Where are all the 240mHz TV's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung LCD 55" TV that has the 240mHz that I got last year. I wanted to go get another one that also has the 240mHz in it and noticed that hardly any TV's come wit it anymore... LCD or LED either. At Best Buy you mostly see 120mHz.

Has 240mHz gone out of style or something? Has 120mHz been updated as is now 240mHz equivalent? Any help would by appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skfields01 View Post

I have a Samsung LCD 55" TV that has the 240mHz that I got last year. I wanted to go get another one that also has the 240mHz in it and noticed that hardly any TV's come wit it anymore... LCD or LED either. At Best Buy you mostly see 120mHz.

Has 240mHz gone out of style or something? Has 120mHz been updated as is now 240mHz equivalent? Any help would by appreciated.

First off it's Hz not Mhz...

There are still many 240's around just possibly less as there is no discernible difference. Where some people will claim 240hz is a must is on 3DTV.. As I care very little about 3D, the refresh rate is not very important.
Keep in mind that the refresh rate of the TV has almost nothing to do with the overall quality of the TV... it's more of a gimmick then anything else to get you to shell out some extra hard earned cash.

All or most of the members here will tell you to turn this feature off because it gives the fake soap opera effect that true video enthusiasts despise.

Buy the TV, not the specs is my only suggestion. You can easily search google for a 120hz vs 240hz and see what most people are saying.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeskie View Post

First off it's Hz not Mhz...

There are still many 240's around just possibly less as there is no discernible difference. Where some people will claim 240hz is a must is on 3DTV.. As I care very little about 3D, the refresh rate is not very important.
Keep in mind that the refresh rate of the TV has almost nothing to do with the overall quality of the TV... it's more of a gimmick then anything else to get you to shell out some extra hard earned cash.

All or most of the members here will tell you to turn this feature off because it gives the fake soap opera effect that true video enthusiasts despise.

Buy the TV, not the specs is my only suggestion. You can easily search google for a 120hz vs 240hz and see what most people are saying.

1) Well implemented 120 and 240 Hz LCD TVs have visibly less motion blur than 60 Hz LCDs. This can be seen in action movies and some sports if you know what to look for.

2) You are confusing motion blur reduction with motion smoothing. It is motion smoothing,(and not the motion blur reduction) that creates the soap opera effect.

The confusion over these issues just goes on and on with misinformation being spread to those even less well informed than those who perpetuate the wrong information.

60 hz is only found on entry level panels, and for good reason.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Well 240hz do have some benefits, most people will be happy with a 120hz tv. Also the hz of a tv is not the same as the motion of the tv. Hz cannot be turned off only the auto motion can be adjusted to on,off or customized.
120hz has about 50% better picture than a 60hz where a 240hz tv is only about 20% than a 120hz. Most i doubt will notice a difference between a 120hz or 240hz tv. It's really all about the content, normal tv watching you wont see a difference. 3D, sports and action movies will get the most benefits.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Heck even the Sony HX929 is rated 960Hz with BFI, native 480Hz panel. Lol
post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

Heck even the Sony HX929 is rated 960Hz with BFI, native 480Hz panel. Lol

Wrong, 240Hz panel with BFI equaling Motionflow XR960. Not 960Hz.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
AFAIK almost all of the top of line LCD/LED model which also support 3D are 240Hz or higher models.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page