Official Samsung LNxxD630 Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 606 Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. My sister just got a LN40D630M3FXZA and there is a 2.5% overscan when using hdmi with a bluray player sending a 1080p signal. Is there a way to fix that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 606 Old 08-14-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga View Post

Hello. My sister just got a LN40D630M3FXZA and there is a 2.5% overscan when using hdmi with a bluray player sending a 1080p signal. Is there a way to fix that?

Change the picture size setting to Screen Fit.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #123 of 606 Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 PM

I was looking for such an option. I must have missed it.
post #124 of 606 Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajaah117 View Post

Every source I've tested has the same issue. The soap opera effect is terrible, but that's only if you use 'Standard' or 'Smooth.' If you choose 'Custom' then turn the Blur Reduction up to 7 or 8 and keep the Judder Reduction low, around 1-3, then the picture is extremely crisp and clear without any jarring, unnatural smoothness... but then the frames start skipping and all the benefits are trashed. It's perfectly fine with it off, but I really wish I could use just a little of that Blur Reduction.

I don't think it's a problem with the set in general though, because I've never seen it skip frames in the stores, and we all know they have every setting cranked as high as it can go on those display models. There has to be something going wrong with the cable, the receiver, the player(PS3 in my case), or this specific set. Our old friend the Panel Lottery could be to blame...

I am using a PS3 slim (my fat got YLOD last week ) too and i have witnessed the altered speed and soap opera effects but not any obvious skipping. I know it can be frustrating to have a powerful effect at your fingertips but get unsatisfactory results from it. I keep it off because it completely ruins PS3 gameplay, and it only benefits a few movies (mostly animated and total CGI flicks like Avatar). I simply don't like having to go in and out of the menu and mess with it every time I watch a movie. I would use it in "smooth" if it was mapped to the remote with super easy access. I have had it off on all sources for almost a month now and I don't even think about it anymore. I wouldn't sweat it, try different types of movies and see if it consistently behaves the same.
post #125 of 606 Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Change the picture size setting to Screen Fit.
There is no Screen Fit. Only 16:9, Zoom1, Zoom2, and 4:3. SOL unless there is a firmware update?
post #126 of 606 Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

There is no Screen Fit. Only 16:9, Zoom1, Zoom2, and 4:3. SOL unless there is a firmware update?

Are you connected via HDMI? Look on page 16 of your manual and you'll see how to access Screen Fit. I doubt if this feature came as a firmware update, since I bought my set just after it came on the market and have this information in my manual, too.

There has been at least one firmware update, in May 2011:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...N46D630M3FXZA?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #127 of 606 Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

When you hit the info button does it say 1080p? I know my older Samsung couldn't do Screen Fit if it was fed 720p, only 1080p or 1080i.
post #128 of 606 Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Hello everyone i just got a LN40D630 and i noticed when im watching blu-rays on my PS3 slim and i turn on auto motion plus the frame rate sometimes jumps or refreshes itself every min or 2 for like a sec. i just wanted to know if anyone else is getting this? when i turn it off its fine... and i dont notice it jumping when im on netflix or anything. only when i watch blu-ray movies on my ps3.
post #129 of 606 Old 08-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRebellion View Post

Hello everyone i just got a LN40D630 and i noticed when im watching blu-rays on my PS3 slim and i turn on auto motion plus the frame rate sometimes jumps or refreshes itself every min or 2 for like a sec. i just wanted to know if anyone else is getting this? when i turn it off its fine... and i dont notice it jumping when im on netflix or anything. only when i watch blu-ray movies on my ps3.

If it is like last years model 24p conflicts with auto motion. Try setting the bluray to output 60hz.
post #130 of 606 Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 PM

how do i do that?
post #131 of 606 Old 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM

omg! turning off 24h video output under the video settings on the ps3 worked! the frame doesnt skip no more!
post #132 of 606 Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Setting seems a little dark for me. I am in a fairly bright room. Any advice for a light room????
post #133 of 606 Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM

I recently purchased a Samsung LN46D630 version SQ01 TV with a build date of July 2011, here is a quick review.

The build quality is pretty good, given that they use a metal back panel instead of plastic, this helps keep this LCD TV surprisingly thin, and it feels solid.
I'm using the stand provided with the TV. The supplied stand was much easier to install then a few of the other TV's i have used, and it has decent side to side tilting range. Overall the look of this TV is also nice and simple.
I have the 630 version which has a darker metal touch panel strip on the bottom front panel then the 610 version which has a more blueish strip. Personally i like the darker 630 metal strip as it does not stand out as much on the black bezel.

So far I am happy with the TV image quality after having tried several other brands of LCD TV's that I have bought and returned over the last month (in this price range).
The blacks are nice and dark, and the viewing angles are fantastic. Also I have this in a room with a lot of light (6 very large windows), and I can still watch this TV with all the sunlight that fills this room in the day. I don't have any issues with glare on the matte screen.
I ran some test content and this LCD panel is pixel perfect, and passed all my tests.

I have a Xbox360, PS3, PBO media player, and Laptop, connected on all 4 HDMI ports. I also have HD(1080i) external outdoor antenna & SD(480i) cable on the coaxial connection. Sound system on audio out, and OTA Satellite on composite. Each system/port i have configured a little differently in picture and feature settings. Its nice that this TV remembers the settings for each configuration. It is also nice that i can quickly change from Antenna to Cable in the menu without requiring a full scan each time ( an issue i encountered with some other TV's i have tried recently).

HD antenna looks fantastic, SD cable looks poor, but similar to all other TV's i have tried. At least the samsung properly sizes the SD signal and does an adequate job with the poor quality source. One thing that is missing is a signal strength meter on the HD antenna source. Something that all the other TV's i have used recently have had, even really cheap TV's. So i don't know why Samsung does not have this feature.

I use Game mode for the xbox and PS3, since I primarily only play games with the consoles, and use media player for videos. I tweaked the default settings to improve picture quality while in game mode, I also disabled all processing features like dynamic contrast, and anything else I could turn off. I had no issues playing a dark game, I did not notice any lag, sound issues, etc with game mode on and with everything disabled on the tv.

For my media player I set the picture settings to either have the automotion off or I set a custom setting with very low values on each of blur and judder.
I also disabled any Mpeg or noise filtering. 720p and 1080p videos look great after tweaking. Generally I prefer the movie mode picture setting with a few minor tweaks put in.

A laptop was tested with HDMI, and I had to configure the screen size within the nvidia menus to get it to fit properly as the samsung TV did not size 1920x1080 correctly on the first try. This may be due to the nvidia driver using an older setup for a different TV that I have recently returned. Sound and video worked fine from PC through HDMI. I have not tried VGA connection yet but plan on doing so soon, the only problem is that the older laptop i have with a VGA connection does not like to output 1920x1080 through VGA on any TV I have ever tried. ( even with manual tweaks in nvidia driver )

I also have this TV connected via its Ethernet port into my home wired network. The TV only connects at 100 and not gigabit but thats ok as gigabit is not required. The built in media player is able to find my DLNA Twonky media server, that runs off my NAS with no issues. It plays all the .avi (divx/xvid) files i have, and only a few of the .mkv files i have.
The only real problem i have with this TV so far is that its built in media player is quite poor and does not play all my .mkv's. It does not make a whole lot of sense why, since my PBO media player and my WD media player ( on another TV) plays all my .mkv files fine. I was able to get some 720p and 1080p .mkv's to work on the samsung, but many of my other 720p .mkv videos do not play at all.
The samsung TV sees them but once you try to play them it says something along the lines of unsupported format. It would be nice if they came out with a firmware patch that would fix .mkv support and make it more universal like my other media players.

I tried using the built in firmware update feature and it said i already have latest firmware. I also checked online on a PC on the samsung website and the firmware listed is actually even older then the one already on my TV.

The remote on this TV is ok, its nice that it does light up to see at night.
It could use some improvements, one thing that is missing is a quick way to get to the motion settings, or a quick way to toggle between Picture in picture screens, or PIP audio when using PIP. Also it would be nice if pressing the channel buttons would automatically switch you to TV mode instead of having to cycle through the source menu ( i guess thats something i sort of got used to on my Sony TV's)

I have checked the heat that this TV gives off using a hand-held laser temperature probe, and its in line with all the other TV's i have tried in the last month. Depending on where i test either directly on the screen or on the back of the TV, the temp can range from ~30 to 40 degree C ( room temp 25degC) . The metal backing on this TV should be an advantage to help keep its LCD screen cool in comparison to some other TV's with plastic backing, and based on some of my previous TV tests, the samsung is a few deg cooler on the screen.

I also plan on testing power consumption soon with a power meter.

Overall the TV is ok, i have only had it for less then a week, and I have yet to fully test all its features and really play with it but so far it appears to be a keeper.
post #134 of 606 Old 09-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.interested View Post

I also plan on testing power consumption soon with a power meter.

here is what I measured for this tv, for each picture mode
dynamic = 145W
natural = 120W
standard = 115W
movie = 95W

movie mode with eco sensor on in a dark room ~ 50W

this tv uses much less power then the last few I tested, up to half as much.
I had a 40" LCD TV that used 200W in its average setting, so this samsung TV is quite good in comparison.
post #135 of 606 Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 PM

Hey Mr. Interested

I am looking in to getting this LCD TV & I was reading your setup & have a ?
I see that you have an OTA antenna & basic cable connected, did you join the two & run it into the one connection? I was hoping that this was possible but have read in the past that because basic cable & OTA antenna signals use some of the same frequency that it would not work. I know that there are manual switchers to change from cable & antenna but I was hoping there was a way to join both without having to switch it back & forth. There are diplexers out there for Satellite/antenna because of the different frequency but I am unaware of a cable/antenna one. Please enlighten me as I have an OTA antenna & basic cable without a cable box.

Thanks
post #136 of 606 Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo36 View Post

Hey Mr. Interested

I am looking in to getting this LCD TV & I was reading your setup & have a ?
I see that you have an OTA antenna & basic cable connected, did you join the two & run it into the one connection? I was hoping that this was possible but have read in the past that because basic cable & OTA antenna signals use some of the same frequency that it would not work. I know that there are manual switchers to change from cable & antenna but I was hoping there was a way to join both without having to switch it back & forth. There are diplexers out there for Satellite/antenna because of the different frequency but I am unaware of a cable/antenna one. Please enlighten me as I have an OTA antenna & basic cable without a cable box.

Thanks

You are absolutely correct, you cant just put the two together as they will interfere with each other.
I have actually tried with both put together with a general splitter and many of the channels do not get through, (primarily HD antenna ones).

Right now i use a manual switch, since I have also not been able to find a diplexer that works with SD cable and HD Antenna.

I would also love to get rid of my manual switch.
Maybe we should start a new thread and someone else might know of a better way to do this.
post #137 of 606 Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.interested View Post

You are absolutely correct, you cant just put the two together as they will interfere with each other.
I have actually tried with both put together with a general splitter and many of the channels do not get through, (primarily HD antenna ones).

Right now i use a manual switch, since I have also not been able to find a diplexer that works with SD cable and HD Antenna.

I would also love to get rid of my manual switch.
Maybe we should start a new thread and someone else might know of a better way to do this.

Thanks for the info, I had my hopes up when you posted originally. Oh well, we can keep searching & dreaming!!!
post #138 of 606 Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the detailed review and the data, Mr.interested.

Jim
post #139 of 606 Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

... OTA antenna & basic cable connected, did you join the two & run it into the one connection? I was hoping that this was possible but have read in the past that because basic cable & OTA antenna signals use some of the same frequency that it would not work.

Quote:

Oh well, we can keep searching & dreaming!!!

You can keep dreaming and searching, but it will be in vain. What you heard is correct: There is overlap, conflict, collision, what-have-you between OTA and cable signals. So there is no way to combine the two signal sources.

It would be nice if TVs had built-in switches, that you could switch with your TV remote, but I imagine the demand for that is so low that it's not worth the expense to add it.

Jim
post #140 of 606 Old 10-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Liked: 14
I understand there is an analog stereo out on the back of this set. Can anyone confirm whether the sound output is variable, and controlled by the remote?

i.e., if you plug in computer speakers, can you control the volume via the TV, or would they be set at a constant volume?

Please let me know....mom needs a new TV!

...just my $.02 - GST included.
post #141 of 606 Old 10-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post

I understand there is an analog stereo out on the back of this set. Can anyone confirm whether the sound output is variable, and controlled by the remote?

i.e., if you plug in computer speakers, can you control the volume via the TV, or would they be set at a constant volume?

Please let me know....mom needs a new TV!

Yes this TV does have a analog stereo out.
The audio out plug requires a mini plug (headphone style plug), which is not provided.

I have tested it by plugging it into an old stereo receiver.
The sound output does not appear to be variable, it is a simple analog audio out, which is not controlled by the volume on the set.
You will have to change the volume on the receiver.
Also you can simultaneously have the tv speakers on, and the receiver speakers as well.
If all you want to use is the receiver speakers, just lower the volume on the tv to zero (mute shows icon on screen full time) or disable the internal tv speakers in the menu.
post #142 of 606 Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 PM

scrolled through kinda fast and didn't see any imput lag results. did my own

using hxxp://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html and camera recording 240 fps
aero was off

lag behind monitor (samsung bx2331)
vga connection: 50 - 60ms
hdmi: 95-105ms
hdmi game mode: 50 - 60ms

not sure how it went to hell so bad from the A series
post #143 of 606 Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM

I finally took a plunge for this TV and I absolutely love it.

two questions that I have though (I am a LCD noob as I just upgraded from a tube TV)

1. I read something about the panel lottery for Samsung LCDs, and I understand that a lot of folks have the SQ02 version. I have a SN02 (yes.. SN not SQ)... what does that mean?

2. When I am playing a game (PS3) or using it as a monitor for my computer. It shows as 60Hz, I thought I bought a 120 Hz TV? (this is probably a silly question but I want to make sure my TV isn't defective... again... coming from a tube TV.. sorry for the noob questions)

Thanks for your time!
post #144 of 606 Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM

your ps3/pc outputs a 60hz signal
tv is still 120hz. it shows every frame twice
post #145 of 606 Old 10-13-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalsd View Post

your ps3/pc outputs a 60hz signal
tv is still 120hz. it shows every frame twice

So what outputs a 120Hz signal?

and... anylight on the model SN02 instead of SQ02???
post #146 of 606 Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Your pc can but the tv won't accept it.
No tv I know of can accept a 120hz signal.
Some high end crt monitors and like 10-15 lcd monitors that can. Your not gonna be able to find much past 24 inches though.
For the record, this is probably the wrong thread for this.
post #147 of 606 Old 10-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:

scrolled through kinda fast and didn't see any imput lag results. did my own

using hxxp://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html and camera recording 240 fps
aero was off

lag behind monitor (samsung bx2331)
vga connection: 50 - 60ms
hdmi: 95-105ms
hdmi game mode: 50 - 60ms

not sure how it went to hell so bad from the A series

what panel type did you test?

I have a SQ01 panel and I don't "notice" such horrific lag.
if I find some time I will also perform a lag test.
post #148 of 606 Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM

I didn't know the same model could use a different panel?
Where would I find that information?
post #149 of 606 Old 10-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I didn't know the same model could use a different panel?
Where would I find that information?

yes. Samsung can use different factories to make the same model tv.
On some sets it can be found on the model/serial number sticker on the right side of the tv. It is listed as "version" (mine was on sticker)
There is also a way to determine the version in the service menu somehow.
post #150 of 606 Old 10-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

+1

I'm waiting on a response to that as well. Last year was a joke with all the panels and the good and bad of each.

Seemed last year the SQ's and CN's were most desirable, what panels are you guys getting this year?

When I checked Samsung parts sometime ago there were two panel
manufacturers for the LN630D models, Samsung and Chi Mei Optoelectronics.
Not sure if AUO panels are being used however its likely we will see
several different Samsung panels inside as well as CNs, CMs, etc.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46d630 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv Black , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page