The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 2042 Old 02-09-2012, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Oh and you can change the screen size in Settings->Picture->Screen under the Home menu. Most people recommend full pixel, but stuff like this annoys me so I go with Normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2042 Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

Those white spots are a form of "overscan gibberish" that you will see if you watch TV using Full Pixel mode. I see it on AMC, TNT, and Spike. You will see other oddities as well. Most people do not use full pixel so they never see it, and broadcasters assume the same. I use Normal screen size for TV, and actually started doing the same for my Xbox, since Skyrim has a big blue line on the far left in Full Pixel. The first time I noticed this was in Red Dead Redemption, where the top 2 or 3 scanlines were all staticy in Full Pixel. You will also see a big staticy line at the top of the screen for some SD content, like a movie trailer, on an HD station like TNT. You'll know it when you see it.

I am not really sure why Allan keeps trying to shout down our legitimate issues with our sets and pretend they don't exist, but it is hilarious to read.

Kevin,
I've been using Full Pixel for a year and a half with my 60EX700 and have yet to see those dots. Obviously, it's not caused by his TV or yours. The only adverse effect I have seen because of Full Pixel is what you mentioned about the "garbage" line on top of the screen during SD 480i programming. We hardly ever watch anything on SD anyway.

Disclaimer: I am with ATT U-verse, perhaps that may have something to do with it. Also, we never watch any of the stations you mentioned.
post #1533 of 2042 Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Exactly, it is all the fault of the source, NOT THE TV. Most TVs do not even have a full pixel mode (aka 1:1 pixel mapping) so the content creators assume we will not see these things. I think they have some meaning to techies as well. You actually have a good TV if it provides 1:1 pixel mapping.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/27/h...all-tvs-do-it/
post #1534 of 2042 Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
For me its full pixel all the way, i hate knowing what i have been watching has been cropped and zoomed in on, i want to see everything on screen in the best quality i can, if overscan/normal mode is used this isn't going to be the case.

Aaron
post #1535 of 2042 Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM

I've just purchased this set and am still in 'playing around' mode. I'm still working my way through this thread so this might have been answered already but I can't find anything in my searches:

Is there a quick way to get out of internet viewing and back into normal tv?

If there is I can't find one. There's a convenient Internet button on the remote, but not one for TV. There seems to be three or four button presses required to exit out and I'm growing frustrated fumbling around trying to get back to normal TV. I'd like to set up my Harmony One to do this as well.
post #1536 of 2042 Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 AM

A Sony-technician just visited me to examine the 3D Problems the EX720 Series have.

He said he already knew this problem and had to agree that this is not acceptable.

I was showing him Wipeout HD in 3D (native 3D) and others. His conclusion was to contact Sony again to get kind of a compensation, since i dont want to return this TV to the Seller again. At least someone who recognized this Problem.
post #1537 of 2042 Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Has anyone had any luck complaining to Sony and having it "upgraded" to a set that doesn't suck for 3d?
post #1538 of 2042 Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 PM

I'm not satisfied with my EX720. I use sattellite receiver with HDMI cable. I mostly watch SD and HD TV channels.

tingling issue .. there is a lot of tingling and that affects the picture quality.

tingling... I mean that kind of things:

http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/A9/8A59EA...13D5F450BD.jpg

I think that my ex720 defective.
post #1539 of 2042 Old 02-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opua View Post

I'm not satisfied with my EX720. I use sattellite receiver with HDMI cable. I mostly watch SD and HD TV channels.

tingling issue .. there is a lot of tingling and that affects the picture quality.

tingling... I mean that kind of things:

http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/A9/8A59EA...13D5F450BD.jpg

I think that my ex720 defective.

Return it.

Allan
Forum Admin
Tweaks.com
post #1540 of 2042 Old 02-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

Return it.

I can't. Because I have it for months and I am not sure that maybe the issues are not fault the TV maybe my receiver is damaged..

therefore I asked in here..

I watched TV with angles. (30-40 degrees) If I watch opposite on TV this issues reduced or dissappear..

But watching with 30-40 degrees- really problematic.

this might me with my sat. receiver? what do you think?
post #1541 of 2042 Old 02-10-2012, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themgnt View Post

I've just purchased this set and am still in 'playing around' mode. I'm still working my way through this thread so this might have been answered already but I can't find anything in my searches:

Is there a quick way to get out of internet viewing and back into normal tv?

If there is I can't find one. There's a convenient Internet button on the remote, but not one for TV. There seems to be three or four button presses required to exit out and I'm growing frustrated fumbling around trying to get back to normal TV. I'd like to set up my Harmony One to do this as well.

Have you tried pressing the number buttons?
post #1542 of 2042 Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 PM

I just got the ex723 over Xmas. Is there a way to switch youtube videos to high def?
post #1543 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 12:37 AM

Can anyone tell me what I can change in my settings to reduce the aliasing I see in my sony Ex720 tv?
post #1544 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 04:07 AM

Im about to buy 55ex723 but have some questions..

Is the viewing angle really that bad? I have a midlight room.

Im looking for a good 2d performer tv and a good hd tv for my htpc.

3d i dont care if its bad...soo is this set something for me u think?

Regards// SweViking
post #1545 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Hi everyone,

My first post here. I got myself a 46" ex720 a couple of months ago. With a few tweaks to the settings mentioned earlier in this thread I'm satisfied withe the 2D (at this pricerange).

However.. With 3D, I'm with you guys. It's not exceptional.

*I must give you a little tip though. Not in any way supporting piracy, but if your source is your computer - make sure you go for the highest quality version of the movie you can find. I experienced a huge difference with biterate.

I tried a couple of 1080p half SBS .mkv:s (720p merged). Some that were around 6-10GB and some that were 12-20GB. There is a HUGE difference! Even though the resolution is the same, the biterate makes a very significant difference in crosstalk.

Crosstalk definitely worsens sitting closer to the TV, but sitting a bit further away (than the recommended distance) from the TV, and biterate around 20Mbps or higher (audio track excluded) makes it MUCH better.

I guess Blu-ray is the preferred source, but if you're a bit of a cheapskate or suffering from a student economy like me, I recommend only watching your high quality mkv:s/mp4:s.

Watched "IMAX: Under The Sea" the other day. It was more than acceptable. Very little crosstalk with the prerequisites above. I must warn you, when the water snakes comes at you..

/The Swede
post #1546 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweViking View Post

Im about to buy 55ex723 but have some questions..

Is the viewing angle really that bad? I have a midlight room.

Im looking for a good 2d performer tv and a good hd tv for my htpc.

3d i dont care if its bad...soo is this set something for me u think?

Regards// SweViking

I'd say so broder

It's hard to find much better at this price range. I think it does a very decent job with 2d.

If you have a laptop PC and don't want to hook it up all the time you can use the USB port. I use it all the time for TV-series.The problem is though, that the USB is optimized for fat32. Even though it reads exFAT, files bigger than 4GB wont play. It doesn't read .mkv:s either unfortunately. Hopefully Sony will get a grip and solve it in the next firmware update.

Other than that, I think it's good value for your money.
post #1547 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 07:32 AM

I see thanks for the info!

How is the viewing angle?

And what about the blacks?
post #1548 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweViking View Post

I see thanks for the info!

How is the viewing angle?

And what about the blacks?

Both are at what you could expect at this price range. I have no complaints about the viewing angle with a big corner sofa surrounding it. Clouding/ghosting however, is definitely visible when put to it's test. Follow the tips in this thread to make it better.
post #1549 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwide View Post

Both are at what you could expect at this price range. I have no complaints about the viewing angle with a big corner sofa surrounding it. Clouding/ghosting however, is definitely visible when put to it's test. Follow the tips in this thread to make it better.

I see..well ive had a sony earlier and some tweaking made the clouding go away so thats not gonna be a prob I think..or is cloading so bad as in samsung 7-8 series???

Well maby I go for this one then...

Btw, is the menu like ps3 a crossbar?
post #1550 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM

The menu is a variation on the traditional crossbar. Instead of a scroll in the middle of the screen, it is at the bottom with the expansion on the right side. There is a screen picture window on the left. A pic of the menu is below. When opening up the pictures settings, etc, it is very traditional like the menus that pop out of the old XMB. Sony cleverly calls this new graphical user interface "new gui" in the specs.

As for the clouding - it is all about the TV you get. Some have a lot, some have very little. Also, it depends on your viewing conditions (light, dark). Mine has little - if I turn off all the lights in the room I can see brighter areas at the bottom of the screen. It will increase if I move off-angle. Good news is I never watch this TV in a dark room so it is totally irrelevant. I have seen TV's with much worse across all brands.

post #1551 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks m8 for the info! I have a midlight room soo I have no worries. Got more screen pics?
post #1552 of 2042 Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM

Liked: 12
I'm still trying to find a replacement tube for my outdated Sony CRT and I wanted to ask EX720 owners a question.

Is this the best current semi-matte display out there? I've read a ton of reviews and viewed a a lot of tvs in store, and I'm not sure I like Samsung's glossy displays or the thick gorilla glass of the high end Sony LEDs. I know LG and Vizio have matte LED displays, but there PQ aren't very good IMO. I looked at LG's 5600, and it definitely has lag and trailing issues, even compared with the EX720. I looked at them side by side in one store and the EX720 & NX720 as well.

I thought the EX720 looked better than the NX or LGs 5600. I have the budget to buy the best model, but I don't think I like any of them. I hate to wait another year to get a replacement tv, so I think this might be my best option.

For reference, I really like the PQ of Sammy's D8000 model, but the super glossy display may be a deal breaker. I recently bought 37" Panny LED and like it, at least for bedroom viewing. Supposedly Panasonic is coming out with 55" this year, but who knows what they'll be like or if their displays will be glossy.

Btw, any advice on getting this tv at a good price? I'm still waiting for the price to bottom out, and no I don't live near a Frys.

Anyways, anyone care to help me out whether the semi-matte display is say is less reflective/annoying than the glossy or gorilla glass? Or should I just get over it, and get a the model with the best PQ?
post #1553 of 2042 Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 AM

Hi swolfcg,

A good question indeed. I was toying with the idea of upgrading my 40EX720, maybe to a 46NX720, or even a 55HX820 (at a very good deal).

Spent some time again in stores, to observe if the extra price was worth it. Especially, check the colors, as I could read that the NX and HX were somehow better than the EX in this area.

Had the 3 sets aside, and honestly, I couldn't see a big difference. All sets were set in dynamic mode (sigh -as often in store), and I found that the 55EX720 (PVA) in demo was performing fine against the others.

Now, I also read that the NX720 had excellent blacks, and this could make a big difference if watch movies in a dark room. The EX720 is just fine in this area.
Personnally, I always keep an ambient light when watching TV in the evening, so I am not sure the improvement would worth twice the price.

Attached to my message, some exemples pictures:
1-55EX720 (left) against 55NX720 (right)
2-46HX820 (left) against 55EX720 (right)
3-my 40EX720(PVA) at home

Obviously, no conclusion can be made from theses pictures (especially with this low quality), it is just a very relative overview.
LL
LL
LL
post #1554 of 2042 Old 02-12-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophane View Post

Hi swolfcg,

A good question indeed. I was toying with the idea of upgrading my 40EX720, maybe to a 46NX720, or even a 55HX820 (at a very good deal).

Spent some time again in stores, to observe if the extra price was worth it. Especially, check the colors, as I could read that the NX and HX were somehow better than the EX in this area.

Had the 3 sets aside, and honestly, I couldn't see a big difference. All sets were set in dynamic mode (sigh -as often in store), and I found that the 55EX720 (PVA) in demo was performing fine against the others.

Now, I also read that the NX720 had excellent blacks, and this could make a big difference if watch movies in a dark room. The EX720 is just fine in this area.
Personnally, I always keep an ambiance light when wathching TV in the evening, so I am not sure the improvement would worth twice the price.

Attached to my message, some exemples pictures:
1-55EX720 (left) against 55NX720 (right)
2-46HX820 (left) against 55EX720 (right)
3-my 40EX720(PVA) at home

Obviously, no conclusion could be made from theses pictures (especially with this low quality), it is just a very relative overview.

Thanks a bunch for the response and the comparison. At this point I'm learning hard towards this tv, either in 55 or 60". I better decide quick b/c they seem to be running out of stock everywhere. BB is now sold out online and all stores in the 1 1/2hr radius. The only option left is taking a chance with HHGregg (they are shady bunch), or online.

Option two would be to wait for the 2012 and pay about full price, but who knows any will be to my liking or semi-matte. Does anyone else not like the super glossy Samsung displays? They remind me of my old CRT and looks unrealistic, but the PQ is incredible.

I just put up my old entertainment center and Sony tv up on fleabay for .99, so hopefully I'll have room for a new tv a couple of weeks.
post #1555 of 2042 Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Well, if you have the budget and are searching for a spectular TV, why not have look to the HX929?
If you tolerate some blooming off-angles due to local dimming, this set should please you as it delivers one of the best and punchy picture out there.

It is difficult for me to advice a Samsung LCD.
Each time I am giving a peak at a Sammy set, i find the render explosive and impressive. But in the end, I always get bothered by the colours, especially the flesh tones. This is a very personnal impress though.
post #1556 of 2042 Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophane View Post

Well, if you have the budget and are searching for a spectular TV, why not have look to the HX929?
If you tolerate some blooming off-angles due to local dimming, this set should please you as it delivers one of the best and punchy picture out there.

It is difficult for me to advice a Samsung LCD.
Each time I am giving a peak at a Sammy set, i find the render explosive and impressive. But in the end, I always get bothered by the colours, especially the flesh tones. This is a very personnal impress though.

The HX has gorilla glass, which isn't bad compared to Samsung's Glossy displays, but it's still pretty reflective. Since it's the end of the year, I might be able to swing a good deal on a HX929. I don't expect for spectacular on the EX720, but I do expect a really great SD picture, at least with a BD movie. I don't plan on using the 3D feature, but it would be nice to have it, just in case. I have the budget, but do I really want to spend that much on the HX or I could get a 60" EX720 for less. It isn't like this is an investment, which actually heard someone describe their new tv purchase. If I decide to upgrade, I will more likely have to give away my used tv.

In any case, I looked at the HX929 and I wasn't extremely impressed. Not for the asking price.
post #1557 of 2042 Old 02-12-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

Have you tried pressing the number buttons?

I figured it out. Pressing the Input button (i use a cable box). Seems obvious now, but I was looking for a way to Exit the application and it clouded my logic.
post #1558 of 2042 Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

Anyways, anyone care to help me out whether the semi-matte display is say is less reflective/annoying than the glossy or gorilla glass? Or should I just get over it, and get a the model with the best PQ?

New owner here.

It depends on your room, I would think. Mine is in a family room with the kitchen behind me. With this semi-matte display I can still see slight halos from the under-cabinet kitchen lighting in the evenings, and slight mirroring of the kitchen during a sunny day during darker scenes of programs. I know if this were a glass screen these reflections would be much worse and I'd hate the thing. The matte screen was a major consideration for me.

Someone asked about viewing angle. I'm a little on the edge here. I sit directly across from the tv, while my wife sits on a sofa perpendicular to the side of the TV (seating arranged like an L). When I first got this set I plugged in the calibration settings from flatpanelshd and found the image more natural but there was a slight whiteness to the picture. My wife complained strongly about how washed out the picture was, and she's not on that wide of a viewing angle.

I've switched back to the default settings, which give a more vibrant picture and the whitening is lessened. But even when I sit in my wife's spot and there is, say, a window-boxed commercial on, there is a clear difference between the right side box (solid black) and the left side box (washed out black) to the point of annoyance to my perfectionist mind. However, during a normal program this really isn't as noticeable - only during blackness.

I'll get used to the viewing angle, 3D is of no interest to me so I don't care how crappy it is, the reflectiveness of the screen is important to me, and I was looking to spend under $2k so I'm mostly happy with the purchase. I paid $1799 at the Sony Outlet and it included a 3D starter kit of two glasses and a movie (the kids have an interest in the 3D) and a wifi adapter.
post #1559 of 2042 Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21638305

Here's something that may help some of us with the 3D problem. Maybe if they could make a standalone converter (or a software one for the TV thru an update) then I'd be happy.
post #1560 of 2042 Old 02-13-2012, 04:32 PM

I was thisclose to buying the 60EX720 today at HHgregg for $1799. But alas, the manager was a total jerk and I couldn't bring myself to buy from him, even at great price. When will the prices start dropping on this thing?

Btw, I saw a couple of 2012 Samsungs while I was there (EH4000 & EH6000) and they both had a semi-matte/matte finish on the display. I thought I would mention it, even if this is a Sony thread.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page