AVS Forum banner
482K views 2K replies 336 participants last post by  shadow_zero 
#1 ·
Internet access plus incredible picture quality—even in 3D.

Fusing a striking picture with elegant design, Edge LED backlit BRAVIA® EX720 Series LCD HDTVs are packed with state-of-the-art technology, including 3D in Full HD 1080p. Watch your favorite fast-action movies and sporting events in crystal clear detail thanks to X-Reality™ Engine. In addition to advanced energy saving features, this HDTV is Wi-Fi® Ready which lets you instantly stream hit movies, popular TV shows and the latest music from Qriocity™, Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, YouTube™, Pandora® and many more when you add the UWA-BR100 wireless adapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PICTURE SETTINGS FROM PROFESSIONAL VIDEO SITES:

CNET Picture Settings

-Picture Adjustments menu--

Setting Memory: [any]

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 2

Picture: 95

Brightness: 54

Color: 53

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: Min

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Motionflow: Off

CineMotion: Auto 1

--Advanced Settings menu--

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: +1

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]

i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

--White Balance menu--

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: 0

B-Gain: 0

R-Bias: -2

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -2

Flat Panels HD

Picture mode: Custom

Backlight - 5

Contrast - 89

Brightness - 57

Color - 50

Hue - 0

Sharpness - 0

Color temperature - Warm2

Noise reduction -Off

Mpeg noise reduction -Off

Motionflow On

Film-mode Auto 1/Auto 2

Black corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma - 0

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Colour Off

Detail/Edge enhancer Off

R Gain -10

G Gain -9

B Gain 0

R Bias -2

G Bias -1

B Bias +1

HDTVTest Settings EX723

Picture Mode: Cinema1 (Select Cinema Under Scene first)

Backlight: 9

Picture: 90

Brightness: 50

Colour: 50

Colour Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Dot Noise: Auto (for TV and Old Shows)

Motionflow: Clear

Film Mode: Auto2

Detail Enhancer: Your choice, for SD material only

White Balance: -3 -1 0 -2 -1 -2

----------------------------------------------------------------

PROS AND CONS

CONS

1) Crosstalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Strange ... got mine yesterday (Tuesday) too! Here's a cut 'n' paste of my original post -- plus additional comments:

Received early this AM my "reshipment" of my 60EX720 (in another thread I'd mentioned that the first delivery was damaged).

[As a basis for comparison, I upgraded to the 60EX720 from a 7 year old 60XBR950 RP)

Comments in NO particular order:

1. Before deciding on the 60EX720, I had read in this forum all the comments about flashlighting, blooming, haloing, et al. FYI the set I received have NONE of those problems, to any degree. "Uniformity" is GREAT ... at least on my set!

The ONLY time blacks exhibit ANY degree of flashlighting is when I ramp up PICTURE, BACKLIGHT, and BRIGHTNESS to MAX settings; and then, the brightening appears relatively uniformly, not just around the edges.

2. Does the picture get "washed out" as you move "off-center"? Yes -- BUT only to a VERY SLIGHT degree. Had I NOT seen user comments here, I would not have even noticed. In my case, I would say that picture "contrast" SEEMS to be "reduced A BIT" when moving off center. What's interesting is that picture quality seems just as good at 89 deg. from center as it is at 60 deg.

3. On the downside: the internal speakers are NOT good at all! I GOTTA get me some external ones.

4. The new menu system will require some getting used to; but right now I don't like it. Bottom line: owning a previous Sony set WILL NOT speed up the learning process for this new menu system.

5. Media Remote on my iPhone works well ... but while it DOES respond quickly, don't expect it to be AS quick as the IR remote.

Addition today: 6. as of now I CANNOT register my 60EX720 with Amazon Instant Video. The instructions at Amazon AND Sony site SEEM to NOT apply to the EX720; the selection doesn't seem to exist on this new menu.

7. I'm at the end of Day 2 with the 60EX720, and something's happening which I DID NOT expect: from posts in other threads I was expecting this Edge LED TV to be darker than a CCFL TV (I also have a 40EX500). This new EX720 seems DAMN BRIGHT to me! And detail seems to stand out more (esp. in mens suits and VERY SUBTLE patterns on screen (ex: the Law and Order series' opening credits: I NOW see each actors' photo go from a newsprint dither to a reg. photo, something I NEVER noticed before.

8. One thing I DON'T like: if the EX720 powers off (manually or power save), it also powers down any Bravia Link equipment (in my case the PS3). Oftentimes I WANT to keep the PS3 powered up such as when I want to recharge the controller.

9. Watching sports (even hockey), the picture motion seems nicely fluid when MOtionflow is set to "Standard".

10. While I can "live with it" ... I'm not happy that the 60" is the ONLY model in EX720 line that cannot swivel or tilt. Swivel would make plugging video sources a lot easier.

11. Perhaps this is a benefit of LED LCD TVs -- as well as its METAL chassis -- but it's nice to have a TV which is "cool" to the touch! No more worries about ventilation!

More later ... including testing the 60EX720's headphone outputs with a pair of AKG Q701 reference headphones. Want to see a) sound quality and b) whether I also need to use a headphone amp (like most pro headphones need)

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20424643

So, how's your EX720 so far? Just got mine yesterday. Tweaking a lot, but will stay away from countless hours of calibrating until I have finally reached a month. So far, really, I have yet to be blown away. I've upgraded from a Sony W450 and PQ seems like a slight improvement, or maybe I'm just so used to my W450?

I'm still being optimistic though. Have yet to try the TV but at the Sony Store it looked awesome.

If you thought it looked "awesome" in the store, maybe you should rerun initial setup and choose "retail" instead of "home"!

#4 ·
It usually takes me quite sometime before I be at home on a TV.

Watched SUPERBAD on BluRay last night, and The Orphanage when I woke up. (I know, not really titles that will showcase visual feast)

Overall I'm happy that my set doesn't have clouding. NONE at all. Just the usual four-corner flashlight that most sets suffer with but I hardly notice it. Still not tinkering with the settings that much, at home with Standard (and with all options and advanced settings on default which is medium to low). Just going to enjoy the set for a while (especially 2D) before really diving it.

I've seen some calibration settings and they're all quite the same. All off, sharpness to Min, Warm 2. Maybe give this one a couple of months and we'll see some really breakthrough in terms of calibration for this set. After all, the set allows us to tinker up to the tiniest details (especially WHITE BALANCE).

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20425012

It usually takes me quite sometime before I be at home on a TV.

Watched SUPERBAD on BluRay last night, and The Orphanage when I woke up. (I know, not really titles that will showcase visual feast)

Overall I'm happy that my set doesn't have clouding. NONE at all. Just the usual four-corner flashlight that most sets suffer with but I hardly notice it. Still not tinkering with the settings that much, at home with Standard (and with all options and advanced settings on default which is medium to low). Just going to enjoy the set for a while (especially 2D) before really diving it.

I've seen some calibration settings and they're all quite the same. All off, sharpness to Min, Warm 2. Maybe give this one a couple of months and we'll see some really breakthrough in terms of calibration for this set. After all, the set allows us to tinker up to the tiniest details (especially WHITE BALANCE).

Although I STILL honestly believe that my set also doesn't have any uniformity issues, I also noticed that even the subtlest HINT of flashlighting on the EX720 can be elminated in "Advanced Settings" by turning on "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" -- the EX720's version of "LED Dynamic Control".

Hopefully this may help someone else who does have flashlighting.

#9 ·
The EX720 has a nice feature set, but the problem is it does none of them very well. That is the real trade off. The entire sum of what the EX720 offers is lackluster, but the wide range of uses is great.

The 3D is pretty bad, at least for me with the new 2011 Glasses. I see lots of cross talk and the screen becomes very pixelated...like its down rezzing quite a bit. I am going to try another HDMI 1.4 cable once it arrives, but this TV so far has been one big drain on the wallet.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDay /forum/post/20427298

The EX720 has a nice feature set, but the problem is it does none of them very well. That is the real trade off. The entire sum of what the EX720 offers is lackluster, but the wide range of uses is great.

The 3D is pretty bad, at least for me with the new 2011 Glasses. I see lots of cross talk and the screen becomes very pixelated...like its down rezzing quite a bit. I am going to try another HDMI 1.4 cable once it arrives, but this TV so far has been one big drain on the wallet.

Isn't the EX720 the bottom end 3D TV in Sony's 2011 lineup? I think that the fake 240hz is what hurts the 3D capability of this set.

#11 ·
I turned off the motionflow on my 60EX720 and that seemed to improve the 3d somewhat. I was using Xpand Universal X103 glasses but was not very impressed with the 3d. I was watchin a program on Direct TV, one of the few offered for free.

Good to see there is finally an "Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread".

#14 ·
Anyone else noticing a haze on their screen when a camera pans quickly? I notice it a lot during sporting events especially hockey, soccer and even baseball. With the solid color of the field/ice it really stands out. My assumption is it's a result of uneven backlighting but i'm not sure. Is this an LED issue and fairly normal or is this a defect? It can get quite annoying and I can't help but notice it.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdigregorio121
Anyone else noticing a haze on their screen when a camera pans quickly? I notice it a lot during sporting events especially hockey, soccer and even baseball. With the solid color of the field/ice it really stands out. My assumption is it's a result of uneven backlighting but i'm not sure. Is this an LED issue and fairly normal or is this a defect? It can get quite annoying and I can't help but notice it.
On a quick pan, SOMETIMES I see block noise/pixelation, but not "haze" using the traditional definition.

However, I HAVE noticed a SLIGHT increase in halo effect (especially bright colors on a a black background) IF Adv. Contrast Enhancer is set. In the OFF position everything's normal -- but the halo effect increases VERY slightly as you ramp up ACE.

#16 ·
I've tested 3D gaming with the set, not impressed so far.

Tried NBA 2k11 and the framerate was horrible. Turning off motion enhancer though did the trick but motion enhancer works so well with sports titles, it's disappointing.

Can't say the same thing with 2D though, it's a great picture. Slowly liking the set at its default setting, but anything higher than 5 in Backlight gives eye strain.

I've read the lengthy review on Television Info and I'd have to agree. The 3D is a bonus if this is your first upgrade in a long time but if you've been bouncing from set to set then I'd suggest you pick the higher-end 3D TVs in the market, the picture may underwhelm you.

So any of you have settings that you like? Will post mine maybe in a month's time after really calibrating the set.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb
Although I STILL honestly believe that my set also doesn't have any uniformity issues, I also noticed that even the subtlest HINT of flashlighting on the EX720 can be elminated in "Advanced Settings" by turning on "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" -- the EX720's version of "LED Dynamic Control".

Hopefully this may help someone else who does have flashlighting.
This did the trick. Thanks!

#18 ·
This may be a big drain in the wallet, I got it at $2,712 in my country (Philippines) but I say to the owners don't be disappointed. This is a good starting 3D set, and I believe with all the 3D content coming in the next few months this may keep us happy for years.

Again, the 2D's great in itself. Not really high-tier great, but a great improvement over the LCDs you are getting rid of.

#20 ·
My set having horrible backlight problems has been submitted to Sony. Same pictures have been submitted to an authorized Sony technician. Just waiting for an answer from him.

That aside, I'm totally satisfied with this set. Just need the 2011 3D glasses now. I turn off all motion/cinemotion effects. I like my picture to be as natural as possible. I'm in a relatively dark room. so my settings are as follow:

Custom

Backlight: 4

Brightness: 51

Color: 51

Color Temp: Warm 1

#21 ·
I set up my KDL-55EX620 lat night and since there's no dedicated thread for that I'll post my thoughts here.

I don't seem to have any backlighting deformity issues that seem to prevalent with edge-lit LED screens so that's good. I used the CNET EX720 settings as a starting point and the set looks good and the picture seems to beat the 55A2020 SXRD set it replaced. The only issue is that once you get to about a 45 degree viewing angle the colours wash out pretty severely. My SXRD had a much wider viewing angle even though it was rear-projection. At least the EX620 swivels so if I am sitting on an angle I can at least remedy it to a certain degree.

All in all I'm happy with it especially since it only cost me $600 as part of the Sony resolution to my SXRD green blob issue

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam /forum/post/20432283

I set up my KDL-55EX620 lat night and since there's no dedicated thread for that I'll post my thoughts here.

I don't seem to have any backlighting deformity issues that seem to prevalent with edge-lit LED screens so that's good. I used the CNET EX720 settings as a starting point and the set looks good and the picture seems to beat the 55A2020 SXRD set it replaced. The only issue is that once you get to about a 45 degree viewing angle the colours wash out pretty severely. My SXRD had a much wider viewing angle even though it was rear-projection. At least the EX620 swivels so if I am sitting on an angle I can at least remedy it to a certain degree.

All in all I'm happy with it especially since it only cost me $600 as part of the Sony resolution to my SXRD green blob issue

FYI the 55EX720 swivels as well ... only the 60EX720 model does not swivel.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam /forum/post/20427428

Isn't the EX720 the bottom end 3D TV in Sony's 2011 lineup? I think that the fake 240hz is what hurts the 3D capability of this set.

Technically its classified as a mid-range set for 2011, though its the bottom of the 3D sets.

Sadly the tv was advertised as having true 240hz panel refresh rate and only after people started buying them did this mistake get fixed. Cnet and televisioninfo.com as well as some retailers are still incorrectly advertising (stating it as) 240hz which we believe was on the original spec sheet Sony sent out.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Main Event /forum/post/20432055

My set having horrible backlight problems has been submitted to Sony. Same pictures have been submitted to an authorized Sony technician. Just waiting for an answer from him.

That aside, I'm totally satisfied with this set. Just need the 2011 3D glasses now. I turn off all motion/cinemotion effects. I like my picture to be as natural as possible. I'm in a relatively dark room. so my settings are as follow:

Custom

Backlight: 4

Brightness: 51

Color: 51

Color Temp: Warm 1

Hmm... I have my backlight at 5 and I haven't really skimmed through the advanced settings yet. Just enjoying the set as of now. In terms of Sharpness most would tell you that it's better in a low number. Been a Sharpness fan before but sometimes anything higher than 20 will produce a really noisy pictures. Almost all of my sets before did the same so I cranked it all the way down at the expense of a somewhat blurry picture.

There's an auto-dimming feature here too and sometimes it really dims into a damn-black picture, which I love. The transition is not noticeable for me.

So anyway did extensive gaming? Tried Crysis 2 and at first I thought it was crosstalk galore but I found out that I've been tilting my head too much, which gets rid of the 3D effect. This is the only thing that I don't like so far. My brother sits lazily so he'll be tilting every now and then.

Happy though that I have the 2011 glasses. It really is bigger compared to the 2010 models. (Which I was able to test at the mall) Much happier that the glasses fits nicely over glasses. My dad tried the set and he was wearing his big ole' reading glasses. He didn't complain of anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.