Newbie - HDMI failure on Samsung LN52A750 - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Newbie - HDMI failure on Samsung LN52A750
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 07:42 AM 06-03-2011
Greetings,

I've searched around a lot and can find lots of info on HDMI and HCDP handshaking, but I can't seem to find a source to troubleshoot the actual behavior you see on the ports themselves...

Before I start - I've tried multiple HDMI devices (DirecTV receiver, PS3, laptop) and I've tried all ports on the TV. All devices worked up until a few days ago. I've tried new HDMI cables. I updated the firmware (which was 99999 prior to update, so I thought that might have been a corruption issue - at first). Component connections work from receiver and PS3 (can't test from laptop). I've tried resetting the TV, I've tried the 10-minute unplug trick with no HDMI cables connected, I've tried changing the power-on order... I'm at my wit's end. I also tried Samsung's "chat" service and it was useless to me. They knew less about the troubleshooting than I found on this site.

Before I call for service and incur a massive expense, I just want to understand the behavior I see on the source list. I see the HDMI sources as active when they're plugged in and the devices are on - and it responds appropriately when I power off the PS3 (greys out the source). So there's some signal there. It will try "searching for signal" before "no signal" message comes on, regardless of source. When I tested with my laptop, my laptop could tell it was a Samsung, so some data must be passing via the cable.

Any suggestions before I suffer through a likely support nightmare? The only service center is about an hour away and there is only one option, and it sounds like a tiny shop (odd email address)...

Thanks to all in advance that may be able to help point me in the right direction!

walford's Avatar walford 09:54 AM 06-03-2011
Possibly the HDMI receiver chip in the TV has failed since there is no evidence of any HDMI audio or video signal being received on any port.
gwentoyits45's Avatar gwentoyits45 10:06 AM 06-03-2011
you might want to check on that
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 10:46 AM 06-03-2011
Thanks for your quick replies!

How would I test the HDMI receiver chip? And if the chip was fried, would my laptop still be able to determine that the device on the other end of the HDMI connection was a Samsung? (it has never been connected to the device before). That is what is making me suspicious that the ports might be ok and that I'm having some other problem...

But alas, it is sounding like my only option is Samsung support...
Do-It-Yourself's Avatar Do-It-Yourself 12:17 PM 06-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by frusterpated View Post

Thanks for your quick replies!

How would I test the HDMI receiver chip? And if the chip was fried, would my laptop still be able to determine that the device on the other end of the HDMI connection was a Samsung? (it has never been connected to the device before). That is what is making me suspicious that the ports might be ok and that I'm having some other problem...

But alas, it is sounding like my only option is Samsung support...

Your television would not have an HDMI output, only input.
If you've tried several HDMI cables (at least 2 - since one could be a faulty cable) on the exact same input (like HDMI 1/2/3/or 4) and nothing turns out right, then either your chip malfunctioned or that specific input is no longer usable. Obviously this is what you did, to no avail.

You could try using the VGA port on your television and see if you see your laptops' desktop displayed. Or of cousre, you can go to a much easier route by using component cables. If those work, then your HDMI board is dead.

Right now, its just best to call Samsung Support and get it fixed. That is really your option at this point.
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 01:11 PM 06-03-2011
Did I say HDMI output? I didn't see that in my thread - my bad if I did. I was using the HDMI input from the HDMI output on my laptop for one of the tests, if that's what you're referring to.

Regardless, THANK YOU! I did contact the local Authorized Samsung service provider. They are saying it sounds like the digital board failed in the TV since analog is all working fine... but of course they won't know until they come out to service the unit (or I drop it off, whatever the action might be).

I will post what the final resolution is once it is completed for other people's reference.

Thanks again to all!
mmichii's Avatar mmichii 04:34 PM 06-03-2011
why don't you just replace the board yourself and save the money.

www.samsungparts.com

you probably will be more careful than said professional. just talking from personal experience. guy who swapped my main board on my 40a750 didn't put the the metal cage back on correctly and cracked a screw hole on the back cover.
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 08:07 AM 06-07-2011
Hi!

I tried the link you suggested but they didn't have any of the board components... Plus, there's the added value of "you break it, YOU fix it" that you get from a service organization... ?

I scheduled service for next week - $$$ (OUCH!) I will post what part(s) actually end up needing to be replaced.

Thanks to all!
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 10:02 AM 06-14-2011
Service is onsite - they installed a new main board and... it still doesn't work! They don't know what the issue is... So they put my old board back in and they're going to order another... Shall we take bets?
walford's Avatar walford 05:01 PM 06-14-2011
It is a shame that the the techs that showed up were so totally incompetent in determining what board is casusing your problem.
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 09:53 AM 06-16-2011
The amazing thing to me is that seemingly have no tools to do diagnostics - really?! Let's just order another and try again? As an old PC tech, I highly doubt that the board would be defective in the same was as the original board (possible, but not very likely)... I would have expected them to have a diagnostics board or something to test for wiring faults, etc.... Wow. And this from an authorized Samsung shop. I don't think it's the tech's fault - I think it's a lack of them being provided with appropriate tools... but who knows.
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 10:22 AM 06-22-2011
Oh, man... It just gets better. So they send the poor tech out here with another board. SURPRISE!!! Same problem!

He calls his tech folks AND Samsung and they both tell him the same thing - my PS3 must have sent out an incorrect voltage and fried every board that I've had up until now... and it must have caused this voltage issue with my DirecTV receiver as well, so I have no valid test devices. As soon as I plug in the PS3 to test, it destroys the board... they think.

Hmm, what are the odds that an old PS3 (supposedly this problem has been seen on the PS3 slim, which we don't have) that worked for over 2.5 years suddenly started exhibiting this behavior, AND it sent the voltage through other ports and affected my DVR/Satellite receiver too? Yet component and composite both work well (on the same board)...

I am not buying it, but it sounds like they won't send the tech out again (?!?!) because it's not cost-effective for the business... A 2 year, 3 month old TV garbage? And since I have no viable way to test (should they be right, should I risk someone else's device to test my PS3?), I'm just basically supposed to replace ALL of my devices?

ARGH!!!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :-) I am thinking of researching where the pinouts for power are on the HDMI cables so I can try to check it without connecting it to something, but the HDMI spec is crazy-tight, so I'm not sure I will be able to pull that off...
walford's Avatar walford 11:53 AM 06-22-2011
Some multiport HDMI receiver chips designs are very subject to failure due to power surges and are not really protected by surge protectors even ones built into the TV's power supply. Did you have any power failures or bad fluctuations or lighting problems in your home before the first board "failed". The EDID data that your devices are receiving over the HDMI connection AFAIK comes from a separate EDID chip. I think it is possible that the board that has been replaced twice never failed.
Can you connect your PS3 or directTV box to any other TV in your home over HDMI.
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 01:39 PM 06-22-2011
Thank you for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I tried every HDMI device I had, and I only have one HDMI TV. I have an older TV and some monitors that would require I use HDMI to DVI adapters (which I don't yet have)... and based on their answer, I was scared to try hooking up either "supposedly fried" device to a working monitor to see if it works, since they were suggesting it would fry whatever it plugged into (which sounded like BS, and most likely is)...

Your informative answer aligns with what I've been reading in my research attempts. :-) I don't think there's anything wrong with the board, but that's the only option they've given the tech. The last "story" sent me over the edge. I called Sony and they called BS... To see behavior like that the entire box would have to be fried...

Yes, there was a storm the day I experienced the problem, but no devices were on during the storm and it was surge protected (although we know the questionable value of that)... So there is some possibility, but Sony was suggesting that should that have affected the PS3 (surge), it would have more wrong with it than just the HDMI...

They've put the old board back in both times, so at least I haven't paid for that, just the service call, but they made it fairly clear they wouldn't likely return to try and fix it again - not financially conducive for them...

So now I'm on the phone with Samsung support, hoping they can help. They're trying to call the service company now... To be fair, supposedly they've never seen an issue like this one where everything else on the main board works and a board replacement doesn't help.
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 02:49 PM 06-22-2011
AMAZING!!! Wow, I must bow down to Samsung Customer Service...

After a fairly lengthy but very polite and helpful call, they are exchanging my TV despite being well out of warranty. I'm stunned and thrilled!

I still wonder about the possibility of there being something wrong with the HDMI on my DVR/Satellite receiver and my PS3 though... Could there really be a possibility that something fried all of the devices simultaneously? I don't want to damage the new unit! :-)
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 02:54 PM 06-22-2011
And does anyone know what the comparable 2011 model is? Apparently it's unlikely they'll be able to exchange with my current model...
walford's Avatar walford 05:05 PM 06-22-2011
There is only one HDMI receiver chip in the TV and the one you have apparently supports 4 ports. Your TV is never "off" it is in stanby so it can respond to your remote.
You can get a DVI to HDMI video adapter for a couple of $.
As I stated before many surge protectors can not protect against many power surges.
Since I don't know the model number of your current TV I can't tell what the 2011 corresponding model. Howeveer if you have a Samsung 50A1234 or 50B1234 model for example then the 2011 model would be a 50D1234. (D 2011 models)
BoilerJim's Avatar BoilerJim 05:27 PM 06-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

There is only one HDMI receiver chip in the TV and the one you have apparently supports 4 ports. Your TV is never "off" it is in stanby so it can respond to your remote.
You can get a DVI to HDMI video adapter for a couple of $.
As I stated before many surge protectors can not protect against many power surges.
Since I don't know the model number of your current TV I can't tell what the 2011 corresponding model. Howeveer if you have a Samsung 50A1234 or 50B1234 model for example then the 2011 model would be a 50D1234. (D 2011 models)

The title of the thread says LN52A750. Since the 750 is no longer made and the D630 only comes in 40" and 46" sizes, I would try for the UN55D6300 or UN65D6400.
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 06:10 PM 06-22-2011
Thank you both for replying so quickly and helping me out!

I think the two LED models might be stretching it, although it looks like they no longer make LCDs in 2011 (?). I'm guessing they might offer a 2010 model - how about the LN55C750R2F? I am hoping it's acceptable for me to ask for another 750-series device since the lower end ones are much less expensive than my TV was... :-)
walford's Avatar walford 06:43 AM 06-23-2011
AFAIK all the current Samsung models offer you the chance for linear stretch, (and possiby)non-linear stretch, No stretch(4:3), and no overscan mode, Sorry I didn't check the subject for the model number.
You can check any of the 2011 (D series) models from the following link:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs
frusterpated's Avatar frusterpated 06:42 PM 06-28-2011
Hi!

I have to say that their customer service was exceptional! While I am still amazed that their techs have no diagnostic tools and just replace parts... Their customer support escalates quickly to "executive customer service" *haha* and I was granted an exchange despite being well out of warranty.

I do have to pay a prorated price for the new set ($450), but was offered the set that I thought was probably best for my needs (UN55D6300) and the prorated cost is definitely fair for the time I've owned the TV. I wasn't interested in 3D, so that was a solid choice for me. They got back to me quickly and made it as painless as possible, and they provided all of the information I needed.

Really - amazing customer service!

Thanks again to ALL for your help!
jimbo222's Avatar jimbo222 12:30 PM 08-22-2011
I was so excited to finally come across this thread as this is exactly my tv and problem. My house did get hit by lightening and this is one of the many things I need to repair. Unfortunately for me, the OP got a new TV and we didn't get to find a solution, so I guess I'll take over I think replacing the hdmi receiver chip is a good start but I can't find it anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

TV model is 52ln750aR1FXZA
74f100's Avatar 74f100 06:21 PM 08-22-2011
You will have to replace the main. The HDMI processor chip isn't offered as a replacement part, and even if it was, you won't be able to replace it.

The problem with the OP's TV was probably a bad main, but the tech that came out didn't check the HDMI with a known good device. I've done many of these, and my normal procedure is to replace the main, then connect HDMI to MY DVD player and test. Connecting to the device that HDMI was originally connected to will usually blow the HDMI processor again.

Since a HDMI processor is so small (small pins), the easiest test is to check for shorts across the small surface mount capacitors surrounding it. If these are shorted, then the processor is shorted. And if they are, DO NOT connect the device that was connected to HDMI (most often STB).

Jim
Tags: Samsung Ln52a750 52 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv
Up
Mobile  Desktop