Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Changing the subject a little from creasing to audio and/or hdmi setup.

I'm not sure this is an 820 problem, or a problem with my receiver (onkyo tx-nr609).

So I downloaded some demo videos from http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php

In particular the Sony Eye Candy one and a couple of the lossless DTS demos (the orchestra and SFX).

So, the sony Eye candy works great sound and video work no problem. Whn I try the DTS ones, there is no audio (and that was the whole point of those videos). The DTS videos are DTS-HD MA 7.1, which my receiver should be able to handle with no problem (i think). The sony eye candy video is Dolby Digital 2.0.

I am using ARC to get the audio from my tv to my receiver, but it doesn't seem that the TV is sending any audio for the DTS 7.1s (the receiver does not detect any audio). But it does detect Dolby 2.0.

So, my question is, is this a prob with my receiver or my tv or my setup or the files on the above website? The file types are m2ts, ps3 won't play them at all, so I don't know any other way to test this.

Thanks

BTW, I have a small crease on the right side. Not enough to really care as you have to look for it to see it. Also have some uneven lighting, but I haven't calibrated yet, so I'm not too worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM

Liked: 11
^^what are you using to play the videos? ur pc? what software? try a normal 5.1 Dolby digital video and see if the tv passes the audio.
post #363 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

^^what are you using to play the videos? ur pc? what software? try a normal 5.1 Dolby digital video and see if the tv passes the audio.

I'm putting the files on a usb drive and plugging it into the tv. So the 820 is playing the videos and sending (or not) the audio to the receiver (via ARC).

I just tried a dolby digital+ 7.1 and that didn't work. I know Dolby Digital 2.0 works. I'll try a 5.1 next.

hmmm.....Dolby TrueHD 5.1 doesn't work.
I'm wondering, these files also have no audio on my PC (Win7 wmplayer11 or whatever is the latest).
Has anyone used files from that site, and do they have audio? I know eye candy does, but what about the others. I'm trying more....

...and then
Amazing Life 1 48,6MB 0:44 Dolby Digital 5.1 1080p 16.11.08
Works, but
Amazing Life (Lossless) 1-2 187,0MB 0:44 DTS-HD MA 5.1 1080p 21.05.10
Does not. (in fact this didn;t play at all so I think the file is corrupt). (What is a good rar opener? I am using rar file open knife)

It seems all the lossless ones are not working. Still trying....
post #364 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 PM

Notice a very slight aberation on the left side of the screen on my new(1 Mo) HX820. No big deal-set is FANTASTIC, & I could not be more pleased! From 3D, to Cable, to antenna, this set, in my humble opinion, gets' it done. Not sure, but is the "crease issue" somewhat over played? Wish to all the Best-Jerry
post #365 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post

Notice a very slight aberation on the left side of the screen on my new(1 Mo) HX820. No big deal-set is FANTASTIC, & I could not be more pleased! From 3D, to Cable, to antenna, this set, in my humble opinion, gets' it done. Not sure, but is the "crease issue" somewhat over played? Wish to all the Best-Jerry

Mine has the crease on the left (most prominent), right and the top left. It may not be a big deal to some, but I find it annoying. Kinda makes me wish I had saved a good deal of money and just went with the HX729.
post #366 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 PM

There's a software update today. I updated the software but not sure what it does new. I hate the fact that it doesn't tell you what's new besides "there may be settings changed." looked on the Sony site and the update is not listed there. Anyone notice anything new?
post #367 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1281 View Post

There's a software update today. I updated the software but not sure what it does new. I hate the fact that it doesn't tell you what's new besides "there may be settings changed." looked on the Sony site and the update is not listed there. Anyone notice anything new?

I got the update too and agree they should release a change log.
post #368 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 PM

just bought my 55HX820 from amazon today. i was able to get the Samsung UN55D8000 at the similar price but i chose the Sony because i think Samsung's color is too vibrant if there's such thing. Sony's picture just look more comfortable to my eyes. also almost frame-less Samsung screen looks really weird, i kind of like the black bezel around the Sony screen. i have a 2 year old Denon 5.1 AV receiver, it doesn't support 3D, can i use it for regular 2D blu-ray movie viewing?
post #369 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 PM

Did anyone in here visually cmpare the LG 5600/6500 series sets with this before choosing it? Not enough reviews on this set to jusge it much really. The 729 isn't rated very well in picture quality, so if this is similar, as I assume, then it wouldn't seem worth the extra several hundred over the lg price. But with the glass maybe the contrast would impress me. Another negative is no free 3d glasses with this one. Oh yeah and only 1 freakin component input when I need 2

Also is there not any sort of audio sync feature?
post #370 of 2587 Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

Did anyone in here visually cmpare the LG 5600/6500 series sets with this before choosing it? Not enough reviews on this set to jusge it much really. The 729 isn't rated very well in picture quality, so if this is similar, as I assume, then it wouldn't seem worth the extra several hundred over the lg price. But with the glass maybe the contrast would impress me. Another negative is no free 3d glasses with this one. Oh yeah and only 1 freakin component input when I need 2

Also is there not any sort of audio sync feature?

I knew the picture quality of the Sony was amazing at home but it's not until I saw it next to the other sets at the local electronic store that really blew me away. The blacks was so much blacker than other tv even darker than the plasma next to it. The motion flow was not as extreme as the samsung which imo is the next best set. I can't remember the exact brands directly next to it, I think it was a panasonic, samsung, and visio or LG. My friend has a LG and the 3d is total crap. He is regretting the purchase. My advice is forget the online reviews and go to the local store and spend so time comparing it to the other sets. You'll see what I mean.
post #371 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 AM

I've gone to stores a lot of times, but it's hard to judge. Partly due to their settings. For instance the LG looked terrible at best buy, but good at home. The Sonys looked bad in best buy to me also. Inf act basically everythign did except sharp, and people in general seem to not like sharp.

Main complaint I've seen for this set is glare thus far. Oh and the fact that the sony idiots made this only 3D Ready rather than the transmitter built in. But for me personally another drawback is only one component input.

Also I'll assume it has no audio sync feature since it hasn't been mentioned. And does streaming videos from a computer allow for wmv file viewing or is it not one of the supported formats?

I could overlook some things if I would definitely feel the picture is good enough.
post #372 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:

I've gone to stores a lot of times, but it's hard to judge. Partly due to their settings. For instance the LG looked terrible at best buy, but good at home. The Sonys looked bad in best buy to me also. Inf act basically everythign did except sharp, and people in general seem to not like sharp.

Main complaint I've seen for this set is glare thus far. Oh and the fact that the sony idiots made this only 3D Ready rather than the transmitter built in. But for me personally another drawback is only one component input.

Also I'll assume it has no audio sync feature since it hasn't been mentioned. And does streaming videos from a computer allow for wmv file viewing or is it not one of the supported formats?

I could overlook some things if I would definitely feel the picture is good enough.

The 55hx820 has built in 3d transmitter. All you need to buy are the glasses. If 3d is important to you and it appears that way, there should be no hesitation in buying the hx820. From my experience vs the LG its no comparison. The Sony really shines in this area. All the reviews here and online agrees that the Sony 55hx820 has the best 3d viewing to date.

As far having multiple component input you should consider buying an amp. You must likely need one anyways cause the Sony does not have the greatest built in speakers.
post #373 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 AM

3D matters to me, but not nearly as much as 2D. Also, if I get the Sony I am likely going down smaller to the 46 which was said to not have the transmitter with it in articles I had ead.
post #374 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:

What is the importance of component video inputs? The 3D transmitter is built in. Why not get a decent home theater receiver if you need more inputs? Also, I took the info below directly from Sony's web page.

Under the Features tab...
"See It All in 3D - Enjoy incredible depth and a sharp, Full HD 1080p picture from the leader in 3D technology. 5 Plus easy set up with built-in 3D sync transmitter. (3D Active Glasses required, sold separately)"

Under the Specifications tab...
"3D Features - 3D Sync Transmitter Integrated : Yes"

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666312878
post #375 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

I got the update too and agree they should release a change log.

It seems that it takes 3-4 weeks after a firmware update for Sony to list the details of the new firmware on :
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...os_group_id=18

I spoke to someone at Sony about this and they told me that its Sony's policy to wait until they have completed rolling out a firmware update to all regions before they post the details of the update on their eSupport site. Since they roll out region by region the process can take several weeks before we get to see the details.

LB
post #376 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev999 View Post

just bought my 55HX820 from amazon today. i was able to get the Samsung UN55D8000 at the similar price but i chose the Sony because i think Samsung's color is too vibrant if there's such thing. Sony's picture just look more comfortable to my eyes. also almost frame-less Samsung screen looks really weird, i kind of like the black bezel around the Sony screen. i have a 2 year old Denon 5.1 AV receiver, it doesn't support 3D, can i use it for regular 2D blu-ray movie viewing?

You don't mention which Denon receiver model, but in general I think you should be okay to process 2D through the receiver to the HX820 via the HDMI cables. You should give the Denon folks a call to be sure:
http://usa.denon.com/US/ContactUs/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

LB
post #377 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

What is the importance of component video inputs? The 3D transmitter is built in. Why not get a decent home theater receiver if you need more inputs? Also, I took the info below directly from Sony's web page.

Under the Features tab...
"See It All in 3D - Enjoy incredible depth and a sharp, Full HD 1080p picture from the leader in 3D technology. 5 Plus easy set up with built-in 3D sync transmitter. (3D Active Glasses required, sold separately)"

Under the Specifications tab...
"3D Features - 3D Sync Transmitter Integrated : Yes"

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666312878

Every article/review I had read from "professionals" was whining that you had to buy a $50 transmitter that was not included. So either something changed or... I don't know. But that's what I've seen multiple times about it. Maybe I somehow read a review of the wrong model, but I don't think so.

As far as AV equipment... not everyone can buy a million things as you apprenrly think. Give me the money and I'[ll buy something.
post #378 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

You don't mention which Denon receiver model, but in general I think you should be okay to process 2D through the receiver to the HX820 via the HDMI cables. You should give the Denon folks a call to be sure:
http://usa.denon.com/US/ContactUs/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

mine is a Denon 2310CI
post #379 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Every article/review I had read from "professionals" was whining that you had to buy a $50 transmitter that was not included. So either something changed or... I don't know. But that's what I've seen multiple times about it. Maybe I somehow read a review of the wrong model, but I don't think so.

As far as AV equipment... not everyone can buy a million things as you apprenrly think. Give me the money and I'[ll buy something.

I'd definitely go to a retail store and make sure for yourself. I just figured if you have the funds to spend on an expensive television like this, you wouldn't cut corners and not buy an A/V receiver. You're going to be disappointed with the sound quality from the TV's speakers.
post #380 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:

I brought a new pioneer amp 1021k from amazon for $400. Polk speakers for $250. Now I have a 3d compatible amp with 5 hdmi inputs couple of component inputs, RCA inputs, pc inputs, airplay, etc etc oh and an awesome sounding home theater system. Far from a "million things."
post #381 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM

what is the version of the new software update?

i dont know if my one installed last night or not while i was sleeping..but it says

pkg3.407AAA
post #382 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Homer View Post

I'm putting the files on a usb drive and plugging it into the tv. So the 820 is playing the videos and sending (or not) the audio to the receiver (via ARC). I just tried a dolby digital+ 7.1 and that didn't work. I know Dolby Digital 2.0 works. I'll try a 5.1 next.
hmmm.....Dolby TrueHD 5.1 doesn't work.
I'm wondering, these files also have no audio on my PC (Win7 wmplayer11 or whatever is the latest).
Has anyone used files from that site, and do they have audio? I know eye candy does, but what about the others. I'm trying more.......and then
Amazing Life 1 48,6MB 0:44 Dolby Digital 5.1 1080p 16.11.08
Works, but
Amazing Life (Lossless) 1-2 187,0MB 0:44 DTS-HD MA 5.1 1080p 21.05.10
Does not. (in fact this didn;t play at all so I think the file is corrupt). (What is a good rar opener? I am using rar file open knife)

It seems all the lossless ones are not working. Still trying....

looks like DTS doesn't work at all...no matter what. i knew the tv doesnt support dts..but it should be able to pass it to the receiver thru ARC.

not just dts..it probably cant pass any HD audio signal. only can do upto dolby digital 5.1.

why dont u plug in the usb to the receiver rather than going thru the tv? unless ur receiver dont have a usb input.
post #383 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

midnight77, no worries...long time Sony TV owner stevedensmore is correct--if you are purchasing the North American model, the 46HX820 includes the 3D transmitter. Easy to check out on the Sony USA website for the Sony KDL-46HX820...and yeah the HX line is a great TV

LB
post #384 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev999 View Post

mine is a Denon 2310CI

Kev999: The Denon 2310CI is a very nice system with full ( five input 1080P/24P) HDMI capabilities so I'd say you are more than okay for 2D HD pass-through to the HX820. I'm also thinking you can still view 3D content on this TV via one of the streaming apps like Sony's Qriocity 3D movie menu. Or by connecting a 3D capable bluray player directly to the TV ( bypassing the Denone utilizing the TV speakers for sound)

LB
post #385 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone.

Well, the price went way up on Amazon for the 55 and it's always hard knowing if they will match another price before the purchase is done as I see it much less some palces. Since Amazon says some rebates expire tomorrow, I wonder if everyone else will be going way up on the price again though.

So I'm probably stuck. I "don't" really have the money to be spending on it to begin with, thus why not buying audio equipment yet.
post #386 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what is the version of the new software update?

i dont know if my one installed last night or not while i was sleeping..but it says

pkg3.407AAA

I did my HX820 update today. Version pkg3.505AAA

LB
post #387 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Where in the world would I go to see this on display? I don;'t know wtf a magnolia store is and on best buy's site it simply says store pickup not available and nothing tot ell if any stores near me are "magnolia stores". The model isn't listed at all on hhgregg's site. If I truly consider this my only option may be to have my current tv and this tv both on my credit card at the same time and then decide which to send back.
post #388 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where in the world would I go to see this on display? I don;'t know wtf a magnolia store is and on best buy's site it simply says store pickup not available and nothing tot ell if any stores near me are "magnolia stores". The model isn't listed at all on hhgregg's site. If I truly consider this my only option may be to have my current tv and this tv both on my credit card at the same time and then decide which to send back.

You can see this TV at BestBuy ( "Magnolia" is the high-end TV department inside the Bestbuy department store itself.) Also check to see if there is a local Sony Store within driving distance of your city/town at
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...nyStyle_Stores.

Sears also carries Sony TVs --if you have access to a Sears you might want to call to see if they have the HX820 locally

LB
post #389 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Thanks.
post #390 of 2587 Old 09-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:

looks like DTS doesn't work at all...no matter what. i knew the tv doesnt support dts..but it should be able to pass it to the receiver thru ARC.

not just dts..it probably cant pass any HD audio signal. only can do upto dolby digital 5.1.

why dont u plug in the usb to the receiver rather than going thru the tv? unless ur receiver dont have a usb input.

As far as I can tell the receiver (onkyo tx-nr609) doesn't decode teh video. The USB can only take audio files.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page