Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2047 Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trehutch View Post

Picked one of the 55EX720 for $929 at Sears with a price match of Frys current ad. What are the settings people like on the set. It will be in a fairly bright room with big bay wndows.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new set! You can check the first post for settings gathered from various professional websites.

In your case (fairly bright room), I suggest having a Backlight not less than 5. The brightness of the room will affect PQ but unless you are one of the purists it shouldn't bother you. (The way it bothers me, LOL)

An advantage of having a fairly bright room is that the black levels will not make you tear your hair out. Usually, dark rooms reveal the ugly weaknesses of LCD/LED TVs. (Clouding, Flashlighting spots)

I suggest follow some of the settings from the first post but take note of the Backlight. When I was first watching TV I wanted the POP, the TEXTURE, the SHARPNESS. Now, I want it natural as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2047 Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

If you live in the US, getting the Internet Service is a plus. Lots of free content, especially 3D under Internet Services.

I'm betting that you have your router far away from the TV because you are considering the adapter? Otherwise just connect it to your ethernet port like I did.

The adapter is pretty expensive... and doesn't work on computers UNLESS you do a work-around. If you are interested I'll guide you. For something that expensive I made sure I squeezed everything out of it. It may not be used on my TV 24/7 but my brother and dad uses it as a WiFi adapter whenever they are at the office.

Yeah i would have to run the ethernet cable across two rooms. Otherwise I have to go up the wall in the attic, across and down the wall to the tv unit. I guess I can go this route.

Thanks for your help.
post #723 of 2047 Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goceltics34 View Post

Yeah i would have to run the ethernet cable across two rooms. Otherwise I have to go up the wall in the attic, across and down the wall to the tv unit. I guess I can go this route.

Thanks for your help.

Yup... No need for the extra bucks if you can run your LAN through the attic. That would be a better choice, and better connectivity too!

Wireless Fidelity (WiFi) connection can be really inconsistent at times. All my devices are networked through LAN cables, only the mobile phones are on wireless mode.

I don't reap the benefits of this Internet TV as I'm from the Philippines, so I really didn't see the need to connect my TV to the Internet other than downloading the firmware upgrade.

They sell EX 720 with the wireless adapter here though, so I have it.
post #724 of 2047 Old 09-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Where are you guys finding these prices on the 55??? Under 1000??? Best prices I've found online are around 1400-1500.
post #725 of 2047 Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrazer View Post
Where are you guys finding these prices on the 55??? Under 1000??? Best prices I've found online are around 1400-1500.
I'm puzzled too. I bought my 46 @ $2,906 here in our country! I'm amazed at the prices over there... LOL!
post #726 of 2047 Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trehutch View Post

Picked one of the 55EX720 for $929 at Sears with a price match of Frys current ad. What are the settings people like on the set. It will be in a fairly bright room with big bay wndows.

Thanks!

It can't be the 55ex720

I just checked both Sears and Frys.
It's $2399 at Frys and $1699 at Sears on sale. I paid $1799 two months ago.
Maybe $929 for a refurb????

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
post #727 of 2047 Old 09-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Same 3d problems as you all...I'm not enjoying gaming at all and while movies are watchable the crosstalk is very distracting. I've already posted at sony's support forum. I also have horrible DSE on my set - it is bad enough to be distracting during any panning of any content (I have both vertical and horizontal "dirty bars").

Have there still not been any updates from Sony? I see that the set has a 4.5 average rating on amazon, I wonder if Sony continues not addressing these issues due to public perception of these TVs being largely positive. I know I am going to start posting reviews where I can if we do not hear anything soon.
post #728 of 2047 Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhashman93 View Post
Same 3d problems as you all...I'm not enjoying gaming at all and while movies are watchable the crosstalk is very distracting. I've already posted at sony's support forum.

Have there still not been any updates from Sony? I see that the set has a 4.5 average rating on amazon, I wonder if Sony continues not addressing these issues due to public perception of these TVs being largely positive. I know I am going to start posting reviews where I can if we do not hear anything soon.
NO updates to help with X-TALK yet...a bunch of us are hoping an adjustment in the shutter speed for the glasses may help. Keep posting!

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9542

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
post #729 of 2047 Old 09-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Crosstalk test photo of HX929 with EX720 and others:

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/produi...HX920_3dlg.jpg[/quote]

Only the "L" should be visable?

post #730 of 2047 Old 09-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFREAK View Post
Crosstalk test photo of HX929 with EX720 and others:

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/produi...HX920_3dlg.jpg
Only the "L" should be visable?[/quote]
if your right then wow
post #731 of 2047 Old 09-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFREAK View Post

It can't be the 55ex720

I just checked both Sears and Frys.
It's $2399 at Frys and $1699 at Sears on sale. I paid $1799 two months ago.
Maybe $929 for a refurb????

The price is on their weekly ad that was posted on their website, it was for 1 day only i believe and in store only, no shipping. I want to pick it up but my damn 42" Vizio LCD is still humming along so I can't justify getting another TV for no reason.
post #732 of 2047 Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

The price is on their weekly ad that was posted on their website, it was for 1 day only i believe and in store only, no shipping. I want to pick it up but my damn 42" Vizio LCD is still humming along so I can't justify getting another TV for no reason.

LOL! It's hard to justify getting another TV... unless it's your own money.

Believe me I had a hard time upgrading. My dad agreed to split it up! (I'm just a kid, you know...!)

My TV is now getting worse. I'm guess I'm lucky with the cross-talk (frame packing) but the static noise I see when panning cameras are really visible. Sometimes on a blank display (especially low-res) against blue, the black streaks are visible.
post #733 of 2047 Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys... A little help!

I'm done with my audio project, my set-up is running nicely. The only problem now is the video. I have no complaints with regards to the PQ but what do you think will be the solution with my black level problem?

My black level's fine. Not inky black, but fine-gray-black for me. The only problem is most of my viewers (girlfriend, brother, father) wants the lights off. I know I've listed a lot of settings here. In fact, I'm the one who's suggesting to people but I'm nowhere near Mr. Closest to the Natural Color Temp or something like that.

Options...

Setting ACE ON will deviate from the natural... makes some of the picture too pale.

Setting Light Sensor ON severely darkens the screen.

Watching with the lights on... NO PROBLEM.

But when it's movie night, the clouding irritates me. Can someone recommend good settings with ACE on or something?

Some Sonyisque Crap:

Important Information About Your Sony® BRAVIA™ Television!

Posted: 01/12/2007

The Sony BRAVIA line of flat-panel LCD televisions reflects our commitment to the highest picture quality standards. The KDL-40XBR2/3 and KDL-46XBR2/3 series televisions have received exceptionally high ratings for picture performance from many well respected home theater sources, including the Editor’s Choice Award from CNET™ and critics at Sound & Vision Magazine.

To achieve this high level of performance and picture clarity, Sony utilizes a very bright backlight setting. This helps deliver the brightest picture possible, as well as exceptional picture clarity even in the darkest image sources.

However, the setting, under certain dark viewing conditions, especially blank screens with no video source, may cause the screens on some of these televisions to exhibit slightly uneven uniformity. This condition is not usually visible under typical viewing conditions, such as watching movies or television programming, and generally should not affect your viewing experience.

Should you find that this condition does affect your viewing enjoyment; there are a few settings that you can make to minimize this condition:

Setup Menu --> Light Sensor: ON
Setup Menu --> Power Saving: Low or High
Picture Menu --> Reduce the Backlight Level (Factory Setting: 10)
A combination of the above changes may be applied as necessary.

If your television still does not meet with your approval after these setting adjustments, Sony Electronics will provide a Self Service Software Update that will further minimize the condition. Upon request, Sony will ship this update with directions directly to you when it becomes available in mid-February.

All terms of your Sony limited warranty continue to apply. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, and we continue to stand behind our product and our loyal customers.
post #734 of 2047 Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Liked: 17
Cali, dude, that stuff is from 2007
post #735 of 2047 Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

Cali, dude, that stuff is from 2007

I know... it's just that... clouding has been existent in 5 years now... and the only thing most manufacturers can do is set the picture to not so good settings in order to hide the clouding.

Kev, do you watch with lights on or off?
post #736 of 2047 Old 09-07-2011, 02:03 AM

I never really notice clouding unless I really hunt for it... Only on pure black screens in a dark room. It's barely noticable on my set.
Also how I have my net hooked up is I bought a 50 dollar Dlink wireless AP all it does is act like a hub for my wireless in the living room. So I just have lan lines coming from the back of the wireless ap which is setting right in front of the tv to my tv and my wd media player. It's very nice.
post #737 of 2047 Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM

You're only as fast as your slowest link. You will still get better speeds wired to your main router.
post #738 of 2047 Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Hey all,

This is my first post on these boards so I felt a hi was in order. I just got the Sony Ex720 today, and at first was very disappointed with the picture. I then adjusted the settings based on what some users submitted but I feel that the colors aren't as dynamic as I would like. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to enahcne the "vividness" of the colors?
post #739 of 2047 Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Hello bdeiso

Most electronic equipment takes a while too break in, be patient,, try the HD setting on the front page of this forum thread,, they work for me, also you can toggle the back light settings i set mine to five for daytime and 2 for nighttime works for me, some put power saving on low and back light 5 this works for them ,,hope this helps
post #740 of 2047 Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Read this article and try some of the advice.

If there's one question I get asked usually once a week - usually more - it's "what are the best settings for my TV". It's true that to most users, the amount of settings offered on your typical LCD or PDP TV can be overwhelming, and the fact that the said TVs are configured to look horrible when running with their default settings doesn't help at all. I often hear of people who spend £1000 or more on a new HDTV, then turn it on and get the fright of their lives.

The "best settings" depend on your lighting conditions, equipment, how old your TV is... all sorts of stuff. So, although you can improve your picture by copying someone else's settings off of the internet, this will NOT optimise your TV's performance.
http://www.lyris-lite.net/quick_and_dirty_tv_setup.html
post #741 of 2047 Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 AM

I love my settings and they are as follows:

Scene Select: choose general
Eco:everything off but presence sensor and auto shut-off

picture settings:
setting memory:common

picture mode : standard

backlight : 7
picture : 95
brightness :45 (if you raise this up drop backlight) always best to have it kinda dark

Color : 60

hue: 0

color temp : warm2

sharpness :20 (adjust how you like best)

reductions : off

motionflow : off

cinemotion :auto1 or auto2

Advance settings:

black corrector/adv.contrast enhancer: low
gamma:+1
auto light limiter off
clear white/livecolor/detail enhancer/edge enhancer: low
white balance I left alone

These aren't professional but with these it gives a nice bright pretty picture.
post #742 of 2047 Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeiso View Post
Hey all,

This is my first post on these boards so I felt a hi was in order. I just got the Sony Ex720 today, and at first was very disappointed with the picture. I then adjusted the settings based on what some users submitted but I feel that the colors aren't as dynamic as I would like. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to enahcne the "vividness" of the colors?
First of all, hi, and welcome to the owner's thread!

With regards to the picture, what you will find here (contributed by the users OR professional sites) will often underwhelm you. Being a new LCD/LED user, you will feel that you are missing the POP or the VIVIDNESS of the color. Especially if you see the display in various retail stores, they really pump the settings that will give the most eye candy. They even, laughably, calibrate the more expensive sets with more colors/pop to point out to consumers the difference of their relied selling specs such as Dynamic Contrast Ratio.

Don't fret though. If you like the bright and pop colors we can put it in layman's term for you. What you will see here (the settings) are aimed towards the more "natural" setting or as some would call "how the picture is really meant to be viewed". If you want the eye candy you can skim through the TV presets. Vivid with modification is the best, by default Vivid has a high backlight... in fact, everything's HIGH in Vivid.

Once breaking in the TV you will know what you like. If you come here after 2 months complaining of eye strains then we would gladly help you.
post #743 of 2047 Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera1222 View Post
I love my settings and they are as follows:

Scene Select: choose general
Eco:everything off but presence sensor and auto shut-off

picture settings:
setting memory:common

picture mode : standard

backlight : 7
picture : 95
brightness :45 (if you raise this up drop backlight) always best to have it kinda dark

Color : 60

hue: 0

color temp : warm2

sharpness :20 (adjust how you like best)

reductions : off

motionflow : off

cinemotion :auto1 or auto2

Advance settings:

black corrector/adv.contrast enhancer: low
gamma:+1
auto light limiter off
clear white/livecolor/detail enhancer/edge enhancer: low
white balance I left alone

These aren't professional but with these it gives a nice bright pretty picture.
It does give a bright picture and I'd recommend this setting to anyone who wants something with a pop but is somehow leaning towards the natural.
post #744 of 2047 Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Liked: 17
Cali, I watch at night with the lights on but dimmed a lot. Not pitch black tho. In this setting the TV looks great. With Power Saver on Low the lower corner spotlights are visible against black but not annoying (with power saver off they are too prominent). There is no other clouding or problems with the black level on my TV. I do have a vertical bar of some discoloration that is only visible against solid colored, very lightly blue shaded backgrounds- its weird. You can see it on the No Input screen and in the sky in Red Dead Redemption, but not much else.

I can imagine that in a pitchblack room, this TV might not look so great. The spotlights would probably be worse and the DSE would be more apparent (i can't really see the DSE anymore). All flaws would be worse if the TV is the only light source.
post #745 of 2047 Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Hi guys,

Again one of the mysteries of the EX720.

While most of the users are higly satisfied with 2D pic, you can definitely find a couple of people
who are disappointed by the picture, especially at first start up (I dont't even speak about the 3D squirks).

I can easily imagine the light sensor being responsible for a good part, as the relatively wrong TV preset settings.
But above, I can sometimes read about "washed out colors". As already told, I myself also had this feeling at first
sart up. Nevertheless, this sense has now disappeared and I even find the EX720 to be a colorful set (not as a Samsung,
we know that Sony render tends to be more natural, which I like).

I first thought that I got used with time to color rendition of the 720. But after spending some time comparing the set to
others in store (Samsungs, LGs, and also EX710 and EX500), I came to the conclusion that this "washed out color" sense
was untrue.

Anyway surprisingly, I also got the feeling that all EX720 I tweaked didn't provide the same level of performance.
So definitely, there must be a panel lotery on the set (as for Ex710 and EX500). One other thing is that the set doesn't fare
in bright environments, and give its best in relatively darks rooms.

And to answer to your question Cali, I never watch TV in a completely dark room. I always keep an ambiant light, as it is
more confortable for my eyes, and for the set (good black levels, no apparent clouding).

Here is a link where EX720 is compared to Sammy's D6500.
http://translate.google.com/translat...d6000-d6100%2F
If the comparison by itself doesn't matter so much, pictures are interesting, and show that Ex720 can be set to a vivid configuration.
post #746 of 2047 Old 09-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Guys, if you chose between:

Samsung D7000 and Sony EX720 which one would you chose and why?

I'm worried about clouding on D7000. Otherwise it is a nobrainer for me.
post #747 of 2047 Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Liked: 13
You cant compared the D7000 to the EX720, they are in completely different classes. The HX729 compares more to the D7000.
post #748 of 2047 Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 PM

Just got my ex720 today from Sony. Clouding issues seems better however I have yet to tweak settings. Base is extremely wobbly. The metal brushed bar of my 710 is not used on the ex720. Oddly enough I liked the contrast that bar gave the tv. Build date is May 2011. You recent buyers can you please provide your build dates. Any of you having problems with this particular build month? How do I enter the ex720 service menu. The 710 way dont seem to work for me. I may take off the whole back panel to see who built this panel. Ill be buying 3d glasses soon, and ill see where it stands.
post #749 of 2047 Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 AM

Thanks calicool.. I do love the settings.. I am sure I will tweak it a bit more when I have the time.. but for now it works. it's not too bright and not too dark.. it's just right... I tried a few others on here and the just seem to bland for me... For me I think most TV settings are all personal preference. I am sure if you got it professionally done, you will prob end up changing some things lol. Also has to do with lighting. But so far the settings do well.. I might drop the blacklight just a bit. The advance settings set to low or off.. can't really tell much of a difference. If I don't hear something about this 3d soon, I am gonna call sony and complain I am tired of waiting and not hearing anything.
post #750 of 2047 Old 09-09-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

You cant compared the D7000 to the EX720, they are in completely different classes. The HX729 compares more to the D7000.

Yeah In Finland the price of 55D7000 is the same as 55EX720 That is why I'm comparing
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page