Official Samsung LNxxD630 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #181 of 608 Old 12-05-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have no banding and no problems with detecting HDMI sources (haven't tried component). The only HDMI issue I've ever had was occasional flickering of the GUI from my Denon AVR, which currently feeds all my sources to the TV over a single HDMI cable. This issue is noticeable as soon as the TV is turned on. It's an HDMI handshake issue--turning the TV off for a few seconds rectifies it.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 608 Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I would like to just get a refund and buy something local, but where I bought it has a "hassle free" return policy filled with hassles. They say they only exchange for a replacement, no refunds. I've otherwise enjoyed the TV.
post #183 of 608 Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 PM

Hey all...

Loving my TV except for one thing - the ESPN, Golf Channel, etc tickers at the bottom of the screen are very choppy and difficult to read. It's not always like that, but when it is it's very obvious and distracting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks..

Adam
post #184 of 608 Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

What setting are you using for AutoMotion?

post #185 of 608 Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

What setting are you using for AutoMotion?

I've tried a few. "Off, "Clear," and Custom with Blur to 10 and Judder between 0 and 2. Like I mentioned, it doesn't do it all the time, but it's very obvious when it does.

I also get a dropped frame now and then when watching golf. Not sure if it's something about the full-screen green grass background, but a rolling ball or swinging club will sometimes skip a beat.

Otherwise, still loving the set. Even though TV is only broadcast in 720p, the quality of the picture is often noticeably more detailed with the D630 over my older Samsung 720p DLP. Good stuff.

Thanks.

Adam
post #186 of 608 Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a lot of these dropped frames until I switched the feature to Clear. That seemed to reduce the frequency of this problem from tv sources. I was getting it from some bluray sources that were arriving at 1080p/24, and the problem went away when I had these sources send 1080/60 instead.

post #187 of 608 Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Well this is interesting. I switched to 720p rather than 1080i on my U-Verse box and the stuttering pretty much went away. I watch a lot of sports, so that's probably the best setting for me anyway, but I never saw this using 1080i on my old DLP.

I'm fine with the "fix," but wondering why I had to do it. Also - any drawbacks from going 720p over 1080i on the D630? Everything I've read about the topic in general indicates that it's a preference thing and difficult to discern in most cases.

Adam
post #188 of 608 Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If you don't see the loss of resolution at 720p, then there would be no reason to go back to 1080p. If you're sitting far enough away from your tv, the difference might not be noticeable. I'm 8 feet from my 46" set and I can readily see the difference between 720 and 1080 on 1080 material.

post #189 of 608 Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM

bikergofast:
I am having that same problem with my ln46d630. I get a faint band about an inch and a half to two inches wide. It only happens when a source is being feen to the tv. I can see it in scenes that are low lit. It is really anoying, not sure what it is. Thinking about calling Samsung to see what they have to say.

Thanks
post #190 of 608 Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Today I returned my Vizio E470VA 46 inch and got the Sammy D630.

My gosh I can't believe the difference. The D630's picture just blows away the Vizio.

I do have a few questions though.

When I hit the Info button, is says 60hz. Shouldn't it say 120hz?

I prefer the Dynamic viewing mode since I like the really bright screen. But is there a downside to using that setting? I wouldn't want to TV's bulbs to burn out faster because I use the Dynamic mode.

Lastly, I have Verizon Fios with an HD box. It can only display a max of 1080i. Does anyone know if Verizon has an HD box which can output at 1080p?

Thanks
post #191 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flentge View Post

bikergofast:
I am having that same problem with my ln46d630. I get a faint band about an inch and a half to two inches wide. It only happens when a source is being feen to the tv. I can see it in scenes that are low lit. It is really anoying, not sure what it is. Thinking about calling Samsung to see what they have to say.

Thanks

I'm seeing that band more often now, it's clearly visible on a blank screen (with obvious feed coming in), but since I game at least 50% of the time I'm returning this model.
post #192 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 AM

I made a separate thread about this too, but I thought it might get read more in this thread.

This is an odd problem but I don't know too much about the TVs and I was hoping someone here would help me out. Be easy on the new member .

Anyways, whenever the TV is trying to display a quick moving texture that is somewhat intricate like highly detailed gravel or grass the textures get noticeably darker while they are in motion.

I have included a video of the problem. Pay especially close attention to the terrain in this video, you'll notice that while standing still the terrain looks normal and as soon as I look around the terrain gets dark and then returns to normal brightness/tone when the movement stops. I've noticed this happening more pronouncedly when games (starcraft 2, skyrim, modern warfare 3 and Deus ex:hr) are in 1080p and less so in 720p.

I'm on the fence about exchanging it for another TV or trying another unit of the same model if this is not a normal phenomenon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w85xqbKZ3VA
post #193 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedCarrot View Post

Today I returned my Vizio E470VA 46 inch and got the Sammy D630.

My gosh I can't believe the difference. The D630's picture just blows away the Vizio.

I do have a few questions though.

When I hit the Info button, is says 60hz. Shouldn't it say 120hz?

I prefer the Dynamic viewing mode since I like the really bright screen. But is there a downside to using that setting? I wouldn't want to TV's bulbs to burn out faster because I use the Dynamic mode.

Lastly, I have Verizon Fios with an HD box. It can only display a max of 1080i. Does anyone know if Verizon has an HD box which can output at 1080p?

Thanks

Dynamic mode is quite bright and can be ideal for certain situations, but is not recommended. I have read numerous times on numerous Samsung threads that Dynamic mode is bad for the TV and can reduce its life span. If you like a bright picture, you can use movie mode and make tweaks to those settings. I personally would recommend CNET's calibration settings to get you started and then brighten up the picture using the backlight from there....but that's just my opinion.

Also, when you hit the info button you are given a reading of the source device. The 60hz is coming from your cable box, DVD player, or whatever was connected to it. No matter what souce device you are using, the TV will always refresh the screen at 120hz. If you ever watch a bluray and enable 24p mode, if you hit info you would see 24hz.
post #194 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I have no banding in my set at any time, whether there is video playing or the screen is blank. Could this problem occur in panels with a different source than the panels without banding?

post #195 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Dynamic mode is the royal road to unrealistic color and sharpness that are unlike the source. But live with it if you like it!

post #196 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rporonga View Post

Mr interested: what other TVs did you compare the Samsung to? I am considering the LG 47LK520 and was wondering if you compared the Samsung to it.

I wouldn't mind seeing if someone could weigh in on this also. I'm pretty much torn between the two. The Sammy supposedly has the better overall resolution, but the LG supposedly has a better viewing angle and motion resolution.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #197 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Dynamic mode is the royal road to unrealistic color and sharpness that are unlike the source. But live with it if you like it!

Actually I like the brightness and colors of the Dynamic mode even though I know they are not totally accurate. Probably the same reason I like the Samsung Galaxy S 2 phone I have. Many people say the same about phone's OLED screen being too saturated.

I actually love it. Kinda crayonish. hehe

@walshfever

Thanks for the reply. The only major difference in the Dynamic mode is the back lighting is up a bit higher. Someone in a Vizio thread said the opposite that it really wouldn't do damage fo the bulbs.

Guess maybe I should research it more. But by the time the bulbs would go out it would probably be time for a new tv anyway. hehe
post #198 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedCarrot View Post

Someone in a Vizio thread said the opposite that it really wouldn't do damage fo the bulbs.

Guess maybe I should research it more. But by the time the bulbs would go out it would probably be time for a new tv anyway. hehe

There are no bulbs in this TV. Bulbs can be found only in video projectors and those long-gone rear projection sets.

post #199 of 608 Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 PM

I love the picture of this set. But Samsung's quality control on the LN46D630 appears poor. I returned two of these sets due to light leakage at the bottom corners that was severe enough to be distracting when watching dark scenes in a dark room.

The leakage produced a noticeable "clouding/flashlight" effect. Three LN46D630s I've brought home have had the same light leaking issue. It is only noticeable when watching a dark scene in a dark room, but it is there, and drives me nuts. I am a Battlestar Galactica fan, so those space scenes highlight the light leakage all too well.

How disappointing!!! I am trying to decided if i can "live with it" or need to try a different brand altogether. Since all 3 of the LN46D630 sets I tried had the same issue, I am not confident I will be able to find one that does not leak light near the corners.
post #200 of 608 Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 AM

Hey all,

I've attached a picture of my LN40d630's identification sticker and am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what panel it has?. I'm very happy with it (have had it since July) but I have also noticed the slight frame rate hiccup with Automotion plus and am curious to learn more...
LL
post #201 of 608 Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisporSchitritch View Post

Hey all,

I've attached a picture of my LN40d630's identification sticker and am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what panel it has?. I'm very happy with it (have had it since July) but I have also noticed the slight frame rate hiccup with Automotion plus and am curious to learn more...

On my unit the panel number is on the right edge.
post #202 of 608 Old 12-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Hey guys, I've noticed something on my 40D630 (SQ01) and am wondering if it's something to be concerned about.

On a cold boot after perhaps six-plus hours of inactivity, the unit will make a loud buzzing noise followed by an even louder hissing sound, (the former lasting two seconds, the latter lasting approximately five), before beginning the traditional power-on sequence including the Samsung chime. It has the current firmware.

My previous model, an LNT4065F, was replaced in May due to the capacitor recall, and symptoms on that began with a similar (yet quieter) hissing sound followed by massive pink pixelation, vertical lines, and spontaneous restarts. I'm worried I might be heading down the same path.

Anyone else seeing this?
post #203 of 608 Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisporSchitritch View Post

Hey all,

Isn't the very point of Automotion to add frames where they don't' exist? Why would you even have that enabled? If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
post #204 of 608 Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal4bass View Post

I love the picture of this set. But Samsung's quality control on the LN46D630 appears poor. I returned two of these sets due to light leakage at the bottom corners that was severe enough to be distracting when watching dark scenes in a dark room.

The leakage produced a noticeable "clouding/flashlight" effect. Three LN46D630s I've brought home have had the same light leaking issue. It is only noticeable when watching a dark scene in a dark room, but it is there, and drives me nuts. I am a Battlestar Galactica fan, so those space scenes highlight the light leakage all too well.

How disappointing!!! I am trying to decided if i can "live with it" or need to try a different brand altogether. Since all 3 of the LN46D630 sets I tried had the same issue, I am not confident I will be able to find one that does not leak light near the corners.

I'm going through the same thing right now. Been through 3 sets as well all have the light leakage in the bottom corners although mild it is very distracting. On top of that each set seems to have some degree of noticeable vertical banding during panning shots especially in games when panning the camera. I love this set for its pq and features like customizable automotion settings which it seems only Samsung does. Just a very frustrating experience.
post #205 of 608 Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridShadow View Post

I'm going through the same thing right now. Been through 3 sets as well all have the light leakage in the bottom corners although mild it is very distracting. On top of that each set seems to have some degree of noticeable vertical banding during panning shots especially in games when panning the camera. I love this set for its pq and features like customizable automotion settings which it seems only Samsung does. Just a very frustrating experience.

I would be interested to know if anyone has (recently) purchased a LN46D630 that does not have the light leakage issue at the bottom corners. I would dearly love to find one that operates correctly!
post #206 of 608 Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal4bass View Post

I would be interested to know if anyone has (recently) purchased a LN46D630 that does not have the light leakage issue at the bottom corners. I would dearly love to find one that operates correctly!

Think your retailer may have gotten a bad batch or something. I've only seen you and one other here, and about two or three people on Amazon (out of 65 or so legit reviews) report light leakage issues. Some exchanged for a set without leakage. So I don't think it all that common.
post #207 of 608 Old 12-13-2011, 04:24 AM

Mine doesn't have any light leakage.
post #208 of 608 Old 12-13-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

No light leakage on mine.

post #209 of 608 Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafter65 View Post

Think your retailer may have gotten a bad batch or something. I've only seen you and one other here, and about two or three people on Amazon (out of 65 or so legit reviews) report light leakage issues. Some exchanged for a set without leakage. So I don't think it all that common.

Thanks for the response(s). It is encouraging that most people seem satisfied without light leakage issues. I even tried an exchange with a store many miles away, but that set had the same light leakage issues. The retailer in my area is probably pulling from a common shipment in their regional warehouse. BTW, this issue is not limited to the LN46D630 model. I have found the same complaints online about other Samsung LCD models dating back a couple of model years. It must be that problematic production runs are getting shipped before the issue is identified.

I plan to call Samsung to see what they suggest.
post #210 of 608 Old 12-13-2011, 01:22 PM

I bought a LN40D630 at Walmart over the weekend and it had light leakage issues all at the bottom.

Returned it for another one, and the new one has no issues.

Looking at the ID sticker up above, it shows that the LN40D630 is 60Hz, but I thought it was a 120Hz. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46d630 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv Black , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread