The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread
travdark's Avatar travdark 02:29 PM 10-11-2011
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear its a fantastic 2D picture, just what I was looking for.

marckevintucker's Avatar marckevintucker 07:27 PM 10-11-2011
ive looked at all the post in this thread, all the reviews on amazon and the sony thread and have worked something out,

all the posts from people complaining about the 3d pitcher are also by people that thought this tv was 240hz when they bought it.

its a fact look for yourself!! which i can understand i would be pretty dam p***ed off too if i had thought it was 240hz. so straight away people attack the 3d pitcher of this tv, because of the 60fps it will deliver to each eye. after all they should be getting a 120hz effect to each eye! of course the first thing u would do after knowing that it was only a 120hz tv is start looking for ghosting and other problems. then the posts come in by people in forums all wayyy over the top about the 3d problems.

if i seen many 240hz 3d tv's (i havent) and then payed for what i thought was a 240hz lcd tv. i would think this 120hz tv's 3d looked like S""T and i would be deeply upset and take it back if i could.

this is also were the bad reviews are coming from cnet and other they where expecting a 240hz. thats why they say the 2d is great and the 3d is not because of the refesh rate. do u think if this tv was proper 240hz there would of been bad review i bet not.

i think SONY (cleaver chaps that they are) have worked this out aswell!

they see that people are complaining about the fact thats it NOT true 240hz and it has a bad 3d pitcher at the same time.
so they think the complaints are based on the 60fps to each eye 3d effect instead of the 120hz to each eye users are seeing. so no update will fix this nothing can be done no matter how much complaining as its in the set.

sony would have looked at the complaints on there site 100% sure of that. even to the point where they would of looked at other brands 120hz lcds to compare the 3d pitcher. but all they will do is in the 2012 tv line up will make it more clear about the hz on the box. u mark my WORDS that will be all that will ever be done in 2012.

i think its a great set since its only 120hz and always new what i was buying...

just my 2 cents hehe
Pantera1222's Avatar Pantera1222 03:23 AM 10-12-2011
well my 3d looks like crap as well.. I haven't tried on games.. but most all movies I have ever watched have cross talk in them.. some aren't as bad as others and some tv show stuff on 3dnet on directv is just horrible. It can't be that everyone's set is bad.. and on directv you can't change to 720p for 3d it always defaults back to 1080p. maybe some of the newer glasses fixes the problems who knows. I know as soon as I get some money I am buying some monster 3d glasses as I have heard they help. It's an awesome TV don't get me wrong.. the only flaw is the horrible cross talk in some movies and especially the tv show stuff. Other than that this tv is awesome.. but I would say to anyone if they want the best 3d experience don't buy this tv set, plan and simple.. 1 because it's only 120hrz and 2 3d is just not up to par and probably could be 120hrz reason or just that their transmitter doesn't send the correct signals to the glasses.. btw I am using tdg-br100 because it was the only ones they had where I bought the tv and since I was getting it on credit I couldn't go elsewhere. If I do buy other glasses it won't be from Sony it will be from Monster.
Tweetermaters223's Avatar Tweetermaters223 05:04 AM 10-12-2011
Sony recalls 1.6 million LCD TVs worldwide

Associated Press, Tokyo | Wed, 10/12/2011 4:14 PM
A | A | A |

Sony Corp. says it is recalling 1.6 million LCD televisions globally because of a defect that can trigger overheating, smoke and melting parts.

Sony says has received 11 such reports in Japan, though none involved injuries or damage beyond the TVs. The models subject to the recall in Japan are the Bravia KDL-40X5000, KDL-40X5050, KDL-40W5000, KDL-40V5000 and KDL-40V3000.

The defective part - an inverter transformer used for LCD backlights - is also used in models sold overseas. But Sony says it has not received reports of similar problems.

The company will release local recall information for customers in each affected market.
marckevintucker's Avatar marckevintucker 06:40 AM 10-12-2011
only 40" models as of now it gets worse for sony by the day

KDL-40D3400,
KLD-40D3500,
KDL-40D3550,
KDL-40D3660,
KDL-40V3000,
KDL-40W3000,
KDL-40X3000,
KDL-40X3500 models
varun.ghostrider's Avatar varun.ghostrider 10:09 AM 10-12-2011
don buy any glassess i m using tgd br250 glasses and still horrible crosstalk is visible.....i am using ps3 and none of the games are playable..........any body plz suggest me any game which look fine in this f**k 3d tv..........coz i am getting irritated by the 3d effect of this tv.........i saw deamo of lg passive 3d yesterday on a near store and it was just owsome the real pop up was there.....if sony will refund me then i will go for lg.........definatly my next purchase will never be sony.............sony has average depth but no pop ups.........and its full of crosstalk........the main problem with ex720 is scanning backlight to know more about why the crosstalk is there see this......http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-br..._10659_16.html
bitterkevin's Avatar bitterkevin 12:28 PM 10-12-2011
2D performance on this TV is incredible... I have been playing Forza 4 and the showroom graphics are astounding! The only drawback I see is the spotlights in the lower corners, but I barely notice them anymore, and you can tune the TV to make them less visible. I have been using Backlight 7/Power Saver Low lately because I am used to them now.

I don't know why marckevintucker thinks the 3D is flawless, but he is flat out wrong. Side by Side Xbox 360 content is awful. The only thing so far that's been good is Gears 3 on Xbox 360, which still has some crosstalk around the top 5-10% of the screen. This is much better than the usual 25%, however. I have similar issues with Verizon FIOS On Demand. Multiple reviews and customers confirm this issue, marc, so you either do not see it or do not want to see it. I would not recommend buying the glasses because they just bring disappointment.
varun.ghostrider's Avatar varun.ghostrider 01:50 PM 10-12-2011
this is the worse tv for 3d.......
varun.ghostrider's Avatar varun.ghostrider 01:51 PM 10-12-2011
why dont sony just update this crap after charging few more buks from us.......
varun.ghostrider's Avatar varun.ghostrider 01:51 PM 10-12-2011
those guys who are unhappy with the crosstalk in this set please post your complaint here.........plzzzzzzzz
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9542

please post in this thread, the more people we get, the more liekly we are to get aid
marckevintucker's Avatar marckevintucker 03:36 PM 10-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ghostrider View Post

don buy any glassess i m using tgd br250 glasses and still horrible crosstalk is visible.....i am using ps3 and none of the games are playable..........any body plz suggest me any game which look fine in this f**k 3d tv..........coz i am getting irritated by the 3d effect of this tv.........i saw deamo of lg passive 3d yesterday on a near store and it was just owsome the real pop up was there.....if sony will refund me then i will go for lg.........definatly my next purchase will never be sony.............sony has average depth but no pop ups.........and its full of crosstalk........the main problem with ex720 is scanning backlight to know more about why the crosstalk is there see this......http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-br..._10659_16.html

GOOD luck with the 110ms gaming lag on the lg passive ive tried the lg passive and the rez drop is horrible on games. think your playing in 720p and having to deal with passives tecs own hit on rez!! the total drop makes a bad pitcher.
bitterkevin's Avatar bitterkevin 04:46 PM 10-12-2011
What's up Varun, thanks for the facebook post and sony forum plug. Welcome to the team of people who realize this 3D is ass.

Gears of War 3 has a very noticeable drop in resolution when you switch to 3d, which may be why it looks better than the other 3d games. Someone on Facebook mentioned switching to 720p output for 3D, so I will try that with Crysis 2 soon and report back here.

On an unrelated note, anyone know if Full RGB or YCC709 is better for Xbox or PS3? They both look nice, I switch back and forth and am not sure what to settle on. It seems grayscale might be a bit better on 709.
dndphishin's Avatar dndphishin 05:07 PM 10-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

2D performance on this TV is incredible... I have been playing Forza 4 and the showroom graphics are astounding! The only drawback I see is the spotlights in the lower corners, but I barely notice them anymore, and you can tune the TV to make them less visible. I have been using Backlight 7/Power Saver Low lately because I am used to them now.

I don't know why marckevintucker thinks the 3D is flawless, but he is flat out wrong. Side by Side Xbox 360 content is awful. The only thing so far that's been good is Gears 3 on Xbox 360, which still has some crosstalk around the top 5-10% of the screen. This is much better than the usual 25%, however. I have similar issues with Verizon FIOS On Demand. Multiple reviews and customers confirm this issue, marc, so you either do not see it or do not want to see it. I would not recommend buying the glasses because they just bring disappointment.

Question for you 720 owners:

I'm considering a 55".....and am still bouncing back and forth between plasma and LED. Of the LED sets I've seen the EX720 is on the list of "finalists" (as is the NX720, 729, and 820).

But I'm most curious about the "flashlighting" and "spotlighting" oft referred to in these sets. I have seen several Sonys in multiple showrooms, but those rooms are bright with TVs likely in "torch mode" and I see no evidence of this on the sets.

I am trying to get a grasp as to just how much of an issue this is, as I don't want to end up buying or swapping out three or four TVs to find out all the drawbacks. It seems there are methods of reducing the phenomenon via adjusting the backlight, etc...for some it's a no-go, for others it's very minor (especially when adjusted).

I guess long story short is I'm looking for some more guidance on this issue, and just how worried I should be about it, since I can't seem to observe it in the Big Box stores. If it's in the realm of "minor, and usually only sweated by videophiles", or if it's something I will want rid of.

I am aware of the "full array local dimming" but that's just too much coin.

I presume I'll find it most at issue in dim light watching feature films.
marckevintucker's Avatar marckevintucker 05:33 PM 10-12-2011
QUOTE=bitterkevin;21071524]2D performance on this TV is incredible... I have been playing Forza 4 and the showroom graphics are astounding! The only drawback I see is the spotlights in the lower corners, but I barely notice them anymore, and you can tune the TV to make them less visible. I have been using Backlight 7/Power Saver Low lately because I am used to them now.

I don't know why marckevintucker thinks the 3D is flawless, but he is flat out wrong. Side by Side Xbox 360 content is awful. The only thing so far that's been good is Gears 3 on Xbox 360, which still has some crosstalk around the top 5-10% of the screen. This is much better than the usual 25%, however. I have similar issues with Verizon FIOS On Demand. Multiple reviews and customers confirm this issue, marc, so you either do not see it or do not want to see it. I would not recommend buying the glasses because they just bring disappointment.[/quote]

ok try black ops campain with these setting

in picture

select custom mode and put the

contrast....... max
brightness..... 83
colour.......... max
sharpness..... max
hue.............. 0
colour temp... warm 2
everything else set to... off

in advanced setting put
gamma max
detail enhancer low
edge enhancer low
everything else off

glasses brightness put to....high

play in the dark

i hardly ever have ghosting, killzones plays like **** and motorstorm has quite bad ghosting but they are only the demos ive tried, and they are bad on most peoples sets everyone says about the ghosting problems,.,.,.

PLEASE REPORT BACK TO WHAT U THINK???

THE TOP HALF SCREEN IS NOT GHOSTING I CAN TELL U THAT....
sharpness max
marckevintucker's Avatar marckevintucker 06:39 PM 10-12-2011
socom 3 same settings as above, but change the 3d game setting to.

3d effect 55% and 3d depth 55% it looks good!!!!
bitterkevin's Avatar bitterkevin 09:11 PM 10-12-2011
Marc, if you don't see all the double vision at the top of the screen in black ops, you're blind. No settings affect it. Go look at trees in a jungle level and notice how they diverge into a Y around the top 1/4 of the screen. I also seem to remember some double vision on the gun when you ADS. I played thru the whole campaign again in 3D and the issue is definitely there. I have not played it in months tho, so I cannot tell you if it has been fixed.

DND, the issue can be minimized and is only visible against black. I find it most annoying on a letterboxed movie. It is really not that bad, but I am the picky sort. The local dimming sets probably fix this problem. On this set, they are omnipresent, but I find setting the Power saver to Low and the backlight to 5 or below greatly minimizes them. Some TVs, like previous posters and the UK review noted, have bad clouding (white blotches on black), but mine does not. Just 2 spotlights (triangle light beams like looking at the batsignal from the side).
varun.ghostrider's Avatar varun.ghostrider 04:44 AM 10-13-2011
Quote:

Marc, if you don't see all the double vision at the top of the screen in black ops, you're blind. No settings affect it. Go look at trees in a jungle level and notice how they diverge into a Y around the top 1/4 of the screen. I also seem to remember some double vision on the gun when you ADS. I played thru the whole campaign again in 3D and the issue is definitely there. I have not played it in months tho, so I cannot tell you if it has been fixed.

DND, the issue can be minimized and is only visible against black. I find it most annoying on a letterboxed movie. It is really not that bad, but I am the picky sort. The local dimming sets probably fix this problem. On this set, they are omnipresent, but I find setting the Power saver to Low and the backlight to 5 or below greatly minimizes them. Some TVs, like previous posters and the UK review noted, have bad clouding (white blotches on black), but mine does not. Just 2 spotlights (triangle light beams like looking at the batsignal from the side).

I agree with kevin.......hey kevin can u tell me how 2 change the rez of crisis 2 at 720 p.
Coz I use automatic setting in my ps3 and when I turn the setting 2 mannual my ps3 didnt detect my tv as 3d tv.plz suggest me any game rather thn g3 or any movies tht luk gud in this **** tv.
marckevintucker's Avatar marckevintucker 06:29 AM 10-13-2011
Quote:

there is no ghosting on the top half of my screen in black ops! only on the words follow as in it will look like FFOLLOW. or if im really looking for ghosting i can see some as with every 3dtv. it was there badly in motorstorm the demo at the top and i couldnt sort it but i find im not looking at the top of the screen when playing that anyway.

bearing in mind i did only buy the tv for 1200 dollors or 800 pounds for a brand new 55 inch model which is a grand off the sony uk site. so maybe thats why im abit more happy with it than u? i would say u should try socom 3 as it looks really good with some tweaks,

Quote:

I agree with kevin.......hey kevin can u tell me how 2 change the rez of crisis 2 at 720 p.
Coz I use automatic setting in my ps3 and when I turn the setting 2 mannual my ps3 didnt detect my tv as 3d tv.plz suggest me any game rather thn g3 or any movies tht luk gud in this **** tv.

i have'nt got crysis 2 although i have played it before, the thing is that game makers sometimes dont even test there 3d on a tv just on a pc. there seems to be a big diffrences in 3d tv's even the same model!

i dont know why your ps3 doesnt let u turn automatic off? without losing 3d! but auto would of put it into game mode which can create washed out look. try changing it before u start your ps3 changing it to custom mode on a tv channel. checking if it changed back to auto once your ps3 has started. it shouldnt if u did u may have a problem redo your tv's setup and the ps3's display.
3DFREAK's Avatar 3DFREAK 07:20 AM 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dndphishin View Post

Question for you 720 owners:

I'm considering a 55".....and am still bouncing back and forth between plasma and LED. Of the LED sets I've seen the EX720 is on the list of "finalists" (as is the NX720, 729, and 820).

But I'm most curious about the "flashlighting" and "spotlighting" oft referred to in these sets. I have seen several Sonys in multiple showrooms, but those rooms are bright with TVs likely in "torch mode" and I see no evidence of this on the sets.

I am trying to get a grasp as to just how much of an issue this is, as I don't want to end up buying or swapping out three or four TVs to find out all the drawbacks. It seems there are methods of reducing the phenomenon via adjusting the backlight, etc...for some it's a no-go, for others it's very minor (especially when adjusted).

I guess long story short is I'm looking for some more guidance on this issue, and just how worried I should be about it, since I can't seem to observe it in the Big Box stores. If it's in the realm of "minor, and usually only sweated by videophiles", or if it's something I will want rid of.

I am aware of the "full array local dimming" but that's just too much coin.

I presume I'll find it most at issue in dim light watching feature films.

Dude if you want the best 3D experience go with a panasonic plasma, forget the EX720 series, it's on the bottom as far as 3D goes. If you want 2D only then go with a real LED or Plasma set. The EX720 series is a LCD set with LED BACKLIGHT.......(more Sony marketing BS....just like the 240 Motion F'n Flow)
dndphishin's Avatar dndphishin 08:06 AM 10-13-2011
3DFREAK -

The 3D for me is immaterial. I won't use it. Just looking for a good 2D picture.

I thought that LED sets are LCDs with LED backlight. Could you give me an example of "real LED"?
3DFREAK's Avatar 3DFREAK 09:34 AM 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dndphishin View Post

3DFREAK -

The 3D for me is immaterial. I won't use it. Just looking for a good 2D picture.

I thought that LED sets are LCDs with LED backlight. Could you give me an example of "real LED"?

The first thing to know about LED (Light Emitting Diode) TVs is that they are simply LCD TVs with a different kind of backlighting. The screen remains the same but LEDs are used in place of Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFL) that are found in most LCD TVs.

It's those CCFL's that cause the flashlight effect. The 2D pic on the ex720 series is a good one. There are many adjustments available to get it just the way you want it.

Check out Samsung UN55D models for a 55 inch screen. I believe these also have a true 240hz refresh rate.
dm145's Avatar dm145 10:01 AM 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFREAK View Post

The first thing to know about LED (Light Emitting Diode) TVs is that they are simply LCD TVs with a different kind of backlighting. The screen remains the same but LEDs are used in place of Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFL) that are found in most LCD TVs.

It's those CCFL's that cause the flashlight effect. The 2D pic on the ex720 series is a good one. There are many adjustments available to get it just the way you want it.

Check out Samsung UN55D models for a 55 inch screen. I believe these also have a true 240hz refresh rate.

wow, your edit is some back track
you originally thought the samsung was actually an LED screen not LCD\\LED
nice try to cover that up
3DFREAK's Avatar 3DFREAK 10:16 AM 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

wow, your edit is some back track
you originally thought the samsung was actually an LED screen not LCD\\LED
nice try to cover that up

Thanks!
varun.ghostrider's Avatar varun.ghostrider 02:35 PM 10-13-2011
Dear mark in india I bought this 46 inch **** for 2100$ or 1 lakh rupees thats y I am bothered about 3d.in india sony tvs are very costly in comparison to other places.

By the way now I am going to try your settings.
varun.ghostrider's Avatar varun.ghostrider 03:33 PM 10-13-2011
Hey mark your setting were nice they didn't reduces the CT but let them less visible...i tried black ops wid your settings and it was playable..
Hey tell me one more thing did 1.4 hdmi will help to reduce CT and enhace the 3d quality.
And last thing I ranks ask that is there any game or movie which look good in this tv and is this lcd provide an average pop up effect.coz I didn't noticed any pop up yet.
dndphishin's Avatar dndphishin 05:10 PM 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFREAK View Post

Eggzellent I think I am beginning to establish a "pecking order" of TVs now, so when my local store offers the appropriate deals it will be time to pounce. The picture is becoming much clearer.....
marckevintucker's Avatar marckevintucker 05:22 PM 10-13-2011
Quote:

Hey mark your setting were nice they didn't reduces the CT but let them less visible...i tried black ops wid your settings and it was playable..
Hey tell me one more thing did 1.4 hdmi will help to reduce CT and enhace the 3d quality.
And last thing I ranks ask that is there any game or movie which look good in this tv and is this lcd provide an average pop up effect.coz I didn't noticed any pop up yet.

i have a 1.4 cable never tried a 1.3 cable,

WOW I JUST GOT GRAN TURISMO 5 ITS WICKED....

GO TO THE OPTIONS THEN THE 3D SETTING AND PUT IN

PARALLAX AT 10,

AND CONVERGENCE AT 0.86

THEN IN THE RACE PRESS START AND GO TO RACE OPTIONS TURN OFF,

RACE INFO DISPLAY,

COURSE MAP DISPLAY

AND HAVE IT ON THE IN CAR VIEW,

THE ROADS AND THE INSIDE VIEW HAVE NO GHOSTING AT ALL, BUT THE SIGNS DO! WHEN DRIVING I NEVER NOTICE THEM THE DEPTH IS UNREAL.....

I WAS DRIVING THE MAZDA RX8 WHEN I TESTED THIS

TRY IT BEST GAME SO FAR FOR SHEAR DEPTH
marckevintucker's Avatar marckevintucker 06:01 PM 10-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marckevintucker View Post

i have a 1.4 cable never tried a 1.3 cable,

WOW I JUST GOT GRAN TURISMO 5 ITS WICKED....

GO TO THE OPTIONS THEN THE 3D SETTING AND PUT IN

PARALLAX AT 10,

AND CONVERGENCE AT 0.86

THEN IN THE RACE PRESS START AND GO TO RACE OPTIONS TURN OFF,

RACE INFO DISPLAY,

COURSE MAP DISPLAY

AND HAVE IT ON THE IN CAR VIEW,

THE ROADS AND THE INSIDE VIEW HAVE NO GHOSTING AT ALL, BUT THE SIGNS DO! WHEN DRIVING I NEVER NOTICE THEM THE DEPTH IS UNREAL.....

I WAS DRIVING THE MAZDA RX8 WHEN I TESTED THIS

TRY IT BEST GAME SO FAR FOR SHEAR DEPTH

OK I THINK PARALLAX AT 7 OR 8 IS MORE EASY ON THE EYES

TRY

SPECIAL STAGE ROUTE 7 IN THE RAIN IN ANY VIEW

IT LOOKS AMAZINGGGGG
CaliCool's Avatar CaliCool 09:43 PM 10-13-2011
What's up people...

Been playing with my settings for a while and I think I'll settle with Clear. Tried different movies (I have lots of lots of Blu Ray I'm telling ya!) and now content with Clear. Of course I DO switch to Game or Graphics mode when playing though.

The only thing I don't like about my set is the Dirty Screen Effect... but I fear if I get it replaced I'll get a bad TV with crosstalk. So I think I'm content...

I have my Backlight at 8, and Contrast at 90. Brightness at 50... It makes the blacks dam n blacks and I don't notice the spotlighting anymore if my Bias Light is turned on. Even my dad commented that the blacks has somewhat improved.
FlowerCage's Avatar FlowerCage 12:24 AM 10-14-2011
I am considering buying the KDL46EX720 , how is the input lag on this tv considered to other similar tvs?
Tags: Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop