Official TCL 40FHDP21TA owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I searched around and didn't find any official topics on this TCL 40" LED lit LCD. Picture looks somewhat nice out of the box but needs some adjustment. I plan on a good eyeball calibration tonight. I've got it hooked in to a HTPC by vga. Will buy a hdmi cable tonight and see if that helps at all.

Specs:
TCL 40" Class 1080p LED-LCD HDTV: LE40FHDP21TA

16:9 LCD Panel supplier Samsung
1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution
16:9 aspect ratio
178-degree vertical and 178-degree horizontal angles
Built-in ATSC digital/QAM tuner
5000:1 contrast ratio and 6 ms response
Color Depth 8bit
5 HDMI ports
2 year warranty from TCL

Pretty good deal for a nice looking tv. Panel refreshes at 120hz but limits input to 60hz. Has Frame Interpolation options. I have noticed that the screen is very reflective so take that into account. I got mine through walmart's website and had it shipped store to store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this TV and am very pleased with it, especially considering the price. As far as the 120Hz/60Hz thing, check this out - Link

What kinda picture settings are you using? BTW, I believe that for this TV "Brightness" is actually the equivalent of a "Backlight" setting. I believe the traditional Brightness setting is "Black Level" for this unit. I've read online that the ideal color temperature to use is 6500k. The problem with this TV, is that the Color temp control has 10 levels. -5 to +5 I believe. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be. Zero I guess?
post #3 of 38 Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post

I've got it hooked in to a HTPC by vga.

What resolution are you running at? I tried connecting my laptop via DVI/HDMI - it overscans at 1920x1080 and 1280x720 (ie, cuts off the taskbar - which makes using it as a monitor problematic.) At 1366x768 there is no overscan, but the picture is a bit fuzzy.

I didn't see any option to turn off overscan; I wonder if there is any chance of finding a service menu that allows this...

edit: Hooked up the laptop again via HDMI, scrolled through the zoom formats and lo and behold there is a no overscan option. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual, and I swear it wasn't there last time I tried. So 1920x1080 looks fine and fills the screen perfectly.
post #4 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was just about to mention the "No overscan" option I found yesterday when cycling through zooms. Looks great at 1920x1080. I'm feeding this with an Giada Cube n3 Ion system running windows 7 (4gb of ram). XBMC, Boxee, Netflix and windows media center. I still havn't had time to do a good calibration but I'll get to that this week hopefully.
post #5 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Liked: 11
could you guys post your settings?

I have this model
TCL L40FHDF11TA 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV

but settings should be similar.
post #6 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll be using this thread, included test video and printouts to eye calibrate the tv - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 Hopefully I can get to it tonight
post #7 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM

cool, I'll be sure to subscribe to this thread.
good luck
post #8 of 38 Old 06-23-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

didn't get a chance to get it done last night. It takes 2+ hours to download the test media files from that thread
post #9 of 38 Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 PM

oh well me and Im sure others will continue to keep an eye on this thread
post #10 of 38 Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I calibrated as well as I could tonight:

My settings:
Picture Preset - Personal
Sharpness - 0
Brightness 51 (you can put this where ever 51 seems about right to me)
Contrast 34
Black Level 59
Color 49
Tint 0
Color Temperature 0
Light Sensor off
Dynamic Backlight off
Noise Reduction MIddle
Memc high
post #11 of 38 Old 06-24-2011, 11:53 PM

I leave the MEMC off, at least for movies. It gives movies that Handycam look. VERY noticeable to me. I had sharpness at 1, as 0 looked just every so slightly blurry, but 1 seemed about right.
post #12 of 38 Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoInk View Post

I leave the MEMC off, at least for movies. It gives movies that Handycam look. VERY noticeable to me. I had sharpness at 1, as 0 looked just every so slightly blurry, but 1 seemed about right.

After watching a bit, I agree with the MEMC I just don't like it either. It makes things look weirdish too clear if that makes any sense. Turned it off as well. I had no issue with the sharpness at 0. no extra bluriness on the test patterns. Picture of tv is really nice. I'll probably do a full calibration when I get a calibrated camera and chormapure software
post #13 of 38 Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 AM

Do any of you guys with this set have much experience with other HDTVs? This is my first flat panel (though I also have a Sony CRT - XBR970.) Is MEMC essentially the same thing as Sony's Motionflow, Samsung's AutoMotion, etc? As I understand it the handycam look is a byproduct of frame interpolation, and any 120hz set is going to exhibit the same characteristic.
post #14 of 38 Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My experience with other hdtvs is completely with projectors. I've got a Sony CRT and a Acer H5360 and the MEMC on with the TCL bothers me. My friend I set it up for likes it though so go figure.

The acer h5360 is 120hz but it allows a 120hz input feed from the HTPC i'm using so I do not run into that handycam look with it. I would think any tv that can do 3d would not have this problem as it can accept a 120hz (or more) feed
post #15 of 38 Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 AM

Have had this set for about 2 weeks. Love the picture. And the price makes it even better. Some things I've noticed regardless of user settings (comcast hd):

o Some light bleed at corners
o Noticeable judder and ghosting at 60hz (MEMC off)
o Poor SD image

These are minor issues in my book. I only notice the light bleed when there is no image being fed. Judder and ghosting is remedied by turning on MEMC. SD is a problem for many hdtv's. However, sometimes I wonder if it's a cable provider issue. They need to get on the ball and update their boxes with a decent upscaler.

Haven't had a chance to hook up the ps3 to check games and blu ray. Also haven't tried a usb connection to see what it can do. Not even sure how to go about calibrating this thing. Wish the manual explained settings better.

Overall, it was a great buy and I'm happy. HD looks great but sports and outdoor hd look phenomenal!
post #16 of 38 Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I cannot for the life of me find sharpness...can you tell me where it is please!

Also, are there any firmware upgrades for these things?

THanks for the help!
post #17 of 38 Old 07-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umrico View Post

I cannot for the life of me find sharpness...can you tell me where it is please!

Also, are there any firmware upgrades for these things?

THanks for the help!

Hmmm... I cannot for the life of me figure out how you missed it! =P

1 - Hit "MENU" button on remote

2 - Open eyes

3 - There it is!

At least that's how it works for me. I hit MENU, it brings up the Picture settings menu first, and it's right there on the first Picture settings page. Very odd if it's not that way for you.

I'm not aware of any firmware upgrades.

How do you like the TV so far?
post #18 of 38 Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Hmmm... I cannot for the life of me figure out how you missed it! =P

1 - Hit "MENU" button on remote

2 - Open eyes

3 - There it is!

At least that's how it works for me. I hit MENU, it brings up the Picture settings menu first, and it's right there on the first Picture settings page. Very odd if it's not that way for you.

I'm not aware of any firmware upgrades.

How do you like the TV so far?

LOL I swear its not there...i have picture preset/rightness/expert settings/advanced settings/pc/reset picture settings..

I love the TV especially the price. I pretty much user it as my media center and main pc display.
post #19 of 38 Old 07-03-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

what input are you using? I'm using HDMI you wouldn't happen to be using the pc/vga input? Maybe the menu option isn't on that input (tv is in another state right now so I can't check)
post #20 of 38 Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:

what input are you using? I'm using HDMI you wouldn't happen to be using the pc/vga input? Maybe the menu option isn't on that input (tv is in another state right now so I can't check)

HaHa that was it. I knew I wasn't crazy

TY so much...
post #21 of 38 Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 PM

I just received this TV and I love everything about it except one thing. I'm receiving cable directly through a coaxial connection and I've noticed that the sound is out of sync. It's very noticeable and it's driving me nuts.

Has anyone noticed this problem or do I have a defective unit? I'm using this TV in place of a 5 year old Samsung LCD and it didn't have this problem with the same connection. I have yet to try it with a cable box to see if it remedies the problem.

I really hope that it's just defective since I don't want to return this good TV for such as small but noticeable problem.
post #22 of 38 Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Cannot get my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD to connect via HDMI for anything. Will search the archives here, but if anybody can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I have connected my LG blue-ray player via HDMI, and then used that same cable and port with no luck on the SA 8300. I connected the SA8300HD via composite cable and enabled 1080i and 720 output, but would still not work via HDMI.

GL
post #23 of 38 Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

Cannot get my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD to connect via HDMI for anything. Will search the archives here, but if anybody can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I have connected my LG blue-ray player via HDMI, and then used that same cable and port with no luck on the SA 8300. I connected the SA8300HD via composite cable and enabled 1080i and 720 output, but would still not work via HDMI.

GL

Did you try all the available hdmi ports? Next up I'd try calling or emailing your cable company. It could be a defective box that is having a problem with HDMI sync since you know the LG bluray player is working. I'd wager the cable company will want to do a box swap.
post #24 of 38 Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbeans View Post

I'm receiving cable directly through a coaxial connection and I've noticed that the sound is out of sync. It's very noticeable and it's driving me nuts.

Has anyone noticed this problem or do I have a defective unit? I'm using this TV in place of a 5 year old Samsung LCD and it didn't have this problem with the same connection. I have yet to try it with a cable box to see if it remedies the problem.

I really hope that it's just defective since I don't want to return this good TV for such as small but noticeable problem.

When I tested the tv with QAM channels there was no audio sync issues. Are you using the tv's built in speakers or external receiver? Also have you been in the audio menu and played with the settings at all?
post #25 of 38 Old 07-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:

When I tested the tv with QAM channels there was no audio sync issues. Are you using the tv's built in speakers or external receiver? Also have you been in the audio menu and played with the settings at all?

I'm using the built in speakers. I've tried different coaxial cables and have gone through the audio settings to no avail.

I've tested the audio on my PS3 with an HDMI connection and there were no problems. I then proceeded to try out the cable box used in our living room through HDMI and there was not a delay in the audio.

QAM channels tune in fine and only a few SD channels have audio problems, not all of them.
post #26 of 38 Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Did you try all the available hdmi ports? Next up I'd try calling or emailing your cable company. It could be a defective box that is having a problem with HDMI sync since you know the LG bluray player is working. I'd wager the cable company will want to do a box swap.
It was the cable box, which probably means I have a perfectly good 32" TV sitting in a closet. *doh*

GL
post #27 of 38 Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 PM

Has anyone hooked up an xbox 360 s to this TV? I seem to get input lag with hdmi, and was wondering if there are some enhancement features that I am forgetting to disable or just not seeing. Otherwise, would component get rid of the input lag? Component is still 1080p right? Or at least 1080i?

Thanks,
Aip
post #28 of 38 Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

it's a known thing about the slight delay on the hdmi ports. There is a xbox 360 vga out cable you could use. I've got a cheap 3rd party one and it works great. Or you could do component as you mentioned. Component is limited to 1080i or 720p I believe. The VGA out of the xbox can do 1080p. For gaming though, most of the games are limited to 720p and just upscaled anyway.
post #29 of 38 Old 07-23-2011, 09:48 PM

So the hdmi ports have lag for ANYTHING you connect to them? That really sucks considering there's only one of every other port and FIVE hdmi ports... There's no way to disable all the post-processing? I turned as much as I could off (which wasn't much). Only lets me put noise reduction on low though, not off. Obnoxious. Is there anything that can be used on the hdmi ports? PC - no, xbox - no. Would a blu-ray player work? Or would that desync video and sound? The 5 hdmi ports were actually a selling point for me... ugh.

I have to use the vga port for my pc connection, since otherwise there's input lag there too. I'd be ok with using component on the xbox, does this get rid of the input lag though? and 1080i vs 1080p *shrug* 720 vs 1080 for some games *shrug*

Thanks for any further input.
-Aip
post #30 of 38 Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

any input lag would not be an issue for video. It's only seems to be a problem for gaming. I personally didn't notice any input lag on the hdmi with the HTPC but I wasn't gaming on it so.. You'd be fine with the 360 just hooking it up with component. I doubt you could tell much of a difference
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Tcl Le40fhdp21ta 40 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page