Anyone have experience with 60" Westinghouse - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ace5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OHIO
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw this at BB for just under a G... any good? Westinghouse 60" VR-6025Z

http://westinghousedigital.com/produ...42-55/vr6025z/

Pretty good price.
ace5000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sitlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would absolutely stay away from that brand. They may make good toasters, but they do not make good tv's.
sitlet is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Don't know what the price it, but cut it in half and I still wouldn't have a Westinghouse TV.
BoilerJim is online now  
post #4 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mes444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 2,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
++^^
mes444 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Maybe do a Forum search on Westinghouse tvs--there are more than a few threads on 'em around here.

If you go into it with the expectation that it's going to be a disposable tv that won't outlive it's warranty by much, you won't be disappointed.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Newbie
 
tpressman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the Westinghouse VR-6025Z last week. The quality of the image when viewing Comcast cable from a cable box/DVR is crap - there appears to be little to no image processing going on.

When viewing BluRay or BluRay rips, the image is great.

There is significant glare on the screen due to my bright room.

There is a delay when attached to my computer. I haven't run the delay test suite yet but I'm curious to do so. It's completely tolerable when used as a main display for an HTPC (running Boxee, etc).

I have noticed 6 dark spots in the center of the screen in the shape of a diamond when I was attempting to calibrate the screen. They appear when there is high brightness and lower contrast. I'm not an AV geek by any means, so I have no idea if these spots are a telltale sign of a defect.

My total out of pocket for this TV is $899, so I don't think I can beat the size for the price. I'll keep this, unless the spots are a defect, and wait for the next generation of TVs before upgrading. It's good enough, but by no means is it right for a home theater enthusiast.

Two images attached of the spots. I'd love to hear feedback on what these are.
LL
LL
tpressman is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ace5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OHIO
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I'm glad I asked. Those pics look terrible - so sorry. It is $999.000.
ace5000 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 AM
Newbie
 
tpressman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up returning the Westinghouse and getting a Sharp lc60e78un for an extra $100. Worth it.
tpressman is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
ace5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OHIO
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpressman View Post

I ended up returning the Westinghouse and getting a Sharp lc60e78un for an extra $100. Worth it.

A sharp for $999? Where?!
ace5000 is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ouch...its $799 now at BB.

I have a 47" 1st gen Westinghouse 1080p LCD in our bedroom that is still going strong after I think almost 5 years.

This seems to be the only thread on it but at $799 did make me wonder if it would be a decent deal.

Does anyone else own a VR-6025Z?
Eric_Connelly is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gagit811's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

Ouch...its $799 now at BB.

I have a 47" 1st gen Westinghouse 1080p LCD in our bedroom that is still going strong after I think almost 5 years.

This seems to be the only thread on it but at $799 did make me wonder if it would be a decent deal.

Does anyone else own a VR-6025Z?

I bought a 42'' in 07, the tv was $800 when 42'' at the time were going for $1200. It also had 4 hdmi inputs when 2 was more common. I will say its not the best for PQ but for the time it was cheaper and had more features then other brands.
gagit811 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

I bought a 42'' in 07, the tv was $800 when 42'' at the time were going for $1200. It also had 4 hdmi inputs when 2 was more common. I will say its not the best for PQ but for the time it was cheaper and had more features then other brands.

I picked mine up as a floor model for about $600 which for a 1080p was absolutely un heard of at the time, especially for a 47".

It just has the single HDMI but dual DVI's. PQ is good enough for the bedroom and most content off of an Apple TV.
Eric_Connelly is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
does any one else own this tv?
Spidergames is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Newbie
 
dragongravy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my first experience with Westinghouse was over 6 years ago when their 32" LCD gained such high accolades as a great tv and a great computer monitor. i have used that tv every day since i bought it without a single problem. so with this reputation i decided to buy the VR-6025Z. using an employee discount i got the tv for $829. it has its pros and cons as i have discovered. when hooked to an hd signal it has a great picture, for me any way. works great for both my computer and Xbox, and soon a ps3. my computer is connected through an hdmi cable and i experience no lag what so ever. tons of input options as well, but only 3 hdmi inputs. 4 really would have been optimum for me, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

the main issue i have is the need to input a code in order to scan for terrestrial digital signals, and clear QAM. Westinghouse gives numerous options to receive the code, email, phone, text or internet. the telephone and the net are the only two reliable ways i found to get it. they never responded to my text nor my email. here is where this scheme breaks down. i entered the code provided but it would not unlock ATSC or the QAM channel scanner. after numerous calls with Westinghouse, they finally told me that QAM scanning was turned off at the factory and there is no code to unlock it. they still contend that the code provided to me would unlock it to scan terrestrial signals, but it doesn't. so is this a deal breaker? for me it just might be. if i had an hd cable box i wouldn't care, but i still have a little time to decide before i am unable to return it. if i could find modified firmware that removes the code i would definitely keep it. it is too bad that this is not mentioned any where on their website or the materials that came with the tv.
dragongravy is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
JoeBel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

A sharp for $999? Where?!

BB, it had been $899 ($799 for BF) for a while but went up to $999 recently. Great deal on a very solid CCFL LCD, many happy user reviews: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...41541&st=sharp 60&cp=1&lp=3
JoeBel is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Member
 
Tim in Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hollywood and Omaha
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a 47" Westinghouse ~ 5 years ago. Other than the remote control sending a weak signal, the TV has mostly worked without problems.

Given that experience and the great price ($799) on the 60" VR-6025Z, I purchased it a few weeks ago.

Seems fine so far. Admittedly, I'm not a major TV snob. I'm not willing to pay 200-400% more $$$ for a 5-10% PQ difference.

I'd recommend this TV for the value shopper. If you are ultra-picky and have the urge to run tests to find real or perceive defects, this may not be the TV for you.
Tim in Hollywood is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Member
 
grich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MP89.5, Mason City Subdivision
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragongravy View Post

my first experience with Westinghouse was over 6 years ago when their 32" LCD gained such high accolades as a great tv and a great computer monitor. i have used that tv every day since i bought it without a single problem. so with this reputation i decided to buy the VR-6025Z. using an employee discount i got the tv for $829. it has its pros and cons as i have discovered. when hooked to an hd signal it has a great picture, for me any way. works great for both my computer and Xbox, and soon a ps3. my computer is connected through an hdmi cable and i experience no lag what so ever. tons of input options as well, but only 3 hdmi inputs. 4 really would have been optimum for me, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

the main issue i have is the need to input a code in order to scan for terrestrial digital signals, and clear QAM. Westinghouse gives numerous options to receive the code, email, phone, text or internet. the telephone and the net are the only two reliable ways i found to get it. they never responded to my text nor my email. here is where this scheme breaks down. i entered the code provided but it would not unlock ATSC or the QAM channel scanner. after numerous calls with Westinghouse, they finally told me that QAM scanning was turned off at the factory and there is no code to unlock it. they still contend that the code provided to me would unlock it to scan terrestrial signals, but it doesn't. so is this a deal breaker? for me it just might be. if i had an hd cable box i wouldn't care, but i still have a little time to decide before i am unable to return it. if i could find modified firmware that removes the code i would definitely keep it. it is too bad that this is not mentioned any where on their website or the materials that came with the tv.

What is the error message when you enter the code? I just helped someone in the office do this. The entered code did not work...error said wrong code entered. Went to their online chat, got someone within a minute, and she figured out what we thought was a lower-case L in the serial number was actually an "I". Got a different code and it worked. Still weird to go through hoops like this to make the TV do something required by FCC rule.
grich is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 12-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hunter844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I guess asking if anyone has good calibration settings for this VR6025Z is out of the question? My dad bought one about a year ago...I tried getting it set up by eyeball but just haven't ever been satisfied. FWIW...other than motion blur via Dish Network the picture has been moderately decent but you can tell it's a cheap LCD. I've not discovered any major panel issues and this one was purchased from a recovered goods outlet for around $450.
Hunter844 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off