Official Sony HX929 Settings & Calibrations Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 272 Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motionflow and Cinemotion...

I love the "soap opera" effect but hate judder. What should I set these at?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 272 Old 01-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

Warm 2, Warm 2, Warm 2, Warm 2... Really? Well, attached here is an alternative for those that like their picture to look less.. (to avoid any negative connotation) orange - instead more realistic/generally pleasant.

The look is very similar to that of the settings I made for my LG 42LH90 (also posted in its dedicated thread) from what I can tell. I never saw them side by side nor did I intentionally try to replicate this. It's just, like when calibrating the LG, I was drawn to the same things to go for, except this time I had even more experience and less to deal with TBH. As I mentioned in the Owner's Thread of this TV, there isn't too extensive of settings to modify. I had to go with the default preset (with my relative settings at the time) which had the best color accuracy. The biggest problem is that there is no standard to which the settings are based on/how they're different. "Cinema 2" under the "Cinema" scene seemed to be the most accurate. Nothing too extensive I would probably end up additionally changing if I had more specific PQ options anyway... On "Cinema 2", by default the colors are pretty accurate as is.

Thanks for posting your settings, I too like a nice, Bright, Lifelike picture rather than a washed out, dull, picture. Ive slighty tweeked some of your settings mainly the extra processing and I used warm1 and the picture looks amazing.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #183 of 272 Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Liked: 11
So far outstanding. Only kept Samsung D8000 for 1 week before dumping it for my 929. One question, how do I determine my build date?

Andy
post #184 of 272 Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by awa61 View Post

So far outstanding. Only kept Samsung D8000 for 1 week before dumping it for my 929. One question, how do I determine my build date?

Andy

You have to look at the back panel. It'll have the model no and manufactured date.

XBR55HX929 / AVR X4000
PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200
Roku 3 / WD TV Live /Chromecast
DT PM1000 / PC2000
DVP5000
post #185 of 272 Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Liked: 13
Just got my 55HX929. After fiddling with the settings on a number of BD's as well as using Wow and Spears & Munsil, I have come up with the follow settings (night). The only thing that is sort of out of whack compared to most of the posted settings is the WB - my set seems to have a green push where it appears that most of the others had the opposite issue. At any rate, the picture looks pretty fabulous using my Oppo BDP-83 in source direct mode.

Backlight 2
Picture 90
Brightness 47
Color 44
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm2
Sharpness 54
Reality Engine Auto (yeah, I know )
Motionflow Clear
Cinemotion Auto2
Gamma +2
LED Dynamic Control Standard
R - Gain 0
G - Gain -5
B - Gain 0
R - Bias 0
G - Bias -1
B - Bias 0
SBM On

everything else is off

I fine-tuned the WB controls using a couple B&W BD movies.

A question I have ( a poll of sorts) for a sanity check. In The Fifth Element, what shade of blue does the planet Floston appear in the background during the Diva singing scene? pure blue or does it have a slight cyan/aqua tint? Also what shade does Earth appear in the opening before the Egypt scene?

In my case, Earth is the perfect shade of blue I would expect. Floston seems to have the slightest cyan push. The sky in the opening Egypt scene seems the correct shade of blue as well.

A friend's Kuro had the same color cast on Floston, although we thought it needed a calibration touchup due to a slight green push in light neutral tones, so I wasn't sure I was believing what I saw there.

BTW, my set has a build date of Nov 2011. My friend with the Kuro also has a Klein K-10 and Calman SW, so at some point I'll get him over to make some measurements. My Samsung B7000 looks like crap in comparison to the 929, too
post #186 of 272 Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 PM

Liked: 13
update - I am back to defaults for all of the WB settings except the -1 G bias. Not sure what I was seeing before.
post #187 of 272 Old 01-23-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You guys don't notice black crush with the very low backlight setting of 0,1,2?

irkuck
post #188 of 272 Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

You guys don't notice black crush with the very low backlight setting of 0,1,2?

The minimum backlight setting is still fairly bright if you are aren't using Clear or Clear Plus. It also helps that TV manufacturers have split off the backlight control from the brightness control. These days, the backlight setting doesn't really have any affect on black crush. That's up to the brightness setting (a pretty poor name now), and the panel itself.

What it will do is set the maximum lumens of white. Which means that if you assume black is a constant non-zero value, your contrast ratio will drop. But turning the backlight down also lowers the blacks on this set a bit, and keeps blooming under control a bit better. The result is that your contrast is actually still very good.

Do I notice black crush? A little, but it's not from the backlight. There is a couple levels of black this set will not quite handle, and to get full shadow detail, you have to turn the brightness up way too high. So you either live with a little black crush or have bright blacks. I'll note that I mostly see black crush in games, not movies. So it is more likely the source + settings than anything else. Still, I can mess with the backlight setting from max to min and only if it was already on the edge of visibility does it fade away, meaning it was getting crushed to begin with.
post #189 of 272 Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM

Newbie question here: Does the "ambient sensor" just adjust the backlight, and nothing else? I ask because I have a room that has brightness that varies quite a bit and I'd like to rely on the ambient light sensor rather than having to manually increase the backlight myself every time the light changes. Right now, I am pretty happy with khollister's settings but am leaving ambient on and backlighting around 3.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
post #190 of 272 Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM

I'm an old school plasma fan. Started with a Panny TH-50PX60 that gets a great picture for a 720 set. Still have it. Tried a Panny 55VT30 and although most folks around here swear by it, I never could get the picture to my liking even after trying all the settings recommended here at AVS. Returned it, spent more time looking around and the 55HX929 caught my eye. It arrives tomorrow and my question is this:

Can I just dive right in and start calibrating the settings to my liking and watch whatever I want or do I need to be careful of brightness, non full screen images and static images in first 100 hours or are those all plasma related break-in issues? In a nutshell, are there any precautions to initial use or break-in?

Thanks and I look forward to trying all the settings posted here
post #191 of 272 Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmafia View Post

I'm an old school plasma fan. Started with a Panny TH-50PX60 that gets a great picture for a 720 set. Still have it. Tried a Panny 55VT30 and although most folks around here swear by it, I never could get the picture to my liking even after trying all the settings recommended here at AVS. Returned it, spent more time looking around and the 55HX929 caught my eye. It arrives tomorrow and my question is this:

Can I just dive right in and start calibrating the settings to my liking and watch whatever I want or do I need to be careful of brightness, non full screen images and static images in first 100 hours or are those all plasma related break-in issues? In a nutshell, are there any precautions to initial use or break-in?

Thanks and I look forward to trying all the settings posted here

Hope you like the new screen . No, there are no running in procedures required. Some owners have observed that the initial images seem a little rough or coarse for the first week or so, and I have noticed this phenomenon on my last two lcd screens. Maybe all the electronic components 'burn in ' like in top end hi-fi. Would recommend the cinema 1 preset as a good starting point .
post #192 of 272 Old 01-29-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws56 View Post

Hope you like the new screen . No, there are no running in procedures required. Some owners have observed that the initial images seem a little rough or coarse for the first week or so, and I have noticed this phenomenon on my last two lcd screens. Maybe all the electronic components 'burn in ' like in top end hi-fi. Would recommend the cinema 1 preset as a good starting point .

couldnt be happier! all i did was hit warm2 and drop the backlight a bit and out of the box it already looks stunning! the more i tweak the settings it gets even better.
post #193 of 272 Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM

Anyone working on some sports settings for Superbowl?
post #194 of 272 Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 AM

Liked: 12
There's a lot of new owners here, congrats! Below are some of the topics and links to help you with your new HX929! I've talked to my pro-calibrator and he's now ok for me to share my settings but I still recommend that you get yours professionaly calibrated, it's definitely worth it. If you want to know my settings, please PM me only, do not post here to request for my settings for I will not respond to it.

To those who seems to have problems why don't you give it some time maybe till after Superbowl to see if the problem will go away? If it doesn't go away then go ahead by all means return it.

Home Theater Magazine website recommended settings and reviews and good explanations on some of the features and settings
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-hdtv-settings

Sharing display menu settings? Not recommended per this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906

How Viewing Environment Conditions Can Corrupt Or Enhance Your Calibration.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=849430

Calibration FAQ (under development)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585527

Display Calibration: Root Fundamentals
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021933

Customer Reports About Their Professional Calibrations
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=712929

ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

Self Calibration, FREE alternative to DVE, Disney WOW or Spears
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS (updated and enhanced)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Reading and interpreting calibration charts and data for dummies
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586691

D65 Video Bias Lighting- Fundamental Theory And Practice
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1162578

3D Contents!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=196
post #195 of 272 Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
K. Miller is coming to calibrate my 929 today.
post #196 of 272 Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

K. Miller is coming to calibrate my 929 today.

Great decision! Let us know how it goes!
post #197 of 272 Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You won't be disappointed!
post #198 of 272 Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Skin tones are improved.
post #199 of 272 Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM

Well, I've been making subtle tweaks every day for 4 weeks and I think I've finally found my sweet spot with the settings. I'm not a pro and much less technically proficient than many here, but this looks epic to me. My room is fairly dimly lit and I do most of my viewing at night (although these settings still look good in the day as well). As a content producer, I understand that every film and TV show is shot with different lighting and gear and then edited with different color processes as well, so to achieve true perfection means tweaking every different program. Case in point, to achieve what I felt was perfect viewing Fifth Element (Blu-ray) I changed the white balance settings by -2 points and the skin tones truly looked perfect. Then I put on Quantum of Solace and had to go -2 on a different color to achieve my perfect (dont remember exact settings now). Some things are a little more red, some a little more green, so we could spend all day tweaking everything we watch but who has the time. I finally realized I needed settings that were the perfect compromise, where different movies and programs all looked great and guess where I eventually landed? My white balance settings are perfectly flat! I'm guessing with zillions of dollars in research, the guys at Sony determined those to be the perfect happy medium and in this case I agree. With these settings the only thing I have set different to watch Blu-rays versus HDTV is my backlight settings. Anyway this is where I ended up. The pros say get those skin tones right and on my set and in my room, the skin tones and overall PQ looks absolutely amazing.

Picture Mode: Custom (Blu-ray defaults to Cinema 2)
Backlight: 3 for TV, 5 for Blu-ray
Picture: 90
Brightness: 46
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50

Gamma: +1
LED Dynamic Control: Standard a must for those great blacks)

White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Everything else OFF.

Good night and good luck
post #200 of 272 Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Well, I've been making subtle tweaks every day for 4 weeks and I think I've finally found my sweet spot with the settings. I'm not a pro and much less technically proficient than many here, but this looks epic to me. My room is fairly dimly lit and I do most of my viewing at night (although these settings still look good in the day as well). As a content producer, I understand that every film and TV show is shot with different lighting and gear and then edited with different color processes as well, so to achieve true perfection means tweaking every different program. Case in point, to achieve what I felt was perfect viewing Fifth Element (Blu-ray) I changed the white balance settings by -2 points and the skin tones truly looked perfect. Then I put on Quantum of Solace and had to go -2 on a different color to achieve my perfect (dont remember exact settings now). Some things are a little more red, some a little more green, so we could spend all day tweaking everything we watch but who has the time. I finally realized I needed settings that were the perfect compromise, where different movies and programs all looked great and guess where I eventually landed? My white balance settings are perfectly flat! I'm guessing with zillions of dollars in research, the guys at Sony determined those to be the perfect happy medium and in this case I agree. With these settings the only thing I have set different to watch Blu-rays versus HDTV is my backlight settings. Anyway this is where I ended up. The pros say get those skin tones right and on my set and in my room, the skin tones and overall PQ looks absolutely amazing.

Picture Mode: Custom (Blu-ray defaults to Cinema 2)
Backlight: 3 for TV, 5 for Blu-ray
Picture: 90
Brightness: 46
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50

Gamma: +1
LED Dynamic Control: Standard a must for those great blacks)

White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Everything else OFF.

Good night and good luck

Since you are tweaking it yourself, have you tried any of the calibration discs? How's your settings look when playing one of the calibration discs, it's not that I don trust your visual observation but I think it's good to have reference materials like the calibration disc or how about getting a professional calibration?
post #201 of 272 Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

Since you are tweaking it yourself, have you tried any of the calibration discs? How's your settings look when playing one of the calibration discs, it's not that I don trust your visual observation but I think it's good to have reference materials like the calibration disc or how about getting a professional calibration?

ive only used discs twice before (on a 55VT30 i ended up returning). i think one was called av704 or hd704, dont remember the other...when i was done i still ended up changing everything to my personal viewing preferences so i figured whatever is technically perfect may not be what my eyes like...i still have the 704 disc around here somewhere and maybe i should run it just to see or is there a disc you recommend? but honestly its hard to imagine the picture getting any better for what i like...it looks so damn good now!
post #202 of 272 Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

ive only used discs twice before (on a 55VT30 i ended up returning). i think one was called av704 or hd704, dont remember the other...when i was done i still ended up changing everything to my personal viewing preferences so i figured whatever is technically perfect may not be what my eyes like...i still have the 704 disc around here somewhere and maybe i should run it just to see or is there a disc you recommend? but honestly its hard to imagine the picture getting any better for what i like...it looks so damn good now!

It does get better. I thought my picture looked good. Then had it calibrated. I was amazed. It looks fantastic.
post #203 of 272 Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 AM

Just purchased the 55hx929 and I wanted to try my hand in calibrating it. Could you guys recommend any calibration disks out there?
post #204 of 272 Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleMan View Post

Just purchased the 55hx929 and I wanted to try my hand in calibrating it. Could you guys recommend any calibration disks out there?

Or for basic calibration, you can buy DVE or WOW Disney. For more extensive calibration, Spears & Munsil.
post #205 of 272 Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

lol thats what i meant 709 not 704
post #206 of 272 Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 PM

I am expecting delivery of my 55" HX929 this week. What is considered the best all around settings? Cnet's seem to be pretty popular, any others? 95% of my viewing is cable TV if that makes a difference.
post #207 of 272 Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodL View Post

I am expecting delivery of my 55" HX929 this week. What is considered the best all around settings? Cnet's seem to be pretty popular, any others? 95% of my viewing is cable TV if that makes a difference.

Check out the link on my sig, they have a pretty good settings as a starting point and then you can adjust to your liking. I would also recommend you get professional calibration if after trying all the settings and you're still not satisfied. I had mine calibrated and it's worth it. Enjoy your new TV.
post #208 of 272 Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks. Is there anything in particular that makes the HTR settings better than the CNET or Flat Panels HD settings?

I had my Panasonic commercial displays calibrated and while it made a difference, it wasn't a $500 difference (two TVs). I'd rather find a good set of settings off the forum then spend the money on ISF calibration again.
post #209 of 272 Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Does anyone have 3D settings they would like to share ?....Thanks!
post #210 of 272 Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Just wanted to say what's up guys!

I have 2 questions maybe someone can answer.

Got a 65-929 coming this week. Currently have a 52xbr4 that was calibrated by Circuit City when I got it. I'm wondering if I just input those settings if that will work, or is the 929 drastically different and I'd be better off using a calibration DVD?

Also, are all ISF calibrators able to deal with every new TV and the multitude of settings and understand how they work and how to set them? There are so many settings that I don't even know what they all do. Would I be better off trying to find a calibrator that has worked on 929's? I am close to Boston and have heard there are a few great calibrators there.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr55hx929 55 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black , Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page