The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2042 Old 07-09-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone use this set as a PC monitor w/HDMI? How does it look? I'm sending the Sharp LE40835U back b/c it's awful as a monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2042 Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Anyone use this set as a PC monitor w/HDMI? How does it look? I'm sending the Sharp LE40835U back b/c it's awful as a monitor
I tried the 46" as a pc monitor with hdmi to hdmi. It is completely usable to me (that is, once I get a wireless keyboard). I did have to turn on Windows 7 cleartype (I normally have it off). This made reading text from about 8' much easier.
post #363 of 2042 Old 07-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post
I'm using CNET's settings as well, it's a good base. (Especially the White Balance) Before, my sets didn't allow me to enter the WB menu so Warm 2 was always Sepia Galore for me but now I'm appreciating more and more the natural picture and its impact because of the settings. I have yet to edit anything from CNET's but one thing that I may touch since I'm now watching with Light Sensor Off is the Brightness. Maybe put it to 51-52. The Gamma +1 too seems unnecessary.

This is the first time I've heard of the dark clouds. Can you post pictures? Clouding are evident in dark scenes and based on your description this seems like a new thing.
Here's a picture:

Dark clouds on the right and left sides. You can also see them during the green screens preceding trailers and during scenes that are shot against a blue sky.

Anyone else seen something like this? Thoughts?
post #364 of 2042 Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks bad. Either call Sony for service, or return/exchange it w/your retailer.
post #365 of 2042 Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post

I use it as my full time monitor. I use it via HDMI, yes, and it works flawlessly. I haven't tried sound, but after using them with the PS3, I don't think i want to.

If you have never used 1080p on a 32" before, get ready to squint, especially on sites like Facebook. However, you will get used to it. It's extremely sharp with no purple tinge on the text, or blurring of any sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewalk Gum View Post

Here's a picture:

Dark clouds on the right and left sides. You can also see them during the green screens preceding trailers and during scenes that are shot against a blue sky.

Anyone else seen something like this? Thoughts?

That is bad. I haven't noticed it, so i don't think this is a common problem. Get it replaced.
post #366 of 2042 Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM

Liked: 17
Sidewalk- I fiddled with my backlight (turned it way down and way up on a white screen) and didn't see anything like that... it is definitely not normal!

I have noticed some of the DSE (dirty screen effect) Cali was talking about. The top of my screen has some "smudges" that are only really visible when the background is solid light colored and in motion. It is certainly not a big problem. Even if you know it is there, you only see it 1% of the time. I do notice, however, it is more visible with lower backlight settings compared to what I usually use (5 or 6).

I also have a slightly discolored bar to the left of the Sony logo. It is very faint and only visible against a dim background at certain times. I noticed it in the night sky of Red Dead Redemption, and I can see it on the light blue "no signal" screen. Again, barely noticeable, not a big issue.

Neither of these problems is bad enough to make me get a sony tech out here, but that damn 3D really pisses me off. Sony has some balls trying to pass this off as a 3DTV. I was thinking of picking up a PS3 after I got this TV but after seeing yet another Sony botch, I am not enthused.
post #367 of 2042 Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have it on my set too. It's what I call the Dirty Screen (Effect). You'll notice it more when the camera pans between scenes.

I'm researching on the matter more. Haven't tried cleaning it with liquid yet (I'm scared that it might do harm to the screen). Maybe someone with extensive experience on this Dirty Screen effect may help us. For now, it's irritating me but not enough to make me bash the set. (Though I've called already for home visit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

I have noticed some of the DSE (dirty screen effect) Cali was talking about. The top of my screen has some "smudges" that are only really visible when the background is solid light colored and in motion. It is certainly not a big problem. Even if you know it is there, you only see it 1% of the time. I do notice, however, it is more visible with lower backlight settings compared to what I usually use (5 or 6).

Hey Cali did you ever get the dirty screen effect taken care of?

Bitter the "DSE" on my screen is all over my screen and occurs as multiple streaks across the entire screen most are small and thin but several are a few inches wide. A few I can "wipe" away but if i let it sit they seem to come back after a short time. I think it might be a problem with the matte layers bonding agent.
post #368 of 2042 Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:

Neither of these problems is bad enough to make me get a sony tech out here, but that damn 3D really pisses me off. Sony has some balls trying to pass this off as a 3DTV. I was thinking of picking up a PS3 after I got this TV but after seeing yet another Sony botch, I am not enthused.

I was excited to play PS3 games as well, and enjoy some movies. But yeah, 3D is a ****ing pain on this screen.

The assurance from the Sony mod is welcomed but no further update since then. I am not even sure if Sony will resolve this problem.

Who thinks otherwise? I really hope they do. It's a pretty kick ass TV otherwise.
post #369 of 2042 Old 07-11-2011, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very helpful.

I've still got some time left on my 30-day exchange period with the retailer (Best Buy). Do you think that's a better/easier bet than calling up a Sony tech at this point?

Let's hope a replacement shows some improvement.
post #370 of 2042 Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 AM

Sidewalk, definitely do the exchange at BB. It will be way less of a hassle and I think you just got a bum TV.

Oldman- yeah I'm not too hopeful about our thread at Sonyforums, but hey, if we keep bugging them, maybe something will get done.
post #371 of 2042 Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

My DSE is still not taken care of... But I barely notice it nowadays.

For me, I did notice it when I had my backlight at a low level. (Like kevin noted) It's not multiple streaks for me though. Just two vertical bars on the right side. Now I've turned light sensor off... and backlight at 9 to experiment on the settings. Haven't noticed it in a while. (Except if I'm looking for it thoroughly)

I'm using HDTVTest.Co.Uk's settings. (Found at page 4) It's way sharper than CNET's but then again I'm not that much fan of Clear. Just enoying Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

I'll try cleaning my screen. I'm more positive now that you mentioned that you can wipe some of it off.
post #372 of 2042 Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

On line HomeTheatre Review here:

By: Adrienne Maxwell, July 11, 2011
http://hometheaterreview.com/sony-kd...hdtv-reviewed/
post #373 of 2042 Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 AM

but this Sony did a very good job with my standard demo scenes from Monster House (Sony) and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (20th Century Fox), as well as a recorded NCAA football game from ESPN 3D. When I did see crosstalk, it was primarily while watching 3DTV channels, not 3D Blu-ray.

Way to go the extra mile, Mr Reviewer. "The stuff the company that made the TV gave me for my review looked great!!!"
post #374 of 2042 Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM

HI all - just taken delivery of a Sony40EX720 and very happy ...... except that when we are viewing through our Topfield recorder we get a very quick green flash (about a 10th of a second at most) every 15mins or so. Don't seem to get it when we're watching the TV directly. Any suggestions? I've read on some forums that it may be related to the HDMI cable.

Also we have tremendous sound loss when watching through the Topfield. Again, any suggestions?

Thanks
post #375 of 2042 Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Is that a Freeview PVR? If so, you might have better help on a UK site. Google "avforums"
post #376 of 2042 Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

On line HomeTheatre Review here:

By: Adrienne Maxwell, July 11, 2011
http://hometheaterreview.com/sony-kd...hdtv-reviewed/

It seems like most people are falling in love with the "Clear" option. I'm going to leave it on for a week and observe. This is the third review that I've seen them setting it to Clear.
post #377 of 2042 Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Sorry Nigel, I don't have one of those...

Cali, I've mostly been using Standard (because I use a slightly modified version of Standard/Scene:General) for Motionflow on Digital TV. I'll give Clear a shot as well. I don't use that stuff for Xbox tho.
post #378 of 2042 Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 AM

Thanks Tabasco, will ask as yes, it's Freeview (in Australia)
post #379 of 2042 Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry Nigel, I don't have one of those...

Cali, I've mostly been using Standard (because I use a slightly modified version of Standard/Scene:General) for Motionflow on Digital TV. I'll give Clear a shot as well. I don't use that stuff for Xbox tho.

Modified version? I thought you hated post processing stuff!

What I've observed.. Clear plus Auto 1 is somewhat like Standard, minus the blurring. Clear plus Auto 2 is just like Clear with Cinemotion OFF.
post #380 of 2042 Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Hahaha, I do, but I wanted to see if any of that stuff would help the 1080i compressed signals of digital FIOS cable. I use Scene: General- Standard with all noise reduction on Auto, Motionflow Standard, and Edge/Detail Enhancer on Medium. Everything else I turned off. I do think the Motionflow on Standard did help with sports, but I do not like Clear- it dims the picture. I wonder why?
post #381 of 2042 Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Black frame insertion, so just up the backlight to compensate.
post #382 of 2042 Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Has anyone seen this yet?http://en.akihabaranews.com/101441/h...%80%9D-lcd-tvs I watched a few 3d clips and they look ok on my kdl-40 ex723 Sony3D Experience free clips.
post #383 of 2042 Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Sorry because there is no specific HX720 thread. Can someone tell me if that clouding is normal in an edge led tv?Model KDL-40HX720
Anyone have this on the ex model?Please upload a photo to compare
post #384 of 2042 Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 AM

Black frame insertion, so just up the backlight to compensate.

Is that what Clear does? Do you have a description of what each setting does? So far my googling has been unsuccessful. Thanks!!

Has anyone seen this yet?

I have watched stuff on Qriocity in 3D (bikini babes woohoo!) and it does look better than side-by-side 3D. This is because it is the Frame Packing format that Sony endorses. The problem is that MOST 3D content is in Side by Side.

Can someone tell me if that clouding is normal in an edge led tv?

Mine has 2 spotlights in the lower left corners and a little cloud above the Sony logo at bottom center. Otherwise, no flaws on a black screen. ut your model has local dimming I think, and we do not.
post #385 of 2042 Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hahaha, I do, but I wanted to see if any of that stuff would help the 1080i compressed signals of digital FIOS cable. I use Scene: General- Standard with all noise reduction on Auto, Motionflow Standard, and Edge/Detail Enhancer on Medium. Everything else I turned off. I do think the Motionflow on Standard did help with sports, but I do not like Clear- it dims the picture. I wonder why?

Our digital cable is worse than anyone's. When I set all noise reductions on Auto, it greatly blurs the picture.

I saw a lot of review sites describing the Clear function. I saw two out of five like the feature, basically it's like MotionFlow on Standard minus the Soap Opera effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDTV_blur

Strobing blacklight, black frame insertion, etc are all the same.

"Black Frame Insertion (BFI)
One of the benefits of the faster response time is the ability to incorporate what is called black frame insertion. By inserting a black frame in between the normal video frames, not only does the overall response of the pixel improve because the gray to black and back to gray will occur faster than gray-gray transitions in these fast LCDs, but the inserted black frames between the picture frames allows for improved black levels approaching those available with a CRT. So right there you can see the value of a 8 ms LCD since the frames will be doubled requiring a 120 Hz screen update. On some slower responding LCDs this black frame is inserted by turning off the backlight rather than just the LCD pixels."
from http://www.highdefinitionblog.com/Pages/LCD/LCD.html
post #386 of 2042 Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 PM

So frustrated. So i got Rio in 3D and the it's just terrible. The double vision is incredible. I can overlook some of it but it just keeps on increasing. Night scenes are unwatchable.

I am going to complain to my local Sony branch and ask for an exchange. I really doubt Sony will fix this ****.
post #387 of 2042 Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanyoung View Post

So frustrated. So i got Rio in 3D and the it's just terrible. The double vision is incredible. I can overlook some of it but it just keeps on increasing. Night scenes are unwatchable.

I am going to complain to my local Sony branch and ask for an exchange. I really doubt Sony will fix this ****.

Where are you playing Rio?

I had no problems with 3D movies... Just SBS games.
post #388 of 2042 Old 07-15-2011, 02:46 PM

To oldmanyoung or anyone who has used the set for gaming: how is the motion blur? Does using the "clear" setting help eliminate it?

I've been looking for a TV with a scanning backlight/black frame insertion that lets you adjust blur reduction independently of the dejudder/smoothing processing.
post #389 of 2042 Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Where are you playing Rio?

I had no problems with 3D movies... Just SBS games.
From the PS3. The double vision is unbearable, especially when it gets to night.

I am surprised you never had a problem with movies. In fact, if i could play movie content without problems, i would be happy with the set.

What are you settings for 3D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEddie View Post
To oldmanyoung or anyone who has used the set for gaming: how is the motion blur? Does using the "clear" setting help eliminate it?

I've been looking for a TV with a scanning backlight/black frame insertion that lets you adjust blur reduction independently of the dejudder/smoothing processing.
Haven't noticed any. I turn Motionflow/Cinema modes off for gaming as i dislike the random smooth jerks. I also play on the 'Game' scene.
post #390 of 2042 Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 PM

I also use Game Mode which turns off all the post processing, and I can tell you motion blur is NOT a problem. CoD and other FPS look GREAT. It's a big step up from my last TV. Lag is also minimal, because playing on this TV made all my games feel more responsive.

After learning about Clear's black frame insertion, I am curious to try that with gaming. However, it will create lag. Turning on Motionflow causes the sound to reset to match the video, so I know it is creating some lag.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page