Sony hx729 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 782 Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I finally picked up the 55" HX729 on Tuesday and spent the past two days setting up the TV and testing out it's features.

Using the suggestions of earlier posters here I tried using their settings as a baseline, although I didn't notice a huge difference between the factory settings. TV looks good though.

Colors really pop on the screen and the action is very fluid and fast. It will be nice when I set up an antenna to test the over the air signals so I can see some uncompressed TV feeds to compare to my HD cable box.

Tested out the 3D last night with Call of Duty Black Ops on the Xbox and Tron Legacy on 3D bluray. Had some troubles getting the 3D up and running, but that's because home theatre system was still set up for my last TV which was only using component cables and could only do 1080i. So a quick change of a couple of the internal settings and I was ready to go.

WOW. Call of Duty looks incredible. I need to change the setting to Game mode as I still had it on my custom settings to see if that will make it look even better, but the depth of view is awesome. I only tested it for a few minutes, so tonight I will see what it's like actually running and gunning in 3D to see how it handles.

As for the Bluray 3D, I felt like I was in the movie theatre. The effects are awesome and the TV does a great job of recreating the same movie experience. I only had the glasses on for a few minutes so I can't comment on any eye strain or headaches. I didn't notice any flashing or cross talk or anything like that - I was sitting directly straight to the TV though, so maybe I'll try sitting off to the side to see if that changes anything.

To anyone who is commenting on the glare in the glasses, turn your lights off in the room. I think that will help. If there is too much ambient light around you then of course you are going to get some glare off the glasses..

As for the glasses themselves, I feel they are pretty light and comfortable. They didn't seem to bother me - the 250 model. I have 1 - 200 model as well (the compact) so I will see if those are better or worse.

At this point I am super happy with the TV, and will spend the next little while tweaking the settings and playing with them to see what works best for the different situations (Xbox, Bluray, Cable).

Thanks to everyone for their comments and keep em coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 782 Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM

i got 46hx729 from bb now how am i connect to internet that has
security code (i.e oz8004) and this code change every week i got
internet signal but how can i put this code....
I got it....
post #273 of 782 Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Hey guys,
I currently have a Sony 52xbr4 and I was thinking about upgrading but I didnt know if i would see a difference. I was looking at a 55hx729 besides the 3d is it worth it. Thanks for the help in advance.
post #274 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 AM

Liked: 11
Hi,

I just received my new KDL-46HX729 from B&H photo, which will replace my "old" 42LG50 (which I sold for 350 $ to one of my friend).

42LG50 was a very good TV, but I changed it because I wanted a 3D TV with a motion interpolation function (yeah, I am one of those who likes the "soap opera effect" because judder makes my crazy!). I got it for 998$ : black friday special price! It is listed at 1 999$ here in Canada...go figure LOL.

At first look, the TV looks well built and sleek. Installation is very easy. Colours and picture in general look very natural and the TV is very very bright (I had to turn the backlight to 0 because my eyes were burniing!). This TV has also a lot of features that I will explore soon!

I will do a basic calibration soon, before doing a full professional calibration after a 100 hours break-in period.

Stay tuned!
post #275 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

"I will do a basic calibration soon, before doing a full professional calibration after a 100 hours break-in period."

Perhaps that applies to Plasma TV. I have not seen anywhere the 100 hour rule applying to LCD (LED) TV.
post #276 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Hard to say if the 3D is worth it. I mean is it worth it to you?

I was due for a TV upgrade, so the fact that the HX729 had the 3D was more or less a bonus. As far as a 2D TV goes it is awesome.

I spent 30 minutes last night watching Trong Legacy in 3D with my wife. I wanted to test a couple of things when it came to the Active Shutter 3D effect.

Firstly, if you turn off the lights in the room you will significantly reduce any chance of glare in the corners of the glasses.

Secondly, I tested sitting offset from center to see if that would ruin the effect at all. It did not. I was sitting to the right and my wife to the left of center and we both still had a great 3D effect. The disc wars in Tron were amazing with the disc looking as if it was hovering outside the edge of the screen as it raced by. Was awesome!

I tested out Call of Duty on the Xbox 360 and I found the level of depth to be amazing. I am going to try a run and gun level so I can see what it really feels like when the action is running full to see if there is significant slow down. Also I am going to boot up Gears of War 3. That game is a beautiful game so I want to see how good it looks in 3D.

As far as the calibrating went, I took a few suggestions from people here as for their settings but honestly it didn't seem to change a heck of a lot from the stock look of the TV. It looks awesome and I can't wait to test out an antenna to see what OTA channels look like uncompressed.

I was a little worried when I bought the TV after reading some stories from people here about flashlighting, crosstalk, poor quality.. but I have experienced nothing of the sorts and can't wait to see what else this TV can do..
post #277 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

"I will do a basic calibration soon, before doing a full professional calibration after a 100 hours break-in period."

Perhaps that applies to Plasma TV. I have not seen anywhere the 100 hour rule applying to LCD (LED) TV.

The break-in period applies to all electronic devices.
post #278 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRabbit79 View Post

The break-in period applies to all electronic devices.

Where did you ever see or hear that, Best Buy?
post #279 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Where did you ever see or hear that, Best Buy?

Nah, I'm not a fan of BestBuy advices...

Well...maybe not all electronic devices do "require" a break-in period, but for some, it is recommended, like A/V receivers, amplifiers, speakers, analog speaker cables and yes lcd tv's. I know that many people may disagree with this, but I'm a purist.

http://goodsound.com/index.php?optio...iews&Itemid=37

http://www.ariaaudio.com/WTomUS.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/how_7289687_break-lcd-tv.html

Also, from personnal experiences calibrating TV's, grey scale reading with a colorimetric probe or a spectrometer on an LCD tv out of the box and after 100 hours may results in a difference of more that 200 K in color temperature value.

So don't break in, but let me do it!
post #280 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nah, I'm not a fan of BestBuy advices...

Well...maybe not all electronic devices do "require" a break-in period, but for some, it is recommended, like A/V receivers, amplifiers, speakers, analog speaker cables and yes lcd tv's. I know that many people may disagree with this, but I'm a purist.

http://goodsound.com/index.php?optio...iews&Itemid=37

http://www.ariaaudio.com/WTomUS.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/how_7289687_break-lcd-tv.html

Also, from personnal experiences calibrating TV's, grey scale reading with a colorimetric probe or a spectrometer on an LCD tv out of the box and after 100 hours may results in a difference of more that 200 K in color temperature value.

So don't break in, but let me do it!

Man, that's some beautiful equipment. I used to be in electronics for many years in the US Air Force. In the old days we had to burn-in any equipment with vacuum TUBES, just like that amp you show there. Indeed, tubes will start degrading the moment you first turn them on and then they'll stabilize until they start to go. Solid state equipment is different. If you want to make sure it's working properly...just turn them on and leave them on overnight. That should suffice.

But, unlike vacuum tubes, solid state equip. usually don't degrade as fast. You just want to make sure that it operates as intended.

With that said, it's your equipment. ENJOY IT :-)

Hugh

PS - Speaker cables?????? That is a new one!
post #281 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Man, that's some beautiful equipment. I used to be in electronics for many years in the US Air Force. In the old days we had to burn-in any equipment with vacuum TUBES, just like that amp you show there. Indeed, tubes will start degrading the moment you first turn them on and then they'll stabilize until they start to go. Solid state equipment is different. If you want to make sure it's working properly...just turn them on and leave them on overnight. That should suffice.

But, unlike vacuum tubes, solid state equip. usually don't degrade as fast. You just want to make sure that it operates as intended.

With that said, it's your equipment. ENJOY IT :-)

Hugh

PS - Speaker cables?????? That is a new one!

Yeah, maybe you are right about tube vs transistor and capacitor. But I will always respect my break in period, otherwise I'll be jinxed!

About analog audio cables, yeah it is true. For Hi-End systems, TRS audio cables can cost more that 1 500$ per 6 feet and depending on the material it is made of, the sound quality will reached its full potential when the electrons are perfectly aligned in the cable.

http://www.avrev.com/forum/cables/5-...-system-7.html

Well anyway I don't think this is the proper thread to talk about break-in...
post #282 of 782 Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM

After watching some movies and playing some games, I was wondering if anyone else observed these negatives phenomenons? :

1- LED edge light leaking in both bottom left and right corners when there is a blank black screen (no color information like top/bottom black bars in a movie with a screen ratio of 2.35:1). Normal viewing does not show it that much (bright full screen).

2- Some backlight non-uniformity, there are vertical and horizontal strip bars that appear lighter in brightness when there is a solid color image on screen (ex.: a image pattern of dark gray 30 IRE). Normal viewing with average brightness does not show this much.

3- When MotionFlow is set to "Smooth" (240hz, ex.: 24p + 216p interpolated frame per seconds) there are artefacts in fast moving scenes or pans, especially if there are lines in the source, like fences (it is reduced when the Scene Mode is set to "Animation").

Thank you in advance
post #283 of 782 Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:

After watching some movies and playing some games, I was wondering if anyone else observed these negatives phenomenons? :

1- LED edge light leaking in both bottom left and right corners when there is a blank black screen (no color information like top/bottom black bars in a movie with a screen ratio of 2.35:1). Normal viewing does not show it that much (bright full screen).

2- Some backlight non-uniformity, there are vertical and horizontal strip bars that appear lighter in brightness when there is a solid color image on screen (ex.: a image pattern of dark gray 30 IRE). Normal viewing with average brightness does not show this much.

3- When MotionFlow is set to "Smooth" (240hz, ex.: 24p + 216p interpolated frame per seconds) there are artefacts in fast moving scenes or pans, especially if there are lines in the source, like fences (it is reduced when the Scene Mode is set to "Animation").

Thank you in advance

I called SONY technical services and these phenomenons are normal and due to the edge lit backlight. You can deacrese its effect by lowering the backlight or by increasing the black corrector. For MotionFlow and the artefacts, set it to Standard, Clear or ClearPlus.
post #284 of 782 Old 12-03-2011, 01:55 PM

I picked up 3 46hx729s during Black Friday and I have been playing around with the calibrations and tweaking it ever since. I like everything about this display except one small (well maybe 2 or 3) detail BUT it's driving me bonkers and was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this.

I own a Sony 46NX810 and I have placed one of the HX729 displays bumped up against it. I purchased 3 HX729s because I want to use them as a triple panel gaming display for the PC, XBox 360 (Forza 3 and 4) and PS3 (GT5). I noticed while playing GT5 and Forza 4 that the 729 appears to be over scanned when comparing it to the HX810. The font is larger and menus don't fit on the screen as tight as they do on the HX810. Does the 810 have a higher pixel count on it's panel than the HX729? I cant find out this information any where.

Also, every review or piece of information (even though there is not much on the HX729 since it's so new) I can obtain has the HX729 ahead on contrast ratio, peak white and deep blacks. Yet the NX810 appears darker blacks and brighter whites when comparing them side by side using the same or similar settings. The NX810 also appears to have more vibrant colors.

Does this have more to do with the gorilla glass and opticontrast or are they just very different displays with the same overall features? I am asking because I was thinking of taking back the HX729's and picking up 3 HX820's instead but no stores in my area carry the HX820 so I cant compare them side by side.

Does anyone know if the only thing separating the HX820 from the HX729 is the opticontrast panel and gorilla glass or is it possible they have different panels altogether?

I was going to pick up the Samsung D7000 or 8000 for it's super small bezel which would be ideal for a triple panel gaming display but after hearing about all of it's issues (severe clouding, uniformity issues, banding, limited tweaks in game mode) it's the HX729 or HX820 for me. Three HX929 are out of my budget but man is it tempting.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Sony and the sales rep could not answer my questions with certainty. That was frustrating and really disappointing. Oh well, hopefully someone here knows if the HX729 and HX820 have different panels. All he could tell me is he "is almost positive" the 929 and 820 have different panels but he is not positive about the 729 to 820. I read differently about the 929 and 820 (meaning they not only have the same panel manufacturer but are the exact same panel) but I cant find any information regarding the 729 vs the 820.
post #285 of 782 Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 AM

As far as I know from doing some research, the 820 and the 729 are in fact the same panel. The only difference being the Gorilla glass and the opticontrast. the 929 is much different from both the 820 and 729 because it uses the Motionflow 960 instead of the 480.

It could be some settings you haven't quite calibrated yet to your liking??

I just got my 729 last week and I am still playing around with the settings. Hard for me to compare to anything because I came from a 42" Grand WEGA rear projection LCD, so this TV looks leaps and bounds better...
post #286 of 782 Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 AM

i finished setting up my hx729 when watching hd movies i see no flashlighting or clouding on dark scene but when the tv is switching to different inputs or when activating online features like netflix i see clouding and flashlight when the screen turns black before the netflix screen apears. is this normal or should i exchange my tv?
post #287 of 782 Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst527 View Post

i finished setting up my hx729 when watching hd movies i see no flashlighting or clouding on dark scene but when the tv is switching to different inputs or when activating online features like netflix i see clouding and flashlight when the screen turns black before the netflix screen apears. is this normal or should i exchange my tv?

Decided not to look in the other thread? As i did answer with exactly the same response you are going to get here.....

Aaron
post #288 of 782 Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 AM

is it possible to get google tv on this tv?
post #289 of 782 Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see how...however, as they say...nothing is impossible in this life!
post #290 of 782 Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 AM

I have a weird situation, and I don't know if it is due to my TV or my PVR box.

When I am watching cable tv, everytime I change the channel the screen on the TV blacks out for a second before each channel comes up, rather than just switching the channel. It's almost like the TV is trying to switch inputs when it's changing the channel. I don't know if this is a setting I can fix with the TV or if it is due to the cable box.
post #291 of 782 Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr View Post

I have a weird situation, and I don't know if it is due to my TV or my PVR box.

When I am watching cable tv, everytime I change the channel the screen on the TV blacks out for a second before each channel comes up, rather than just switching the channel. It's almost like the TV is trying to switch inputs when it's changing the channel. I don't know if this is a setting I can fix with the TV or if it is due to the cable box.

Normal for a digital signal

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #292 of 782 Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know where to put this question so since I'm getting the HX729 (12/17), I thought here. The instructions for the BR250 glasses only mention 3 minutes for 3 hours use. Staying in chat with Sony support took 45 minutes to get some answer-that you can charge them 30 minutes for 30 hours use. I have the glasses and charged one pair using the Sony accessory AC-U501AD/C. I may have left them in the charger a couple of hours. Can they be overcharged???

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #293 of 782 Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM

thanks steve ans, I figured it out anyways..

turns out not all the cable channels are coming in at the same feed through my Pace PVR box (some are 720p, some are 1080i). When switching between two channels where the feeds are both 720p or 1080i nothing happens - the channel changes immediately. However if I am switching from a channel that is being shown in 720p and move to a channel that is in 1080i, the TV needs to adjust itself to the new signal - hence the short blacking out phase. Makes sense, just seemed like something was wrong at first.

As for the 3D glasses question, I don't know if you can overcharge necessarily. I mean when you charge your cell phone overnight, do you wake up in the middle of the night to unplug it or do you just leave it charging? The glasses should be fine if you leave them plugged in. I don't charge them with a wall adapter though, I charge them with the included USB cable..
post #294 of 782 Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 AM

im thinking of getting this 3d glasses TDGBR50/B for my hx729 they are currently on sale for $28 a pair. is that price a good price and are this glasses any good. im new to 3d tv so im not realy sure which glasses to buy or if theres off brand cheaper glasses available that would work for this tv.
post #295 of 782 Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Can anyone speak to the performance of the 2D to 3D conversion? I just got my TV and plan on getting the Oppo 93 3D blueray player but not just yet. Saving up for it.

But would love to get the 3D glasses if they perform well with the 2D to 3D conversion.

Thanks.
post #296 of 782 Old 12-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by club1820 View Post

Can anyone speak to the performance of the 2D to 3D conversion? I just got my TV and plan on getting the Oppo 93 3D blueray player but not just yet. Saving up for it.

But would love to get the 3D glasses if they perform well with the 2D to 3D conversion.

Thanks.

I had a 55hx729 and returned it because the 3d had just too much crosstalk for my liking. I did try the 2d-3d feature and I thought it was a complete mess.

Rob
post #297 of 782 Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Rob, thanks for the response.

I actually didnt get the TV for the 3D. Wasnt even looking for this feature. But the price was too good to pass up. Plus, I've always intended on getting the Oppo 93. So really, the 3D aspect is just a bonus for me. 2D looks great on this set. At least to me. Thought I might get the 3D glasses in the meantime if the 2D to 3D is even half-way decent. I expect it to be significantly better with the 3D Blu-ray player.

Can anyone else chime in with their thoughts on the performance of the 2D to 3D conversion of this set? Or should I just wait to purchase the glasses until I get the 3D Blu-ray?

Thanks.
post #298 of 782 Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

You would have to buy the NSZGT1 Google Blu-ray player.
post #299 of 782 Old 12-10-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr View Post

thanks steve ans, I figured it out anyways..

turns out not all the cable channels are coming in at the same feed through my Pace PVR box (some are 720p, some are 1080i). When switching between two channels where the feeds are both 720p or 1080i nothing happens - the channel changes immediately. However if I am switching from a channel that is being shown in 720p and move to a channel that is in 1080i, the TV needs to adjust itself to the new signal - hence the short blacking out phase. Makes sense, just seemed like something was wrong at first.

As for the 3D glasses question, I don't know if you can overcharge necessarily. I mean when you charge your cell phone overnight, do you wake up in the middle of the night to unplug it or do you just leave it charging? The glasses should be fine if you leave them plugged in. I don't charge them with a wall adapter though, I charge them with the included USB cable..

Upper tier Sony Product Specialist told me that leaving the 3D glasses plugged in for extended periods of time will shorten viewing time just as Apple suggests to not leave a MacBookPro plugged in continuously as battery life will diminish. quicker

post #300 of 782 Old 12-10-2011, 08:55 PM

i took a picture of what is suppose to be a white screen but i see a couple of brown lines on the screen is this normal or should i exchange my tv?
LL
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 46hx729 46 Led Hx729 Internet Tv , Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55hx800 55 1080p 3d Ready Lcd Tv Free 6ft Hdmi Cable With Ethernet , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40hx800 3d Ready Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page