Official Samsung UNXXD6900 Owner's thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 113 Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't seem to find much discussion about this set.

Anyone care to share any settings? Opinion on the set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 06-16-2011, 07:13 AM

I have the UN55D6900 that I bought from Best Buy. This is by far a huge upgrade from my Sony Bravia KDL46s4100. First 3D and first LED TV for me so I was completely blown away by this. 2D Blu-Ray movies are amazing. 3D looks good but some movies are better than others. Ive only got 6 or 7 3D movies and the IMAX ones are def the best. That all being said I like to read CNEt reviews and a week after I bought it they were hyping up the Samsung PN59D8000. Immediately I researched and wanted it. Bigger and the picture was supposedly better but I never owned a plasma and dont know if its worth it. I have a couple weeks left under my 30 return policy. I really love the 6900. It has more than I could have ever wanted in a TV. I dont wanna trade it for the 59D for one reason. The weight. the 6900 is about 37 lbs and the 8000 is roughly twice that. Im impulsive lol. Anyways I dont have any complaints about this TV except for when I use the YouTube app the QWERTY remote doesnt function on the for some reason. 4/5 STARS!
post #3 of 113 Old 06-17-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Have you had any problems with clouding or flashlighting?
I have a little bit of flashlighting on the top right and bottom right corners but the left side is perfect. Except this seems to only be at its worse when its running web apps and gets really hot.

Have you callibrated your tv yet?

The picture on the set is great in my opinion and I haven't had the chance to tweak the callibration settings. I can't find any either. I wonder what panel this one has in it that would be able to go off the same callibration settings.

The weight issue is one of the main reasons I would be afraid to going to plasma. Along with image retention and break in periods.
post #4 of 113 Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 PM

I've had the D6900 for about 3 weeks now. Generally, I'm pleased but not blown away. I've used several calibration settings and my impression is that HD TV looks ok, but BluRay is nice. I see a little clouding sometimes in the bottom left corner and on two channels I notice some moving horizontal banding.

Does anyone know if the D7000 is an improvement in picture quality over the D6900? There's a big cost difference and honestly, I hate the webbed feet of the D7000 so in my research they seemed even in video quality. However, if there is a difference, I wouldn't mind moving up to the D7050, which actually has a glass square stand.
post #5 of 113 Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Also, does anyone know if you can turn off auto dimming? When I watch Bluray or DVD, the set keeps going from bright to dark with every scene cut/edit. this is most noticeable if you run the display information box as scenes are cutting back and forth behind it. The box intermittely goes bright to dim. Really annoying.
post #6 of 113 Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtran513 View Post

I've had the D6900 for about 3 weeks now. Generally, I'm pleased but not blown away. I've used several calibration settings and my impression is that HD TV looks ok, but BluRay is nice. I see a little clouding sometimes in the bottom left corner and on two channels I notice some moving horizontal banding.

Does anyone know if the D7000 is an improvement in picture quality over the D6900? There's a big cost difference and honestly, I hate the webbed feet of the D7000 so in my research they seemed even in video quality. However, if there is a difference, I wouldn't mind moving up to the D7050, which actually has a glass square stand.

Care to share any callibration settings?
I saw the d7000 and the d6900 side by side at BBY. Didn't seem to have a difference at all. It actually just looks like your pretty much paying for the thinner bezel. and the 240hz.
post #7 of 113 Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Also, does anyone know if you can turn off auto dimming? When I watch Bluray or DVD, the set keeps going from bright to dark with every scene cut/edit. this is most noticeable if you run the display information box as scenes are cutting back and forth behind it. The box intermittely goes bright to dim. Really annoying.

From my understanding you can turn off microdimming through the service menu. I have no clue how to go about doing that though.
post #8 of 113 Old 06-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Just ordered this TV, and I am looking forward to it. I know you hear about Plasmas (coming from an old LG Plasma), but my wife really wanted LED, but she is not a huge fan of 3D. So as a compromise we went with this one.

I did a fair amount of research, and there does not seem to be a ton of info out on it. I was leaning toward the 55D6420, but went for the 55D6900 in the end. I get it sometime later this week but still am about 2 weeks away from finishing up my major basement reno, so I will have to look at the box and try to be patient.
post #9 of 113 Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Finally, a thread for my TV! Mine came from Future Shop, which is like Best Buy, but this is not a Best Buy exclusive TV as most threads are saying. The off-angle viewing breaks down pretty fast, but looking at it dead-on, this set is magnificent. The only disappointment for me is the apps selection. I primarily was interested in the YouTube functionality, but I have to say, Samsung's YouTube app is completely useless. You can't access your own YouTube account subscriptions!! Why bother having a YouTube app if you can't access your subscriptions? Plus, when it starts, it always plays the same stupid video and you have to fumble through the controls to make it stop... you're fumbling because the QWERTY remote doesn't work with the app! Grrr.

Regardless of that though, the picture absolutely shines and I love owning it. It runs very cool.

For what it's worth, I combined some internet-recommended settings and bit of personal taste to come up with what I think are the best calibration-settings. Your mileage may vary, but here they are:

Picture Settings
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 25
Color: 50
Tint: G51/R49

=>Advance Settings
Black Tone: Dark
Dynamic Contrast Low
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: 0
White Balance: Off
10p White Balance: On
  • Interval 1 - R:-3, G:-1, B-3
  • Interval 2 - R:-4, G:-1, B0
  • Interval 3 - R:-3, G:1, B1
  • Interval 4 - R:-4, G:3, B4
  • Interval 5 - R:-6, G:4, B6
  • Interval 6 - R:-8, G:2, B4
  • Interval 7 - R:-8, G:4, B6
  • Interval 8 - R:-9, G:2, B7
  • Interval 9 - R:-7, G:3, B4
  • Interval 10 - R:-10, G:7, B10
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
LED Motion Plus: On

=>Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm 2
Digital Noise Filter: Auto
MPEG Noise Filter: Auto
HDMI Black Level: Low
Auto Motion Plus: Off. Dear god, leave it off!

I'll add the site-table for it too since it doesn't seem to be anywhere else:

Series D6900
Screen Sizes 46" 55"
Full HD 1080p Y
240Hz N
120Hz Y
3D Y
Samsung Apps Y
Your Video Y
Search All Y
Web Browser Y
Skype Y
HDMI Inputs 4
USB Ports 3
WiFi Built-In Y
Micro Dimming Y (not Plus)
Allshare Y
Qwerty Remote Included Y
3D Glasses Included Y (in USA)
Bezel Type Ultra Thin Ultra Thin Ultra Thin Ultra Thin Ultra Thin Ultra Thin
post #10 of 113 Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Dynamic Contrast is probably causing this, not microdimming. Try turning it off in Advanced Picture Settings.
post #11 of 113 Old 06-19-2011, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockout09 View Post

Care to share any callibration settings?
I saw the d7000 and the d6900 side by side at BBY. Didn't seem to have a difference at all. It actually just looks like your pretty much paying for the thinner bezel. and the 240hz.

in some ways u are right on that point but the 6900 that tv only has 120hz and the d7000 that tv as u know has 240hz and when u compare the two trust me there are not the same the more herts the smoother the picture will be hands down , so when u look at a 120hz and a 240hz just know they are so different ,u may not think there is but i am telling u there really is u will see a big different in gameing and also in bluray movie's for sure also 240hz is better for 3D because like i said the more the herts the more the picture will be more life like and smooth ,and also 24hz will take awhy most of the crosstalk while watching a 3D film on the tv .
post #12 of 113 Old 06-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post

in some ways u are right on that point but the 6900 that tv only has 120hz and the d7000 that tv as u know has 240hz and when u compare the two trust me there are not the same the more herts the smoother the picture will be hands down , so when u look at a 120hz and a 240hz just know they are so different ,u may not think there is but i am telling u there really is u will see a big different in gameing and also in bluray movie's for sure also 240hz is better for 3D because like i said the more the herts the more the picture will be more life like and smooth ,and also 24hz will take awhy most of the crosstalk while watching a 3D film on the tv .

Does higher hzs mean it will have a more "soap opera" look?
post #13 of 113 Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Does higher hzs mean it will have a more "soap opera" look?
No. The soap opera effect you are referring to depends entirely on whether you have the AMP activated or not. With it on, you will get that effect; the display's Hz capability has nothing to do with it..The display (in this case the 6900) is taking incoming 60 Hz material, internally processing it & outputting @ 120 Hz with or without the AMP.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #14 of 113 Old 07-14-2011, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

If any of you got your UN55D6900 in the past 30 days from Best Buy. Hurry and go get your free 3d glasses, free 3d bluray player, and store credit while you can!
post #15 of 113 Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Any more thoughts? how is the response time on the unit.

I want the set for gaming, so I'm leaning towards the 7000, but it's way more expensive.
post #16 of 113 Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 PM

So far I have really not put th tv through the paces but I dos run a couple games. It seems fine for both NHL 11 and Forza 3.i did not feel any lag, but neither are fps games.

I used pretty much the same calibration settings as were mentioned earlier in this thread.
post #17 of 113 Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

From what everyone says in other forums on here the 7000 and up has higher input lag than any of the 6000 models.
post #18 of 113 Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 AM

I keep flip flopping between my desired model. Now it's between this set for 2500 with 2 pairs of glasses and the sharp 835u at 2000 with 1 pair.

No clue which would be the better set. Especially if the input lag is comparably good.

thanks for the responses guys.
post #19 of 113 Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebutter View Post

I keep flip flopping between my desired model. Now it's between this set for 2500 with 2 pairs of glasses and the sharp 835u at 2000 with 1 pair.

No clue which would be the better set. Especially if the input lag is comparably good.

thanks for the responses guys.

Hmmm, thats a pretty steep price.
I orginally got just the TV for 2100, then on the 29th day past the purchase date It came out with the free 3d starter kit, free 3d bluray player, all for 2000. Luckily BB price matched the extras and gave me 100$ store credit.
I know were not supposed to talk prices on here and I apologize,
but I know the un55ds6900 is only 2k on best buys website right now. Also they have some very nice prices on the sony's right now as well for right around 2k I believe.

My advice, don't dump 2500 into this TV if you can get it for 2000.

I love my TV. Its a great edge lit set and I highly reccomend it to you. I can't speak on behalf of the sharp.
post #20 of 113 Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 PM

I just got this set from BB the other day as a replacement for my defective UN55C6500. I liked the set because it has a thinner bezel and slightly higher contrast ration than my old set with the addition of 3d. One weird thing I noticed, and I was wondering if anyone else has this issue. It almost looks as if there is a slight screen door effect until I get about 5ft away from the tv. Like visible black space between the pixels? I know the old set wasn't like that. It looks also like there is a corona effect on any outside light reflections the screen ie. When the tv is off or there is a dark scene I know the c6500 panel didn't have those properties either.

Any thoughts?
post #21 of 113 Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by INdescript View Post

I just got this set from BB the other day as a replacement for my defective UN55C6500. I liked the set because it has a thinner bezel and slightly higher contrast ration than my old set with the addition of 3d. One weird thing I noticed, and I was wondering if anyone else has this issue. It almost looks as if there is a slight screen door effect until I get about 5ft away from the tv. Like visible black space between the pixels? I know the old set wasn't like that. It looks also like there is a corona effect on any outside light reflections the screen ie. When the tv is off or there is a dark scene I know the c6500 panel didn't have those properties either.

Any thoughts?

Is it possible you just didn't notice it with your c6500 panel? I know that just about every TV thats 55" and up thats on the market is going to have the "screen" effect when your that close. Which is why they they reccomend a farther viewing distance with a bigger screen.

This isn't a defect or anything wrong with the TV. Unless you intend on being anything closer than 7 feet away from the TV you will never notice it.

The corona effect? Like flashlighting? Lights from the edge led's bleeding into the screen?
Thats odd you see that when the TV is off, but my TV is right in front of me right now with light on it and i don't see any effects like that.

Sounds kinda like when you reflect a light on a cd and bend the cd it diffuses the light in different dirrections. If thats a case maybe you have a poorly built set with a warped frame.

If its the flashlighting effect I suggest turning your back light around 8-12 and see if that helps.

My input on your issue sounds like it kinda sucks but thats all I can think of
post #22 of 113 Old 07-23-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockout09 View Post
Is it possible you just didn't notice it with your c6500 panel? I know that just about every TV thats 55" and up thats on the market is going to have the "screen" effect when your that close. Which is why they they reccomend a farther viewing distance with a bigger screen.

This isn't a defect or anything wrong with the TV. Unless you intend on being anything closer than 7 feet away from the TV you will never notice it.

The corona effect? Like flashlighting? Lights from the edge led's bleeding into the screen?
Thats odd you see that when the TV is off, but my TV is right in front of me right now with light on it and i don't see any effects like that.

Sounds kinda like when you reflect a light on a cd and bend the cd it diffuses the light in different dirrections. If thats a case maybe you have a poorly built set with a warped frame.

If its the flashlighting effect I suggest turning your back light around 8-12 and see if that helps.

My input on your issue sounds like it kinda sucks but thats all I can think of
I figured as much on the pixel spacing. Maybe this panel is more sharp than the last. However, the corona isn't flash lighting. I had that issue with the last set and a little with this one. It's almost like the glossy screen coating has a weird reflective property creating coronas from external light sources. A little annoying but maybe I just need to get used to it.
post #23 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought last year's C6900 about 9 months ago. What a great set. This year's D6900 has 3D, I see.

There was not much discussion on the Forum about the C6900 either, which is a good sign, but denies you the opportunity to have a little discussion now and then.

The C6900 had precission dimming, while the other Series 6 models did not. I think that is the secret to the success of the 6900. It might appear from following Forum postings and personal experience that the 6900 has been an extremely successful model.
post #24 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Bought 55D6900 from BB. Am very happy! Great TV ever!

Questions:

1) Is there web service in TV where I can use my computer web browser to connect to TV for settings etc?

2) Is there hidden settings such as advanced settings? If so, how?

3) I am deaf so I rely on closed captions (great looking). The problem is when I bring up MLB scores on left screen (10% of screen and 90% of TV on screen). The closed caption stopped working. If I turn off MLB, the captions worked again. Is there a workaround?

Thanks!
post #25 of 113 Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post
I bought last year's C6900 about 9 months ago. What a great set. This year's D6900 has 3D, I see.

There was not much discussion on the Forum about the C6900 either, which is a good sign, but denies you the opportunity to have a little discussion now and then.

The C6900 had precission dimming, while the other Series 6 models did not. I think that is the secret to the success of the 6900. It might appear from following Forum postings and personal experience that the 6900 has been an extremely successful model.
I agree... No news is good news... I also purchased my C9000 about 9 months ago from BestBuy and it is a phenomenal set!!
post #26 of 113 Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM

I saw a prompt to upgrade if I remember correctly from 11 to 15. I don't see any difference. Did you got upgrade too? Know any good links to get notes of change in firmware?
post #27 of 113 Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswilliams View Post

I saw a prompt to upgrade if I remember correctly from 11 to 15. I don't see any difference. Did you got upgrade too? Know any good links to get notes of change in firmware?

Upgrade what from 11 to 15?
post #28 of 113 Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 AM

I couldn't get current firmware info after upgrading. I now believe it was from 1011 to 1015.

Do you know any changes log for firmware updates? Where are they on internet?
post #29 of 113 Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM

Just got the set and love it. I have a built in cabinet and it is built so only the screen is in view. I use infrared repeaters for the remote. Does anyone have any clue where the infrared sensor is on this TV?

Also, I am not a wifi guru but will N technology speed up the wifi apps?
post #30 of 113 Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scent of a mule View Post

Just got the set and love it. I have a built in cabinet and it is built so only the screen is in view. I use infrared repeaters for the remote. Does anyone have any clue where the infrared sensor is on this TV?

Also, I am not a wifi guru but will N technology speed up the wifi apps?

If I am correct the infared sensor is behind the samsung logo at the bottom middle. N technology might speed up streaming apps, a lot of the apps are just slow because of the processing speed of the tv. But if your streaming N technology might help a bit. I use ethernet to prevent any sort of lag. Ethernet is your fastest bet.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page