Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor777 View Post

i just received my 60ex720 yesterday and i immediately tested 3d given the crosstalk issues going around. I tested avatar, rio, resident evil afterlife, for movies and super stardust hd and a 3d teaser video for uncharted 3 on the ps3. I could not find a single trace of crosstalk in any material.

My tv came with the 309 firmware installed already. I will try wipeout hd tonight and couple other 3d movies. But so far i didn't notice any issues with 3d.

Hype!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 01:17 PM

@bitterkevin - Rio is SBS. I will test some other SBS material tonight. I do have to point out that I did not watch the entire length of the movies I tested. I just jumped around randomly.

@oldmanyoung - 3D effect differs movie to movie. Avatar and Rio was just OK. I didn't perceive much depth or pop from these. Resident evil was excellent though. It's wierd cuz when I look at the TV w/o my glasses, I can't really see double images. Is it because it's in RealD?

I'll do some more testing tonight and maybe watch an entire movie.

Are there specific movies/scenes that you guys want me to look at? If you guys list some of the worst I'll see if I can get the material and test.
post #633 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:

@bitterkevin - Rio is SBS. I will test some other SBS material tonight. I do have to point out that I did not watch the entire length of the movies I tested. I just jumped around randomly.

@oldmanyoung - 3D effect differs movie to movie. Avatar and Rio was just OK. I didn't perceive much depth or pop from these. Resident evil was excellent though. It's wierd cuz when I look at the TV w/o my glasses, I can't really see double images. Is it because it's in RealD?

Are there specific movies/scenes that you guys want me to look at? If you guys list some of the worst I'll see if I can get the material and test.

SBS content and dark scenes should pretty much show you double images.

I am so jealous of you right now! I want to play Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 in 3D!
post #634 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Where do you find what firmware version your tv has?

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
post #635 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFREAK View Post

Where do you find what firmware version your tv has?

Home button --> Settings --> software update or support or something like that
post #636 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

Thor- are any of those Side by Side 3D sources? I find it hard to believe you magically got a better TV than us. Look at the top 25% of the screen.

Regarding Phil, he is not the one to blame for this, since he doesn't even have to keep me updated. He is just relaying what he is being told. So it is quite likely that if the problem isn't fixable, they wouldn't even tell him. Did you guys see my post about cross-game chat in the PS3? For years they said "it's coming!" and then they just finally admitted it wasn't possible. It's not like they just discovered it wasn't possible...

Super Stardust HD and a 3D teaser video for Uncharted 3 looked like PURE CRAP on my ex720 and they also do on my nx720. I really think this person either got one special TV or he is blind...
post #637 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Watch Alice or get any of the Motorstorm 3D demos. Motorstorm, the entire top part of the TV is extremely doubled.
post #638 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

Super Stardust HD and a 3D teaser video for Uncharted 3 looked like PURE CRAP on my ex720 and they also do on my nx720. I really think this person either got one special TV or he is blind...

I don't appreciate your post...If my TV works as intended it doesn't mean it's "special", it just means that it's not defective. I'm just trying to help people in this thread by offering my own experiences.....
post #639 of 2042 Old 08-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Hey all... I been complaining big time about the 3d as well on my 55ex720.. its horrible on most things, directv signal,sbs movies, you name it. I haven't tested real 3d stuff besides on directv as I have no blu ray player atm. I have also posted many times on the sony forum and I hope that they fix something soon with it.
post #640 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 05:32 AM

Can't seem to find the current firmware version my 720 is running.....where do you find it?

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
post #641 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Can't seem to find the current firmware version my 720 is running.....where do you find it?

Home -> settings -> product support -> system information: software version
post #642 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 AM

Did some more testing last night. This time I switched between the different 3D settings (-2, -1, 0, +1, +2) during testing. I had left this setting at 0 (default) during my 1st day of testing. This had the least amount of 3D effect hence my impression that Rio and Avatar did not have depth or pop. After I played around with the settings the 3D effect is much more pronounced. I retested all the material and some new ones at -1, 0, and +1 still was not able to see any crosstalk.

At -2 and +2, however, I started noticing slight crosstalk. I immediately noticed the double images of 3D menu along its right edge. But it seems it's not the same crosstalk you guys are talking about because I see it across the entire screen. I was sitting about 5-6 feet away when I first played with the settings. It's worse at that close distance but if I watch from my normal viewing position, which is 11 feet away directly in front of the TV, it's noticeable but not that big a deal. It's definitely distracting, but not unwatchable.

Pretty much all materials I tested had the same results. No crosstalk at ±1 range, noticible crosstalk at ±2. I did notice stronger crosstalk on Alice during certain scenes. Maybe the 3D just wasn't done right when it was produced? I also tested Shrek 4, Wipeout HD (PS3), and Killzone 3 SP demo (PS3).

I like the "+" settings as it makes the foreground have more "pop". The "-" settings create more depth but keeps the foreground inside the TV. I had a much better 3D experience with Avatar and Rio at +1.

My TV sits on a low stand maybe 1.5 to 2 feet tall. When I sit on my couch my eye level is just slightly above the vertical midpoint, almost dead center (looking down very very slightly).

What 3D settings are you guys using and where's your TV in relation to your viewing position?

post #643 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to make this post short, but will elaborate further.

Like I said before, I'm with thor. I don't see crosstalk on my set. Given that I watch without radically altering the 3D settings, all movies have been good except SBS content. I have no problem with non SBS movies.
post #644 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

I'm going to make this post short, but will elaborate further.

Like I said before, I'm with thor. I don't see crosstalk on my set. Given that I watch without radically altering the 3D settings, all movies have been good except SBS content. I have no problem with non SBS movies.

Is your SBS content from PC or DirecTV/cablebox? I don't have any 3D channels for cable so all my content is from PC video files, BD, and PS3 games.
post #645 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbnt View Post

Home -> settings -> product support -> system information: software version

Nope...no system information option there?

post #646 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Nope...no system information option there?

If you select "Contact Sony", the bottom of the screen will show your model no., serial no. and software version
post #647 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I don't appreciate your post...If my TV works as intended it doesn't mean it's "special", it just means that it's not defective. I'm just trying to help people in this thread by offering my own experiences.....

You sure? 99% of the people here say they have a ton of crosstalk.... I am on my 3rd TV. I had 2 ex720s and 1 nx720 and all 3 look identical in 3D. You are the only person in this thread that say they have no crosstalk on ALL content unless you do +2.
post #648 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones? I'm not sure why you and others are seeing what you're seeing but at least for CaliCool and me it's a good experience. Maybe the folks who experience bad crosstalk can post their equipment setup and viewing environment to see if there's something in common. Just a thought.
post #649 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones? I'm not sure why you and others are seeing what you're seeing but at least for CaliCool and me it's a good experience. Maybe the people see bad crosstalk can post their equipment setup and viewing environment to see if there's something in common. Just a thought.

CaliCool says SBS content looks like crap, you say it doesn't...

I have a
55NX720
PS3 Slim
Panasonic dmp-bdt21
Directv
Sony STRDH820

All of these devices are hooked up with 1.4 hdmi cables. I currently have all my devices running through the receiver but I have tried each device separately to see if it affects the 3D, which it doesn't.
post #650 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Liked: 17
I have fiddled with 3D Depth and it just moves the crosstalk from the top to the bottom. For me, using Crysis 2 or CoD Blops on Xbox 360 produces noticeable crosstalk in the top 25% of the screen. I noticed all Side By Side content from 360, as well as Top & Bottom, does this. I got similar issues from SBS on my FIOS Motorola Cable Box.

Frame Pack content, from Sony's Qriocity store, looked better. I did not see much crosstalk there.

Thor, try an FPS game in 3D, and look for a pole or something vertical. You should see it split into a Y shape at the top 25%. If you do not, then you have The One.
post #651 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Thor, try an FPS game in 3D, and look for a pole or something vertical. You should see it split into a Y shape at the top 25%. If you do not, then you have The One.

I can try FPSs on my PC with 3DTV Play (Nvidia) tonight. I don't play FPSs on PS3 as I suck with the gamepad. I did d/l Killzone 3 demo and I'll test that tonight as well.
post #652 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy View Post

If you select "Contact Sony", the bottom of the screen will show your model no., serial no. and software version

Thanks grampy I'll give that a look-see.

As far as x-talk on mine Oh ya it sux hard.LOL
I only do 3d movies so I can't comment on the other things but man
Alice and Sanctum look pretty bad. The same movies look much better on the Samsung D8000 my buddy has. I was hoping a "shutter" speed update for the glasses would help but so far I havent heard ANYTHING from Sony.

It really pisses me off because I bought the freakin tv after seeing that it had a 240hz refresh rate on 3 different sites including the official Sony site (they have since changed it). I knew going in that I wanted a 240hz tv and they got me anyway through clever marketing ie:MOTIONFLOW 240 WTF! plus originally listing it as a 240hz refresh rate tv.......NOT!

Setup:
Sony KDL-55EX720
Sony BDP-S580
Onkyo-TX-SR608
Cerwin-Vega AR-15 Fronts
Velodyne 1500 Sub (can knock house off foundation) LOL
Paradigm Rears
Infinity Center

Are any of you folks getting the "3Dexperience" widget thingy from Sony yet? Mine says "coming soon".

post #653 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
Hi guys. Im from Argentina and I have an EX725 (this is the model number for Latin America) and I have the same issue that everyone else here except for this new guy with THE ONE as somebody call it.

Im really pissed off with Sony because we payed for a 3D Tv and we only get a good quality 2D tv.

Is my first and LAST sony I think.

The technicall support here doesn´t exist. They want me to take my tv to service so they can research with it because "they don´t have reports about this crosstalk problem".

I write to ask this new guy with a MIRACLE TV that works fine to post some photos or videos of the TV and tell us what firmware his tv has. And all the info because I have crosstalk with 0 settings. With +1 is like im drunk with the double vision and with +2 is like viewing 2 differnt movies. I don´t understand how he can put +1 without crosstalk.

And also CAN YOU TRY 3dTVPLAY ? the only way that I can play is setting the games on 5% of deep and the 3D effect is practically unnoticeable.

Thanks to Kevin for the info from the guy in Sony. I hope to see more soon.
Sorry about my english.
post #654 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks grampy I'll give that a look-see.

As far as x-talk on mine Oh ya it sux hard.LOL
I only do 3d movies so I can't comment on the other things but man
Alice and Sanctum look pretty bad. The same movies look much better on the Samsung D8000 my buddy has. I was hoping a "shutter" speed update for the glasses would help but so far I havent heard ANYTHING from Sony.

It really pisses me off because I bought the freakin tv after seeing that it had a 240hz refresh rate on 3 different sites including the official Sony site (they have since changed it). I knew going in that I wanted a 240hz tv and they got me anyway through clever marketing ie:MOTIONFLOW 240 WTF! plus originally listing it as a 240hz refresh rate tv.......NOT!

Setup:
Sony KDL-55EX720
Sony BDP-S580
Onkyo-TX-SR608
Cerwin-Vega AR-15 Fronts
Velodyne 1500 Sub (can knock house off foundation) LOL
Paradigm Rears
Infinity Center

Are any of you folks getting the "3Dexperience" widget thingy from Sony yet? Mine says "coming soon".

I already have that on my nx720, ive had it for almost a month...
post #655 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolnyc View Post

I write to ask this new guy with a MIRACLE TV that works fine to post some photos or videos of the TV and tell us what firmware his tv has. And all the info because I have crosstalk with 0 settings. With +1 is like im drunk with the double vision and with +2 is like viewing 2 differnt movies. I don´t understand how he can put +1 without crosstalk.

And also CAN YOU TRY 3dTVPLAY ? the only way that I can play is setting the games on 5% of deep and the 3D effect is practically unnoticeable.

Thanks to Kevin for the info from the guy in Sony. I hope to see more soon.
Sorry about my english.

I'll try to capture a pic with +2 and -2 settings on. Maybe you guys can also post pics of your 3D so we can compare how far the 2 images are spaced apart, as I think the bad crosstalk is resulting from the 2 images being too far from each other. Take a pic with the 3D menu up, the right edge of the menu exhibits the crosstalk clearly and since it should be relatively comparable across all TV sizes, it's better than comparing 2 different pics from 2 different sources.

Regarding firmware, I've already stated in an earlier post that my TV came with 309.

I'll test 3DTV Play tonight and see if there's any difference.

FWIW, I did not connect my TV to the internet yet. Couldn't get the TV to pickup a DHCP address. Haven't tried static IP yet. I'm almost afraid to try as I think I might break something on my "the one" TV lol
post #656 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 PM

Interpol, please post here:

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9542

The more we get, the better.

Thor gave me an idea... my TV is connected to the internet thru the ethernet port... so I may try it without it connected. It's a slim hope but hope nonetheless. Otherwise, I have tried every setting imaginable and NOTHING affects the crosstalk. When I first got the TV, I did not really notice the problem, but it became painful to play Crysis and Black Ops over time. Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it, and it definitely hurts your brain.
post #657 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Hey Thor, what glasses are you using?? I have the Sony 250s. I ask because you say we should take a picture, and without the glasses, I don't think you can see the crosstalk problem. How are we supposed to take a picture?
post #658 of 2042 Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Hey Thor, what glasses are you using?? I have the Sony 250s. I ask because you say we should take a picture, and without the glasses, I don't think you can see the crosstalk problem. How are we supposed to take a picture?

I'm using a pair of BR250s I bought from Bestbuy. I have 4 more pairs arriving tomorrow (Narnia bundle comes with additional 2 free pairs at Sony online store) and will test with those as well. Since we are just measuring the distance, taking a picture of the TV with the overlapping images should be good enough. If my theory is correct, you'll see the 2 images move in relation to one another when you change the 3D depth setting even if you don't have glasses on. I'll confirm this when I get home.
post #659 of 2042 Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 AM

Yeah don't understand why your set is fine thor... as everything I have watched has some MAJOR crosstalk issues. Directv content,SBS, normal 3d viewing.. even sony 3d videos on the bravia internet service. I have only seen maybe 10-15 shows that was unbearable to watch. I have maybe seen 4-5 shows that were very nice and maybe 10-15 shows that were noticeable but watchable still. I am plugged in by eithernet as well.. but don't see how this could cause any problems and I am using BR100 glasses, with the polarizing filters which does fix the head tilt going out of 3d problem. Also I changed the depth many times and its best at zero.. for me it either throws off the foreground even more or the background even more than it already is. Also I am using 309AAA as well.. and still got major issues. Also for the SBS I use my Western Digital media player. Who knows maybe since you just bought it and it came with newest firmware.. maybe they fixed the issue on your set. Who knows lol But throw out some ideas of how you got it hooked up and such and we might run into the problem.
@thor hit display on your tv is it running in 1080i as well when your viewing this 3d content?
Also thor are you using the IR built in the tv or a seperate one? Cause I am using the one in the tv.

Also everyone you can go here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291751 download the video and run it on your computer through your tv or download the picture on a thumbdrive and run it on the tv
It's a good tester and for me my result is
Left eye open/right closed -> top half screen smaller visible number -> 1
Left eye open/right closed -> bottom half screen smaller visible number -> 7 (I can barely make out even the 2 so I am giving it a little room)
Right eye open/left closed -> top half screen smaller visible number -> 1
Right eye open/left closed -> bottom half screen smaller visible number -> 1
On this test you should see nothing on the bottom half when closing left eye or nothing on top half closing right eye... if you see numbers then you have crosstalk in some fashion and mine is horrible.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3...7aug260459.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/691...6aug260455.jpg
these are 2 pics from "Haunted Castle 3d" which you can clearly see ghosting on second pic its on the top half..mainly through this whole movie it's on the top half
and the first pic is when the robots fly at the screen one of the arms or legs are double as soon as it gets close.. also the robot itself is double a bit
Make sure to look at these pics fullscreen.. you might have to right click and save it on desktop and then open it full screen on your tv or through a thumbdrive.
post #660 of 2042 Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yup.. Tested SBS, all crap... Its actually nauseating.

But frame packing is OK. Using the 2011 glasses.

If anything, I stopped looking for a replacement. My problem with the dse is still there. But as long's 3d is fine, im fine.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page