post #91 of 782 Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post

Wow, where can you get a 55HX729 for $600?

I saw a brand new one for $1300 at a major retailer.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 782 Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Yeah, I've been looking at the 46" size, but at the same time I'm so pumped about the new elites. The sharp le925 looked so good last year, I may wait to see what they actually look like before making a purchase.
post #93 of 782 Old 08-15-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

Would you suggest getting this set over the 55HX820 if the added protection of gorilla glass? Which is really is not a deciding factor for me as I live alone. I can get this one for around $600 and or the 55HX820 for a grand. Trying to make the final decision now.

it all comes down to personal preference as i'm sure you've been told a few times already. i wasn't a big fan of the monolith design and gorilla glass thus I didn't go with the 820. you will be happy with both. happier than you are now waffling back and forth for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireJockey View Post

So how are you guys liking the menu/interface that has taken a big hit in reviews?

now that i have everything set up the way i like it i barely touch the menus so it's had no negative effect on me. if i was supposed to spend my tv time shuffling through menus and not watching i would probably turn it off and pick up a book instead.

and it's like everything else. once you know where everything is located it's easy. if anything the menus are cluttered, not unusable by any means
post #94 of 782 Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

Would you suggest getting this set over the 55HX820 if the added protection of gorilla glass? Which is really is not a deciding factor for me as I live alone. I can get this one for around $600 and or the 55HX820 for a grand. Trying to make the final decision now.

don't even hesitate, go with the hx729. it's awesome!!!

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #95 of 782 Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Yeah Fry's had it for $1399.99 with a free 3D bundle too.
Can't believe they'd sell it for half off retail, and then have the ex720 sitting right next to it for $1999.99 WTF???

post #96 of 782 Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 PM

Does anyone have the response time for this HX729 46" model for PS3 gaming? I'm considering this and the Panasonic 42" ST30. I'm hearing how bad the lag is for LEDs. I went to Best Buy the other day and finally figured out what input lag was about. I played infamous 2 which I have at home. I noticed it took longer to turn and aiming was little wobbly at Best Buy.
post #97 of 782 Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerRise View Post

Does anyone have the response time for this HX729 46" model for PS3 gaming? I'm considering this and the Panasonic 42" ST30. I'm hearing how bad the lag is for LEDs. I went to Best Buy the other day and finally figured out what input lag was about. I played infamous 2 which I have at home. I noticed it took longer to turn and aiming was little wobbly at Best Buy.

I play streetfighter 4 on my ps3 (LCD) and my xbox360 on my LED and I don't see or feel any difference between the two. My combo's fly on both the same.

post #98 of 782 Old 08-16-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayhem View Post

now that i have everything set up the way i like it i barely touch the menus so it's had no negative effect on me. if i was supposed to spend my tv time shuffling through menus and not watching i would probably turn it off and pick up a book instead.

and it's like everything else. once you know where everything is located it's easy. if anything the menus are cluttered, not unusable by any means

That's good to know! If you would read the review I read you would think it was unuseable .

Are you using the supplied remote or did you go with an aftermarket?
post #99 of 782 Old 08-16-2011, 05:29 AM

If you have an iPhone or iPad Sony has a remote control App that includes a regular keyboard. It's free on the iPhone site and seems to work very well.
post #100 of 782 Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:

read post #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireJockey View Post

That's good to know! If you would read the review I read you would think it was unuseable .

Are you using the supplied remote or did you go with an aftermarket?

I use my AT&T U-Verse remote for all of the standard stuff. If i'm watching Crackle, Hulu, netflix, or something from my network i use the Sony remote.
post #101 of 782 Old 08-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 View Post

I play streetfighter 4 on my ps3 (LCD) and my xbox360 on my LED and I don't see or feel any difference between the two. My combo's fly on both the same.

That's good to hear as well as MikeMayhem's comment earlier about Uncharted 2 (one of favorite games!). I saw a demo of the 46" HX729 today at hhgregg. My god, the picture was amazing! I don't know if that is supposed to pull me in. They showed those Sony advertisements on the screen making it very smooth, great colors, blacks and whites, etc.
post #102 of 782 Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 PM

New to forums here and I was looking for a review on the HX729, but with low financing 0% over 48 months on a Sony Card, I ended up biting the bullet.

I went with the following package at a Sony Style store
1) HX729-55 inch
2) 3D glasses (buy 2 adult get 2 free child size glasses)
3) Bought the extended 5 year warranty (with the combo of the TV I paid $50) for it.
Total Damage after Tax, etc.. $2450 which with all the stuff I got is way better than the retail of the TV itself ($2799).

I recently implemented an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver because my Pioneer Unit started clipping and eventual the volume would not go above a certain point without the unit shutting down.

I have a mix and match of the JBL E series Speakers (2 Towers, 1 Sub, 1 Center Channel, 2 Side Bookshelves and 2 rear Book shelves), and I decided to go with a new TV because the Darks on my Toshiba DLP were just not cutting it anymore, I was seeing blotches during dark scenes and given the TV is 6+ years old I decided to go with the TV.

Setting up was easy. I was able to lift the TV by myself and get it on a Traditional TV stand. Putting the stand on was straighforward, a couple of screws, and it was ready. I want to mount it but the way my living room is set up it doesnt have many walls that look correct for mounting. Setup was a breeze, One HDMI out to the Onkyo and that is hooked up to all my different AV components.

I have the following:
1) PS3
2) Verizon FIOS
3) Viewsonic VMP70

Also I have implemented a Wifi Bridge with my AV setup because my internet connection runs into upstairs where I use an EnGenius ECB3500 as my AP with a full 25Mbs down/up connection to via FIOS business. The TV is wireless and setup was easy (like a PS3 setup) but I needed a bridge because I do get heavy signal loss from where my first AP so I decided to make a Wifi Bridge using a second ECB3500 and a small Cisco 5 port Gigabit switch. I hooked the TV, PS3 and the Onkyo up to the switch and viola I get no signal loss/video chop when running Netflix, Hulu+ or stream media from my media server in the upstairs room.

My controller:
Logitech 650 Controller

Setting up my Logitech was nice, but I quickly ran out of devices that I can control with it. I might look into buying a better one, but for now I will deal with it. The logitech can control up to 5 devices, I have it controlling my TV, Receiver (primary room, secondary room), VMP70, PS/3 (only controlling audio).

1) TV Menus - Menus are pretty easy to go through and choose what you want. Netflix and Hulu+ are both decent and if you have a good internet connection really do not clip at all. The menu system has a lot of stuff in it and although it is broken out pretty intuitively I wish it was like the PS3 menu.
2) Edge Bleeding - I do not get much edge bleeding at all on this unit. I was thinking it would be more but when I have all the lights off there is very little. I was actually happy about this.
3) Darks - Now when I asked about the Darks on this TV I was able to compare this to the HX820 right next door. I could see a little bit of reflection from the Gorilla Glass, but in true retrospect I can tell very little difference between the darks of both TVs. In my house when completely darkened I get a nice rich blend of darks. I always use Oceans 13 BR because there is a night scene where reds/blues all come together. On my old DLP there was so many darks and they sort of mismashed together. I had a hard time discerning any detail in the picture. With the sony there was no blotchy picture, no graininess and I could easily see the contrast in the reds and blues against a purple sky.
4) Motion Engine - This is the main reason I bought this TV. I saw Inception at the Sony store and particularly the scene where the crowd is rushing the building where they are doing a job (train scene at the beginning) is awesome, I mean the camera movement is so much more sensitive. It feels like you are in the room and the detail on the motion/human/explosion is pretty unique. My girlfriend was even amazed at it (personally she doesnt like it because she hates seeing some much detail) I tried to compare this side by side to the HX820 and I could see very little difference. The salesperson said if you like watching movies the Engine on the HX729 is a little bit better because it works on a pixel by pixel basis versus the 820 which works on a frame by frame basis (not sure about this) but in comparing I had a very hard time. I watched the intro scene to Inception on both TVs 5 times in a row trying to see where the differences occurred, and really it was that hard. In the end the Gorilla Glass didnt make much difference and I like a matte finish on my laptops because it cuts down glare naturally.
5) PS3 gaming - Playing Call of DUty in simulated 3d is nuts. Playing Grand Turismo 5 in full 3D is INSANE. I love both of these games and they look beautiful. Call of Duty has mostly bright maps, but there are some fight maps that have dark colors with a bunch of red/black along with explosions from players that just make the TV even more worth it. I also play LA NOIRE and this game has so many dark scenes that on my 32 LCD it looks really bad, but with this TV the dark scenes are actually visible.
6) 3D - I bought the package that has the glasses and it included Narnia 3D. The movie looked pretty good and the PS3 autodetects 3D and prompts for 3D or 2D. Simulated 3D even looks good I tried it during several movies, 300 looks awesome, the characters really have some dimension and the fight scenes are great. 3D TV, like ESPN 3D is ok and there are some issues when watching it, the TV menu says normal and ESPN 3D is doing Over Under, swapping the TV Menu to Over Under fixes the issue. Regular football, soccer, and basketball games only really look good when they are close in action shots, otherwise only the sports logo (espn3) and the scoreboard are 3D in far away shots (like half court views or field views of a football/soccer field).
7) Additional Features - You can sign up for more services, but the only thing that gets me is the price, Having Netflix/Hulu+ is already $20 per month, pair that with FIOS TV and I am burning close to $200 on subscription costs. I also prefer physical copies of movies (I do buy my share of BRs but some of them I like to borrow from friends once in a while) and having them on my VMP70 is nice. 1080p movies look great. I am waiting to see Avatar in 3d, but I think I'll wait for the non Panasonic Version. Also I have not done much with the Picture settings because it seems like the TV was built for my living room. The colors come out great and the darks are visible. I do have curtains that cut down background glare, so I believe that helps too.
8) Controllers - This part kinda irks me because I have 3 controllers for this, the PS3 controller (because it is bluetooth), the TV controller for stuff that I can't access via the Logitech (like 3D settings, and some menu settings), and the Logitech. With my other TV I had one controller and I only pulled the backup out if I had battery issues or something really quirky. I hate going through and programming a Logitech and this seems like the only solution (I am still pondering getting a better logitech for the amount of devices it can control). I really feel that Sony should have stuck with one type of format RF or Bluetooth. I also get the PS3 contoller and the TV controller mixed up because they look somewhat identical and even have the same color buttons.

Either way I really recommend the TV. I am really happy with my purchase and I have yet to throw a TV party/PS3 Party at my house. From friends who have seen it they are amazed at the picture quality along with the simulated 3d.
post #103 of 782 Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 PM

^ Awesome review.

Though I see a few inaccuracies, the 55HX729 and 55HX820 use the same X-Reality PRO Engine. So I'm not sure what you meant about the frame to frame / pixel to pixel reference.

I'm on the fence about these two sets still. I've seen the 46HX729 in person and the screen is definitely not a matte finish. I've only seen the NX720 in person, how much more reflective was the HX820?
post #104 of 782 Old 08-18-2011, 05:04 AM

just go look at the 929 or any other top tier model and you'll see. they all have gorilla glass.
post #105 of 782 Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM

You are correct the I mixed up the engine from the NX720 which is what I am talking about the pixel vs frame processing from the motionflow. (but hey I do not know what to believe from a salesperson).

If you have a MAC with a gloss screen or have used one I like to compare it to that. The gorilla glass gives it a frameless look. The TV is not a matte finish (you are correct) but its definitely not glass. I was also told that the gorilla glass protects it from bumps here and there, but really who just blindy runs into a TV of this size?

Finally I played Modern Warfare Black Ops in 3D and its really amazing, blood, explosions, the sight line when looking down the gun is sweet. I ended up doing worse that I usually play but its really crazy how much 3D changes the game. Also just as note - your eyes really begin to strain after 3 hours of playing a game in 3D mode. I felt almost crosseyed after I took the glasses off.
post #106 of 782 Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconpyro View Post
You are correct the I mixed up the engine from the NX720 which is what I am talking about the pixel vs frame processing from the motionflow. (but hey I do not know what to believe from a salesperson).

If you have a MAC with a gloss screen or have used one I like to compare it to that. The gorilla glass gives it a frameless look. The TV is not a matte finish (you are correct) but its definitely not glass. I was also told that the gorilla glass protects it from bumps here and there, but really who just blindy runs into a TV of this size?

Finally I played Modern Warfare Black Ops in 3D and its really amazing, blood, explosions, the sight line when looking down the gun is sweet. I ended up doing worse that I usually play but its really crazy how much 3D changes the game. Also just as note - your eyes really begin to strain after 3 hours of playing a game in 3D mode. I felt almost crosseyed after I took the glasses off.
How was the gaming in 2D? Did you have much of any input lag while playing? I am curious as this is a factor in my choice for an HX729.
post #107 of 782 Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 View Post

Yeah Fry's had it for $1399.99 with a free 3D bundle too.
Can't believe they'd sell it for half off retail, and then have the ex720 sitting right next to it for $1999.99 WTF???

I just bought a 2nd one at Fry's tonight for my bedroom. I know is way oversize for it but at that price it just can't go wrong. I am playing with the build-in internet video content with a vpn. It is actually pretty interesting what Sony offered with different countries (US/UK/HK/JPN). The built-in BBC iPlayer is very nice.
post #108 of 782 Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 PM

I just picked up the HX729 today from Best Buy, the local store had it for $1499, plus Sony had a pair of glasses for free on their website so I got those thrown in too!

I had been looking into this TV because it seems to be the higher end model, but the lower 720 series was selling for more, go figure.

I've only watch a movie on PS3 and some TV and the picture is great. The glare from the screen is pretty intense, I had a dull screen before and think that's better if you have windows...and what house doesn't? That's probably why the display models are in a dark corner with no lights.

Adjusted the picture to "custom" and it toned down the contrast to an acceptable level, but I may go in and play with the settings to see where it should be.

Overall, for the 8 hours I've had the TV I'm happy. It logged into my router, and I'll check on if it needs an update tomorrow. I think it was one of the best TVs for the money out there.
post #109 of 782 Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Anyone know the optimal settings for 'sharpness' and 'resolution' for movie watching? Thanks.
post #110 of 782 Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Does anyone have the calibration settings for the Sony 46HX729? I have not seen them anywhere.
post #111 of 782 Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 AM

After a long search, I just ordered the 55HX729. It was between the Samsung 7000/8000 or the LG6500 but I liked what Sony offered plus I have had nothing but good experiences with my previous Sony tvs. It should be here later this week or early next week.

I assume that this is the Official HX729 thread?
I second the last post. We need to get some settings posted.
post #112 of 782 Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 AM

I found some calibration settings on a website: http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm

They didn't seem to change much though.
post #113 of 782 Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM

I used these settings and couldn't tell much of a difference
post #114 of 782 Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 PM

I think im going to pull the trigger on sony 46hx729. I saw one on amazon shipped and sold by vanns for like $1,269.00. That's awesome. However, is Vann's a legit authorized online retailer?
post #115 of 782 Old 08-23-2011, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I think im going to pull the trigger on sony 46hx729. I saw one on amazon shipped and sold by vanns for like $1,269.00. That's awesome. However, is Vann's a legit authorized online retailer?

Yes.
post #116 of 782 Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:

So why don't you just go to Fry's and get a 55HX729 for $1399?
post #117 of 782 Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 PM

So after 3 frustrating Samsung 2011 LED TVs all with really bad flashlighting, clouding and then banding on the 3rd one, I gave up on Samsung and decided to go with the 46HX729. This TV is being delivered to me tomorrow.

Can anyone talk about their experiences with the TV? I don't expect perfect uniformity and backlight bleed issues but the Samsungs I had (6420 and 6900) were intolerable.

Also I read that there might be a lot of flicker with the 3D mode? Can anyone talk about their 3D experience?

--
PS3 40 gig (upgraded to 160 gig)
XBOX 360
Sony DG-810 Receiver
Yamaha 5.1 NS-P1600 Speakers

Latest Purchases:
Mad Men S1, Hellboy 2
post #118 of 782 Old 08-23-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wincer View Post

So why don't you just go to Fry's and get a 55HX729 for $1399?

There isn't one in the DC area.
post #119 of 782 Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Hello everyone,

Just picked up a 55HX729 from Fry's for $1399, along with 3D glasses and 3D BR. This is my first LED HDTV and was wondering what the best calibration settings would be for the best picture quality? I read all posts and saw that at televisioninfo's site that you recommended, there were calibration settings for the 46". This might be a no-brainer question, but since I'm new to this, I will ask anyways. Can I assume that these settings will apply to the 55" as well? Does size matter? :P

If it does matter, are there any recommendations for my set?

On a side note, how does the HX729 compare to the XBR909 from Sony? I ask because we just returned the XBR909 (46") - open box item because the screen would randomly flicker to black for a split second. Just wondering if the XBR engine makes a huge difference in quality.

Also, I have noticed that on the 729, sometimes objects that have a "busy" background behind them cause a weird blurry effect along the border of the object during motion. Is that avoidable by changing settings? (In the movie Old Dogs, there is a scene where Travolta and Williams are talking in the bathroom and the blurriness around them due to the busy background was horrible)

Thanks!
post #120 of 782 Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasrem View Post

Hello everyone,

Just picked up a 55HX729 from Fry's for $1399, along with 3D glasses and 3D BR. This is my first LED HDTV and was wondering what the best calibration settings would be for the best picture quality? I read all posts and saw that at televisioninfo's site that you recommended, there were calibration settings for the 46". This might be a no-brainer question, but since I'm new to this, I will ask anyways. Can I assume that these settings will apply to the 55" as well? Does size matter? :P

If it does matter, are there any recommendations for my set?

On a side note, how does the HX729 compare to the XBR909 from Sony? I ask because we just returned the XBR909 (46") - open box item because the screen would randomly flicker to black for a split second. Just wondering if the XBR engine makes a huge difference in quality.

Also, I have noticed that on the 729, sometimes objects that have a "busy" background behind them cause a weird blurry effect along the border of the object during motion. Is that avoidable by changing settings? (In the movie Old Dogs, there is a scene where Travolta and Williams are talking in the bathroom and the blurriness around them due to the busy background was horrible)

Thanks!

These are mine, It looks perfect to me after these tweeks

First go into Menu>Settings>Picture and Display> Ambient Sensor (Off)

Now GO to Options>Picture Adjustments

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Picture: 75
Brightness 40
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 50
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise reduction: OFF
Dot Noise Reduction: OFF
Reality Creation: Auto
Smooth gradation: Low
Motionflow: Standard
Cinemotion Auto 1

Now Under Advanced Settings>

Black Corrector: High
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: OFF
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic control Standard
Auto Light limiter Medium
Clear white: Low
Live Color: Low
(White balance leave alone)
Detail Enhancer High
Skin Naturalizer: OFF
Edge Enhancer OFF

Lastly, go into settings>Preferences>Scene select and take it off auto and set it to "General"

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 46hx729 46 Led Hx729 Internet Tv , Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55hx800 55 1080p 3d Ready Lcd Tv Free 6ft Hdmi Cable With Ethernet , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40hx800 3d Ready Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page