any other) post-processing to help reduce input lag?

Thanks! I will patiently await your insight and solutions.

Cheers,
Simon
post #111 of 608 Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodwin View Post

hey folks... just got one of these today and i have a couple of dumb questions if you'll indulge me (and answer!)

2) game mode is greyed out so I can't engage it (yes i'm getting some input lag!)
3) in 'optimum' 1920x1080, the picture looks like hell and bleeds off the set on all four sides. it's very ugly too. 1680x1050 works beautifully, but i'm irritated all the same 8^/
4) can't figure out how to get into the +service menu... is there anything in there that might help?
5) is there any other method of disabling the 120mhz (or any other) post-processing to help reduce input lag?

Cheers,
Simon

Have you tried renaming your selected input to "pc"? Maybe that can help.

XBL Digital gh0st
PSN. Troy_Digital
post #112 of 608 Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM

I use a 22" HP monitor with my Sony Vaio FW series laptop, connected with an HDMI and it took a while to get it right. You may have to mess with the video card output settings (resolution and color) on your computer as well as the TV settings. Honestly I have tried to connect my laptop to my LCD TVs a few times and had unsatisfactory results. Make sure your output resolution is the same as the screen resolution on the TV. What kind of video card do you have? Have you tried to connect your PC with the PC input vs the HDMI cord?
post #113 of 608 Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Can someone explain what the various Offset and Gain settings mean here, and what they are supposed to do?

Quote:

I am no expert, and I didn't arrive at these calibrations on my own, or with the proper equipment. These values were copied from a "professional review" and after using them for a few days they look great, and I recommend them to anyone with this TV or a similar Samsung model.

Offsets and gains are grayscale color balancing controls properly labeled "White Balance". Offsets adjusts the darker end of the grayscale as does the Brightness control, and gains adjusts the lighter end of the grayscale as does the Contrast control. This TV also has a 10 point white balance module which does the same thing except it is in increments of 10% of the grayscale. These controls along with Color Space Custom are for calibrators only. Every display is different and guessing, using your eyeballs, or copying someone else's settings gives you a 50% chance of improving your picture. It also gives you a 50% chance of making your picture worse.

These controls used to be located in the service menu instead of the user menus. They were moved to the user menu in hopes that people would stay out of the service menu where it is possible to brick the set. The ONLY thing of interest in the service menu is the ability to enable Cal-Day and Cal-Night modes for each input in the user menu, but again, this is for THX, ISF, and home enthusiast calibrators. Without accurate meters, software, and a lot of knowledge they won't do a thing for you.

Quote:

GO PACKERS!!

Ditto.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #114 of 608 Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Offsets and gains are grayscale color balancing controls properly labeled "White Balance".

Thanks for explaining these things. I am keeping my mitts off them...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #115 of 608 Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Ok, so i figured out some stuff. You have to select 'source' and while it's still displayed... *then* you select 'tools' and edit the name. If I select 'PC' or 'PC DVI', I can set 1920x1080 and it works perfectly.

You have to select 'game' in order to access 'game mode', but frankly, the image is so ******, I can't bear to look at it. I guess I'm just going to have to adapt to the slight lag which 'PC' invokes.

Cheers,
Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodwin View Post

Cheers,
Simon

post #116 of 608 Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Is anybody else getting skipped frames when Motion Plus is turned on? Any setting other than 'Clear' on my set, including all possible configurations of 'Custom,' results in a skipped frame or two every 10-12 seconds on my set. Is this is an issue with the set - this is the second LN46D630 I've gotten with the same issue - or could this be the fault of a bad HDMI cable or even my receiver?

Not that it matters much. This set is fantastic even without a little bit of blur reduction.
post #117 of 608 Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajaah117 View Post

Is anybody else getting skipped frames when Motion Plus is turned on? Any setting other than 'Clear' on my set, including all possible configurations of 'Custom,' results in a skipped frame or two every 10-12 seconds on my set. Is this is an issue with the set - this is the second LN46D630 I've gotten with the same issue, or could this be an issue with HDMI or my receiver?

Not that it matters much. This set is fantastic even without a little bit of blur reduction.

I had a Ln55c630 (last years model) that had the same problem (well documented and Samsung says just turn off automotion). It is disappointing to see that haven't fixed it for 2011 models.
post #118 of 608 Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajaah117 View Post

Is anybody else getting skipped frames when Motion Plus is turned on? Any setting other than 'Clear' on my set, including all possible configurations of 'Custom,' results in a skipped frame or two every 10-12 seconds on my set. Is this is an issue with the set - this is the second LN46D630 I've gotten with the same issue - or could this be the fault of a bad HDMI cable or even my receiver?

Does it only happen to Blu Ray movies, or does it happen regardless of the input source? I noticed that Blu Ray's playback speed seemed too fast with it on, along with the whole "soap opera" look. The audio seemed to be playing at the right speed but the video would fluctuate from fast to normal speed, and it seemed like the TV was having trouble adding all of the extra frames. I noticed it works a lot better with DVDs and cable, but again I don't care for the added realism. I almost looks like a play on stage. I wish there was a button for it on the remote for fast access and quick adjustment. I just leave it off now on all sources and without it I am still very happy and impressed with the set so far.
post #119 of 608 Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Hey I have been messing with the picture settings here and there and this is what I use for my PS3/Blu-ray source on my LN40D630. I start at "movie mode" and this allows you to do minimum adjustments to calibrate it. Also I have Auto Motion Plus shut off, this is simply my preference, and some people like to go with "smooth" but I simply don't see the need. I didn't arrive at these settings using a calibration disk, I found a site that reviewed this TV and I made adjustments from their "professional" settings. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone's preference is different, so ultimately it is up to you, but here are mine if you are interested........

Color Temp: Warm 1
Backlight:7-10 depending on your lighting environment (basement or bright room)
Brightness:47
Contrast:95
Color:45
Sharpness:5
Tint:G49/R51

White Balance Settings:
Red Offset: 28
Green Offset: 25
Blue Offset: 16
Red Gain: 25
Green Gain: 25
Blue Gain: 21

Just wanted to say I used these calibration settings for my newly purchased LN46D630 and found them to be excellent. The best settings I've found online during my search. Only difference I made was set the Color Temp: Normal. Thanks for the info.
post #120 of 608 Old 08-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Does it only happen to Blu Ray movies, or does it happen regardless of the input source? I noticed that Blu Ray's playback speed seemed too fast with it on, along with the whole "soap opera" look. The audio seemed to be playing at the right speed but the video would fluctuate from fast to normal speed, and it seemed like the TV was having trouble adding all of the extra frames. I noticed it works a lot better with DVDs and cable, but again I don't care for the added realism. I almost looks like a play on stage. I wish there was a button for it on the remote for fast access and quick adjustment. I just leave it off now on all sources and without it I am still very happy and impressed with the set so far.

Every source I've tested has the same issue. The soap opera effect is terrible, but that's only if you use 'Standard' or 'Smooth.' If you choose 'Custom' then turn the Blur Reduction up to 7 or 8 and keep the Judder Reduction low, around 1-3, then the picture is extremely crisp and clear without any jarring, unnatural smoothness... but then the frames start skipping and all the benefits are trashed. It's perfectly fine with it off, but I really wish I could use just a little of that Blur Reduction.

I don't think it's a problem with the set in general though, because I've never seen it skip frames in the stores, and we all know they have every setting cranked as high as it can go on those display models. There has to be something going wrong with the cable, the receiver, the player(PS3 in my case), or this specific set. Our old friend the Panel Lottery could be to blame...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46d630 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv Black , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page