Sony hx729 - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #781 of 789 Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok well turns out Sony doesn't make the screen anymore and unless I find a used one, it can not be fixed. I was told this by 4 different Sony authorized service vendors. So luckily my homeowners insurance has told me since it can't be repaired , find some tvs that are comparable in both size and price and put a list together. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 789 Old 04-02-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshop856 View Post

Ok well turns out Sony doesn't make the screen anymore and unless I find a used one, it can not be fixed. I was told this by 4 different Sony authorized service vendors. So luckily my homeowners insurance has told me since it can't be repaired , find some tvs that are comparable in both size and price and put a list together. Any suggestions?

If comparable in price means approx MSRP...

Samsung PN64F8500 64-Inch Active 3D Plasma: ~ $3100 at Amazon.com
Sony XBR-65X850A XBR 65" 4K Ultra HD TV ~ $4000 at B&H Photo
Sony 65" XBR-65X900A X900 Series 4K Ultra HD 3D Internet TV ~ $4500 at B&H Photo

You could probably kick in the difference if they push back on how much they'll pay.

Just keep in mind that your homeowners insurance may go up since you are putting in a claim. And if you have their adjuster come out just to give an estimate, that may also go against you.

post #783 of 789 Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 168
My KDL-46HX729 got a firmware update today from PKG4.022AAA to PKG4.025AAA. (I got the same FW update two days ago on my XBR-55HX929.)

The changelog has not been posted yet on either Sony product page (here or here), but should appear within the next two weeks if precedent holds.
post #784 of 789 Old 12-09-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another new firmware update PKG4.027AAA. No information on the Sony website yet.
post #785 of 789 Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I subscribed and followed this thread for some time now, before purchase, and enjoyed our 55HX729 for going on three years now.

I recorded and tried the different user settings that others have posted. Ended up taking a bit from column A, a few from column B, but noticed some bits are better than others.

Moved our family room furniture a bit, and a chair near the TV shows the black background to me often is a cloudy, dark grey. So I was thinking about digging through the settings I'd saved from this thread and fiddling some more.

Is there anything remotely like a consensus about a "best results settings"? We don't do video games, but the occasional action movie. Some settings showed some mosaic / pixellation on fast action shots or sports programming.

I know you can save different settings for different inputs, and while the nerd in me appreciates that, I just don't think I'm willing to put in the time right now.

Besides, it's rare that any TV show, movie, or sporting event has my full and complete attention.

If you have your "ideal," can we revive this zombie thread and compile a "Best of" after multiple years of use?

Thanks, and Season's Greetings, everyone!
post #786 of 789 Old 12-15-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje31 View Post
I subscribed and followed this thread for some time now, before purchase, and enjoyed our 55HX729 for going on three years now.

I recorded and tried the different user settings that others have posted. Ended up taking a bit from column A, a few from column B, but noticed some bits are better than others.

Moved our family room furniture a bit, and a chair near the TV shows the black background to me often is a cloudy, dark grey. So I was thinking about digging through the settings I'd saved from this thread and fiddling some more.

Is there anything remotely like a consensus about a "best results settings"? We don't do video games, but the occasional action movie. Some settings showed some mosaic / pixellation on fast action shots or sports programming.

I know you can save different settings for different inputs, and while the nerd in me appreciates that, I just don't think I'm willing to put in the time right now.

Besides, it's rare that any TV show, movie, or sporting event has my full and complete attention.

If you have your "ideal," can we revive this zombie thread and compile a "Best of" after multiple years of use?

Thanks, and Season's Greetings, everyone!
As you yourself have apparently discovered, there is no "one size fits all" ideal setting. There are many variables that impact on PQ, including ambient lighting, viewing distance, personal preferences, et al, not to mention slight differences in the individual panels. Thus, for example, I am using different calibration settings on my bedroom 46HX729 and my living room 55HX929.

Your best bet is to find a good baseline (which you seem to have done) and then fine-tune the settings using a good calibration disc, such as the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition.
post #787 of 789 Old 12-15-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks, chi_guy. Yeah, I'll probably spend some time later this week fiddling with settings again, or over Christmas.

With the settings I have, I never saved it to a name or intended use or input. Is it possible that, when the unit does its periodic firmware / software updates, do the current settings unintentionally sometimes get changed? Go back to Factory Default? Or is it just because I'm sitting closer and noticing faults more?
post #788 of 789 Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dje31 View Post
Thanks, chi_guy. Yeah, I'll probably spend some time later this week fiddling with settings again, or over Christmas.

With the settings I have, I never saved it to a name or intended use or input. Is it possible that, when the unit does its periodic firmware / software updates, do the current settings unintentionally sometimes get changed? Go back to Factory Default? Or is it just because I'm sitting closer and noticing faults more?
There is a standard disclaimer that displays when you load a FW update that stipulates that some settings may have changed, but I don't think the individual calibration settings are among those and I have never seen them altered via an update. At most, you might find a more global-type of alteration, such as the setting memory changed from Common to Current Input.

My modus operandi is to fine-tune the Standard setting and use that universally (like you, I don't want to have to switch settings based on source material, and I use my TV's as monitors with all the external sources inputting into my AVR). I also tone down the Vivid setting and will use that in the bedroom during daylight hours when the room is much more brightly lit than it is for night-time viewing. I often use the Custom setting for a reference calibration from a third-party source, such as Cnet, just for comparison purposes. I save a spreadsheet for each of my TV's with columns for each setting showing both the default and adjusted values; this way I can quickly judge whether something has been inadvertently changed and can easily reset it.

Last edited by chi_guy50; Yesterday at 06:27 AM.
post #789 of 789 Unread Today, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the info on the latest FW update (PKG4.027AAA, Release Date 12/13/2014):

This software update (version PKG4.027AAA) provides the following benefits: Improvements over version PKG4.025AAA:
  • Enables Transport Layer Security 1.0 (TLS1.0) to enhance security of Internet applications
  • Improves reliability to the Secure Sockets Layer 3.0 (SSL3.0)
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.027AAA:
  • Improved performance and stability of the Internet features
  • Adds the ability to use the Skype® online calling service
  • Adds the "What's New" feature
  • Media Remote (Software keyboard, Full / Simple Remote and Shake Track ID)
  • VAIO® Remote Keyboard
  • Media Remote (text by voice)
  • Audio Theatre Control Widget
  • WMV/WMA Codec for DLNA / USB
  • Adds the capability for 3D via USB (3D models only and requires 3D active glasses)
    Note: Allows you to view your Bloggie® 3D camera content when connected through the USB port on your TV
  • Improves performance and stability of IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) features
    Note: IPTV allows you to enjoy HD (High Definition) programming from the Internet on your BRAVIA television that is connected to a broadband Internet connection
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 46hx729 46 Led Hx729 Internet Tv , Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55hx800 55 1080p 3d Ready Lcd Tv Free 6ft Hdmi Cable With Ethernet , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40hx800 3d Ready Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page