Wenstinghouse LD-4070Z 40" thin LED LCD 120hz @ Costco - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Search turned up no results for LD-4070Z.

http://westinghousedigital.com/produ...32-40/ld4070z/

Found this relatively cheap model at Costco B&M yesterday. My main PC monitor is a Westy LCD so I'm familiar with the brand and reasonably satisfied.

I am using this primarily as a monitor for a miniHTPC, connected via dsub.

Colors, contrast, clarity, brightness, and viewing angles are all very good. The TV's menu system has only basic options, but it's reasonable if you don't intend to do a lot tweaking or need widgets.

Bad: Light bleed from corners, especially the top left. Looks bad, but so far I have only noticed this when the screen is completely blacked out. Playing videos, or on the desktop, the lighting looks uniform.

Also, one stuck green pixel near upper right corner. I can only see it when the screen is blacked out. I'm guessing little flaws like this are common for bottom-dollar sets.

My main issue is that the connection between the display and the base seems very flimsy, and I have this TV on a tall rolling cart so I can move it between rooms. I have given it it support on either side of the stalk using paperback books... kind of ghetto looking but reduces the worrying wobble when I move the cart. I don't think it would be an issue if you planned on leaving it in one place.

It's good for the price but not great, probably what you can expect for the price. Undecided if I will keep it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
U will find very few people if any here interested commenting about a bargain brand.

That's the uniquely bad thing about a bargain brand. Not many people own it, a very small community if any, so if u run into problems, yr on your own.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 15 Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

U will find very few people if any here interested commenting about a bargain brand.

That's the uniquely bad thing about a bargain brand. Not many people own it, a very small community if any, so if u run into problems, yr on your own.

I completely disagree. Just because you're not interested, doesn't mean the rest of us aren't. I think there are a lot of people that would be interested in a 40" 1080p LED-LCD tv with 120hz refresh for sale at Costco for $475.00. First, if you're buying from Costco, you're never on your own because you have a 90 day return policy and a 2 year warranty with costco customer service to back you up. Second, did I mention it was only $475.00???

Now, you can be a brand snob all you want, but that's just silly. Why do you think that Westinghouse is always going to be a crap t.v.? I saw this set today at Costco and I was really impressed with it. It was set up right next to a Vizio 42 LED-LCD and a 42" Samsung LED-LCD and, quite frankly the picture quality was comparable on all three t.v.'s--although the sammy was a bit on the cool side--likely that vivid display purposes setting at work. The fact that they are comparable shouldn't really be that much of a surprise. The Westinghouse name and mark (for displays and tv's) is owned by Chei Mei Optoelectronics--one of the largest OEMs for lcd panels in the world. Chei Me is Taiwanese company that manufactures panels for, among others, Samsung, Philips, Funai, LG, Toshiba, Sony and, most recently, Sharp. Since they are the actual fabricator, they have the advantage of not having to pay a markup on the panel that they turn into a tv that is sold using their own Westinghouse brand.

Be a snob all you want, but for a person who wants a nice looking 40" tv, with a lot bells and whistles but with a tight budget, this may be a very good choice.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Yes, my son wasn't a brand snob either until he had four bad Westinghouse LCDs that all failed within the first year. Now he has two Samsungs and hasn't had any problems. You get what you pay for.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 View Post

Be a snob all you want

Wow u spent 3 full paragraphs attacking me instead of giving a solid answer to the OP, which proves my point...

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #6 of 15 Old 06-29-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Wow u spent 3 full paragraphs attacking me instead of giving a solid answer to the OP, which proves my point...

Good answer.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-02-2011, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought one of these westinghouse ld-4070z 40" 120hz LED edge lit set. I am extremely happy with the image quality, color, clarity , etc.

The remote looks and feels really cheap, tv menu options are pretty pitiful, worst speakers ive EVER heard on a TV set. not a big problem, it even has PC input for speakers, i am using my set of logitech 2.1 computer speakers and quite happy.

I got my westinghouse for $449 from costco after 2% cashback and 20% off on my first purchase as a costco member. For point of reference ive owned sony 46" 1080p 120hz lcd, 3 panasonic plasmas, a samsung plasma, some projectors. I just sold my 58" panasonic 1080p S2 plasma and was looking for something smaller for our new place.

Again i think image quality is great for the price, tv is light and thin for easy wall mounting -- but on the 2nd day of usage i notice two dead pixels in center of screen. one is red one is green. I plan to exchange it and hope 2nd one is ok, lucky costco has generous return policy. I was trying to hold out for an LG LV5500 but decided to go cheap.

Optoma HD131x
Harman Kardon AVR 2650
post #8 of 15 Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
It's not brand snobbery to advise against a brand that has yet to produce a set with anything resembling long-term (more than a year or two) reliability. Is it fair to assume this one's crap, maybe not, but if it isn't it's the first Westinghouse that isn't.

It's not unheard of for a crap brand to pull itself out of the basement and become competitive with the big names, Hyundai proved that in the automotive realm and early efforts from LG and Samsung in the tv business weren't exactly stellar.

There is and always has been such a thing as false economy. I'm not saying one has to buy a premium model from Sony or Samsung in order to get a decent set, just that common sense says that if something is very much cheaper than a known reliable brand there's usually a good reason. The numerous problem threads here on Westinghouse, Polaroid, etc. far outnumber those on other less expensive brands like Vizio or Toshiba.

Initial pq isn't by any means an indication that the thing is going to last.

Steve S.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-05-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing lasts forever... Westinghouse waaaaaay less.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
just noticed this set is down to 369, at costco, I was wondering what others had reviewed it too, just like anything else, anythings a question.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

...other less expensive brands like Vizio or Toshiba.

Toshiba is considered less expensive brand now? frown.gif I remember not too long ago when Toshiba was up there with Sony when it came to TV innovation and quality. Toshiba developed the flat CRT, IIRC, that everyone used.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

lol beautiful. & besides, you never even said you disapprove of the lower end brands' quality/pq per se, just pointed out the fact that they are not as often discussed, & less community support for settings/troubleshooting etc. IDK why he got so angry about that.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:

Dude! What is your problem, your answer had nothing to do with nothing. I am interested, I have a good Samsung but I am searching for a TV for a 10 year old boy to use for his XBOX. I want the best for $300 to $400 and this came up in my research.

If you are the Smartest of all your friends, then you're Dumb
post #14 of 15 Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:

Here are two great reason to hear about Bargain brands, (1) to know what to stay away from. (2) Sometimes those companies try to change their image by making an over the top good model. One that they wont make any money off but to clean up their reputation.

If you are the Smartest of all your friends, then you're Dumb
post #15 of 15 Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM

They must have finally got it right. I have owned one of these for over a year and have not have a single issue with it. It has a nice clear picture. I bought it for $350 from target and have been happy. I went to costco today and found it for $349.99 and will be buying a second set for my game room.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page