The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Niko, I don't think a new TV will solve your problems. First, there is definitely "clouding" or "flashlighting" on all black screens, and that is unavoidable. The only thing that minimizes it is turning down the lamp. I use mine at 5. The CNet settings are awful, 2 is way too low. And cinemotion is crap.

Second, I tested out 3D free stuff on demand from Qriocity last night, which is the true "frame pack" 3D signal. This looked much better than the side-by side sources; no double vision but maybe a little flickering. So the problem is that Sony wants you to use THEIR 3D, and they didn't to a good job converting other signals. Unfortunately, the 360 and my Verizon FIOS box only output side by side. So unless Sony can upgrade their conversion software in a downloadable update, we are S.O.L.

I plan on taking this plea to Sony's forums in the hopes they can update the software. Sony has always been excellent at handling and upconverting all kinds of signals. My original Sony CRT HDTV 300lb grand wega could punch up anything to look like near HD, an area Sony beats Samsung for sure... but here they dropped the ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Twong, the Netflix and all other software is pretty crappy. My 360 Netflix app is much much better. The Sony software tends be slower and can stutter/buffer more than the 360 app. It's certainly servicable if you have no other options, but it is pretty weak. Kind of like On Demand from your cable box.
post #183 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkevin View Post

Niko, I don't think a new TV will solve your problems. First, there is definitely "clouding" or "flashlighting" on all black screens, and that is unavoidable. The only thing that minimizes it is turning down the lamp. I use mine at 5. The CNet settings are awful, 2 is way too low. And cinemotion is crap.

Second, I tested out 3D free stuff on demand from Qriocity last night, which is the true "frame pack" 3D signal. This looked much better than the side-by side sources; no double vision but maybe a little flickering. So the problem is that Sony wants you to use THEIR 3D, and they didn't to a good job converting other signals. Unfortunately, the 360 and my Verizon FIOS box only output side by side. So unless Sony can upgrade their conversion software in a downloadable update, we are S.O.L.

I plan on taking this plea to Sony's forums in the hopes they can update the software. Sony has always been excellent at handling and upconverting all kinds of signals. My original Sony CRT HDTV 300lb grand wega could punch up anything to look like near HD, an area Sony beats Samsung for sure... but here they dropped the ball.

Then I will complain till they get me a TV that doesn't suffer these problems. BTW my 3D picture sounds a lot worse than yours. I have tested on my ps3 with all kinds of different videos, games, blurays, stuff off of the PSN, and they all look horrible. Over the weekend I did a little test with killzone, I loaded up the game, stood still, and looked around. The middle of the screen was perfectly clear, no matter where I looked. The top half the screen was doubled and trippled. The sides were doubled on the very edge and so was the bottom.
post #184 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Backlight settings are determined by lighting conditions and 2 is perfectly fine for a controlled dark room. As far as cinemotion on Auto 1, if Cnet likes it, I would tend to believe them.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #185 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Nico, yeah that does sound worse than mine. For me, on 3D side by side, maybe only the top and bottom 10% show doubling. Also, certain things being very close or very far may have it too, like the translation cannot handle it. Again, I saw none of this with the Qriocity streams. I totally agree with you tho, definitely make a stink!

Sasquatch, Cnet must be staffed by 75 year old men because NO ONE with any nerd credentials likes cinemotion. Backlight 2 might be great if you are in a photolab darkroom, and Warm 1/2 sucks. See how my opinions differ? That's all their settings are: OPINIONS. And if you are a gamer, Cinemotion adds huge lag because it is post processing... as a gamer, I have always known to turn all of that crap off. You need to do some more research.
post #186 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 02:58 PM

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9542

My post on the sony forums if anyone would like to add to it. Maybe if we make a stink, it will aid our cause (much like the SXRD fiasco).
post #187 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 PM

My 60EX720 did a firmware update this morning. I think this is the first one since the one I did as part of my initial set-up in May. Anybody know what's been added/changed? (I'm in the US, if that matters).
post #188 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 04:02 PM

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL46EX720

Last update shown is from April... but i'm keeping my fingers crossed until i get home!
post #189 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acraigp View Post

My 60EX720 did a firmware update this morning. I think this is the first one since the one I did as part of my initial set-up in May. Anybody know what's been added/changed? (I'm in the US, if that matters).

My 40ex723 just got a update today also.
post #190 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 PM

bitterkevin:

Thanks for the link. I was able to find the instructions to drill down to the software version: PKG3.235AAA.

Still don't have clue what's changed...
post #191 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 PM

It added Yahoo Widgets but I don't know what else. I haven't tested 3D yet.
post #192 of 2042 Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 PM

3D performance remains unchanged
post #193 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:

It added Yahoo Widgets but I don't know what else. I haven't tested 3D yet.

I also received the software update yesterday to my KDL-32EX523. After the download I found that "Widgets" was now installed on the TV. This was not on the TV when I purchased it a month ago. I proceeded to use the application but found that there appeared to be some bugs in it. I was unable to hide the program and perform many operations and it remained on the screen without me being able to remove it. I decided to reset widgets to factory settings and after turning off the TV and powering it on again, not only had it cleared the screen but widgets were no longer available in the Home menu. The software version changed from PKG3.121AAA to PKG3.235AAA.

According to the Sony Support site my previous version is still listed as the most current. I've contacted Sony support in attempt to try and get the application back but they are not of any help. I 'd appreciate knowing if you are having any problems with this application.
post #194 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 04:41 AM

I got the panny bdt-110 and it does help with the 3D. I don't know why but my ps3 has the worst quality for 3D. Htpc is a bit better, but the panny is best according to my eyes.
post #195 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 AM

So far the widgets are working fine for me. I was playing with them for about a 1/2 hour last night. Unlike most of the software they ran quick and smooth. They are all pretty useless tho.
post #196 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So far the widgets are working fine for me. I was playing with them for about a 1/2 hour last night. Unlike most of the software they ran quick and smooth. They are all pretty useless tho.

Well I hoped that your 3D problem will be solved. Apparently not. A useless update for widgets, Jesus...

Anyone having the same problem as I do? The irritating static noise when the camera pans. Im using CNETs and its fine, until Im now noticing more than ever the irritating dirty screen effect. Help anyone? I know Bytehoven has done extensive testing with the matter.
post #197 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM

That noise you get is probably from Motionflow- they tell you to turn it off or try other settings if you see artifacts. I just leave it off.
post #198 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

I have it off... along with Cinemotion. Sucks...

Read around the forum regarding the Dirty Screen Effect. Seems to be common. Also read that it may be actual residue from the screen but that's one straight vertical residue.
post #199 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

If I have the guts I may try to clean the screen. What do you guys suggest? Microfiber cloth will do?
post #200 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I finally got to someone in Sony support that helped me. I had to reset the TV and spend the next few hours getting all my settings back to where they were. I have no idea why I lost the application. I also feel this is a modified widgets version, since it has no feature as I've seen online to move the snippets around the screen or use the options menu when the snippets are present. I'm not really impressed.
post #201 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Main Event- If you are using this TV for gaming, you should use Game-Original and be sure to set i/p conversion to Speed (this does nothing for progressive signals tho, only interlaced). There should be next to no lag. I noticed a big difference between my old TV and this one when it comes to controller responsiveness. 3D will increase lag significantly.

Niko, I fiddled with 3D more lately and will post my findings in a bit.

Didn't notice any dramatic lag, but thanks for the input, I'll switch it to speed if it doesn't affect progressive signals.

As far as the backlight goes 2 works great in my living room. I don't have any windows surrounding it (only a patio and it's quite far away). Got it a tiny bit brighter with Gamma +1 and Power Saving Off. Also turned Cinemotion Off since I don't notice any improvement anyways.
post #202 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Getting really bothered by the DSE now. Noticing it on all modes, on or off motionflow, etc.

Anyone please? Maybe it is actual residue? Will buy cleaning materials later.
post #203 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

Getting really bothered by the DSE now. Noticing it on all modes, on or off motionflow, etc.

Anyone please? Maybe it is actual residue? Will buy cleaning materials later.

How do you have set sharpness, advance contrast & edge/detail enhancement?

I found turning sharpness down really helped reduce DSE on all but the worse source signals of overly compressed or grainy films.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #204 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

How do you have set sharpness, advance contrast & edge/detail enhancement?

I found turning sharpness down really helped reduce DSE on all but the worse source signals of overly compressed or grainy films.

Sharpness is at min. Advance Contrast and all other stuff under Advanced Settings are off.

At first, I thought it was The Walking Dead Season 1 Blu Ray. I first noticed when watching the episodes. The vertical (and sometimes horizontal) lines are evident when the camera pans. Sometimes slowly.

Last night watched Pirates 1, one of the forum's top rated material visual-wise. It did display on some of the scenes.

I've solved all of my other issues but this one irritates me.
post #205 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sharpness is at min. Advance Contrast and all other stuff under Advanced Settings are off.

At first, I thought it was The Walking Dead Season 1 Blu Ray. I first noticed when watching the episodes. The vertical (and sometimes horizontal) lines are evident when the camera pans. Sometimes slowly.

Last night watched Pirates 1, one of the forum's top rated material visual-wise. It did display on some of the scenes.

I've solved all of my other issues but this one irritates me.

Sorry to hear it. I know I saw DSE on some bad DVDs and Fios HD programming, but I never noticed it on good content.

How do you have your brightness, backlight, gamma and any other black level controls set? Sometimes running such that black detail is overly enhanced can contribute to more noise and possible feed the DSE potential of the LCD display.

post #206 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Liked: 16
So I just found the light sensor setting in the eco menu. I had no idea I had missed this setting until now. Turning it to off has made an astounding difference to the brightness. I would think this would help alot with 3D too, which I haven't checked out yet.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #207 of 2042 Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Sorry to hear it. I know I saw DSE on some bad DVDs and Fios HD programming, but I never noticed it on good content.

How do you have your brightness, backlight, gamma and any other black level controls set? Sometimes running such that black detail is overly enhanced can contribute to more noise and possible feed the DSE potential of the LCD display.

Well, I'm using CNET's Settings posted on the first page.

Now I switched to HDTV.UK's settings (with Clear). I don't know, it is now pronounced than ever. Read that Pioneer Kuro suffers most from this one, but they said it's actual residue. Would you advice me cleaning this one month old TV?

UPDATE:

Watching SD content right now. It's more pronounced on HD signals rather than SD.

UPDATE 2:

Anyone tried the Graphics Scene? From some strange reason, with the same settings, I think I'm favoring the Graphics scene more than anything else. IDK.
post #208 of 2042 Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I'm using CNET's Settings posted on the first page.

Now I switched to HDTV.UK's settings (with Clear). I don't know, it is now pronounced than ever. Read that Pioneer Kuro suffers most from this one, but they said it's actual residue. Would you advice me cleaning this one month old TV?

UPDATE:

Watching SD content right now. It's more pronounced on HD signals rather than SD.

UPDATE 2:

Anyone tried the Graphics Scene? From some strange reason, with the same settings, I think I'm favoring the Graphics scene more than anything else. IDK.

Will also consider the Color Temp and White Balance. I'm now noticing that it is apparent on greens.
post #209 of 2042 Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't have a clue regarding cleaning any "residue".

What are your white balance settings? Have you calibrated your contrast/brightness using a disc like AVIA, Video Essentials, WOW?

post #210 of 2042 Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Perhaps this DSE is from your HDMI cable? I haven't really noticed this issue. My screen setting are default, Scene General Custom (or Game Original, even for fios tv), backlight 5, everything off, color temp neutral. There is no difference between any "Scene" if the settings are identical. For me, General Custom, Game Original, and Graphics are all the same. I use General Standard when I want to watch TV with most of the post processing on, but I still don't like it. I guess I am a source signal purist.

Like Squatch said, be sure to go to ECO menu under preferences and turn off power saving, light sensor, and anything else that auto adjusts. It will make a huge difference in your backlight strength. Also, go to Screen menu and you can change the screen size from Auto to Full Pixel, which may alleviate some of your DSE issues. I wouldn't recommend doing that for FIOS however, sin ce you can see a lot of overscan crap. Works great for Xbox though.

None of this tinkering helped the 3D tho
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page