Official Sony KDL 32BX420 40BX420 46BX420 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 72 Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't been able to find an official thread for these yet, so figured I'd get one started.

Sony Info Page

Owner's Manual

TelevisionInfo.com Review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Why didn't you just change the title of your other thread that already had posts in it?
post #3 of 72 Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Why didn't you just change the title of your other thread that already had posts in it?

I tried but couldn't find a way to change the actual thread title. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Just noticed that I could "Go Advanced" and change the thread title. I'm a moron; sorry for the multiple posts.
post #4 of 72 Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDoc in a related thread View Post

televisioninfo.com/content/Sony-KDL-46BX420-LCD-HDTV-Review.htm

That's a nice review of it and there is a page there on the calibration they used. What are your uses for this? I am looking at this (32") for a monitor on an HTPC for gaming and watching tv/movies.

Thanks for the review. I picked up this TV via the Sony replacement program for a KDFE42A10 that I bought in 2005. Info for that program can be found at the following link:

http://www.sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

It is also discussed extensively in the official A10 series thread.

I'm actually using the BX420 as our main living room television right now. We're in a two-bedroom condo and I don't have the time/space/desire to do a nice home theater setup there. I would hope that eventually the BX420 will be a secondary set or one for the basement bar area, something along those lines. I realize it's far from ideal for a main set but I happened to find the replacement program when I started having problems with the A10 and couldn't pass it up for $50. I'm anxious to move on from condo living and looking forward to having a dedicated space for bigger and better toys.
post #5 of 72 Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No problem. I was searching for a lot of tv's around that price range and that seems to be the best one in quality. Lacking on features but I mean for my use I just need a monitor with quality that works for games and just computer use as well as movies and tv shows.

Not to try and get off track but could be the same thing. I would just love to know if the BX421 series is the same as the BX420. Bj's wholesale has what appears to be the same TV just marked as the BX421. Sony doesn't have much info on there site about it. Just trouble shooting section and a pdf flyer which looks the same as the BX420 specs. And wholesale clubs tend to have a product number that isn't a normal one to begin with. It's $50 cheaper.
post #6 of 72 Old 05-19-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDoc View Post

No problem. I was searching for a lot of tv's around that price range and that seems to be the best one in quality. Lacking on features but I mean for my use I just need a monitor with quality that works for games and just computer use as well as movies and tv shows.

Not to try and get off track but could be the same thing. I would just love to know if the BX421 series is the same as the BX420. Bj's wholesale has what appears to be the same TV just marked as the BX421. Sony doesn't have much info on there site about it. Just trouble shooting section and a pdf flyer which looks the same as the BX420 specs. And wholesale clubs tend to have a product number that isn't a normal one to begin with. It's $50 cheaper.

In the official EX400 thread, they state that the EX401 is the Costco model of the same television. I have a feeling that it's the same situation here.

Here's a response to your question from another thread; I'm copying it here in case other folks come to this thread having the same question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Sony, along with a number of other mfgs. provides separate model numbers for sets to be sold in places like Costco and Sam's Club. More often than not they are the same as sets sold in BB, HH Gregg, or Sears. Occasionally they will have slight differences--For example the Sony EX723 series sets sold in club stores has built in WiFi while the EX720 sold at traditional retailers doesn't.

Store specific model numbers also appear on some sets that are BB exclusives.

One primary reason for this is that stores' pricematching policies require that the mfg. model number be exactly the same. Club stores by their nature collect a membership fee every year which along with other factors contributing to lower overhead give them an advantage over more traditional retailers as far as the ability to whittle down prices.

That being said it's been my experience that often a traditional retailer will have a sale price that is actually lower than the closest comparable set at a club store, so it's not always safe to assume that the club store will be cheaper in every instance.

Some buyers also may need the more flexible financing or delivery and/or installation options that traditional retailers offer.

post #7 of 72 Old 05-20-2011, 04:08 PM

I will probably be getting the 32" on Sunday. Going to check it out at BJ's and see what it says on the box and check their policies too. Hopefully will have it hooked up later that day and get a test run on it as a regular TV and as a computer monitor.

EDIT:
Alright got the TV installed in the room and tested out Cable (reg def as cable box needs to be upgraded or cable card setup needed on HTPC). Seems to have one of the better pictures I have seen on reg def cable from a HD TV. I attached the computer via HDMI and I get a slightly smaller fill on the TV even with the fill adjustment. Seems to be about a 1" missing on the left/right. Very crisp text in 1080p on the computer though so that helps . Tested Gladiator on DVD and looks very good IMHO. Will test BluRay once I get the software setup to handle the discs.
post #8 of 72 Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM

hey everyone my names alan, i was told that coming to this site would help me alot, i recently got a sony kdl-46bx420 and i want to calibrate it right, does anyone have the calibration, im using my tv for from my ps3, xbox360 and a western digital hd live player, would be great if anyone can help
post #9 of 72 Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 AM

You could use the AVS HD709 DVD to calibrate your TV. It's free and was made by people on this forum.

A quick search and you'll find it right away.
post #10 of 72 Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM

thanks for that, but im looking for one that does the advance settings too, with the white balance and the gains
post #11 of 72 Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkoos View Post
hey everyone my names alan, i was told that coming to this site would help me alot, i recently got a sony kdl-46bx420 and i want to calibrate it right, does anyone have the calibration, im using my tv for from my ps3, xbox360 and a western digital hd live player, would be great if anyone can help
Here is the calibration that was used by televisioninfo.com when they tested the set:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm

I'm still not 100% sold on this, as I have trouble getting used to the Warm 2 setting. I'm still using the Standard set calibration, hoping to find a good middle ground between that and the above.
post #12 of 72 Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Im still running stock calibration heh. Been busy with life so haven't had time to spend adjusting it.

You could go with the X-Rite systems... I have used them with copiers at work and worked well... Can be on the pricey side but runs hardware to read the screen. Or spend $200 and have geek squad to do it. Trying to get my friend to come out and calibrate mine but he doesn't do that stuff, just install.

Still loving the TV. Though trying to figure this out. With computer display now it will fill almost all the screen. But when running bluray via computer with HDMI it shrinks the viewing size to probably 30" or less. I have yet to try a stand alone bluray player but wondering if anyone else has this? Minor annoyance, kind of already used to it but would be nice to fill the screen. The 360 plays just fine via hdmi.
post #13 of 72 Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 AM

I picked up a 46BX420 after our 42WE610 died on Thursday and I am absolutely loving it so far. The picture is fantastic right out of the box.

One minor complaint though. When watching regular DVDs, it takes a few seconds for the screen to change resolution (at least I believe that's what its doing) from the menu to the episode. For example, from the episode selection on the DVD, we push play and the screen goes black. The episode then starts playing but the first 1 or 2 seconds were missed. We then have to scan back to the beginning of the chapter to see the first couple seconds. This isn't a player problem as we have our Blu-Ray player going through HDMI to our tuner and then to the TV. We hear the sound for the missing seconds of show but just don't have a picture. If we turn the tuner off and use the TV speakers, we don't get sound or a picture for those couple seconds.
post #14 of 72 Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Thank guys, ill try it and see what happens, update if anything good
post #15 of 72 Old 06-17-2011, 04:04 PM

I can't believe more people don't have this tv due to its price range and the overall reviews I have been reading.
post #16 of 72 Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM

anyone know if the remote is programable? I can't get the TV to turn off when my cable box connected via HDMI is turned off.

thanks
post #17 of 72 Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 AM

Hi everybody. I got a question

I just got the 46BX420 a week ago.
- Great picture right out of the box.
- Few bells and whistles (that's good or bad depending on your tastes)
- Good price

Connections:
HTPC connected to the VGA
Wii connected to composite
TimeWarner cable connected to COAX
DVD player connected to the HDMI.

Now to the question:
One of the main reasons I went with this TV is for the Picture in Picture (PIP) feature. While my PC is on the main screen I watch/listen to TV (from cable) in the corner.

I can only get PIP to work if the PC is connected to the VGA, not the HDMI.
My PC has HDMI natively. I have to use an adaptor to get it to VGA. Anybody else got PIP to work via HDMI?? Granted it's a minor annoyance. This is a great TV for the price.

Thanks

"Your Karma ran over my Dogma"
post #18 of 72 Old 07-17-2011, 03:25 PM

This TV is way better than the Vizio E420VL I bought off Dell last summer!

I really wish I had stuck with Sony from 720p to 1080p instead of trying a damn Vizio.

The picture was never that good no matter how many times I calibrated it and it sucked for sports. 120hz didn't do it any favors as this Sony with only 60hz is superior to it. I won't go into detail about it, but I tested this Sony and had no issues with sports or picture performance, but the Vizio always left me unsatisfied.

I finally decided to sell the Vizio and get another Sony.

I chose this over another Sony that cost a couple hundred more for one reason though: sound leveler.

That is a deal breaker as my wife's Sony in the living room doesn't have this and it is too damn annoying.

The BX420 only has two HDMI inputs and I have 3 HDMI devices: Xbox 360, DTV, and my blu-ray player. No big deal to take a few seconds and switch out the top HDMI input for the other's HDMI cable.

Picture is astounding. Don't have to mess with it at all from default settings to be happy, unlike the Vizio.

Oh, and this is way better for gaming than the Vizio too.

I'M JUST SO HAPPY!!
post #19 of 72 Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 PM

great to hear all the positive reviews, my bx420 40" is being delivered tommorow, can't wait!!
post #20 of 72 Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 AM

Oh, another reason I chose this TV over another Sony is the grey bezel bottom Sony is using. Yuck!

You can have it any color you want...as long as it's black.

The only real negative I have for this TV is the sound. It ain't that good, but that's what surround sound is for.

It was funny to hear my magnum shots on Halo: Reach sound like duck quacks from the TV speakers though.
post #21 of 72 Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am pretty sold on this tv (got a great deal secondhand from craigslist). My only concern is whether or not I will be able to pick up ClearQam channels. For example, I should get all of these: http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...lineup_6372194

And I would love to see more people's calibration settings!

Also, does anyone know if this TV's remote can control the Sony A/V Receiver I have also? (STR-DH510)

What's your choice today?
Follow the Rules

post #22 of 72 Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 PM

I picked up the 32BX420 for my bedroom a little over a week ago, and I am LOVING this TV. Haven't done any calibration yet, but the picture is just beautiful. I imagine once it's properly calibrated, it will look spectacular.

I'm running my custom built desktop computer into this as a second monitor (via HDMI), and when I play just a regular DVD on it, and jump into bed, the picture is great (will be looking to get a Blu Ray RW in the next couple of weeks after research is done). Works wonderfully as just a monitor for browsing the web. Haven't tested it for gaming yet. I wish there were one more HDMI input, but that's a minor complaint.

This TV is so much nicer than the Sony Google Internet TV I purchased before hand. The TV itself looks great, it's lightweight, too. Very easy to wall mount. I think the sound is nice considering just 16 watts of speaker power.

Went to Brookstone, and picked up a set of RF noise cancelling earphones for about $60. I plug the transmitter into the back of my DVR, and can relax in bed.

If anybody is looking for a 32" TV, this is the way to go. This set is a steal at about $475!
post #23 of 72 Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, after hours of research and juggling numbers I am starting to feel this might be the 40in for replacing my Samsung 32A450. The thing I am worried about is glare and viewing angles on this model looking at the review on televisioninfo.com, I can't really find any other information on this model anywhere. Can anyone please take some pictures showing off glare and viewing angles?
The other TV I was looking at getting was the Samsung 40d630 but too many users in the forums have reported audio delay using external speakers which is a huge deal breaker.
TV will be mostly used for xbox 360 and watching HD movies, connected to my stereo using the analog audio (another reason I am pretty limited to choices).
post #24 of 72 Old 08-07-2011, 11:13 PM

Just picked up the KDL 32BX420 today at best buy. It was right next to a Panasonic Viera (also 1080p 60Hz), so I was able to make a side-by-side comparison. It was a tough choice, as they both looked excellent to me, but in the end, I felt the picture was just a slight bit better on the Sony than the Panny, and my wife came to the same conclusion on her own, so that was the final deciding factor lol!

I've got to say, it really is a beautiful set. I didn't calibrate it at first, and with it set to Vivid, the images really popped, but there was quite a bit of 'crush' in the black areas. I used the calibration that was used in the review from televisioninfo.com/content/Sony-KDL-46BX420-LCD-HDTV-Review/Calibration.htm. I liked the settings, but wasn't thrilled with them, so I eyeballed a few changes and figured I'd share them here. With the calibration above, the image seemed to not have that 'pop' or 'wow' factor, the image seemed on the dull or soft side, and colors weren't as vivid as I would have liked. Anyhow, here are the settings used, based on the calibration listed in the article above, with my changes noted (so folks who are already using the settings from the article can try changing just the values I've changed.)

My calibration settings for my KDL-32BX420:

Start in Custom mode

Setting / Default / Calibrated
Backlight / 5 / Max
Picture / 95 / 90
Brightness / 50 / 51
Color / 50 / 60*
Hue / 0 / 0
Color Temp / Warm 2 / Neutral*
Sharpness / Min / 10*
Noise Reduction / Off / Off
MPEG Noise Reduction / Off / Off
Cinemotion / Off / Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer / Off / Off
Black Corrector / Off / Off
Gamma / 0 / 0
Clear White / Off / Off
Live Color / Off / Off

Values in this color (teal) are the default values for Custom mode.
Values in this color (green) are the default calibration settings from televisioninfo.com.
Values in this color (red) are values I changed from the televisioninfo.com calibration settings. These also contain an asterisk next to them, to make them easier to locate quickly.

Just figured I'd post the settings that I'm using that I personally prefer over the televisioninfo settings, in case anyone else wants to try them and see if they improve things for them or not. Hope this is helpful to someone.

-George
post #25 of 72 Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Is the lack of 120hz on this set at all noticeable? Any traces of blur or ghosting? Thanks.
post #26 of 72 Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 AM

Was looking into these but I've read elsewhere that the viewing angle on the 40" is unusually narrow (worse than is typical for LCD by some accounts). Can anyone here comment?
post #27 of 72 Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 AM

Has anyone else noticed a long delay between pressing the power button and seeing a picture, like 7-10 seconds after the sony logo appears This is my first LCD, my plasma doesn't do this.
Any ideas or thoughts? thanks.
post #28 of 72 Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Hey guys, I just got the 32BX420, it looks really nice and am satisfied with it as my first LCD HDTV. I used George's tweaks of TI's custom settings and got a really nice quality from it. Sometime into Robin Hood, I started to notice somewhat of a grainy kind of picture quality, only in certain scenes and if you looked a little bit closer at it.

Everything else seems to be super crisp that I have played other then, mostly PS3 games. Any reason that particular blu-ray might be somewhat grainy?
post #29 of 72 Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM

I just can't go along with a calibration that has the backlight on max!
Hard to believe the blacks wouldn't suffer somehow even with brightness lower. I've seen other post calibration values for the '420 with the backlight at 5 or 6. Dunno, just my 2 cents.
post #30 of 72 Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 PM

That makes sense, here is my custom settings, would appreciate some feedback.

backlight: 8
picture 95
brightness: 55
color 60
hue 0
color temp neutral
sharpness 10
everythng else same
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl32bx420 32 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread