AVS Forum banner
482K views 2K replies 336 participants last post by  shadow_zero 
#1 ·
Internet access plus incredible picture quality—even in 3D.

Fusing a striking picture with elegant design, Edge LED backlit BRAVIA® EX720 Series LCD HDTVs are packed with state-of-the-art technology, including 3D in Full HD 1080p. Watch your favorite fast-action movies and sporting events in crystal clear detail thanks to X-Reality™ Engine. In addition to advanced energy saving features, this HDTV is Wi-Fi® Ready which lets you instantly stream hit movies, popular TV shows and the latest music from Qriocity™, Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, YouTube™, Pandora® and many more when you add the UWA-BR100 wireless adapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PICTURE SETTINGS FROM PROFESSIONAL VIDEO SITES:

CNET Picture Settings

-Picture Adjustments menu--

Setting Memory: [any]

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 2

Picture: 95

Brightness: 54

Color: 53

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: Min

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Motionflow: Off

CineMotion: Auto 1

--Advanced Settings menu--

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: +1

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]

i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

--White Balance menu--

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: 0

B-Gain: 0

R-Bias: -2

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -2

Flat Panels HD

Picture mode: Custom

Backlight - 5

Contrast - 89

Brightness - 57

Color - 50

Hue - 0

Sharpness - 0

Color temperature - Warm2

Noise reduction -Off

Mpeg noise reduction -Off

Motionflow On

Film-mode Auto 1/Auto 2

Black corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma - 0

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Colour Off

Detail/Edge enhancer Off

R Gain -10

G Gain -9

B Gain 0

R Bias -2

G Bias -1

B Bias +1

HDTVTest Settings EX723

Picture Mode: Cinema1 (Select Cinema Under Scene first)

Backlight: 9

Picture: 90

Brightness: 50

Colour: 50

Colour Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Dot Noise: Auto (for TV and Old Shows)

Motionflow: Clear

Film Mode: Auto2

Detail Enhancer: Your choice, for SD material only

White Balance: -3 -1 0 -2 -1 -2

----------------------------------------------------------------

PROS AND CONS

CONS

1) Crosstalk

See less See more
#278 ·
Looking for things like this isn't going to help anything. Overall I'd say this television does a "fine" job of displaying 3D.

And blindly justifying your purchase by ignoring obvious flaws doesn't help anyone either. I would never recommend this TV for 3D and the fact another brand has the same problem is totally irrelevant. Try playing a game like Crysis 2 where the top 25% of the screen is so doubled it hurts your brain. I don't think I'll be able to beat it again in 3D because it's so bad.

To anyone who doesn't like to pretend obvious flaws aren't there, please see my thread "3D on an EX720" on the Sony forums and post there to see if we can get this issue patched. The more we get, the better.

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9542

#279 ·
I just got my replacement TV and guess what? I still have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. Today I tried something a little different. I went on the PSN and went to the video section and I downloaded all the free 3D content. The entire top half of the screen has double images on EVERY SINGLE VIDEO. Next I tried Directv's 3D channels. I recorded several shows on 3 different channels. EVERY SINGLE SHOW had severe crosstalk on the ENTIRE TOP HALF OF THE SCREEN. I have 2 pairs of the older 100 glass and 2 pairs of the newest 250 glasses. I also have Sony's polarized filters. The image looks exactly the same no matter what glasses I use and even with the polarized filters. The filters do make it so you can move your head around but they make the image a lot darker.

#281 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis /forum/post/20603491

I just got my replacement TV and guess what? I still have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. Today I tried something a little different. I went on the PSN and went to the video section and I downloaded all the free 3D content. The entire top half of the screen has double images on EVERY SINGLE VIDEO. Next I tried Directv's 3D channels. I recorded several shows on 3 different channels. EVERY SINGLE SHOW had severe crosstalk on the ENTIRE TOP HALF OF THE SCREEN. I have 2 pairs of the older 100 glass and 2 pairs of the newest 250 glasses. I also have Sony's polarized filters. The image looks exactly the same no matter what glasses I use and even with the polarized filters. The filters do make it so you can move your head around but they make the image a lot darker.

Thanks for the update Niko. I'm sorry but not suprised to hear the results of your replacement EX720. Somehow I was just hoping there would be some improvement. I tried watching 2 different 3D shows recorded from Direct TV using Xpand Universal 3D glasses. The results were no different from yours. It was almost unwatchable. Sure glad I didn't buy this set for the 3D! Though it would be nice to be able to use it just for kicks...like as in Football!

#282 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin /forum/post/20593245

Stock settings also have Contrast Enhancer and Black Enhancer ON- I would turn them OFF. Turn off everything under Advanced Settings and try what Cali said. Use Scene->General-> Custom. If that still looks too dark, try bumping up the Gamma under Advanced settings. Black Hawk Down is a very dark movie tho- it was filmed to have a very stark contrast between deep black.

Also under Eco- turn off Power Saver for now, to see if that helps you.

Thanks guys, I will try this over the weekend and let you guys know of the results. cheers.

#283 ·
It might be possible that some of you are just "Stereo-Blind" to 3D

"Not everyone is loving the 3D craze. Depending on which expert you listen to, between 2 and 12 percent of all viewers are unable to appreciate video shown in 3D."

http://www.mediacollege.com/3d/depth...ereoblind.html

#284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 /forum/post/20603923

It might be possible that some of you are just "Stereo-Blind" to 3D

"Not everyone is loving the 3D craze. Depending on which expert you listen to, between 2 and 12 percent of all viewers are unable to appreciate video shown in 3D."

http://www.mediacollege.com/3d/depth...ereoblind.html

Ive watched 3D in the theater and in the stores and it works just fine there...

#286 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb2599 /forum/post/20605112

Agreed...I tried out a Samsung LCD at Costco and the 3D was perfect! That really bummed me out.

Yeah but once you get it home you might be singing a different tune. I think it's inevitable that there isn't a single 3d tv out right now with perfect 3D.

#287 ·
Where can I get the polarized filters? I want to be able to move my head quite a bit.

Haven't tried Alice yet. Also been waiting for my replacement set. I'll also join the cause and post in your thread, the more merrier. Maybe they will be aware of the problem (if they still aren't). A half-baked product is unacceptable. I'm not saying that SBS 3D should look as good as Sony 3D, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be double vision galore!

#289 ·
I've tried Alice, IMAX Under the Sea, Tangled, Motorstorm Apocalypse, and Super Stardust HD. After reading this thread, all of them do exhibit the same problem: the images ghost and practically double on the top half of the 3D image. Same results using htpc, standalone 3d player, and ps3. Same results using both the older and newer sony 3D glasses. I'll be getting Avatar soon, so we'll see how much source content makes a difference with the 3D issues on this set.

#291 ·
Recieved my 3D Content today. Panasonic 3D Blu Ray Player, Avatar, Piranha, Deep Sea, Aquarium, Saw, Tron, and Despicable Me.

I found myself stunned the entire way through Avatar with no disappointments. If I have troubles later I'll let you all know.

#293 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321
Recieved my 3D Content today. Panasonic 3D Blu Ray Player, Avatar, Piranha, Deep Sea, Aquarium, Saw, Tron, and Despicable Me.

I found myself stunned the entire way through Avatar with no disappointments. If I have troubles later I'll let you all know.
How did you get the Panny player and Avatar at the same time?

#294 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkreply
How did you get the Panny player and Avatar at the same time?
I've got a buddy that gave the player to me, he upgraded so didn't need this one anymore. I'm also just borrowing the movies.

#295 ·
May I know everyone's lighting conditions? Just a survey. I always watch with everything off, except the TV's picture. Maybe that's why I love Light Sensor more than any of you. Watched Pirates 2 with Light Sensor off. It was a stunning picture... Save for the dark scenes. With LS On I have no problems with the dark scenes.

#296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 /forum/post/20609543

I've got a buddy that gave the player to me, he upgraded so didn't need this one anymore. I'm also just borrowing the movies.

Ahh, I see. I'm glad at least you like the 3D. I don't have enough experience with 3D to gauge this set properly, but based on the limited viewing I've seen panasonic plasmas are much better.

#297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20610586

May I know everyone's lighting conditions? Just a survey. I always watch with everything off, except the TV's picture. Maybe that's why I love Light Sensor more than any of you. Watched Pirates 2 with Light Sensor off. It was a stunning picture... Save for the dark scenes. With LS On I have no problems with the dark scenes.

I have light sensor off, everything off except when I'm watching cable (I actually like some of the post processing effects for SD content). I wall mounted mine and it's in a shaded room (my man cave). I agree that the 2D or standard picture is great.

#299 ·
Avatar-High Quality 3D, Minimal crosstalk occasionally.

Saw-Average 3D, Crosstalk occasionally.

Piranha-Average 3D, Crosstalk occasionally, Dark Scenes-Awful.

While crosstalk seems to exist somewhere in all the content I've seen, this tv does a good enough job of allowing you to mostly enjoy the experience.

Since I'm in such a light controlled environment it seems like I have to have light sensor turned on for TV and maybe even for 3D Movies, but not for gaming on 360.

#300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkreply /forum/post/20610908

Ahh, I see. I'm glad at least you like the 3D. I don't have enough experience with 3D to gauge this set properly, but based on the limited viewing I've seen panasonic plasmas are much better.

I disagree. My buddy who has a Panny GT25 says he sees the same crosstalk in the same instances that I do. I believe we have almost an equal experience in 3d. It's alot more then then tv alone-TV, quality of DVD, and your 3d blu ray player.

#301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 /forum/post/20611541

Avatar-High Quality 3D, Minimal crosstalk occasionally.

Saw-Average 3D, Crosstalk occasionally.

Piranha-Average 3D, Crosstalk occasionally, Dark Scenes-Awful.

While crosstalk seems to exist somewhere in all the content I've seen, this tv does a good enough job of allowing you to mostly enjoy the experience.

Since I'm in such a light controlled environment it seems like I have to have light sensor turned on for TV and maybe even for 3D Movies, but not for gaming on 360.

Finally! Someone that uses Light Sensor! I'm also in a light controlled environment and when I'm with my girl (who likes to watch with lights out), I switch on Light Sensor. When I'm with my brother who likes the lights on, light sensor is obviously off and I kick up the Backlight to at least 5.

For 3D Movies, Light Sensor and Power Saving are greyed out. I know, it's ugly for me to watch 3D with the lights off.

Watched Tron Legacy 3D. Gotta be the worst 3D movie I've seen on my set. It was BARELY 3D even when I turned Detail Enhancer to high. There were like 2-3 scenes that exhibited a semblance of 3D! I watched towards the end without the glasses, that's how non-existent the 3D were.

My opinion still stays the same: Resident Evil and Step Up are so far the best 3D content out there.

Gotta remind everyone though to turn of Cinemotion and MotionFlow during 3D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.