Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2042 Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7289 View Post

I have a 32EX720, and to me, it looks way too dark. I run it on Game: Original mode, but even with the backlight at Max it's far darker than my computer monitor (HP zr24w, which is CCFL-backlit). If I set the monitor to not even half it's max "Brightness" setting (which actually controls the backlight) it's still significantly brighter than the TV.

So, is this how it's supposed to be or is the LED backlighting messed up on my TV somehow?

EDIT: Even if I set my monitor to its lowest backlight setting and the TV to its highest backlight setting on Game: Original mode, directly comparing them the monitor may still win out, but it's a much closer call.

In all probability you have ECO turned on. (By default it is)

Skim through the Advanced Settings from the TV and you will find it. (This cannot be found on the Picture Adjustments). If you have ECO on ON, even Max Backlight will not be enough for you.

With ECO turned OFF, BACKLIGHT at MAX, the TV will surely be more powerful than your computer monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2042 Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Have you turned the energy saving features off? As this dulls the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

In all probability you have ECO turned on. (By default it is)

Skim through the Advanced Settings from the TV and you will find it. (This cannot be found on the Picture Adjustments). If you have ECO on ON, even Max Backlight will not be enough for you.

With ECO turned OFF, BACKLIGHT at MAX, the TV will surely be more powerful than your computer monitor.

That was it! The auto-brightness setting was set to "On", so I turned that off and voila, a perfectly bright TV!

Thanks so much!
post #1083 of 2042 Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM

So, Josh is the gaming performance (input lag) really poor?

BTW, I wonder if the size of the model would make a difference in the input lag. Like 32" vs 37" or 55".
post #1084 of 2042 Old 11-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Silly question please. Sometimes when I turn on the set the SONY logo appears, sometimes it doesn't. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason determining when it does appear. Does anyone know why it's there sometimes and why not other times? And is there a setting to disable it?

Thanks

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #1085 of 2042 Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM

I just assembled the TV. Am I the only one that cannot tilt the TV backwards as in make it face upwards more?

It says I can tilt it upto 6 degrees in the instructions. But I'm not able to tilt it at all. It's stuck at 0 degrees.

Anyone else having this?
post #1086 of 2042 Old 11-20-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

TO ALL:

Where do you guys output your 3D? I have come across some posts in this site and others saying that via PS3 you can adjust the "3D Screen Size". I did so, as recommended, and adjusted it to 10" instead of my usual 46" and I was BLOWN away by the 3D. No Cross Talk at all now in UNCHARTED 3.
post #1087 of 2042 Old 11-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TO ALL:

Where do you guys output your 3D? I have come across some posts in this site and others saying that via PS3 you can adjust the "3D Screen Size". I did so, as recommended, and adjusted it to 10" instead of my usual 46" and I was BLOWN away by the 3D. No Cross Talk at all now in UNCHARTED 3.

Interesting. I just tried this after reading your results. I have the 55" version and it made zero difference on mine. I still get a good amount of cross talk with the TV set to 0 depth and even lowering the 3D in UC3 to 50%. Originally I had set the PS3 to my 55" screen size. Maybe it's my glasses. I don't know. I am using the Xpand X103 Universal Active Shutter 3D Glasses.
post #1088 of 2042 Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Just to be doubly sure, the crosstalk problem is only for PS3 gaming and not for PS3 blu-ray playback, right?

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1089 of 2042 Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomancer View Post

I just assembled the TV. Am I the only one that cannot tilt the TV backwards as in make it face upwards more?

It says I can tilt it upto 6 degrees in the instructions. But I'm not able to tilt it at all. It's stuck at 0 degrees.

Anyone else having this?

Still found no way to swivel the TV vertically. Horizontal swivel works, just can't make it face upwards. Weird.
post #1090 of 2042 Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Just to be doubly sure, the crosstalk problem is only for PS3 gaming and not for PS3 blu-ray playback, right?

Yes, David... I can attest to this... Games are horrible, always have Cross Talk on EVERY game though some claim that there are a select few that will have lesser Cross Talk.

TO ALL: Nevermind what I've suggested. Must have been an adrenaline rush... because once the game went back to cut scenes it was cross talk galore. This time, the nauseating kind. It was only good IN-GAME. I reverted my settings back to 46".
post #1091 of 2042 Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you CaliCool. I've just received my EX720 today. The stand is so very flimsy that the weight of all input cables (I use all 4 HDMI inputs and 1 Component input) tilt the TV a bit to the left :S

my home theatre

post #1092 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, Josh is the gaming performance (input lag) really poor?

BTW, I wonder if the size of the model would make a difference in the input lag. Like 32" vs 37" or 55".

Yeah, on the 32" US model I'm getting input lag roughly in the 40s range of milliseconds (on 720p and 1080p; 1080p is a bit faster).

Different size models may have different processing, so they may be faster or slower.

Anyway, hopefully this information is useful to someone in this owners' thread.
post #1093 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Thank you CaliCool. I've just received my EX720 today. The stand is so very flimsy that the weight of all input cables (I use all 4 HDMI inputs and 1 Component input) tilt the TV a bit to the left :S

Have fun with the set! And looking forward to your Calibration Settings!
post #1094 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:

TO ALL:

hey calicool u noticed a very good thing..........i was also playing with those settings......and i noticed when selecting screen size 10" on ps3 give a 3d boost..........means it increases 3d effects......and when icreasing the screen size as i increased it to 460" diminishes the 3d efeects.........and if we get some appropriate screen size while increasing or decreasing the sreen size.......the we can adjust 3d settings from tv..........and and get a least crosstalk 3d effect from this set as i tried sreen size 10" from ps3 and 3d depth +2 from tv and 3d sensitivity full at uc3........and i get a nice effect........guys plz play with those settings so we can get few more gud settings.......

i wanna mention one more thing u can play famepacked 3d content directly from pendrive on ex720 on 3.4ga update..........or u can jus convert sbs 3d to frame pack to watch some less ct gud movies.......a sales person gave me frame packed sony demo of 2gb size file format .mp4 and i was surprized when it had been played on my ex720 with less ct.........he promised me that he will give me the converter and if he will........then i will upload that.......
post #1095 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 AM

my screen size is 46" and hav selected my screen size on ps3 as 74" and its doing well at aprrox 70% 3d sensitivity in uncharted 3 i dont see any ct during gameplay.........and it also gave me a decent depth..............try this guys.......and plz reply and suggest few more good settings...........
post #1096 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickeleye View Post

Interesting. I just tried this after reading your results. I have the 55" version and it made zero difference on mine. I still get a good amount of cross talk with the TV set to 0 depth and even lowering the 3D in UC3 to 50%. Originally I had set the PS3 to my 55" screen size. Maybe it's my glasses. I don't know. I am using the Xpand X103 Universal Active Shutter 3D Glasses.

hey man put ur sceen size 85-90 on ps3 i hope this will work coz for me it worked for cod and uc3........try man and i hope you will b satisfied with the 3d............belive me/...thanx to caliecool who has given us the idea.........
post #1097 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 AM

Don't want to interrupt this great thread so as newbie I will just say I am new owner of EX720 and will follow soon with more info
post #1098 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmailer View Post

Don't want to interrupt this great thread so as newbie I will just say I am new owner of EX720 and will follow soon with more info

welcome.......
post #1099 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

Silly question please. Sometimes when I turn on the set the SONY logo appears, sometimes it doesn't. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason determining when it does appear. Does anyone know why it's there sometimes and why not other times? And is there a setting to disable it?

Thanks

Polite bump

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #1100 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM

@Josh: Ah, okay I have the 37" model. Don't have any CRT here or stuff to take input lag measurements.

I've been playing Mortal Kombat 2011 in 1080p on this. I didn't notice any input lag (Game Mode->Standard or Original). Yet to try out some FPSs.

The screen's picture quality is stellar and it's definitely bright enough. In fact I had to notch down the Backlit level.

I'm going to hunt around for what Advanced calibration settings you guys have used just to see how much difference it makes to the settings I currently have.

My only single gripe with this TV is I'm not able to tilt it towards the ceiling. The instructions about being able to tilt it 6 degrees is a lie. But still, I can live with this or arrange it to be slightly higher (to my eye level).

100% satisfied with this TV so far. I also managed to get it a good 65 euros cheaper than amazon's price mainly because the shop was pushing the 40" same model with S2 tuner
post #1101 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

Sure, here you go:

Picture mode: Custom
Backlight: 5
Contrast: Max
Brightness: 53
Color: 54
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 10
Noise reduction: Off
Mpeg noise reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
Film-mode: Off
Black corrector: Medium
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Medium
Gamma: 0
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Medium
Detail/Edge Enhancer: Medium
R Gain: Default
G Gain: Default
B Gain: Default
R Bias Default: Default
G Bias: -2
B Bias :-2

NOTE: I prefer setting Live Color to Medium combined with the slight reduction in Green & Blue Bias rather than setting the Color Temp to Warm 2 because as pleasing as the Warm 2 skin tones are, it also adds a red tint to everything , (most noticeable when watching sports and checking the color of the grass using Warm 2 vs Neutral) and slightly darkens the picture. And I don't use MotionFlow or Film Mode because I use Picture in Picture fairly often and any setting other than OFF for either of those to options causes the picture in the PIP window to be "jerky"

Alan may be a stupid question but where do you access the R Gain and G Bias?
post #1102 of 2042 Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

@Josh: Ah, okay I have the 37" model. Don't have any CRT here or stuff to take input lag measurements.

I've been playing Mortal Kombat 2011 in 1080p on this. I didn't notice any input lag (Game Mode->Standard or Original). Yet to try out some FPSs.

The screen's picture quality is stellar and it's definitely bright enough. In fact I had to notch down the Backlit level.

I'm going to hunt around for what Advanced calibration settings you guys have used just to see how much difference it makes to the settings I currently have.

My only single gripe with this TV is I'm not able to tilt it towards the ceiling. The instructions about being able to tilt it 6 degrees is a lie. But still, I can live with this or arrange it to be slightly higher (to my eye level).

100% satisfied with this TV so far. I also managed to get it a good 65 euros cheaper than amazon's price mainly because the shop was pushing the 40" same model with S2 tuner

Cool! Question: What is the suggested tilt position of the TV? I didn't tilt mine upwards and I'm having no problems as it is within eye level. Do they suggest that it should be slightly higher than eye level?

I'm interested. I'm obsessed over this stuff. In fact, I've moved the position of my speakers for the 6th time and adjusted my viewing distance countless times already!

Allan:

This sure is another anomaly... I'm experiencing the same thing. Will look into it.
post #1103 of 2042 Old 11-23-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGT View Post

Alan may be a stupid question but where do you access the R Gain and G Bias?

Not a stupid question at all. The settings are in the White Balance section of Advanced Settings for Picture Adjustments.

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #1104 of 2042 Old 11-23-2011, 05:33 AM

And by the way, for those of you who want a more "vibrant" picture and colors, you can go to the MAIN MENU - Settings - Picture Setup - Pro Picture - and change the HDMI Dynamic Range for the input in question to "Full". This will provide a brighter, more vibrant picture but will do so at the expense of color accuracy. You will probably either have to go into picture settings and fiddle around with the color and brightness adjustments or just leave the Dynamic Range at "Auto" (the default setting). For those of us who like to "fiddle and test", it's probably worth a look.

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #1105 of 2042 Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have fun with the set! And looking forward to your Calibration Settings!

Something is very weird with this TV. Using my Sencore, when it's fully calibrated, it looks very dull unlike my other 2 displays + 1 projector.

I'll re-do it this weekend to see what's the end result going to be.

my home theatre

post #1106 of 2042 Old 11-23-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7289 View Post

Yeah, on the 32" US model I'm getting input lag roughly in the 40s range of milliseconds (on 720p and 1080p; 1080p is a bit faster).

Different size models may have different processing, so they may be faster or slower.

Anyway, hopefully this information is useful to someone in this owners' thread.

Have you tried turning Off "Edge Enhancer" and "Detail Enhancer" from the "Advanced settings" in Game Mode? It made no real difference to picture quality and for you it probably gains a few milliseconds of lag. Perhaps try this?

Quote:

Cool! Question: What is the suggested tilt position of the TV? I didn't tilt mine upwards and I'm having no problems as it is within eye level. Do they suggest that it should be slightly higher than eye level?

I'm interested. I'm obsessed over this stuff. In fact, I've moved the position of my speakers for the 6th time and adjusted my viewing distance countless times already!

Normally I'd say it should be the eye level so you don't strain your neck, whatever feels naturally as the viewing level.

So this depends not only on your TV position but also your own body position. Sometimes you're arched your back, sometimes sitting straight etc., but generally it should be at eye level AFAIK.

For me at the moment, it's a tad too low, I can obviously fix this by getting a lower chair/sofa or slightly increasing the TV table's height but the other option would be if I could tilt the TV ever so slightly upwards to match the difference in height between the lower-TV and higher sitting position. Not a biggie though.
post #1107 of 2042 Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM

[quote=David Susilo;21248712]Something is very weird with this TV. Using my Sencore, when it's fully calibrated, it looks very dull unlike my other 2 displays + 1 projector. QUOTE]

see post #1082 about turning off the energy saver, it makes a big difference
post #1108 of 2042 Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ghostrider View Post

hey man put ur sceen size 85-90 on ps3 i hope this will work coz for me it worked for cod and uc3........try man and i hope you will b satisfied with the 3d............belive me/...thanx to caliecool who has given us the idea.........

I gave this a shot last night. I think I tried 80" just for fun although I can't remember exactly off-hand. Anyway, after going much larger than the actual screen size, I tried UC3 again. There ended up being a really big difference in crosstalk reduction. I still have to leave the TV's 3D setting to "0", but I was able to turn up the 3D in UC3 to 50-75% without major crosstalk. If I had tried that with the screen size set to anything less than 55" in the PS3 3D setup, I would've had noticeable crosstalk and it bothered me enough to play the game in 2D. With the new settings I played at least a couple of hours in 3D and experienced only minimal crosstalk during gameplay, which really could be easily dismissed during the action of the game. As CaliCool had mentioned previously though, there does seem to still be more crosstalk during segments of the cutscenes that just seem unavoidable. That being said, they're still watchable. I'll probably play around with the settings some more late this week after Thanksgiving.
post #1109 of 2042 Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickeleye View Post

I gave this a shot last night. I think I tried 80" just for fun although I can't remember exactly off-hand. Anyway, after going much larger than the actual screen size, I tried UC3 again. There ended up being a really big difference in crosstalk reduction. I still have to leave the TV's 3D setting to "0", but I was able to turn up the 3D in UC3 to 50-75% without major crosstalk. If I had tried that with the screen size set to anything less than 55" in the PS3 3D setup, I would've had noticeable crosstalk and it bothered me enough to play the game in 2D. With the new settings I played at least a couple of hours in 3D and experienced only minimal crosstalk during gameplay, which really could be easily dismissed during the action of the game. As CaliCool had mentioned previously though, there does seem to still be more crosstalk during segments of the cutscenes that just seem unavoidable. That being said, they're still watchable. I'll probably play around with the settings some more late this week after Thanksgiving.

TO ALL
thanx man for trying my settings........last night i have played cod black ops.....for 2-3 hours in 3d with least crosstalk.............ct is only visible during cutscenes in uncharted 3..............and in few scenes where brirhter objectes lies over the darker bacround but minimal..........

but believe me guys u will see lots n lots of difference in crosstalk..............no need to change any settings from tv or game................

THERE IS A SIMPLE FORMULAE FOR 3D ADJUSTMENT IN PS3............INCREASE THE SCREEN SIZ IN PS3 WILL DECREASE THE CROSS TALK............AND DECREASING THE SCREEN SIZE ON PS3 WILL INCREASE IT................

NOTE- DONT INCREASE THE SCREEN SIZE VERY MUCH COZ IT WILL DIMINISHES THE 3D EFFECT............JUST INCREASING THE SCREEN SIZE BY 30% IN PS3 THAN UR ACTUAL SCREEN SIZE WILL GIVE U THE DECENT 3D EFFECT WITH LEAST CROSSTALK.......
post #1110 of 2042 Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Finally an owner of EX720 set, 32". And regarding input lag, I do not have a CRT other than the old Sony TV I have for my retrogaming collection but I have no known way to connect it to my computer. However in Game - Original and double checking every damn enhancer is off, with gut feeling it feels really snappy, mouse movement and all. Much snappier than my old Samsung.

Not exactly the most accurate way to measure, but movement feels good and fast in hand so I am happy. I also have to give Sony a big plus for making really good Motion Interpolation, motionflo set to clear and film mode Auto 2. Best I have ever seen in my life. Movement is fluid with barely any soap opera effect. Difference between my friends Philips is stunning in this regard. That TV makes every show look like an episode from The Bold And The Beautiful.

With quick adjustments 2D picture is really good too. It however has one downside. Black depth is quite poor, relatively speaking. Eco is off as is light detector. Backlight at 4 it measures, according to my I1 Display 2 colorimeter, 0.09 black depth at rough 120cdm2 brightness at the center. It is deep, but not exactly glorious score for modern *VA panel. Downside of Edge-LED technology I guess? I dont remember the numbers for my old CCFL backlighter Samsung but it was lower than that with higher 140cdm2 brightness. I think it was 0.07.

Enabling eco mode on low does improve black depth but only when the screen is really dark. Obviously since it dims the backlight. Reduces glowing corners too, big plus. But with brighter picture score is noticeably, and measured too, poorer than with Eco mode off. So therefore I leave it off.

I dont get how HDTVTest got so low as 0.05 for blacks, which IS a stellar score. Did they measure it with all black screen with Eco mode on? Real-life blacks with picture on screen is nowhere near that, atleast not on mine.

*edit* What the hell, flatpanelsHD got even lower, 0.03 black depth at 116cdm2 brightness and they say Eco mode is OFF. Is my colorimeter crapping out on me?

*edit* It seems like this TV just requires a bit more work when adjusting. I resetted the default settings, adjusted backlight to more comfortable lever, measured and got 0.07 black on 140 brightness. Same scores as my Samsung. Setting temperature to Warm1 and brightness dropped to 133cdm2 indicating this panels native color temperature is quite cold and requires hefty adjustments to get warm colors, resulting in brightness drop. I have to be really careful now to adjust brightness and contrast settings correctly without increasing blacks.

*edit2* I'm an idiot. Check my next post...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page