The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I thought it was downloading last night when I shut it off!!! The lights on my modem were going crazy. Fingers crossed, will check it out when I get home!

(No updates from phil so I doubt this is related; i think it would take longer to make a patch)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 AM

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL46EX720

The update isn't even listed here yet (where the Sony Forums Mod said we'd get updates). LOLSony.
post #453 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL46EX720

The update isn't even listed here yet (where the Sony Forums Mod said we'd get updates). LOLSony.

I just called Sony Support at 1245 EDT and they don't have any details on PKG3.309AAA in their database yet either. I am sure they will post the details in the coming days.

On another note I connected a Sony BDP-S780 bluray player to my EX720--I didnt notice any substantial improvement with 3D crosstalk on the same 3D movie I used in the PS3.

I did however, play around a bit more with the scene settings on the TV as mentioned by another forum member "wkreply" and noticed an ever so slight improvement when I switched the scene setting to "Cinema 1". Oddly, the Cinema 1 settings displayed a bit less ghosting on the left side of the 3D images but the crosstalk remained the same on the right side of the 3D images ( as compared to Cinema 2 which displayed crosstalk on both sides of the 3D images.)

I don't think I have ever really spent this much time starring at 3D content before...LOL

LB
post #454 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Liked: 10
I have the sony wifi card adaptor - how do I trigger a firmware update?
post #455 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Do you just plug into the network to get updates or can this be done via usb key? (Don't feel like running a cable)
post #456 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovy View Post

I have the sony wifi card adaptor - how do I trigger a firmware update?

Chovy: With the TV connected to the internet--go to the Home Menu on the TV screen and select Settings/Product Support/Software Update. The TV will down load and install the update and in some cases restart itself maybe 3-5 minutes for the whole cycle.

LB
post #457 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

wpgcabby: As long as you are connected to the internet, either wirelessly or using a cable then you can download the update ( see my note above)

LB
post #458 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM

I will test Crysis 2 tonight. That game had the most obvious issue with the crosstalk on the top quarter of the screen, mostly because the 3D effect is so well done (not half assed like black ops).
post #459 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Firstly, congrats to Kevin and everyone that actually made this happen. Good stuff.

The problem is not entirely fixed. Far from it. But it's a push in the right direction. We need to give more feedback to Phil and co so they can improve it further.

Impressions (note: my set does not change to 'Cinema' scene at all):
PC

Rio [watched through a blu-ray drive, HDMI to PC)
Massive, massive improvements. This is actually watchable now! The crosstalk is still there, and a lot of it, but in most cases, it on the background (trees, etc). You won't notice unless you want. But no excuse, though, that needs to be fixed.

Otherwise, the movie was quite watchable. You can feel the TV trying it's best to minimize the crosstalk, hence introduction of additional flicker than what it was before the update. I found the PQ improved as well. Quite considerably in fact (General scene). It was a lot sharper, brighter, vibrant.

Crysis 2
It's the same, unfortunately. Hmm, maybe a little improvement here and there but still a lot of crosstalk, especially against dark backgrounds.

PS3

Uncharted 3 3D Trailer:
Massive improvements here as well. I remember cringing at the scene where the camera zooms aside to feature the crashed chopper in the background with Nathan holding his arms up to block the sun. The chopper was so screwed, I had to look away from it. However, after the update, there is minimal crosstalk. I could actually watch the scene and notice the depth. The footage at the end of the trailer ran perfectly fine as well.

Motorstorm 3:
Reduced but massive crosstalk still present. Unplayable after a while. It batters your eyes. The game's lack of AA or high quality texture doesn't help either.

Deep Sea 3D
Amazing docu with stunning underwater imagery. Crosstalk was reduced, yes, but still present, especially against darker backgrounds. However, I am not sure if it's the placebo effect, but I noticed better 3D on the movie. Images popped more than it did before. But most likely placebo, so disregard.

As you can see, results vary on content. At least Rio is watchable now. Guess I am watching that tonight.
post #460 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM

I just tested Crysis 2 360 and it's the exact same. I also did not get this "locked into Cinema Scene" thing you guys talked about. I tried multiple scenes and it was the same. The top 20% doubles badly. The other 80% looks freakin sweet though... GOD i hope they can fix it!!!

I would not worry because I doubt this update was related to us. It would not arrive this quickly. I still have not heard from Phil so I think they are still working on it. Cross your fingers.
post #461 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM

3D still looks the same here. Would like to know what was the point of this update.
post #462 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

I just tested Crysis 2 360 and it's the exact same. I also did not get this "locked into Cinema Scene" thing you guys talked about. I tried multiple scenes and it was the same. The top 20% doubles badly. The other 80% looks freakin sweet though... GOD i hope they can fix it!!!

I would not worry because I doubt this update was related to us. It would not arrive this quickly. I still have not heard from Phil so I think they are still working on it. Cross your fingers.

Would it be possible for you ask Phil about this update?

Clearly the update was focused on the 3D problem. I have certainly seen improvements in many content. A little changelog would be nice.

Maybe you could direct him to this thread?
post #463 of 2044 Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

I have no firmware update whatsoever...

I just realized... I'm from the Philippines and I bought the set locally. My set displays EX72 and my firmware version is far from the ones posted here. Maybe that's why I'm not experiencing the same problems, I don't know...
post #464 of 2044 Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

I have no firmware update whatsoever...

I just realized... I'm from the Philippines and I bought the set locally. My set displays EX72 and my firmware version is far from the ones posted here. Maybe that's why I'm not experiencing the same problems, I don't know...

I think you are right. The firmware upgrade released yesterday July 21, 2011 PKG3.309AAA may just be for sets sold in North and South America. I found this statement on the Sony eSupport page for the previous ex720 firmware update released on 06/29/2011... "Note: Not all models are sold in all countries. This file is only for use with the products identified and sold in United States, Latin America, or Canada."

LB
post #465 of 2044 Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I think you are right. The firmware upgrade released yesterday July 21, 2011 PKG3.309AAA may just be for sets sold in North and South America. I found this statement on the Sony eSupport page for the previous ex720 firmware update released on 06/29/2011... "Note: Not all models are sold in all countries. This file is only for use with the products identified and sold in United States, Latin America, or Canada."

Maybe it says that because you are looking at the country centric page.

I live in the Middle East, that's PAL/Europe, and I got the firmware update. I get it as EX720, though.
post #466 of 2044 Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 AM

Is there anyway to get these updates via USB? I don't have my tv setup wirelessly and it is nowhere near a ethernet cable.
post #467 of 2044 Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogambi View Post

Is there anyway to get these updates via USB? I don't have my tv setup wirelessly and it is nowhere near a ethernet cable.

I don't see the latest firmware posted on Sony's eSupport site yet. Probably better to call Sony support or live chat with them to ask for their help.

LB
post #468 of 2044 Old 07-23-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

All: I spent several minutes on the phone with Sony support on Friday. While none of the representatives had any information regarding the 3D crosstalk issue they did recommend I use "filters" on my 3D glasses to improve crosstalk/ghosting. Has anyone on this forum had any luck using these filters to improve the crosstalk on their ex720 TV?

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...00%20189737969

LB
post #469 of 2044 Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
All: I spent several minutes on the phone with Sony support on Friday. While none of the representatives had any information regarding the 3D crosstalk issue they did recommend I use "filters" on my 3D glasses to improve crosstalk/ghosting. Has anyone on this forum had any luck using these filters to improve the crosstalk on their ex720 TV?

It doesn't help as far as I can tell. Our thread over at the official forum had users posting their opinion after they used those filters. The only benefit, apparently, is that the 3D effect stays consistent even if you move your head around.

@Kevin - Mind asking Phil for an update? Kind of getting anxious after the update.
post #470 of 2044 Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

I have the filters and they really don't do anything other than make the screen darker.
post #471 of 2044 Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanyoung View Post
It doesn't help as far as I can tell. Our thread over at the official forum had users posting their opinion after they used those filters. The only benefit, apparently, is that the 3D effect stays consistent even if you move your head around.

@Kevin - Mind asking Phil for an update? Kind of getting anxious after the update.
That Phil guy has went off the radar, he was posting to a thread we had on facebook. Everyone on there has asked for updates from him and he hasn't posted once. Sony is trying to scam everyone.
post #472 of 2044 Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

All thanks for your input on the 3D glasses filters. I am to receive the filters in 7-10 days--so I'll give them a shot. However, based upon your comments/experience though, I shouldn't expect any improvement. Bah! Humbug!

I did play around a lot more with the TV settings today and found that in the Cinema 1 "scene" mode, if I crank up the Black Corrector to "High" ( against all recommendations) and set Gama at minimum ( another no-no), not only do a I get a really nice deep "black" these settings seem to limit the crosstalk a wee bit too. (I only use these crazy settings during 3d viewing)

Either way, I am going to schedule a service visit ( as recommended to me by Sony yesterday). Who knows, maybe the tech that comes out might find something he can fix. After all this is a pretty good TV IMO minus the crosstalk ( which is driving me loco)

LB
post #473 of 2044 Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 PM

BTW I have an NX720 now and it seems to have the same exact crosstalk problem. Its funny that the NX720 uses the same exact firmware as the EX720. My guess would be that Sony uses the same motherboard/chipset for 99% of their tv's, so they ALL have the same problems.
post #474 of 2044 Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

BTW I have an NX720 now and it seems to have the same exact crosstalk problem. Its funny that the NX720 uses the same exact firmware as the EX720. My guess would be that Sony uses the same motherboard/chipset for 99% of their tv's, so they ALL have the same problems.

I also own the Sony LX900 ( purchased last year). It does a very good job with 3D--a real pleasure to watch. While not perfect, there is minimal ghosting--but hardly visible unless you are really looking for it. Same with the HX929. Last week I spent about 30 minutes viewing the NX929 ( I had the viewing room all to myself) in my local Sony store--it too has a fantastic 3D display with some incredible blacks.

I guess the mid-level 2011 TVs, EX720 and from what you experienced with the NX720 share the same 3D crosstalk technology/issues. Too bad as these are otherwise very nice sets. Lets hope Sony engineers can give us some level of improvement in a not-too-distant future firmware update.

LB
post #475 of 2044 Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I also own the Sony LX900 ( purchased last year). It does a very good job with 3D--a real pleasure to watch. While not perfect, there is minimal ghosting--but hardly visible unless you are really looking for it. Same with the HX929. Last week I spent about 30 minutes viewing the NX929 ( I had the viewing room all to myself) in my local Sony store--it too has a fantastic 3D display with some incredible blacks.

I guess the mid-level 2011 TVs, EX720 and from what you experienced with the NX720 share the same 3D crosstalk technology/issues. Too bad as these are otherwise very nice sets. Lets hope Sony engineers can give us some level of improvement in a not-too-distant future firmware update.

Mid Level hahahaha, my tv cost $2600...
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KD...1466470&sr=8-1
explain to me how that is mid level.
post #476 of 2044 Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 AM

Something very interesting for me, I have the new firmware and Xpand103 : when setting cinema mode with a BD 3D, it eliminates almost all the crosstalk (I can watch the disney logo without crosstalk, example : raiponce, the lantern scene is better too).
With 3D Internet video from Sony, it depends on videos : with the sports video it doesn't change anything, but with the music video of Avril Lavigne, it works very nice (just look the beginning when it displays Avril Lavigne, without the cinema mode it has crosstalk, after there is no more)
It doesn't work at all with side-by-side videos.

The main PROBLEM is that it blinks a lot, so almost no more crosstalk but a lot of blinks more, can you try to set in cinema mode and see if blinks increase ? if yes, it means that crosstalks are reduced but it doesn't work for any videos (I have Xpand 103 and not Sony glasses). I am curious to know if someone has ever seen that ...
post #477 of 2044 Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
BD2

Slightly off topic question... Momentarily when my 720 switches into 3d mode, the black screen shows MASSIVE clouding as a result of the backlight going into overdrive. I can also detect it just a bit depending on the 3 d content.

In normal 2D modes, when switching screens or changing channels... No clouding.

Normal???
post #478 of 2044 Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD2 View Post

Slightly off topic question... Momentarily when my 720 switches into 3d mode, the black screen shows MASSIVE clouding as a result of the backlight going into overdrive. I can also detect it just a bit depending on the 3 d content.

In normal 2D modes, when switching screens or changing channels... No clouding.

Normal???

yep, my nx720 has zero clouding on any setting.
post #479 of 2044 Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 PM
BD2

Quote:

yep, my nx720 has zero clouding on any setting.

Could the NX because of the opticontrast panel suppress it? It happens on my EX only when switching into 3D... Possibly a settings issue?
post #480 of 2044 Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mid Level hahahaha, my tv cost $2600...
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KD...1466470&sr=8-1
explain to me how that is mid level.

My bad. You are correct. Your NX720 falls into the "Best" category of Sony's "Good, Better, Best" ratings. I should not have included your set into the "better" or mid level.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...QualityTabData

LB
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page