HiSense F40V87C - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked one up at Frys to try out.. (sorry if they're kind of big, need a few more posts before I can link urls)

Spec Summary: 40.0" 1080P LCD HDTV,ATSC/NTSC TUNER,PC INPUT,2 HDMI,HIGH GLOSS BLACK

Here are some initial pictures, it is late so I'll just start with these few:

Pixels (S-PVA in V-RGB arrangement?)

Factory Service menu:

HiSense F40V87C vs LG 42LK450, taken @ 1/500s (lag was dead even)

HiSense F40V87C vs Dell 21" Ultrascan P1110 @1280x768, 60hz (only took a few shots, varied from 16-50ms or so?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 AM

I bought one also. It should be OK for a bedroom TV
post #3 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 109
HiSense may be GoodSense for a bedroom TV but to me it makes NoSense for a higher end application.
post #4 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Hello. I also bought one of these from Frys! I know this is a bad idea, but I have nothing else to try it with right now, my DVD player is not working. I am testing this with a Wii. Yes I know the Wii is only putting out 480p. But I'm trying to figure out if its "supposed" to look this terrible and grainy or is it just this TV? Is the up-scalar any good on this TV? Trying to decide if I should keep it or not. Thanks!
post #5 of 25 Old 05-27-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

You get what you pay for. If you are satisfied with a terrible TV because you got it at a cheap price, then keep it. We can't make those decisions for you.

As I said above, HiSense makes NoSense.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-27-2011, 05:21 AM

I did do a bit of research and all the reviews were surprisingly good for these Hisense LCD TVs. Actually I wasnt able to find a bad review. As far as what I've been reading the Wii is "supposed" to look bad on larger TVs because of the up-scaling from 480p. I'll try an actual hi-def DVD before I make a decision.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this brand? From the tests virotek did, those delays seem pretty good right..?

How do I get into the factory service menu? Can I tweak the up-scaling settings from there?
post #7 of 25 Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post

I did do a bit of research and all the reviews were surprisingly good for these Hisense LCD TVs. Actually I wasnt able to find a bad review. As far as what I've been reading the Wii is "supposed" to look bad on larger TVs because of the up-scaling from 480p. I'll try an actual hi-def DVD before I make a decision.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this brand? From the tests virotek did, those delays seem pretty good right..?

How do I get into the factory service menu? Can I tweak the up-scaling settings from there?

My Wii looks great on my Samsung LN46A650.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-27-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Before blaming the scaler on the tv try using component video cables (RCA cables color coded green/red/blue) for the Wii instead of the single yellow video cable that came with the console.

It's not uncommon for these newly released no-name sets to get good user reviews initially. They're usually the first and only HD sets the new owners have any experience with and look lots better than the 13" Emersons they're usually replacing. PQ isn't horrible with good sources so they congratulate themselves on saving so much money. A couple of months after the warranty expires the sets crap out and the owners find there's no customer support for them. Then they look for the next no-name bargain set and the cycle repeats itself.

Steve S.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 PM

You are correct. I picked up some Wii component cables this afternoon. Also there was a setting on the Wii to make it output 480p instead of 480i. The picture looks awesome now.

You all sound like diehard domestic car snobs when Toyota and Honda starting to sell here. I don't mind giving these companies a chance if the features are just as good or better. If you can give me something substantial to test and see it fail I surely wouldn't keep the TV and pick up a Samsung tomorrow. But in store I just didn't see any difference.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post

You are correct. I picked up some Wii component cables this afternoon. Also there was a setting on the Wii to make it output 480p instead of 480i. The picture looks awesome now.

You all sound like diehard domestic car snobs when Toyota and Honda starting to sell here. I don't mind giving these companies a chance if the features are just as good or better. If you can give me something substantial to test and see it fail I surely wouldn't keep the TV and pick up a Samsung tomorrow. But in store I just didn't see any difference.

Fed good signals these bargain sets don't look bad initially to anyone other than the fussy "videophiles". Just don't expect it to hold up in the long term or to have any significant mfg. support once the warranty expires.

The earliest Toyotas and Hondas actually did not hold up nearly as well as late 60s domestics, but they rusted out before the mechanical failures occurred so the shortcomings of their engines/transmissions etc. only were apparent in dry states.

Also, Toyota and Honda made great efforts to provide good customer support.
At the Toyota dealership where I went to work in '71 we were regularly overhauling out-of-warranty engines and trannies at the factory's expense.

This, along with Herculean efforts to improve thier products, meant that by the mid-late 70s they were virtually bulletproof mechanically.

My dad was one of those naysayers when Toyota first re-appeared in the US market circa 1967. My subsequent experience at that dealership justified his lack of faith in those initial models. His current '05 Prius is his 5th Japanese car.

I sincerely doubt if HiSense is committed enough to the US market to go to the lengths that Honda and Toyota did.

I'm not telling you to return it and get something more expensive, just not to expect a trouble-free long-term ownership experience. Not everyone buys for the long term any more for a variety of good reasons so there's every chance your new set will satisfy your needs.

Steve S.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-28-2011, 02:37 PM

HiSense F40V87C features are 10 Watt Stereo Speakers, composite and component Inputs, Full Function Remote Control, Earphone Jack, VGA Input, High Gloss Black Finish, Sleep timer.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 AM

Wow!
post #13 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

There are also a couple start-up logos you can change it to in the service menu:
  • Polaroid
  • Element
  • Sens
  • Pixela
  • Ganzklar
Examples:

post #14 of 25 Old 05-29-2011, 05:23 PM

virotek,

I have yet to hook mine up. I am waiting on my wallmount to get here from monoprice. What do you think about it? Do you have fios? If so does hdmi from the stb look ok?
post #15 of 25 Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd change mine to Ganzklar and tell everybody it's an uberexpensive German import like those Loewe crts from a while back!

Steve S.
post #16 of 25 Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 PM

the tv seriously diplays the logo of another tv? lmao. that is NOT a good sign.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-05-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^All it means is that whoever's the oem for the HiSense also supplies sets to be sold under those other brand names--in other words you can buy the same basic set under several different brand names.

Funai makes sets under the Sylvania and Magnavox names--only differences are the name embossed on the bezel under the screen--the control buttons on both brands are in the exact same place, and the serial number labels on both state they are made by Funai.

This sort of thing happens a lot at the low end of the market these days--Dynex sets at BB are made by the same company that built Polaroid sets for Circuit City a few years ago.

It wasn't always restricted to the low end of the market.

Color tv was first introduced to the American market in 1953. For the first few years there were only two or three brands available and several large electronics companies didn't make them at all. Then in the early 60s demand for color sets mushroomed with the debut of Bonanza and a few other color shows and sets showed up on the market under a lot of names that'd never sold them before-- Admiral, Sylvania, Philco, Sears Silvertone, and several others. Close inspection revealed that all these brands had the control knobs and such in the exact same places--all these sets used chassis supplied by RCA. This held for a few years until many of these brands developed their own chassis but most still used CRTS made by RCA.

Steve S.
post #18 of 25 Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 AM

Virotek -
I purchased one of these the other day, happy so far with it. How do you get into the factory service menu?
post #19 of 25 Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

This sort of thing happens a lot at the low end of the market these days--Dynex sets at BB are made by the same company that built Polaroid sets for Circuit City a few years ago.

Now here is something interesting. I bought the Hisense 40" mentioned in this thread for my kids play room, so it's mostly for their Nintendo Wii.

But for our family room I was looking for something bigger. A few days ago I picked up an LG (47LW5600) which has 3D, LED, 120Hz, all those bells and whistles. But yesterday I just happened to come across someone selling a bunch of NuVision TV's. I have never heard of these but apparently they are super high end. Hmm.

So I picked up a 52" NuVision FX5 thinking I'd try it out and sell it if I didn't like it, or return the LG if I do like it. Guess what? When I turned the thing on this thing has the Hisense on screen display...!

The picture is really awesome, I'm impressed. But I'm no videophile, so I'd defer to someone else to tell me if this is a legit company, or just high priced for the sake of high prices. Apparently the TV retailed for $3700 when it was released. Not bad for a Hisense..?

http://hd.engadget.com/2008/08/10/nu...lucidium-lcds/
http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics...ew/588921.html

Also check out this and look under Known Suppliers. This comes up when you search for NuVision Hisense - looks like they do purchase "something" from Hisense. I wonder if its the same panel and everything or just the electronics?

http://www.importgenius.com/importers/nu-vision-us-inc

Attaching a couple pics, so you can see the OSD.
LL
LL
post #20 of 25 Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 AM

@ virotek

it looks like you are looking at that screen without pixel per pixel.. I am having the same issue with it I cannot get the EDID info via HDMI to make an HTPC display properly on that screen. it seems to be doing some screen overscan and I cannot change the input to be anything other than "Wide" mode.

---Has anyone gotten this thing to show Pixel x Pixel at the published 1920x1080 (or any other custom resolution for that matter) the artifacts on the screen are terrible while it shows in the overscanned version.

---or can I get a a nudge to get into the service menu and find out how to fix it myself?

Much appreciation.
post #21 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 AM

I have the HiSense Model:F24V77C in my bedroom for the past 14 months, and am very pleased with the set. I recently looked at the Model:F40V87C at hhgregg with my 9 year old. While looking at the set with the salesman, my 9 year old picked up a remote from another set and started changing channels. The catch was that the remote was for the same sized LG set. Although the remotes were different in appearance, both remotes were fully functional on both sets. Being curious, I tried the HiSense 24 inch model remote on the 24 inch LG, no surprise, they both were fully functional on both sets. After researching, there is no information as to "who" builds the HiSense sets, or if HiSense builds for other manufacturers, i.e., LG. As we are all fully aware, there are only a few companies that actually build electronics, and place other names on them for that company. All said, China, like Korea in the past, doesn't have copyright agreements with all countries. Yes, the sets are less expensive and do have flaws, but there is no cost of R&D for the manufacturing companies, as well as using rejected / seconds, of the display panels, equating into a lower end price. And of course we all know that companies do not reverse engineer competitors products, that would be unethical.....(I wonder how many products are being reverse engineered while typing this??)
No, this is not the set for the video critic, but for the average user, I see no real issues. At under $400, two years use, consider it disposable. If you want better support and warranty, buy and extended warranty, or a more expensive set, but still buy the extended warranty. Just as a light bulb, man made it and it is going to stop working. When? Maybe the next time you try to turn it on.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Lkr
AVS Special Member

I've been looking at these Hisense TVs as a bedroom TV upgrade. I have bought big brands before(I still have a Sony CRT HDTV, I have an LG plasma, etc), but I also have a Vizio that has been running well for about 4 years(knock on wood). A 1080p 22" HiSense was on sale for $150 at HHGregg and I got it for $130 total. It is only hooked up to an SD source, but so far it runs fine. It replaces an almost 15 year old display model Zenith that had been in the room. As bad as the SD content looks on this TV, it is still a step up from that Zenith that had unreadable text displayed on screen.

Now I am looking to perhaps get a 40" 1080p TV by this brand to use with HD content, video games, and display a PC for movies. I am hesitant. I'd feel more comfortable getting a Vizio, another budget brand, but still one that people actually respect now(they didn't have as much respect in 08, and I took somewhat of a gamble on it). The Hisense is cheaper and 3" bigger however, so I'm not sure what to do.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Is there a prohibition against posting the method of reaching the service menu? I tried a number of things I found for similar models online and none work. Would love it if the original poster would post how to access it, but given the radio silence on this front I wonder if it's either tacitly or explicitly frowned upon.
post #24 of 25 Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM

Not sure, I assume the OP just hasn't returned to this forum.

Although I returned the HiSense 40" I kept the NuVision Lucidium FX5 52" which I'm still thinking has a HiSense computer and LCD. It is still going strong and looks great with BluRay quality MKV's.

I'm guessing the NuVision has similar service menu so it would be nice to access that. But I have no idea.
post #25 of 25 Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 AM

So, I managed to get into the service menu, and while I was diligent about writing down any setting before I touched it, I did eventually touch an "aging" and/or "burn" mode setting, which, predictably and sadly, put the TV in a mode I cannot escape from without a code.

If anyone has a service manual, please PM me with the code to leave aging/burn mode.

Thanks,
Ben

P.S. Yes, I realize I am an idiot.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page