The Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 2047 Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CaliCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Internet access plus incredible picture quality—even in 3D.

Fusing a striking picture with elegant design, Edge LED backlit BRAVIA® EX720 Series LCD HDTVs are packed with state-of-the-art technology, including 3D in Full HD 1080p. Watch your favorite fast-action movies and sporting events in crystal clear detail thanks to X-Reality™ Engine. In addition to advanced energy saving features, this HDTV is Wi-Fi® Ready which lets you instantly stream hit movies, popular TV shows and the latest music from Qriocity™, Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, YouTube™, Pandora® and many more when you add the UWA-BR100 wireless adapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PICTURE SETTINGS FROM PROFESSIONAL VIDEO SITES:

CNET Picture Settings
-Picture Adjustments menu--
Setting Memory: [any]
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 2
Picture: 95
Brightness: 54
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1

--Advanced Settings menu--
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: +1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]
i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

--White Balance menu--
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: -2
B-Bias: -2

Flat Panels HD
Picture mode: Custom
Backlight - 5
Contrast - 89
Brightness - 57
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Sharpness - 0
Color temperature - Warm2
Noise reduction -Off
Mpeg noise reduction -Off
Motionflow On
Film-mode Auto 1/Auto 2
Black corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma - 0
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Colour Off
Detail/Edge enhancer Off
R Gain -10
G Gain -9
B Gain 0
R Bias -2
G Bias -1
B Bias +1

HDTVTest Settings EX723
Picture Mode: Cinema1 (Select Cinema Under Scene first)
Backlight: 9
Picture: 90
Brightness: 50
Colour: 50
Colour Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Dot Noise: Auto (for TV and Old Shows)
Motionflow: Clear
Film Mode: Auto2

Detail Enhancer: Your choice, for SD material only
White Balance: -3 -1 0 -2 -1 -2

----------------------------------------------------------------

PROS AND CONS

CONS
1) Crosstalk
CaliCool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2047 Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 PM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Strange ... got mine yesterday (Tuesday) too! Here's a cut 'n' paste of my original post -- plus additional comments:

Received early this AM my "reshipment" of my 60EX720 (in another thread I'd mentioned that the first delivery was damaged).

[As a basis for comparison, I upgraded to the 60EX720 from a 7 year old 60XBR950 RP)

Comments in NO particular order:

1. Before deciding on the 60EX720, I had read in this forum all the comments about flashlighting, blooming, haloing, et al. FYI the set I received have NONE of those problems, to any degree. "Uniformity" is GREAT ... at least on my set!

The ONLY time blacks exhibit ANY degree of flashlighting is when I ramp up PICTURE, BACKLIGHT, and BRIGHTNESS to MAX settings; and then, the brightening appears relatively uniformly, not just around the edges.

2. Does the picture get "washed out" as you move "off-center"? Yes -- BUT only to a VERY SLIGHT degree. Had I NOT seen user comments here, I would not have even noticed. In my case, I would say that picture "contrast" SEEMS to be "reduced A BIT" when moving off center. What's interesting is that picture quality seems just as good at 89 deg. from center as it is at 60 deg.

3. On the downside: the internal speakers are NOT good at all! I GOTTA get me some external ones.

4. The new menu system will require some getting used to; but right now I don't like it. Bottom line: owning a previous Sony set WILL NOT speed up the learning process for this new menu system.

5. Media Remote on my iPhone works well ... but while it DOES respond quickly, don't expect it to be AS quick as the IR remote.

Addition today: 6. as of now I CANNOT register my 60EX720 with Amazon Instant Video. The instructions at Amazon AND Sony site SEEM to NOT apply to the EX720; the selection doesn't seem to exist on this new menu.

7. I'm at the end of Day 2 with the 60EX720, and something's happening which I DID NOT expect: from posts in other threads I was expecting this Edge LED TV to be darker than a CCFL TV (I also have a 40EX500). This new EX720 seems DAMN BRIGHT to me! And detail seems to stand out more (esp. in mens suits and VERY SUBTLE patterns on screen (ex: the Law and Order series' opening credits: I NOW see each actors' photo go from a newsprint dither to a reg. photo, something I NEVER noticed before.

8. One thing I DON'T like: if the EX720 powers off (manually or power save), it also powers down any Bravia Link equipment (in my case the PS3). Oftentimes I WANT to keep the PS3 powered up such as when I want to recharge the controller.

9. Watching sports (even hockey), the picture motion seems nicely fluid when MOtionflow is set to "Standard".

10. While I can "live with it" ... I'm not happy that the 60" is the ONLY model in EX720 line that cannot swivel or tilt. Swivel would make plugging video sources a lot easier.

11. Perhaps this is a benefit of LED LCD TVs -- as well as its METAL chassis -- but it's nice to have a TV which is "cool" to the touch! No more worries about ventilation!

More later ... including testing the 60EX720's headphone outputs with a pair of AKG Q701 reference headphones. Want to see a) sound quality and b) whether I also need to use a headphone amp (like most pro headphones need)
crb is offline  
post #3 of 2047 Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

[size="5"]So, how's your EX720 so far? Just got mine yesterday. Tweaking a lot, but will stay away from countless hours of calibrating until I have finally reached a month. So far, really, I have yet to be blown away. I've upgraded from a Sony W450 and PQ seems like a slight improvement, or maybe I'm just so used to my W450?

I'm still being optimistic though. Have yet to try the TV but at the Sony Store it looked awesome.

If you thought it looked "awesome" in the store, maybe you should rerun initial setup and choose "retail" instead of "home"!
crb is offline  
post #4 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CaliCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It usually takes me quite sometime before I be at home on a TV.

Watched SUPERBAD on BluRay last night, and The Orphanage when I woke up. (I know, not really titles that will showcase visual feast)

Overall I'm happy that my set doesn't have clouding. NONE at all. Just the usual four-corner flashlight that most sets suffer with but I hardly notice it. Still not tinkering with the settings that much, at home with Standard (and with all options and advanced settings on default which is medium to low). Just going to enjoy the set for a while (especially 2D) before really diving it.

I've seen some calibration settings and they're all quite the same. All off, sharpness to Min, Warm 2. Maybe give this one a couple of months and we'll see some really breakthrough in terms of calibration for this set. After all, the set allows us to tinker up to the tiniest details (especially WHITE BALANCE).
CaliCool is offline  
post #5 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Injected Sin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Injected Sin is offline  
post #6 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 AM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post

It usually takes me quite sometime before I be at home on a TV.

Watched SUPERBAD on BluRay last night, and The Orphanage when I woke up. (I know, not really titles that will showcase visual feast)

Overall I'm happy that my set doesn't have clouding. NONE at all. Just the usual four-corner flashlight that most sets suffer with but I hardly notice it. Still not tinkering with the settings that much, at home with Standard (and with all options and advanced settings on default which is medium to low). Just going to enjoy the set for a while (especially 2D) before really diving it.

I've seen some calibration settings and they're all quite the same. All off, sharpness to Min, Warm 2. Maybe give this one a couple of months and we'll see some really breakthrough in terms of calibration for this set. After all, the set allows us to tinker up to the tiniest details (especially WHITE BALANCE).

Although I STILL honestly believe that my set also doesn't have any uniformity issues, I also noticed that even the subtlest HINT of flashlighting on the EX720 can be elminated in "Advanced Settings" by turning on "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" -- the EX720's version of "LED Dynamic Control".

Hopefully this may help someone else who does have flashlighting.
crb is offline  
post #7 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Member
 
pappcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm expecting delivery of a 55EX620 today. Are these TVs identical except for the 3D and fake 240hz electronics?
pappcam is offline  
post #8 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 AM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post

I'm expecting delivery of a 55EX620 today. Are these TVs identical except for the 3D and fake 240hz electronics?

From what I remember of the specs of both: yes.
crb is offline  
post #9 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Member
 
DataDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The EX720 has a nice feature set, but the problem is it does none of them very well. That is the real trade off. The entire sum of what the EX720 offers is lackluster, but the wide range of uses is great.

The 3D is pretty bad, at least for me with the new 2011 Glasses. I see lots of cross talk and the screen becomes very pixelated...like its down rezzing quite a bit. I am going to try another HDMI 1.4 cable once it arrives, but this TV so far has been one big drain on the wallet.
DataDay is offline  
post #10 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Member
 
pappcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDay View Post

The EX720 has a nice feature set, but the problem is it does none of them very well. That is the real trade off. The entire sum of what the EX720 offers is lackluster, but the wide range of uses is great.

The 3D is pretty bad, at least for me with the new 2011 Glasses. I see lots of cross talk and the screen becomes very pixelated...like its down rezzing quite a bit. I am going to try another HDMI 1.4 cable once it arrives, but this TV so far has been one big drain on the wallet.

Isn't the EX720 the bottom end 3D TV in Sony's 2011 lineup? I think that the fake 240hz is what hurts the 3D capability of this set.
pappcam is offline  
post #11 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Member
 
richb2599's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I turned off the motionflow on my 60EX720 and that seemed to improve the 3d somewhat. I was using Xpand Universal X103 glasses but was not very impressed with the 3d. I was watchin a program on Direct TV, one of the few offered for free.
Good to see there is finally an "Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread".
richb2599 is offline  
post #12 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Member
 
pappcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

merge http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311054

I think the OP has to request it.
pappcam is offline  
post #13 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

merge http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311054

or rename original 10 page thread and delete this one!
dm145 is offline  
post #14 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Member
 
vdigregorio121's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else noticing a haze on their screen when a camera pans quickly? I notice it a lot during sporting events especially hockey, soccer and even baseball. With the solid color of the field/ice it really stands out. My assumption is it's a result of uneven backlighting but i'm not sure. Is this an LED issue and fairly normal or is this a defect? It can get quite annoying and I can't help but notice it.
vdigregorio121 is offline  
post #15 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdigregorio121 View Post
Anyone else noticing a haze on their screen when a camera pans quickly? I notice it a lot during sporting events especially hockey, soccer and even baseball. With the solid color of the field/ice it really stands out. My assumption is it's a result of uneven backlighting but i'm not sure. Is this an LED issue and fairly normal or is this a defect? It can get quite annoying and I can't help but notice it.
On a quick pan, SOMETIMES I see block noise/pixelation, but not "haze" using the traditional definition.

However, I HAVE noticed a SLIGHT increase in halo effect (especially bright colors on a a black background) IF Adv. Contrast Enhancer is set. In the OFF position everything's normal -- but the halo effect increases VERY slightly as you ramp up ACE.
crb is offline  
post #16 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CaliCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've tested 3D gaming with the set, not impressed so far.

Tried NBA 2k11 and the framerate was horrible. Turning off motion enhancer though did the trick but motion enhancer works so well with sports titles, it's disappointing.

Can't say the same thing with 2D though, it's a great picture. Slowly liking the set at its default setting, but anything higher than 5 in Backlight gives eye strain.

I've read the lengthy review on Television Info and I'd have to agree. The 3D is a bonus if this is your first upgrade in a long time but if you've been bouncing from set to set then I'd suggest you pick the higher-end 3D TVs in the market, the picture may underwhelm you.

So any of you have settings that you like? Will post mine maybe in a month's time after really calibrating the set.
CaliCool is offline  
post #17 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CaliCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb View Post
Although I STILL honestly believe that my set also doesn't have any uniformity issues, I also noticed that even the subtlest HINT of flashlighting on the EX720 can be elminated in "Advanced Settings" by turning on "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" -- the EX720's version of "LED Dynamic Control".

Hopefully this may help someone else who does have flashlighting.
This did the trick. Thanks!
CaliCool is offline  
post #18 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CaliCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be a big drain in the wallet, I got it at $2,712 in my country (Philippines) but I say to the owners don't be disappointed. This is a good starting 3D set, and I believe with all the 3D content coming in the next few months this may keep us happy for years.

Again, the 2D's great in itself. Not really high-tier great, but a great improvement over the LCDs you are getting rid of.
CaliCool is offline  
post #19 of 2047 Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Newbie
 
OTAlucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i got my 46 inch today still trying to adjust the settings i am going to have to get a wall mount i am afraid of it falling off my dresser and hitting the floor but over all so far the picture looks great i am going to go to go buy some hdmi cables now :/
OTAlucard is offline  
post #20 of 2047 Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
The Main Event's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My set having horrible backlight problems has been submitted to Sony. Same pictures have been submitted to an authorized Sony technician. Just waiting for an answer from him.

That aside, I'm totally satisfied with this set. Just need the 2011 3D glasses now. I turn off all motion/cinemotion effects. I like my picture to be as natural as possible. I'm in a relatively dark room. so my settings are as follow:

Custom
Backlight: 4
Picture: 95
Brightness: 51
Color: 51
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 50
The Main Event is offline  
post #21 of 2047 Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Member
 
pappcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I set up my KDL-55EX620 lat night and since there's no dedicated thread for that I'll post my thoughts here.

I don't seem to have any backlighting deformity issues that seem to prevalent with edge-lit LED screens so that's good. I used the CNET EX720 settings as a starting point and the set looks good and the picture seems to beat the 55A2020 SXRD set it replaced. The only issue is that once you get to about a 45 degree viewing angle the colours wash out pretty severely. My SXRD had a much wider viewing angle even though it was rear-projection. At least the EX620 swivels so if I am sitting on an angle I can at least remedy it to a certain degree.

All in all I'm happy with it especially since it only cost me $600 as part of the Sony resolution to my SXRD green blob issue
pappcam is offline  
post #22 of 2047 Old 05-13-2011, 11:23 AM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post

I set up my KDL-55EX620 lat night and since there's no dedicated thread for that I'll post my thoughts here.

I don't seem to have any backlighting deformity issues that seem to prevalent with edge-lit LED screens so that's good. I used the CNET EX720 settings as a starting point and the set looks good and the picture seems to beat the 55A2020 SXRD set it replaced. The only issue is that once you get to about a 45 degree viewing angle the colours wash out pretty severely. My SXRD had a much wider viewing angle even though it was rear-projection. At least the EX620 swivels so if I am sitting on an angle I can at least remedy it to a certain degree.

All in all I'm happy with it especially since it only cost me $600 as part of the Sony resolution to my SXRD green blob issue

FYI the 55EX720 swivels as well ... only the 60EX720 model does not swivel.
crb is offline  
post #23 of 2047 Old 05-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Member
 
DataDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post

Isn't the EX720 the bottom end 3D TV in Sony's 2011 lineup? I think that the fake 240hz is what hurts the 3D capability of this set.

Technically its classified as a mid-range set for 2011, though its the bottom of the 3D sets.

Sadly the tv was advertised as having true 240hz panel refresh rate and only after people started buying them did this mistake get fixed. Cnet and televisioninfo.com as well as some retailers are still incorrectly advertising (stating it as) 240hz which we believe was on the original spec sheet Sony sent out.
DataDay is offline  
post #24 of 2047 Old 05-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Newbie
 
OTAlucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anybody know what to set the tv at for videogames like call of duty and stuff like that ?
OTAlucard is offline  
post #25 of 2047 Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 PM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAlucard View Post

does anybody know what to set the tv at for videogames like call of duty and stuff like that ?

Posts regarding OTHER 2011 Sony sets say that the "Game" setting works well. I have yet to play a video game on my 60EX720; however, I would try the "Game" preset.
crb is offline  
post #26 of 2047 Old 05-14-2011, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CaliCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post

My set having horrible backlight problems has been submitted to Sony. Same pictures have been submitted to an authorized Sony technician. Just waiting for an answer from him.

That aside, I'm totally satisfied with this set. Just need the 2011 3D glasses now. I turn off all motion/cinemotion effects. I like my picture to be as natural as possible. I'm in a relatively dark room. so my settings are as follow:

Custom
Backlight: 4
Picture: 95
Brightness: 51
Color: 51
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 50

Hmm... I have my backlight at 5 and I haven't really skimmed through the advanced settings yet. Just enjoying the set as of now. In terms of Sharpness most would tell you that it's better in a low number. Been a Sharpness fan before but sometimes anything higher than 20 will produce a really noisy pictures. Almost all of my sets before did the same so I cranked it all the way down at the expense of a somewhat blurry picture.

There's an auto-dimming feature here too and sometimes it really dims into a damn-black picture, which I love. The transition is not noticeable for me.

So anyway did extensive gaming? Tried Crysis 2 and at first I thought it was crosstalk galore but I found out that I've been tilting my head too much, which gets rid of the 3D effect. This is the only thing that I don't like so far. My brother sits lazily so he'll be tilting every now and then.

Happy though that I have the 2011 glasses. It really is bigger compared to the 2010 models. (Which I was able to test at the mall) Much happier that the glasses fits nicely over glasses. My dad tried the set and he was wearing his big ole' reading glasses. He didn't complain of anything.
CaliCool is offline  
post #27 of 2047 Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Senior Member
 
aim120's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hdtvtest .uk has reviewed the EX720 overall a very good 2d tv,with excellent image processing,but a average 3d peformance.

For gamers input lag is really low at just 21ms on par with a panasonic VT30 plasma.
aim120 is offline  
post #28 of 2047 Old 05-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Member
 
keeferb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does everyone feel about the screen reflections? In the televisioninfo review, they considered it 'highly reflective', which surprised me since it's supposed to be a matte screen.
keeferb is offline  
post #29 of 2047 Old 05-14-2011, 09:59 AM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeferb View Post
How does everyone feel about the screen reflections? In the televisioninfo review, they considered it 'highly reflective', which surprised me since it's supposed to be a matte screen.
Well, although it IS a matte screen, the 60EX720 is NOTICEABLY more reflective than my 40EX500.

HOWEVER: it's MUCH LESS reflective than the 2011 NX and HX Bravias.
crb is offline  
post #30 of 2047 Old 05-14-2011, 12:07 PM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks:

Here is my FIRST series of settings I've used on my 60EX720, using the Spears and Munsil bluray disc:

Backlight: 3
Picture: 85
Brightness: 56
Color: 54
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 3
Motionflow: Clear
CineMotion: Auto 1
MPEG Noise Reduction: Auto

... and under "Advanced Settings"

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low

As you may notice, the results I got using Spears and Munsil are really close to the settings posted by others here in the thread.

Later on I'm going to try to see if I can reset the White Balance and gamma of the 60EX720; will posts results.

Hope this helps!
crb is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl40ex720 40 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl60ex720 60 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl46ex720 46 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off