The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 69 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey, 

I haven't gotten to wade through all 60+ pages of comments but I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. 

I have a 2011 Bravia KDL-40EX720 and it is starting to not have any power.

I go to turn it on and I get no action.

There is no red light, no green light.
Nothing.

Then I will unplug it from the wall or surge protector for a few hours and then it starts working fine. I had a friend look at it but it wouldn't repeat the problem for him. And when I got it home afterwards it worked well for few days then today it started back up with the same problem again.

How do I fix this. It can't be overheating as it hadn't been used overnight. Do I have to unplug it from the wall/surge protector every time I stop using it ?

Is this a common problem?

I'd love for some help with this.

Also if it is a part that needs to be replaced, can someone give me model numbers for those replacement parts?  

Thank you .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 08:25 PM

raise tv stand

Does anyone know if its possible to raise the tv from the stand it sits on?
I bought a soundbar, but if I put it infront of the TV it blocks the remote sensor for the TV.

I need to raise the TV up about 3-4 inches, but I don't think this stand that comes with it does that.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:30 PM
awp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My father has this model and just replaced it with a 4K Samsung. He was having issues with it changing to a green color and even replaced cables thinking that was the issue. Said it happened about 4-5 times a month and would go back to normal, but I'm wondering if this a common issue or could be the start of a larger problem. I've read some horror stories about these TVs starting to go after about 1.5 years.

So I'm wondering if I should bother to take it. I live 4.5 hours away so not sure I'd it's worth it, especially when I've heard they usually cost more to fix than they're worth.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 PM

A software update just appeared: PKG4.025AAA

Probably just a stability/internet update.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM

hi

I measured the standby power consumption of my 40EX721 and is doing 25w shutdown and after 10min lowers to 12w, but remains there forever.... since specs indicate 0.3w standby consumption, what can be happening?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM

Liked: 0
I am facing a screen/display problem with my SONY KDL32EX720. It powers ON fine, No RED LIGHT BLINKS, sound works but no picture. Display shows white vertical lines.
While cleaning the LED screen, i sprinkled little water as screen was dirty. Slight water drops might have dripped through the front screen.
What could be the problem ?
I powered OFF the TV since.
TWO days have passed & have left TV to dry but still doesnt show proper DISPLAY.
I have attached a photo of the problem.
Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141022_224643.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	324986  
Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM

I am facing a screen/display problem with my SONY KDL32EX720. It powers ON fine, No RED LIGHT BLINKS, sound works but no picture. Display shows white vertical lines.
While cleaning the LED screen, i sprinkled little water as screen was dirty. Slight water drops might have dripped through the front screen.
What could be the problem ?
I powered OFF the TV since.
TWO days have passed & have left TV to dry but still doesnt show proper DISPLAY.
I have attached a photo of the problem.
Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141022_224643.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	324994  
Old 12-08-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are there any recalls on this TV?

Mine keeps rebooting one me....
Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec1jk View Post
They changed mine for this reason when it was still under warranty but few months later, issue reappeared.

I noticed that it only reboots when the ethernet cable is plugged so I leave it unplugged most of the time (I don't use it with internet connected services).
Old 12-09-2014, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec1jk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaudet View Post
They changed mine for this reason when it was still under warranty but few months later, issue reappeared.

I noticed that it only reboots when the ethernet cable is plugged so I leave it unplugged most of the time (I don't use it with internet connected services).
I believe the issue is with the software/firmware and is triggered by a signal it is receiving (not sure if its from CAT5/6 or Coax or both), gets confused on and reboots to clear the error. If you go into the service menu on the tv, the count for the Watchdog timer increases by 1 each time.

I've had this problem on my original EX720 tv, had the main board replaced by SONY - still rebooted, had the tv replaced by SONY (same model)- still rebooted, and even had the tv replaced by SONY (different model) - and it still rebooted. I've also seen the TV of a family member who has SONY model, one model year newer, and is different than either one I have had also reboot randomly.

It definitely isn't isolated to this tv model. I personally don't think its anything to be overly worried about. It's more of a inconvenience than anything, which rarely happens. And when it does happen, it's usually within the first 10 minutes of turning it on.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post
I believe the issue is with the software/firmware and is triggered by a signal it is receiving (not sure if its from CAT5/6 or Coax or both), gets confused on and reboots to clear the error. If you go into the service menu on the tv, the count for the Watchdog timer increases by 1 each time.

I've had this problem on my original EX720 tv, had the main board replaced by SONY - still rebooted, had the tv replaced by SONY (same model)- still rebooted, and even had the tv replaced by SONY (different model) - and it still rebooted. I've also seen the TV of a family member who has SONY model, one model year newer, and is different than either one I have had also reboot randomly.

It definitely isn't isolated to this tv model. I personally don't think its anything to be overly worried about. It's more of a inconvenience than anything, which rarely happens. And when it does happen, it's usually within the first 10 minutes of turning it on.

Thanks for the detailled info
Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaudet View Post
Thanks for the detailled info
New software downloaded last night, (PKG4.027AAA) maybe it'll help your problem
Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy View Post
New software downloaded last night, (PKG4.027AAA) maybe it'll help your problem
Great thanks !
Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 AM

Any idea what this latest software update was for?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPSU View Post
Any idea what this latest software update was for?
Name: PKG4.027EUA
Date released: 11/12/2014
Do I need to update?: Your firmware may already be up to date, especially if you have a new Bravia TV model. If you're not sure, it' it's easy to check which version of firmware you have follow these instructions to check it.
Benefits and improvements:
This update enables TLS1.0 to ensure the security of internet applications, and improves the already existing SSL3.0
Restrictions: only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.

Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX720, Sony BDP-S480, Pioneer VSX-521-K, LaCie mini HD connect.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Recent update

Quote:
Originally Posted by venejo View Post
Name: PKG4.027EUA
Date released: 11/12/2014
Do I need to update?: Your firmware may already be up to date, especially if you have a new Bravia TV model. If you're not sure, it' it's easy to check which version of firmware you have follow these instructions to check it.
Benefits and improvements:
This update enables TLS1.0 to ensure the security of internet applications, and improves the already existing SSL3.0
Restrictions: only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Mine is a USA TV, and an update was installed a few days ago.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPSU View Post
Mine is a USA TV, and an update was installed a few days ago.
If the version is the same then so the changelist. Only some customization and languages differ between regions.

Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX720, Sony BDP-S480, Pioneer VSX-521-K, LaCie mini HD connect.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
If the version is the same then so the changelist. Only some customization and languages differ between regions.
Yep. Mine shows PKG4.027AAA.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:40 PM

I have a Sony KDL46EX720 tv purchased March 2011 that worked fine until recently, when it would not allow me to watch an internet movie without updating the software (dec 13, 2014 release). I attempted to do this via the Internet and it would not update. Gave me error code 2103. Network and Internet connection were fine via U-verse. So I tried manual upgrade, even purchasing specific Sony flash drive to do the upgrade. Reformatted it per instructions on Sony website. Unable to do the update despite repeated attempts. TV does recognize that a USB flash drive is connected, but no upgrade messages appear. When I attempt to do software upgrade via the TV menus, it will not upgrade at all. No idea what to do next...Sony won't help me. Cannot watch internet movies at all - tv requires upgrade. Advice?
Old 01-02-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvornottv View Post
I have a Sony KDL46EX720 tv purchased March 2011 that worked fine until recently, when it would not allow me to watch an internet movie without updating the software (dec 13, 2014 release). I attempted to do this via the Internet and it would not update. Gave me error code 2103. Network and Internet connection were fine via U-verse. So I tried manual upgrade, even purchasing specific Sony flash drive to do the upgrade. Reformatted it per instructions on Sony website. Unable to do the update despite repeated attempts. TV does recognize that a USB flash drive is connected, but no upgrade messages appear. When I attempt to do software upgrade via the TV menus, it will not upgrade at all. No idea what to do next...Sony won't help me. Cannot watch internet movies at all - tv requires upgrade. Advice?
You don't need any special USB stick even a small one but formatted as FAT/FAT32 will do.
All you need to do is to copy the directory and the file inside it as is from the zip file you've downloaded. If you're ok so far all you need to do is to insert it when the tv is on and if there is no other problem it should say that it found an upgrade and if you're ok to upgrade.
The only thing that I don't know is that if you are on a very old firmware version like PKG2xxxx and it cannot update directly to the latest PKG4xxxx versions.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
You don't need any special USB stick even a small one but formatted as FAT/FAT32 will do.
All you need to do is to copy the directory and the file inside it as is from the zip file you've downloaded. If you're ok so far all you need to do is to insert it when the tv is on and if there is no other problem it should say that it found an upgrade and if you're ok to upgrade.
The only thing that I don't know is that if you are on a very old firmware version like PKG2xxxx and it cannot update directly to the latest PKG4xxxx versions.
Thank you. I formatted the USB stick as FAT32 as you note but it did not work (did this several times and all failed). My current software version is PKG3.808AAA which I think (?) is the most recent before the Dec 13, 2014 upgrade that is failing.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvornottv View Post
Thank you. I formatted the USB stick as FAT32 as you note but it did not work (did this several times and all failed). My current software version is PKG3.808AAA which I think (?) is the most recent before the Dec 13, 2014 upgrade that is failing.
Not quite. There where many updates in the PKG4.XXXX series. I remember PGK4.027AAA(latest) 026, 025, 024, 022, etc. If you're willing, try to do a factory reset and try with the update again, just in case...

Old 03-12-2015, 04:55 PM

Apparently YouTube support is being dropped from the EX720 (and other models) as of next week. Next to the app is the following message:

"This app will be unavailable after 20/04/2015." Please visit youtube.com/devicesupport."

Rather disappointing, I've only had my 55EX720 three years and already some of its built-in features are being phased out. My Rovi guide still works, although I wonder if that won't be next as I've had recent trouble with updates (lost my guide for 3 days!) and noticing missing guide information.

Any word if a future firmware update might bring YouTube back?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple IIGS View Post
Apparently YouTube support is being dropped from the EX720 (and other models) as of next week. Next to the app is the following message:

"This app will be unavailable after 20/04/2015." Please visit youtube.com/devicesupport."

Rather disappointing, I've only had my 55EX720 three years and already some of its built-in features are being phased out. My Rovi guide still works, although I wonder if that won't be next as I've had recent trouble with updates (lost my guide for 3 days!) and noticing missing guide information.

Any word if a future firmware update might bring YouTube back?
Since they (Sony) have a warning about this on the product's webpage, it's clear that this is not gonna happen. If they could update it? probably yes, but they need to sell
newer products, so....

Old 03-13-2015, 08:20 AM

EX720 updates

I have had the EX720 ever since they gave me a discount for the green screen SXRD problem.
I had to unplug the cat5 to keep it from rebooting. Heck I haven't even watched a 3d on it. Great picture not much else. I removed the back and wired in a decent set of speakers also. There's really were useless.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmannm View Post
I have had the EX720 ever since they gave me a discount for the green screen problem.
I had to unplug the cat5 to keep it from rebooting. Heck I haven't even watched a 3d on it. Great picture not much else. I removed the back and wired in a decent set of speakers also. There's really were useless.
Same situation here. Had the optical block issue (green blotch) with the Sony WEGA SXRD, they offered to replace it with an EX620, though in the end paid an extra $350 to upgrade to the EX720. Found the picture inferior on the 620, even compared to the SXRD!

Been frustrated by the reboots on the EX720 because it causes the Rovi TV guide to blank out for 12-24 hours each time it happens. I just worry about it worsening one day. I've heard of people who experience reboots every 30 seconds, or a blinking red LED and no picture. Not sure if that is related but it's worrisome. Meanwhile my 26 year old Sony Trinitron is still running flawlessly.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:45 AM

Ahhh Apple II's (sig) those were the days. I remember programing with apple II's. Remember apple basic and the reserved command "New"? Told the computer to re-format the drive. I think the first virus I ever wrote was using the "new" command in a deep nested loop.
Back on point... I ordered a used blue LED on line for my old tv and fixed it. Still in the game room with an xbox hooked to it.
Old Today, 11:36 AM

YouTube support is now gone from the EX720 (and others). As of today, it now displays:

"Google no longer supports YouTube on this device. Please visit youtube.com/devicesupport for details."

I was hoping they might postpone the disabling of the app, or have a change of mind. No such luck. Really disappointed, I used this feature everyday. If Sony ever does a firmware update that brings YouTube back, as unlikely as that may be, please share it here.

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays