The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2047 Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Cool! I use a halogen torch lamp in the corner behind the TV, and it provides nice indirect lighting to the TV isn't the only light source. I usually turn it way down so I get a nice warm ambient light reflected off the walls/ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2047 Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Liked: 12
what a great news you gave us KEVIN.

Are you sure that NO CROSSTALK ? or minimun?

please do all the tests and tell us.

On a few movies I also havenĀ“s seen too much crosstalk lately. Maybe they are improving the way they film or encode 3d movies and games
post #813 of 2047 Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Liked: 10
Regarding the color temperature I'm getting used to Warm 2. However the white balance has to be changed absolutely. Leaving it to the default setting makes it unbearable.

Here's mine:

R-Gain: -4
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: -2
B-Bias: -2

Using Cnet's settings leave the white a little too warm for my liking, so I brought down the red gain a little bit more. The bias settings affect the black temp, and it does give it a deeper black level with these settings.

Edit: Just tested out Gears 3...and you're right bitterkevin. No visible crosstalk...I'm impressed!!!
post #814 of 2047 Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post

Regarding the color temperature I'm getting used to Warm 2. However the white balance has to be changed absolutely. Leaving it to the default setting makes it unbearable.

Here's mine:

R-Gain: -4
G-Gain: 0

Using Cnet's settings leave the white a little too warm for my liking, so I brought down the red gain a little bit more. The bias settings affect the black temp, and it does give it a deeper black level with these settings.

Edit: Just tested out Gears 3...and you're right bitterkevin. No visible crosstalk...I'm impressed!!!

Be sure to put Color at more than 53 if you are using CNET's WB settings.

I've also tried the others WB, some are too blue, etc.

Now I'm excited to buy new 3D games because of Kevin's report. I actually played Crysis 2 on 2D only... I hope the new NBA game will kick ass in 3D.
post #815 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question...when looking at some live shows like the anchor guys on sport center or even watching Simon Cowell on the x factor last night, there faces look kind of unnaturally "pasty"?...has anyone noticed that ?...but the news people on the 6 o'clock news look fine. I'm thinking its the lighting being used in the studios ?...or my settings are off ?

Think before you speak....
post #816 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM

Just got my KDL40-EX720, and noticed that the firmware was 2.something and that the most recent firmware available on the web site was 3.somthing.

So tried updating directly through the TV and my LAN connection but it says there is no new firmware available.

Tried doing the direct download to USB device -- used a just-bought Sony Microvault just to be sure of compatibility -- but got an error message that it couldn't use that USB device to do the update.

Anyone else having this problem, or ideas about how to make the update work?

Thanks in advance.
post #817 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

I am extremely pleased and freaking SHOCKED to report that Gears 3 does NOT have the crosstalk issue!!! So it really must be a problem related to encoding of the source content. It is a Side by Side signal, so you must manually change it, but it does not look like **** at the top of the screen like Crysis 2 and Black Ops do. I suppose I should check those 2 games again to see if it's a fix on Sony's end, or Gears' signal.

Thanks for the update, this pushed me over the edge and I ordered 2 sets of glasses last night GOW3 FTW!
post #818 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 PM

I use Ideal-Lume Standard from CinemaQuest for bias lighting as it provides the correct whiteness:

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lumesb.htm

@bitterkeven - Looks like my TV is not "the one" never believed it was, hehe glad that you're finally able to experience xtalk-free 3D

btw, just received the polarizer filters from Sony last night, and they do not help with xtalk....worse yet, they introduce double vision as the filter somehow doesn't lie against the lens perfectly, causing double vision mostly when text is on the screen. Dunno if it's the lens or just me not installing it correctly. It does keep 3D when my head's tilted though, got them mainly for my wife as she complains that she's not able to watch 3D while lying down on the couch
post #819 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcabby View Post

Thanks for the update, this pushed me over the edge and I ordered 2 sets of glasses last night GOW3 FTW!

Where did you get your glasses? I ask because you can get 4 pairs of BR250s from Sony Store online for $159.99 + Tax. It's a sale where you buy the Narnia 3D bundle which comes with 2 pairs and they throw in 2 more pairs.

so:

Narnia 3D BD = $20-$30 (est.)
4 pairs of glasses = 130-140 / 4 = $32.50-$35 each

amazon lists them for $49 each right now
post #820 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM

I got mine from Sonystyle.ca

Will need to check to see if that bundle is available in Canada!

Not available and I see they go for under $70 on ebay hate getting ripped off in Canada!
post #821 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

Be sure to put Color at more than 53 if you are using CNET's WB settings.

I've also tried the others WB, some are too blue, etc.

Now I'm excited to buy new 3D games because of Kevin's report. I actually played Crysis 2 on 2D only... I hope the new NBA game will kick ass in 3D.

I calibrated my set with both the DVE and AVS Blu-ray calibration disc, so my settings are really close to CNET's. And yeah also tried the other WB settings and they don't look good to me. Wonder what type of calibration disc they used.
post #822 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Figured it out ... if anyone has the same problem, the TV doesn't love a USB stick formatted in Lion. Formatting/copying/etc. with Windows did the trick.

Thanks everyone for a great forum.
post #823 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 10:57 PM

Oh crap... I hope I didn't make you buy glasses because I haven't fully tested the game yet! I only checked out the first scene inside the boat briefly, but i can tell you it did NOT have the issues Crysis or Blops had. I can only hope the rest of the game is as crosstalk-free. But I can assure you I looked specifically for the top 25% double vision issue, and it was fine!!! I can't wait to check it out more this weekend.
post #824 of 2047 Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor777 View Post

I use Ideal-Lume Standard from CinemaQuest for bias lighting as it provides the correct whiteness:

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lumesb.htm

@bitterkeven - Looks like my TV is not "the one" never believed it was, hehe glad that you're finally able to experience xtalk-free 3D

btw, just received the polarizer filters from Sony last night, and they do not help with xtalk....worse yet, they introduce double vision as the filter somehow doesn't lie against the lens perfectly, causing double vision mostly when text is on the screen. Dunno if it's the lens or just me not installing it correctly. It does keep 3D when my head's tilted though, got them mainly for my wife as she complains that she's not able to watch 3D while lying down on the couch

Thanks for the link thor... I may order one of those, wonder if they ship to the Philippines. As for me, I tried DIY with the right bright brightness... but ultimately gave up because I do it too bright. Can't find LED lights that also output 6500K white so I may just order online.

Main Event,

Nice... I like your settings. Except the ACE because it noticeably pales skin tones and brightens the color too much. Tell me though, what happened to your clouding? I remember your pictures had horrible spots! Is it better now?

I don't need ACE with Bias Light. It makes the black Damn blacks! I turned on ACE though when I didn't had Bias Light because it was a horrible gray fest for me.
post #825 of 2047 Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Oh crap... I hope I didn't make you buy glasses because I haven't fully tested the game yet! I only checked out the first scene inside the boat briefly, but i can tell you it did NOT have the issues Crysis or Blops had. I can only hope the rest of the game is as crosstalk-free. But I can assure you I looked specifically for the top 25% double vision issue, and it was fine!!! I can't wait to check it out more this weekend.

kevin you are using SONY BR 250 glasses ? or another model ?

please make it clear and try to test it a little bit more to post the news in the forum from my country so other guys try it too.

thanks and if you are using other glasses please specify the model.

(sorry about my english)
post #826 of 2047 Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Not sure what's happening...my TV's indicator is blinking with a red light when turned off...and when I turn it on it'll shut down after a minute or so.

Menu button on the remote doesn't work either.

Edit: It does that a couple of times then shuts down for good. Red light blinks 8 times.
post #827 of 2047 Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Have you tried resting it by unpluging? There is a blink code though I'm not sure what it is for these units. Id check Sony website.

* Eight blinks - Problem with the audio (AUDIO), unit goes to standby and blinks the self-diagnosis code. Check IC406 audio amp, PS401, and 402. On some projection models of Sony TV sets, this code means that T8005 (flyback transformer), or the associative components in the high voltage circuits are defective on the D board.

This seems old but could still be accurate
post #828 of 2047 Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatoman View Post

Have you tried resting it by unpluging? There is a blink code though I'm not sure what it is for these units. Id check Sony website.

* Eight blinks - Problem with the audio (AUDIO), unit goes to standby and blinks the self-diagnosis code. Check IC406 audio amp, PS401, and 402. On some projection models of Sony TV sets, this code means that T8005 (flyback transformer), or the associative components in the high voltage circuits are defective on the D board.

This seems old but could still be accurate

Just left it unplugged for half an hour. What's weird is that as soon as I plug it in the TV turns on right away. And it doesn't fix the issue.

Saw the blink code a bit earlier, thanks for posting it. Will give a call to Sony tomorrow if they're available. Can't say I'm too happy about this right now.
post #829 of 2047 Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:

I am extremely pleased and freaking SHOCKED to report that Gears 3 does NOT have the crosstalk issue!!! So it really must be a problem related to encoding of the source content. It is a Side by Side signal, so you must manually change it, but it does not look like **** at the top of the screen like Crysis 2 and Black Ops do. I suppose I should check those 2 games again to see if it's a fix on Sony's end, or Gears' signal.

Hmm. Interesting. I just tried Gears of War 3 with 3D, and i am sad that i do not share experience as you.

The 3D was balls. The entire top screen had crosstalk, the text looked low resolution, the graphics looked crap as well, and introduced lots of jagged lines.

Has anyone tried Gears 3, here?
post #830 of 2047 Old 09-24-2011, 09:42 AM

I want to purchase 46' 3D TV, my main concern is to view 3D contents. Please suggest me between these two models

1. SAMSUNG D6600
2. SONY EX720
post #831 of 2047 Old 09-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Alright just gave a call to Sony and a hard factory reset did the trick. Hold up on the remote and push the power button on the TV itself while it is on. The rep over the phone didn't have a specific answer on why it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

mac = fail

You can format a disk as a FAT partition under Disk Utility. So, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanyoung View Post

Hmm. Interesting. I just tried Gears of War 3 with 3D, and i am sad that i do not share experience as you.

The 3D was balls. The entire top screen had crosstalk, the text looked low resolution, the graphics looked crap as well, and introduced lots of jagged lines.

Has anyone tried Gears 3, here?

I share the same opinion as bitterkevin. The 3D is crosstalk free and it's actually one of the best looking 3D games I've tried so far.

Quote:

Main Event,

Nice... I like your settings. Except the ACE because it noticeably pales skin tones and brightens the color too much. Tell me though, what happened to your clouding? I remember your pictures had horrible spots! Is it better now?

I don't need ACE with Bias Light. It makes the black Damn blacks! I turned on ACE though when I didn't had Bias Light because it was a horrible gray fest for me.

Clouding is still kinda bad without ACE on. Even with the backlight at 2-3. I did notice the skin tone colour change, however it doesn't do it pronouncedly in every scene, so it's a small trade-off for having almost perfect blacks. I'll try out the bias light sometime and see if it works for me.
post #832 of 2047 Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM

How is that Gears of War 3 looks absolutely crap on my Xbox then?

We share the same firmware. What am I missing?
post #833 of 2047 Old 09-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Just tried it again. Ok, this is annoying. It looks terrible. The text gets ultra low res, the jags are increased, the image looses sharpness. And the crosstalk is just...bad.
post #834 of 2047 Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Just tried it again. Ok, this is annoying. It looks terrible. The text gets ultra low res, the jags are increased, the image looses sharpness. And the crosstalk is just...bad.

Would you mind posting your 3D picture settings?
post #835 of 2047 Old 09-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Oh yes. So, I am using exactly what you are, The Main Event.

People post their settings all the time here, so I change often. I am using yours this week.
post #836 of 2047 Old 09-24-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Oh yes. So, I am using exactly what you are, The Main Event.

People post their settings all the time here, so I change often. I am using yours this week.

Quote:

Eco: Off
Power Saving: Low

-Picture Adjustments menu--
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 3 (3D: Max)
Picture: 93 (3D: Max)
Brightness: 56
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Off

--Advanced Settings menu--
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: 0 (3D: +1)
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
Detail Enhancer: Off (3D: High)
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]
i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

--White Balance menu--
R-Gain: -3
G-Gain: -1

3D Glasses Brightness: High

As for Gears 3 in 3D, just tried it out again and it still looks good. Not sure what else you could try. Did you check in the 360 menu to see if the size of the TV was set properly? Not sure if it affects the 3D at all, but you never know. And do you have the newer set of glasses?
post #837 of 2047 Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM

I just played Gears again and it looks great... yes the resolution does drop (jaggies on marcus's lancer on his back are noticeably worse) but the crosstalk is minimal. I noticed you can see the top screen crosstalk if you turn 3D intensity in the game all the way up, however. On default, it looks great! Definitely the best game I have seen in 3D so far. I knew there would be a resolution trade off so that didn't bother me.

I am using Sony 250 glasses, a 1.4 hdmi cable, and the latest updates to the TV and Xbox. I noticed the last 360 dashboard update added a 3DTV option to system settings... maybe that was standardizing the format? In any case, I can confirm Gears 3 looks sweet.

Thor, I wasn't trying to be a dick... I was just being sarcastic I did not think your TV was special, just that you did not see the issue we all saw. You probably never saw the bad 3D crosstalk content on side by side stuff. My Verizon FIOS 3D stuff is unwatchable, and most 360 games were unplayable. The problem remains really bad for my FIOS TV stuff. Sony stuff looks fine. And until Gears 3, all 360 games looked like ****.
post #838 of 2047 Old 09-25-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:

I just played Gears again and it looks great... yes the resolution does drop (jaggies on marcus's lancer on his back are noticeably worse) but the crosstalk is minimal. I noticed you can see the top screen crosstalk if you turn 3D intensity in the game all the way up, however. On default, it looks great! Definitely the best game I have seen in 3D so far. I knew there would be a resolution trade off so that didn't bother me.

I am using Sony 250 glasses, a 1.4 hdmi cable, and the latest updates to the TV and Xbox. I noticed the last 360 dashboard update added a 3DTV option to system settings... maybe that was standardizing the format? In any case, I can confirm Gears 3 looks sweet.

Thor, I wasn't trying to be a dick... I was just being sarcastic I did not think your TV was special, just that you did not see the issue we all saw. You probably never saw the bad 3D crosstalk content on side by side stuff. My Verizon FIOS 3D stuff is unwatchable, and most 360 games were unplayable. The problem remains really bad for my FIOS TV stuff. Sony stuff looks fine. And until Gears 3, all 360 games looked like ****.

Hi, bit of a lurker here. Never registered here before but followed this thread (Being a 40EX723 owner)

Anyway, I'm also a Gears owner too and also think it's been the best game so far for 3D (Only 3D game I own on 360 but I have several on PS3) but I do have to change the depth to +1 to clear up the top part of the screen, but that then makes the subtitles difficult to read and the cut scenes look bad.

What settings are you using for gaming and 3D gaming and have you made any adjustments? Mine's just game-standard with no adjustments.

Thanks.
post #839 of 2047 Old 09-25-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Wow... If all those spots are EVIDENT during normal viewing conditions then hell you should get a replacement.

You guys are lucky. You have replacements/upgrade programs. Here in the Philippines it sucks. In order to get a replacement due to clouding it'll take a WHILE. Some technicians who will "home visit" will argue with you and say that your TV will be queued for REPAIR!

I'm lucky with regards to clouding, crosstalk, but so UNLUCKY with the DSE. I have yet to solve it and it seems it got worse overtime.

I know you've done what you could... Power saving, brightness, etc. Definitely call for replacement if it really is that bad.

To all: No one's having bad dirty screen effect as I do? Do you see it sometimes? I'm thinking maybe white balance can cure it? Sometimes on a solid blue screen I can see the DSE. It is more evident on lower resolutions. (720p games)

Hi CaliCool - I have terrible DSE (with both vertical and horizontal "bars" spanning the screen). It really makes the screen look like a mess. I've tried playing with various settings to no avail and recently cleaned the screen with microfiber cloth and distilled water. Nothing seems to fix the problem so I"ll have to contact Sony soon...I was hoping the issue would resolve itself after the set had some time to break in.
post #840 of 2047 Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhashman93 View Post

Hi CaliCool - I have terrible DSE (with both vertical and horizontal "bars" spanning the screen). It really makes the screen look like a mess. I've tried playing with various settings to no avail and recently cleaned the screen with microfiber cloth and distilled water. Nothing seems to fix the problem so I"ll have to contact Sony soon...I was hoping the issue would resolve itself after the set had some time to break in.

Seems like we are hard luck kids in terms of DSE. Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all, and sometimes it does. I know I'm the only one who can gauge if my TV needs replacement and its hard to get one around here. Maybe give it a little month and if it's still a bitch then I'll contact Sony. I just hope they won't categorize my TV under repair, or else I'll just drop it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread