The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 2042 Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Newbie
 
s_eternal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, guess I didn't properly introduce myself apart from the reply a few posts ago.
I recieved my EX720 a couple of months ago and have been tweeking the settings up until now. I tried to go for a pic that showed a lot of 'pop' while showing realistic details but have been unsuccessful. I originally used CaliCool's settings and went from there. I finally decided to get HD Essentials bluray and now i am very pleased w/ the picture quality and shadow detail on this set.

Oh, btw, returned my Narnia 3d starter set to Best Buy after a month of testing and tweeking 3d settings. I give up on the 3d feature and don't plan on looking back, unless theres some sort of breakthrough fix for the 3d feature. Come to think of it, the only thing I didn't try from this thread was changing to 720p.........
s_eternal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 2042 Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Newbie
 
graphiteoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've spent a few days reading through this entire thread (wowsers) after purchasing a 40inch EX720 for approx $900AU (actually, just over 1000 including wifi adapter and a decent extended warranty)

Had to decide between this and the D6000 Samsung, but this won out on extra features. (quickflix/netflix on the tv for starters, as well as better menus, etc)

I'm not hugely picky when it comes to screen quality, but the Sony was as good/better than the Samsung, and I'm more and more impressed the more I watch it. I have more fiddling to do with settings, but used most of the ones from the front page.

One question I saw asked a while ago that I didn't see a clear answer on - Which 3D glasses is everyone using? I was told the 250 was the right glasses to go with this series of tv, but others have said the 100s are ok? Has anyone tried other brands? If those that are talking about Crosstalk can share how bad it is vs which models they're using, it'd help me before I spend the money buying them.

Thanks
graphiteoz is offline  
post #993 of 2042 Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 AM
Member
 
nbnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using the 40in model with a PC through HDMI?

I'm using it with:

Scene: Game
Backlight 7
Picture 90
Brightness 50
Colour 55
Neutral
Sharpness 50
Everything else and advanced is off

Connected through HDMI input 1 and renamed to PC (I don't think this is a necessity like Sammys) and Full for the Dynamic Range

Any suggestions?
nbnt is offline  
post #994 of 2042 Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Member
 
varun.ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_eternal View Post

Hey everyone, guess I didn't properly introduce myself apart from the reply a few posts ago.
I recieved my EX720 a couple of months ago and have been tweeking the settings up until now. I tried to go for a pic that showed a lot of 'pop' while showing realistic details but have been unsuccessful. I originally used CaliCool's settings and went from there. I finally decided to get HD Essentials bluray and now i am very pleased w/ the picture quality and shadow detail on this set.

Oh, btw, returned my Narnia 3d starter set to Best Buy after a month of testing and tweeking 3d settings. I give up on the 3d feature and don't plan on looking back, unless theres some sort of breakthrough fix for the 3d feature. Come to think of it, the only thing I didn't try from this thread was changing to 720p.........

ya its true 720p 3d containt looks owsome in this set......but 1080p 3d is unwatchable.....you can manage it if you dont concentrate on top half of the seen....only lg 3d 1080p demo is crosstalk free....
varun.ghostrider is offline  
post #995 of 2042 Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Newbie
 
s_eternal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ghostrider View Post


ya its true 720p 3d containt looks owsome in this set......but 1080p 3d is unwatchable.....you can manage it if you dont concentrate on top half of the seen....only lg 3d 1080p demo is crosstalk free....

K then, I might try to pick up a set of the 250's during black friday sales this month and try again
s_eternal is offline  
post #996 of 2042 Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Briant73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have some questions about this set, thinking of purchasing it to replace my current set.
I currently am on my second Sharp 60le832u set. Clouding/flashlighting is noticeable on dark/night scenes to my distraction. Also with Sharps motion enhancement on during football it seems the ball blurs/trails badly at times when thrown/kicked. I turn film mode off usually. So thinking of going with a different set and the ex720 looks like it might be a good choice. The ex720 has 3d but more interested in 2d right now.

Things I do care about in a TV
60" or so screen size
Decent viewing from any angle
No noticeable PQ defect at least when watching a source
Handles motion for sports/action well
Low game lag (xbox360)
4 HDMI ports
Handles reflections/glare well

Also if anyone has compared the 60" ex720 to the Sharp 60" 83x lineup what did you think?
Briant73 is offline  
post #997 of 2042 Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CaliCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've come across something regarding the TV's Dynamic Range.

I've sometimes been bothered, while playing games in PS3 that is, about some games cutting off to a grey background instead of a black one. I've made sure I've set my Dynamic Range to Limited in PS3... So I've tinkered with the TV some more, and changed the TV's setting to Limited instead of Auto... Now, I don't get those grey screens anymore and it seems like the grey-scale is more corrected this time.

Maybe this is the one some users are referring to as Dull Colors.
CaliCool is offline  
post #998 of 2042 Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Senior Member
 
henhowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 90025
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

Hey guys, I've come across something regarding the TV's Dynamic Range.

I've sometimes been bothered, while playing games in PS3 that is, about some games cutting off to a grey background instead of a black one. I've made sure I've set my Dynamic Range to Limited in PS3... So I've tinkered with the TV some more, and changed the TV's setting to Limited instead of Auto... Now, I don't get those grey screens anymore and it seems like the grey-scale is more corrected this time.

Maybe this is the one some users are referring to as Dull Colors.

I think this occurred in earlier Bravia models as well. For my XBR4 setting Auto on the TV would result in washed out colors. This was the summary of people's tests in the XBR4 thread:

Quote:
Full/limited/auto is the subject of much debate here. Here is my understanding, others feel free to jump in.
AUTO: does not work reliably on this TV model - BUT it might work reliably on a particular TV set, for unknown reasons.
LIMITED: this is the range that the source material was actually mastered in. So if you set both to limited, your default colors are more likely to be correct.
FULL: gives more range to the colors. But your material was not mastered in full. It will require fiddling with the color balance to adjust for the larger range. Many people like FULL better than LIMITED, others say it makes colors unrealistic.

There is a (to me) similar debate about the color matrix to use when watching DVDs. They are encoded using one. But many people feel they look better when displayed using the color matrix for Blu-Ray.

henhowc is offline  
post #999 of 2042 Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Newbie
 
Dr_Hfuhruhurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I've been lurking around here for awhile, but rarely have anything worth posting. Now, I need your expertise. I recently purchased a 60EX720 as an exchange from Sony for my old KDS60A2000, which died the green tinted death. I received the new set on Friday and have fiddled around with it pretty extensively (though I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to most of this stuff).

Initial impressions are good, as the picture looks great and it is a huge improvement over our old set. Also, the 3D seems okay, as far as I can tell--but I'm not a huge fan of the 3D craze. Anyway, I do have one big, glaring problem with the set. Whenever the screen is black or in a dark scene, the upper left hand corner (and, really, almost entire left half of the screen) is really, really blotchy and "cloudy." It's not much of an issue during the day, and doesn't have a real effect on bright scenes... but watching movies at night (especially dark films or letterboxed) is incredibly distracting.

Here are two pictures I took to try to illustrate the problem (one is a videogame load screen and the other is a scene from Inception):





So, the big question: Is this normal? This is my first LCD set and I've never heard of such a problem before with LCDs in general. I did a little research online and read that 'screen uniformity' is what this issue is called, and many of the EX720 reviews state that the set has really poor uniformity. But, I just can't believe this is acceptable to anyone, under any circumstances. Sony is sending a repairman out to look at the set, and the repairman indicated he would likely just replace the screen with a new one, but I'd like to find out from others on here whether this is just typical of the EX720 or other LCDs.

If it is normal, are there any settings that can be adjusted to minimize the defect? Turning on the light sensor under eco settings seems to help a bit, but decreasing the backlight setting doesn't seem to have much impact on the problem.

Any help you guys could provide would be very, very appreciated!

-dt
Dr_Hfuhruhurr is offline  
post #1000 of 2042 Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 AM
 
bitterkevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That is not normal. Most of these sets only have spotlights in the lower corners. I have suggested using Backlight 5/Power Saving Low to help reduce the clouding/spotlights.

The glasses I have are the 250s. They seem pretty good, except for the crosstalk issue. I don't know if that is the glasses' fault or the TV's. Either way, I doubt we are getting a fix.

The Auto/Full/Limited thing for range does not sem to work right for me either. If I set my Xbox to RGB Full, the TV does not Auto switch, so it looks whitewashed. I leave that Input on Full. My cable box looks fine on Auto however (i think the default for auto is limited, but the auto-detect is not smart enough to know the difference in signals). You can also set the default color space from the same menu (Advanced Picture Settings under Home Menu, i think)
bitterkevin is offline  
post #1001 of 2042 Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
henhowc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 90025
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

The Auto/Full/Limited thing for range does not sem to work right for me either. If I set my Xbox to RGB Full, the TV does not Auto switch, so it looks whitewashed. I leave that Input on Full. My cable box looks fine on Auto however (i think the default for auto is limited, but the auto-detect is not smart enough to know the difference in signals). You can also set the default color space from the same menu (Advanced Picture Settings under Home Menu, i think)

I think your safest bet is to always manually set this option. Auto for RGB dynamic has never worked properly for me.
henhowc is offline  
post #1002 of 2042 Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Member
 
chambery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

Have some questions about this set, thinking of purchasing it to replace my current set.
I currently am on my second Sharp 60le832u set. Clouding/flashlighting is noticeable on dark/night scenes to my distraction. Also with Sharps motion enhancement on during football it seems the ball blurs/trails badly at times when thrown/kicked. I turn film mode off usually. So thinking of going with a different set and the ex720 looks like it might be a good choice. The ex720 has 3d but more interested in 2d right now.

Things I do care about in a TV
60" or so screen size
Decent viewing from any angle
No noticeable PQ defect at least when watching a source
Handles motion for sports/action well
Low game lag (xbox360)
4 HDMI ports
Handles reflections/glare well

Also if anyone has compared the 60" ex720 to the Sharp 60" 83x lineup what did you think?

Briant 73, you have a PM
chambery is offline  
post #1003 of 2042 Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Newbie
 
bashbros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received my 720 the other day as my settlement of my old
sony with the optical block problems and hooked it up. So far I love the picture but i use to be able to control all the functions with my universal remote. While i can turn my shaw cable box, yamaha sound bar and t.v. on and off my t.v. keeps reverting back to it's speakers instead of the sound bar and i cannot seem to lock this in.

If I turn on my cable box, then t.v. then sound bar then it seems ok but it does not seem to let me just push the one button and turn on all three or just the t.v. speakers come on. I've looked at sync etc. but so far no matter how i let my universal remote turn on all 3 devices no luck, need to turn the sound bar off then back on so the t.v. picks the sound from that.

Anyone got any ideas? thanks
bashbros is offline  
post #1004 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Member
 
varun.ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3d is the family of TV.......and be due to the faulty backlight scanning......but till now I have seen many 3d
Stuffs.....and few of my fab 1 with less CT and iwsome effects.....
-step up 3d 1080
-rio 720
-g force 720p
-I max deep sea 1080
-iMax under the sea
-Alice,in the wonder land.1080 it might have major CT issue but effects were owsome
-cloudy with the chance of meat balls 720
-lg demo. With 0 CT.
-avatar was owsome might have CT on might seems but it was owsome.
-now w8ing for xmen....
-
varun.ghostrider is offline  
post #1005 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Yankees24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For a while I wasn't feeling the yellowish skin tones in indoor or dark scenes while watching some blu rays. I took the cinema settings from the first page and adjusted it further to my taste, especially the white balance. I wish there were a white balance option while in vivid mode.

Think before you speak....
Yankees24 is offline  
post #1006 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Allan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a 40 EX720 for the bedroom two weeks ago and have fiddled around with the picture settings a lot. I've have tried most of the calibration settings in this thread and elsewhere on the web, but there are a couple of things with which I could use some help please:

1) The blacks on this tv are phenomenal. However, when there is a very dark background and someone in front of that background is wearing dark clothing, the clothes and background blend together - there is no distinct separation or contrast between the two. I've played with everything including the Black Corrector and the Advanced Contrast, but the situation remains.

2) I'm having a real tough time getting consistent skin tones. They may look good on one station or in one show, but not another. I have tried Live Color off, low & medium. I've tried color between 54-60 (54 is the calibrated level according to the THX calibration and 60 just seems too saturated). For now I'm keeping the color temp at neutral only because warm 1 or warm 2 add too much red to everything, though the skin color does look better with warm 2. And yes, on indoor scenes there is often a slightly yellow tint (I have green & blue bias at -2).

This set was a replacement for an old KDL-40V4500 which, while not as "dynamic" as the EX720, did display more consistent colors. Any thoughts or assistance on these two setting questions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I'm certainly no expert but when I played a 3D movie on this set through my new Panasonic 210 DVD player it looked absolute fine - no crosstalk, and not noticeably different from what I've seen in theaters. Certainly much better than I expected after reading some of the comments and "reviews" in this thread.

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
Allan2 is offline  
post #1007 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Yankees24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

I purchased a 40 EX720 for the bedroom two weeks ago and have fiddled around with the picture settings a lot. I've have tried most of the calibration settings in this thread and elsewhere on the web, but there are a couple of things with which I could use some help please:

1) The blacks on this tv are phenomenal. However, when there is a very dark background and someone in front of that background is wearing dark clothing, the clothes and background blend together - there is no distinct separation or contrast between the two. I've played with everything including the Black Corrector and the Advanced Contrast, but the situation remains.

2) I'm having a real tough time getting consistent skin tones. They may look good on one station or in one show, but not another. I have tried Live Color off, low & medium. I've tried color between 54-60 (54 is the calibrated level according to the THX calibration and 60 just seems too saturated). For now I'm keeping the color temp at neutral only because warm 1 or warm 2 add too much red to everything, though the skin color does look better with warm 2. And yes, on indoor scenes there is often a slightly yellow tint (I have green & blue bias at -2).

This set was a replacement for an old KDL-40V4500 which, while not as "dynamic" as the EX720, did display more consistent colors. Any thoughts or assistance on these two setting questions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I'm certainly no expert but when I played a 3D movie on this set through my new Panasonic 210 DVD player it looked absolute fine - no crosstalk, and not noticeably different from what I've seen in theaters. Certainly much better than I expected after reading some of the comments and "reviews" in this thread.

You're right ....skin tones are a pain in the butt to get it consistent across all inputs and shows

Think before you speak....
Yankees24 is offline  
post #1008 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Newbie
 
davisjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so my googling has produced mixed results on this one, and I wondering if anyone here knows the answer. Has something changed recently that the optical out is no longer sending 5.1? I have my Xbox 360 running to the TV via HDMI and then I pipe the audio to my receiver via the optical out. I do this so that I can use the Xbox with or without the receiver being on. Anyway, until just recently, I was getting digital 5.1 passed through to the receiver. I noticed today that now it is stereo only. I then saw the same thing when watching Netflix (using the KDL60EX720 to stream). Did something change in a recent software update (or am I going crazy)?
davisjj is offline  
post #1009 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisjj View Post

Ok, so my googling has produced mixed results on this one, and I wondering if anyone here knows the answer. Has something changed recently that the optical out is no longer sending 5.1? I have my Xbox 360 running to the TV via HDMI and then I pipe the audio to my receiver via the optical out. I do this so that I can use the Xbox with or without the receiver being on. Anyway, until just recently, I was getting digital 5.1 passed through to the receiver. I noticed today that now it is stereo only. I then saw the same thing when watching Netflix (using the KDL60EX720 to stream). Did something change in a recent software update (or am I going crazy)?

I have the KDL 60EX700 and in order for it to pass through 5.1 you need to set sound to speakers and not tv in the menu. I don't know if that applies to the 720 series though.
bluer101 is offline  
post #1010 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hughh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees24 View Post

You're right ....skin tones are a pain in the butt to get it consistent across all inputs and shows

These TVs will show the difference in skin tones, even on live news broadcast, i.e., weatherman moves from desk to board. The intensity of the lights is picked up by the TV as a slight difference in skin tones. Also, on regular programing, no two TV shows are shown with the same color intensity, Hawaii 5 is a great example. Colors are usually over-saturated. I did read that starting with tonights episode, colors will be closer to standards.

Face it, we have TVs so sensitive they can show the difference in lighting, etc.
One of the anchorwomen in one of our local TV has to have a filter so the TV will not show the blemishes in her skin. Something that old TV were not able to do...
hughh is offline  
post #1011 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hughh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post

I think your safest bet is to always manually set this option. Auto for RGB dynamic has never worked properly for me.

I read somewhere on AVS that the correct POSITION is: LIMITED
hughh is offline  
post #1012 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Newbie
 
davisjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post


I have the KDL 60EX700 and in order for it to pass through 5.1 you need to set sound to speakers and not tv in the menu. I don't know if that applies to the 720 series though.

Yep, I tried that too. It's just weird, because I know it was working with the Xbox and then it just stopped. It's puzzling.
davisjj is offline  
post #1013 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Allan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

These TVs will show the difference in skin tones, even on live news broadcast, i.e., weatherman moves from desk to board. The intensity of the lights is picked up by the TV as a slight difference in skin tones. Also, on regular programing, no two TV shows are shown with the same color intensity, Hawaii 5 is a great example. Colors are usually over-saturated. I did read that starting with tonights episode, colors will be closer to standards.

Face it, we have TVs so sensitive they can show the difference in lighting, etc.
One of the anchorwomen in one of our local TV has to have a filter so the TV will not show the blemishes in her skin. Something that old TV were not able to do...

I have 3 other Sony HD LCD's in the house and this is the only one with which I have this problem.

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
Allan2 is offline  
post #1014 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hughh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

I have 3 other Sony HD LCD's in the house and this is the only one with which I have this problem.

I have two Sony TV. The XBR1 is no sharp enough to differentiate. The 60EX700 certainly is. The colors and the sharpness are much better than my older 60" XBR1.

The old adage is now more palpable than before, with these TVs...garbage in, garbage out.
hughh is offline  
post #1015 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Allan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And you really think that's the cause? If that were the case, I have to believe you'd see the same problem reported by owners of Samsungs, Panny's, etc., don't you think?

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
Allan2 is offline  
post #1016 of 2042 Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Member
 
stustan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
In my opinion you will never, ever, never, ever get anything that approaches consistency in skin tone or, for that matter, any aspect of visual presentation on cable, broadcast, or satellite feeds. The same program will look shockingly different when viewed as broadcast by the different providers.

Blame network compression, provider compression, satellite compression, line feeds and links, cable feed noise, isolation line amps and filters for skewing the delicate visual cues

The subjective color timing on the Program Master might mot be to your taste before the show even begins it's serpentine degrading trip to your home. Let's not even discuss what happens to the audio.

My suggestion is to not tweak your set like crazy when watching cable. Find a pleasing average setting and try to enjoy. Save the hard core tweaking for Blu-Rays but even then color timing and saturation is in the eye of the Director and the Color Timer.

Relax and enjoy your fine gear!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
stustan is offline  
post #1017 of 2042 Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Member
 
patrickgillette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping somebody can help me out...

On my old GWIII I could access different sources by pressing Input + 3 or Input + 5 on the remote to watch TV or Xbox or whatever I wanted to do. From what I can tell the Bravia only allows you to select the input list and scroll up/down for the source you want.

Is there any super secret way to access a specific input via buttons? Thanks.
patrickgillette is offline  
post #1018 of 2042 Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Member
 
fdw777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgillette View Post

Hoping somebody can help me out...

On my old GWIII I could access different sources by pressing Input + 3 or Input + 5 on the remote to watch TV or Xbox or whatever I wanted to do. From what I can tell the Bravia only allows you to select the input list and scroll up/down for the source you want.

Is there any super secret way to access a specific input via buttons? Thanks.


I need help with this as well.....trying to use a MX500 remote.

Thanks
fdw777 is offline  
post #1019 of 2042 Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
gfbuchanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgillette View Post

Hoping somebody can help me out...

On my old GWIII I could access different sources by pressing Input + 3 or Input + 5 on the remote to watch TV or Xbox or whatever I wanted to do. From what I can tell the Bravia only allows you to select the input list and scroll up/down for the source you want.

Is there any super secret way to access a specific input via buttons? Thanks.

I don't know how to do it from the Sony remote. But my Logitech Harmony remote is able to select the correct input. So it is possible.

Greg
gfbuchanan is offline  
post #1020 of 2042 Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hughh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched the new Brian Williams news show last night on NBC. The skin colors in the middle segment went to hell. The color saturation and the slightly greenish cast made Mr. Williams look sickly. That was NOT the TV. As stated previously...garbage in, garbage out!
hughh is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off