Official Samsung UNXXD6900 Owner's thread. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 113 Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Picked up this TV yesterday un55d6900 with the sweet deal at Best Buy (2 3D glasses and a 22" TV). Got it home and the picture looks amazing. I have it hooked up to my apple tv and was playing a new episode of Once Upon A Time. I noticed some pretty bad judder, i saw in the post someone said to disable Auto Motion, ill give it a try when i get home, and also apply Soundlovr's settings he posted on the first page. But any other thoughts on this or should auto motiion being disabled fix it right up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMTrey View Post

Just picked up this TV a week or so ago. Is there a shortcut on the remote to change the picture settings. Say, if I want to go from watching sports, to playing the ps3 and changing the setting to "gaming", can I change the view with the click of a button on the remote, or do I have to navigate through the onscreen settings everytime?

Also, anything I need to know before setting up and messing around with the 3d setup?

Thanks!

I just picked it up last night but to my knowledge, the settings change with each input. So setup your gaming input for gaming and your cable input for sports. Dont think there is a way to quickly change it on the fly for a specific input.
post #93 of 113 Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan2004 View Post

Does anyone else have some vertical banding in the backlight? Trying to decide if mine is defective.

I do.

I've read posts about banding and flashlighting on the 6000 series Samsung TVs and am basically confused about what is a "normal" flaw that is a limitation of the technology and a flaw that is highlighted by the calibration settings.

My tv when I bought it blew me away. The picture popped and maybe had a bit too much of what I think people describe as the soap opera effect. But I never saw any banding and maybe light flashlighting.

But since I got the tv calibrated by an outside company (free promo with purchase) I now find the tv hard to watch. The banding evident on darkish backgrounds is really noticeable and distracting. Granted, the colors are much less saturated and more realistic after calibration, but the problems introduced make it worse than out of the box. Even after returning the tv to the standard setting (calibration was to movie setting) I notice the banding problem - less obvious, but still there. I can't say whether it was always there or if my eyes have been trained to look for it now.

From reading this and other forum posts it seeems that either:
a) the calibration is likely the culprit. Get it done again (even though color is more realistic).
b) the flashlighting and possibly banding are innate limitations to samsung leds at this price point, all you can do is try to mask it. A replacement of the same model will make no difference.
c) this model is a lemon. Other 46D6900 models should be good.
d) get a plasma or pay lots more for top end LEDs that should be better.
e) take your meds, you are just imagining these things.
e) other?

Cheers
post #94 of 113 Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM

In case others have banding issues, I called Samsung support and a guy came to my house today. Surprisingly good support!

The tech looked at my screen and is scheduling a visit to replace the panel, said it will take 45 mins. He said the banding is abnormal but said the flashlighting is unavoidable in LCD/LED technology today. Fingers crossed.
post #95 of 113 Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 AM

So i browsed the D6500 and D7000 threads looking for some calibration settings. I applied both of these last night to my un55D6900 and the top one looks the best in my openion. Looks great on my TV.

Movie:
Backlight: 13
Contrast: 98
Brightness 46
Sharpness: Changed to 13
Color: Changed to 50
Tint G 50/R50

Advanced:
Black Tone: Dark
Dynamic Contrast: off
Shadow Detail: 2
Gamma : 0
Expert Pattern off
RGB only mode: off

Color Space: Custom
Red (58-2-0)
Green (0-58-9)
Blue (7-0-54)
Yellow (48-53-7)
Cyan (0-54-58)
Magenta (56-4-45)

White Balance:
R-Offset 20
G-Offset 24
B-Offset 24
R-Gain 19
G-Gain 26
B-Gain 25

10p Whitebalance
Itvl R G B
1 5 1 -2
2 2 0 -1
3 0 0 -1
4 -2 -3 -3
5 0 -2 -3
6 1 1 -4
7 2 3 0
8 1 2 0
9 -1 2 2
10 0 1 1

Fleshtone: -1
Edge enhancement: off
Motion ligting: off
xvYCC: off
LED Motion Plus: off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm2
DNF: off
Mpeg NF: off
Automotion plus : Clear

Standard
Backlight 13 (seems to work great for lights on and off)
Contrast 80
Brightness 45
Sharpness 15
Color 47
Tint 50/50

Advanced Settings
Black Tone off
Dynamic Contrast off
Shadow Detail 0
Gamma 0
Expert Pat off
RGB off
Color space Custom

Red
Red 53
Green 0
Blue 0

Green
Red 0
Green 64
Blue 0

Blue
Red 1
Green 2
Blue 85

Yellow
Red 52
Green 52
Blue 0

Cyan
Red 0
Green 55
Blue 55

Magenta
Red 47
Green 0
Blue 65

White Balance
R-Offset 25
G-Offset 25
B-Offset 24
R-Gain 12
G-Gain 25
B-Gain 31

10p White Balance off
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement off
Motion Lighting off
LED Motion Plus off

Picture Options
Color Tone Warm2
Digital Noise Filter Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
HDMI Black Level (Greyed Out) Normal
Film Mode (Greyed out) off
Auto Motion Plus Clear
post #96 of 113 Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craer View Post

So i browsed the D6500 and D7000 threads looking for some calibration settings. I applied both of these last night to my un55D6900 and the top one looks the best in my openion. Looks great on my TV.

Movie:
Backlight: 13
Contrast: 98
Brightness 46
Sharpness: Changed to 13
Color: Changed to 50
Tint G 50/R50

Advanced:
Black Tone: Dark
Dynamic Contrast: off
Shadow Detail: 2
Gamma : 0
Expert Pattern off
RGB only mode: off

Color Space: Custom
Red (58-2-0)
Green (0-58-9)
Blue (7-0-54)
Yellow (48-53-7)
Cyan (0-54-58)
Magenta (56-4-45)

White Balance:
R-Offset 20
G-Offset 24
B-Offset 24
R-Gain 19
G-Gain 26
B-Gain 25

10p Whitebalance
Itvl R G B
1 5 1 -2
2 2 0 -1
3 0 0 -1
4 -2 -3 -3
5 0 -2 -3
6 1 1 -4
7 2 3 0
8 1 2 0
9 -1 2 2
10 0 1 1

Fleshtone: -1
Edge enhancement: off
Motion ligting: off
xvYCC: off
LED Motion Plus: off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm2
DNF: off
Mpeg NF: off
Automotion plus : Clear

Standard
Backlight 13 (seems to work great for lights on and off)
Contrast 80
Brightness 45
Sharpness 15
Color 47
Tint 50/50

Advanced Settings
Black Tone off
Dynamic Contrast off
Shadow Detail 0
Gamma 0
Expert Pat off
RGB off
Color space Custom

Red
Red 53
Green 0
Blue 0

Green
Red 0
Green 64
Blue 0

Blue
Red 1
Green 2
Blue 85

Yellow
Red 52
Green 52
Blue 0

Cyan
Red 0
Green 55
Blue 55

Magenta
Red 47
Green 0
Blue 65

White Balance
R-Offset 25
G-Offset 25
B-Offset 24
R-Gain 12
G-Gain 25
B-Gain 31

10p White Balance off
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement off
Motion Lighting off
LED Motion Plus off

Picture Options
Color Tone Warm2
Digital Noise Filter Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
HDMI Black Level (Greyed Out) Normal
Film Mode (Greyed out) off
Auto Motion Plus Clear

This is not calibration. You are merely making simple user adjustments. You need expensive training, equipment and software to perform calibration. You may wish to find a professional calibrator through the forum. It will cost a few bucks for a calibration.
post #97 of 113 Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM

My brother just bought this set from Best Buy and got a free 22 inch tv as well. He loves the picture but is having issue with the sound.

Apparently the dialogue sounds real low but the surround noise sounds amped up. Anyone else having this issue?
post #98 of 113 Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 PM

Ive had this display for a month. Had it calibrated by a pro who did a phenomenal job. The color seems so much more true now than before. Night and day from the out of the box settings.

I like it a lot. I dont love it.

This thing hates dark scenes. I get what I refer to as "pixilation" whenever there is a dark room or darkened area scene. There may be a more technical term but what I see is defined pixels of different shades battling to find the right color or shade. It makes the thing look like something out of the 50's. Unwatchable. Specifically on the show Alcatraz, ( I know, not a great show but I watched the first few and now Im stuck waiting for the payoff that may never be explained ) which is mostly shot in a 60's style fashion or in a dungeon style tech room, it struggles to find a clear image on darkened scenes or if the character is wearing a dark shirt. Also on any one of the Depp Pirates movies. Anything shot below deck looks super grainy. The display looks like it cant handle a dark scene. very disturbing. I have a DirecTV DVR for content. I have tried both standard and high speed HDMI cables from monoprice. Nothing seems to shake the issue with this darkened pixilation.

When I'm on the guide I can see what looks like the shadow of a major city skyline across multiple layers of the screen.

I didnt mind the "soap opera" look that so many have complained about. I was kinda fascinated with it. It looked way too real to be real. My problem was that it wouldnt keep that look. It seemed to fade in and out depending on the scene. Too bad. The wife didnt like that feature at all so we turned off the auto motion feature. However now anytime something moves across the screen quickly i can catch it almost per frame. It looks like its blurry for lack of a better term. It almost ruins sports viewing. Cant find a happy medium there.

I hate to have to return it and find the problem cant be fixed and lose out on the expensive calibration. I also dont want a tech to come out and tinker with it and create other problems.

I'm in a real pickle here...

Anyone else have these issues? Advice? Solutions?

He who has control of the remote has control of the world!
post #99 of 113 Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This may be adjunct to insanecollector's post. I have some movies in mkv containers that feature multichannel sound. I put them on a usb flash memory and the set plays them well, for the picture. But I notice the digital audio out is two channels only, and instead of downmixing the surround, I just get surround L and R. I looked around to see if there was an adjustment for this but failed to find it.

If I plug the usb flash into my Samsung BD player, the audio is output with full multichannel audio but is subject to frequent hiccups. I'd be happy if I could just get the usb on the TV to properly downconvert the surround mix to stereo.

Anyone know if this is possible? Thanks for any help or pointers.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #100 of 113 Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

This is not calibration. You are merely making simple user adjustments. You need expensive training, equipment and software to perform calibration. You may wish to find a professional calibrator through the forum. It will cost a few bucks for a calibration.

So im just curious, if this is not calibration and just making "simple adjustments", what would be involved with a professional calibrator. What exactly would he/she change that an end user does not have access to?
post #101 of 113 Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM

I have the UN55D6900(received it Mar. 9th). Every once in a while the picture will go black for a second or two, then come back on. I have it connected to a Yamaha RX-V371 receiver. When the picture goes black I still have sound, and I've also tried rewinding to see if it's just the broadcasted video. But it's not. So any ideas? Sound like it's the tv? Receiver? Maybe the hdmi cable? I haven't seen it happen while watching Blu-ray.

Thanks
post #102 of 113 Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I can now answer my own question. While I thought I was hooked up via the optical out, a quick check of my receiver indicated I was on stereo analog inputs, from the mini-plug on the set. Switching to Optical on the input did the trick, with full surround resulting. D'oh!

post #103 of 113 Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craer View Post

So im just curious, if this is not calibration and just making "simple adjustments", what would be involved with a professional calibrator. What exactly would he/she change that an end user does not have access to?

You and I make adjustments to the picuture with the user controls in normal operational mode, perhaps, even using a "calibration" disc and book to guide us. A professional puts the set into service mode and uses high priced, sophisticated equipment and training to make picture adjustments normally available only to factory certified personnel.

Personally, I do not want professional calibration of my set. I have seen several side by side displays of the difference between calibrated and non-calibrated sets. I do not like the results produced by calibration. It is not even a close call.

The salesman or professional calibrator will tell you that once you get a calibrated set home and watch it for several days you will begin to appreciate the difference. No Way.
post #104 of 113 Old 03-29-2012, 04:31 AM

have a set for a few days, just noticed that there is no audio out to Blue ray home theater audio system. tried everything, but do not have optical cable and cannot confirm if all audio out of off.

are there any settings to enable it? my theater system is Anynet+ and i have all control from Samsung remote, but no audio.

ordered optic cable to test
post #105 of 113 Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The optical cable should have fixed you up. MKV on USB will output DTS or DD, but need to be selected in the SPDIF menu. There is not auto detection, and PCM doesn't cut it. Sorry for all the acronyms.

post #106 of 113 Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Im looking at buying this tv, but Im wondering with it being a year old is it worth buying over newer models? The manager was working out a deal for 1099.99. Any thoughts?
post #107 of 113 Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I picked up the UN46D6900 today and its waaay better than the LN46D630 I returned.

Outstaning Contrast, very uniform screen , excellent black levels, great motion resolution and dead-on color.

I noticed as a previous person posted the "slowdown" frame-drops when Auto Motion Plus is Off.

Film Mode set to Auto 1 and Auto Motion Plus = good picture motion processing and detail.

I got this from B.B. at the clerance price of $999.99.

I have noticed some minor processing errors - maybe banding?
post #108 of 113 Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The HDTV has a December 2011 build date and came with FW 1019.

I updated to FW 1024 and so far the "slowdown" frame rate -drops have disappeared and the processing errors- maybe banding, are gone.

I really love the styling on this TV.

How are the SMART features and 3D? (I don't know if I will ever use them).

How much do 3D glasses cost (does Best Buy sell them?)- my TV didn't come with any.
post #109 of 113 Old 09-18-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Picked up the 3D glasses....I like the 2D to 3D conversion.

Directv's 3D channels are impressive.

I used the wireless and updated the apps.

Losts of value in these SMART Samsung HDTVs. smile.gif
post #110 of 113 Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM

I just bought this tv from Best Buy as a floor model for $670. I got the 55 inch one. I feel great about the purchase, especially at that price, since I looked elsewhere, and even now, these sets are selling for upwards of $1300-1500.

Anyways,

Is this set calibration worthy? I want to get it calibrated but have read that on some basic sets, it's not even worth it since there is very limited options to tweak.
Is this one of those types of sets or is it considered a mid-high end LED tv?
post #111 of 113 Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrio730 View Post

I just bought this tv from Best Buy as a floor model for $670. I got the 55 inch one. I feel great about the purchase, especially at that price, since I looked elsewhere, and even now, these sets are selling for upwards of $1300-1500.
Anyways,
Is this set calibration worthy? I want to get it calibrated but have read that on some basic sets, it's not even worth it since there is very limited options to tweak.
Is this one of those types of sets or is it considered a mid-high end LED tv?

High-End...lots of options/settings; worth a calibration or try my settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1321982/official-samsung-unxxd6000-owners-thread/3000#post_22599953
post #112 of 113 Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 79
How does the set handle motion (pixel response) is there a lot of color/black trailing in dark scenes. I had a Sony NX720 that died recently that I am trying to replace with a comparable set. The Sony had minor trailing in the darkest areas of a scene. It was mainly apparent during games like deadspace, condemned and the thick black outlines of Borderlands when panning the in game camera. I know plasma suffer from far less issues with motion handling, but they come with the greater chance of IR and burn-in. Since my use for the set is 95% gaming 5% film it is my real concern.
post #113 of 113 Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM

I just picked up a new in the box 46" for $399 . Even being a old model best tv ever for the price.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page