The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 2044 Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just spoke to a Tier 2 Sony rep given to me thru the I Have a Defective Sony TV facebook page (awesome sony custserv people there), and he was telling me there are 3 kinds of 3D encodes- side by side, top and bottom, and frame packing. Sony uses frame packing for their blu ray and PS3. It is possible their codec/translation for side by side (all i can test) is poor, and their MAY be a software patch to fix it. This may explain why we have different opinions of the 3D. I did notice my TV does not auto switch to 3D when it gets the side by side signal, so maybe it DOES only truly handle the frame pack version.

Can someone with a PS3 and a 360 try this? Or at least post how it looks using Sony to Sony? Specifically, see if you note double vision effects at the top and bottom of your screen using side-by-side. Or if anyone has a top/bottom or frame pack input, try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2044 Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

I just spoke to a Tier 2 Sony rep given to me thru the I Have a Defective Sony TV facebook page (awesome sony custserv people there), and he was telling me there are 3 kinds of 3D encodes- side by side, top and bottom, and frame packing. Sony uses frame packing for their blu ray and PS3. It is possible their codec/translation for side by side (all i can test) is poor, and their MAY be a software patch to fix it. This may explain why we have different opinions of the 3D. I did notice my TV does not auto switch to 3D when it gets the side by side signal, so maybe it DOES only truly handle the frame pack version.

Can someone with a PS3 and a 360 try this? Or at least post how it looks using Sony to Sony? Specifically, see if you note double vision effects at the top and bottom of your screen using side-by-side. Or if anyone has a top/bottom or frame pack input, try that.

I have a PS3 connected to it and when I play anything in 3D the TV automatically goes into 3D mode and doesn't give me the option to pick side by side or top and bottom.... Everything in 3D with my ps3 looks horribly doubled.
post #153 of 2044 Old 06-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Go to the facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have...V/182875766612

and tell them about it. Be nice tho. They will help you out right away, and maybe if enough of us have this issue, they will fix it. They got me in touch with a "Tier 2 rep" who claimed he was talking to an engineer, so if you do the same, maybe we can make their tech guys aware of the issue.
post #154 of 2044 Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM

do you think the ex720 model will support the new split screen free multi player 3d content for the playstation three that was shown at this years e3 a few days ago ?
post #155 of 2044 Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Advice please - I'm new to this forum. I'm about to purchase a 46" LED 3D TV. I'm torn between the NX810 and the EX723. Your comments on PQ will be appreciated. I'll also post this on the 810 thread. Thanks.
post #156 of 2044 Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 AM

I thought my 3D was getting better as a result of playing from my htpc instead of ps3, but this also seems like a disappointment now. I watched the Tangled lantern scene last night and was utterly disappointed. Could barely even tell it was displaying 3D, were it not for the blurred and ghosted lanterns in the background. Turned off cinemotion and motionplus, but still the same disappointing quality.
post #157 of 2044 Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkreply View Post

I thought my 3D was getting better as a result of playing from my htpc instead of ps3, but this also seems like a disappointment now. I watched the Tangled lantern scene last night and was utterly disappointed. Could barely even tell it was displaying 3D, were it not for the blurred and ghosted lanterns in the background. Turned off cinemotion and motionplus, but still the same disappointing quality.

I have really been getting on Sony hard for this, ive been emailing them, talking to them on facebook, I have now talked to 9 different reps, I have talked to a Sony Authorized repair company, I have talked to them in online chat and over the phone. I refuse for this issue to not be fixed and if they can't fix it, I want them to give me a TV that does fix it.
post #158 of 2044 Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Basically my theory is still holding up, if the TV was supposed to look like crap in 3D, why would they recommend getting it repaired?

Hi Cody,

Good Afternoon! Thank you again for contacting SonyListens.

I would recommend having the unit repaired via an authorized service center. If they run into difficulties getting parts or something else, let us know and we can see if we can help.

Thank you,

Scott Fuentes (cvc1)

Sr. Customer Support Representative

Social Media Advanced Resolution Team

Post Sales Support and Promotions

Sony Electronics Inc.

sonylistens@am.sony.com
post #159 of 2044 Old 06-10-2011, 07:11 PM

I have the option to buy a 55EX720 or 46HX729 from Sony for a significant discount due to my 42A10 having a bad optical block. The room the TV is in has quite a few windows and so glare may be an issue with glossier screens. I don't have any glare issues with the A10. I have seen a lot of reviews on the EX720 that seem to be both positive and negative but none currently on the HX. Would the extra size outweigh the added benefits of the HX (true 240hz, wifi connectivity, dynamic LED with local dimming)?

For reference purposes: The seating arrangement in my room has the TV anywhere from 6.5' to 10' from the TV. Most of the stuff I watch is through DirecTV (movies, sports, etc.). There would also be an Xbox connected which I play occasionally. I would like to add a Blu-ray with 3d capability because I am intrigued by the feature.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I only have a few days left to make a decision. Thanks for the help and suggestions!
post #160 of 2044 Old 06-10-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackgo413 View Post

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I only have a few days left to make a decision. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

If you can live with the smaller screen size, I would be seriously tempted by the better Motion Flow and Dynamic Edge Back Lighting on the hx729. Otherwise, they seem very similar. I would expect black levels to be a little better on the hx729 as long as the dynamic edge lighting is transparent. There might be a difference in Motion Flow performance on a Blu-Ray 3D source, where the ex720 has a 3:2 type cadence during vertical/horizontal pans, the hx729 might be more like the hx929 which is perfectly smooth.

Our viewing distances from the 46hx929 in our family room is about the same as your setup. In this regard the 46" size has been perfect for us.

If you really want the extra screen size, I still think the ex720 delivers a great picture with a little tweaking and care to avoid some of the features like detail enhancement, advanced contrast, and turning down the sharpness on noisy/grainy source images. This would be just as true for the hx729 although the dynamic edge light might deliver in some additional ways.

If you can see both displays locally in the next few days, check out 3D performance between the two. That might the deciding factor for you.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #161 of 2044 Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

If you can live with the smaller screen size, I would be seriously tempted by the better Motion Flow and Dynamic Edge Back Lighting on the hx729. Otherwise, they seem very similar. I would expect black levels to be a little better on the hx729 as long as the dynamic edge lighting is transparent. There might be a difference in Motion Flow performance on a Blu-Ray 3D source, where the ex720 has a 3:2 type cadence during vertical/horizontal pans, the hx729 might be more like the hx929 which is perfectly smooth.

Our viewing distances from the 46hx929 in our family room is about the same as your setup. In this regard the 46" size has been perfect for us.

If you really want the extra screen size, I still think the ex720 delivers a great picture with a little tweaking and care to avoid some of the features like detail enhancement, advanced contrast, and turning down the sharpness on noisy/grainy source images. This would be just as true for the hx729 although the dynamic edge light might deliver in some additional ways.

If you can see both displays locally in the next few days, check out 3D performance between the two. That might the deciding factor for you.

I would love to be able to see the HX in person but I can't find a retailer near me that carries it. I saw the EX already but they did not have a 3d feed to the TV but it definitely looked like TV's have come along way since A10.
post #162 of 2044 Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackgo413 View Post

The room the TV is in has quite a few windows and so glare may be an issue with glossier screens.

I just saw the HX729 models for the first time this evening at a Sony Style store, and they have glossy screens.
post #163 of 2044 Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Is the HX729 or NX810 more glossy than a EX720 or EX723? I haven't been able to do a side-by-side).

Also, how does the EX720 or 723 handle commercials where they turn up the volume? (dang, thats annoying)

Thanks
post #164 of 2044 Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsamsony View Post
Is the HX729 or NX810 more glossy than a EX720 or EX723? I haven't been able to do a side-by-side).

Also, how does the EX720 or 723 handle commercials where they turn up the volume? (dang, thats annoying)

Thanks
The EX720 has a matte screen, and I presume the EX723 does as well. The HX729 is glossy. I don't think I've seen an NX810 yet, so I don't know.
post #165 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 AM

Does anyone else have problems with clouding on their screen when an all black image is displayed?
post #166 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

Does anyone else have problems with clouding on their screen when an all black image is displayed?

I just got one of these sets, 46 inch, about a week ago. I don't notice any clouding, but I do notice some backlight bleed in the the lower left and right corner if the settings aren't toned down a bit. So far, the setting I find that suppresses this the most is the black corrector, either low or medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLC View Post

The EX720 has a matte screen, and I presume the EX723 does as well. The HX729 is glossy. I don't think I've seen an NX810 yet, so I don't know.

I wouldn't call the ex720 a matte screen exactly. To me, a matte screen would be something like what I had before, a kdf-e2000. Another matte screen would be an HP LP2475W computer monitor. The ex720 reflects the environment quite a bit, but it's blurred or softened. I almost got the HX729 instead, (maybe I should have, because I could have gotten it for about 110 more than the EX720) and it reflects pretty much the same as the ex720. The difference is the HX729 has reflections that are much sharper and defined.
post #167 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncann View Post

I wouldn't call the ex720 a matte screen exactly. To me, a matte screen would be something like what I had before, a kdf-e2000. Another matte screen would be an HP LP2475W computer monitor. The ex720 reflects the environment quite a bit, but it's blurred or softened. I almost got the HX729 instead, (maybe I should have, because I could have gotten it for about 110 more than the EX720) and it reflects pretty much the same as the ex720. The difference is the HX729 has reflections that are much sharper and defined.

I agree that the EX720 isn't as matte as LCD TVs were 4 or 5 years ago, but it seemed to be about as matte as my XBR6 (2008) or maybe a little less. Compared with typical LCD TVs in production nowadays, I think most people would classify the EX720 as matte. I haven't seen any other current Sony TV models that look more matte than the EX720. The HX729 seemed to be definitely in the "glossy" category, from what I saw in the showroom. I spent a lot of time comparing the two and concluded that the HX729's reflections were much more distracting than the EX720.
post #168 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Liked: 16
My 40ex720 is out for delivery today. I'll be calibrating it based off the settings I've found below.

Flat Panels HD Picture Settings-

Picture mode: Custom
Backlight 5
Contrast 89
Brightness: 57
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temperature Warm2
Noise reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Motionflow On
Film-mode Auto 1/Auto 2
Black corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma 0
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Colour Off
Detail/Edge enhancer Off
R Gain -10
G Gain -9
B Gain 0
R Bias -2
G Bias -1
B Bias +1

Cnet Picture Settings

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Setting Memory: [any]
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 2
Picture: 95
Brightness: 54
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

--Advanced Settings menu--
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: +1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]
i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

--White Balance menu--
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: -2
B-Bias: -2

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #169 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 AM

I'm not a TV expert, but I am a crazy gamer. I bought this TV because I was led to believe it has low input lag. Well, mine came in the mail a few weeks ago, and it's good to know that I was told true: the input lag on this TV is quite acceptable for gaming.

I play twitchy, timing-dependent games like shooters and platformers, and I can't detect any noticeable lag on my 360 or PS3. I haven't done any quantitative lag tests, though. I'm using settings similar to the CNET settings at the start of this thread.

It's also a pretty nice looking TV, much nicer than my old Samsung plasma, so I can wholeheartedly recommend it.
post #170 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkface View Post

I'm not a TV expert, but I am a crazy gamer. I bought this TV because I was led to believe it has low input lag. Well, mine came in the mail a few weeks ago, and it's good to know that I was told true: the input lag on this TV is quite acceptable for gaming.

I play twitchy, timing-dependent games like shooters and platformers, and I can't detect any noticeable lag on my 360 or PS3. I haven't done any quantitative lag tests, though. I'm using settings similar to the CNET settings at the start of this thread.

It's also a pretty nice looking TV, much nicer than my old Samsung plasma, so I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Ive never been able to feel input lag with a gamepad, you need a mouse and keyboard to really tell if its there.
post #171 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM
RAP

Looking for some input. Have an R50XBR getting replaced by Sony trade.
Initial offer 55EX710, I didn't pull the trigger right away because I didn't want last year's model and now it's not available.
Offered 55EX500 - bottom of the line or 60EX720.
I don't really care about 3D, but I do want a great 2D picture and I like the other featured.
ANy thoughts?
Thank you.
post #172 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Ive never been able to feel input lag with a gamepad, you need a mouse and keyboard to really tell if its there.

Have you only bought Sony TV's? Just wondering because I was scared away from the current D series of Samsungs due to the laggy-ness noticed when using a controller.

Q9450 @ 3.4GHZ| Asus P5Q Pro| EVGA GTX 280| Corsair Dominator (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066| Corsair 620HX| Vista Ultimate x64| Antec P182
post #173 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Liked: 16
I would like to report very good impressions in the first hour of viewing my 40 EX720. Flashlighting and Clouding is not detectable so far. The picture dialed in beautifully with Cnets picture settings. I appreciate a good vibrant pic on the Warm 2 setting. The only thing I changed myself is sharpness, I put it at 25. I also feel like the tv has a very good processor, it is very comfortable on my eyes to watch quick moving scenes. Next test, Xbox 360.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #174 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic54 View Post

Have you only bought Sony TV's? Just wondering because I was scared away from the current D series of Samsungs due to the laggy-ness noticed when using a controller.

Ive had all Sony's and 1 Sharp.
post #175 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Sony is replacing my TV after all the issues ive had with clouding and 3D
post #176 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 PM

I just set up my 46" EX720... Great TV!

I am having a problem setting up my Vizio VSB200 Soundbar... The soundbar supports optical audio (PCM). Is there a setting I need to change on the Sony TV?

Argh.
Thx
post #177 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sony is replacing my TV after all the issues ive had with clouding and 3D

Very very happy to hear that nikonosis. 3D is not crappy at all with d set, I assure you.

May I know which settings you use though? I havent zeroed in on anything yet.

The minimal problem that Im having, Im not content with black level if Light Sensor is off. Especially when all the lights are out, an all black screen its ugly.

Maybe CNET will give me peace of mind. Will just try their settings.
post #178 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 PM

I also have a Vizio VSB200 Soundbar with my kdl-40ex723 I had to plug the sound bar into the audio out on the side of the tv because with the optical audio i could not control the volume of the soundbar with the tv remote i had to use the soundbar remote.So i just connected to the tvs audio out and now the tv volume controls the soundbar volume. If you find a way to get the optical audio out to work with just the tv remote let me know.
post #179 of 2044 Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 PM

I am considering the purchase of a 55EX720. My wife and kids watch Netflix a LOT. Has anyone experienced issues with Netflix playback? I understand the Samsung D series has issues with stuttering/blinking/buffering during playback. I would assume that a TV with a dedicated Netflix button on the remote should playback Netflix extremely well.
post #180 of 2044 Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM

Main Event- If you are using this TV for gaming, you should use Game-Original and be sure to set i/p conversion to Speed (this does nothing for progressive signals tho, only interlaced). There should be next to no lag. I noticed a big difference between my old TV and this one when it comes to controller responsiveness. 3D will increase lag significantly.

Niko, I fiddled with 3D more lately and will post my findings in a bit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page