Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2584 Old 09-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Random, but where are you guys finding this Sony Eye Candy video? I'd like to try it out on my TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2584 Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure which one of you folks to reply to, because each of your posts contained problems similar to the ones I came across tonight with my 3-month old Sony 46HX820. It turned itself off, turned back on, off, etc., 5 times, staying on for about 30 seconds each time. Then the standby indicator blinked 8 times. I wasn't doing anything fancy...nothing connected to it except a DVR and a DVD player. I've thought about doing that diagnostic screen one of you suggested. I do not look forward to lugging this baby 75 miles to the nearest authorized dealer...I live in the country, in Mississippi, and bought this mail order from Amazon. I have unplugged it a couple of times and just left it, resisted the impulse to hit it with a hammer as an old electronic tech, but so far it appears to make no difference. Any ideas or suggestions, folks? In the old days we would say it's a relay...who knows nowadays. I've never in my life had a TV fail in 3 months, especially not one as expensive as this. I knew I should not have spent this much $$!!...no, we've had no storms, but we did have a power outage about two weeks ago during TS Lee. The TV did get the software download the other night. TIA and all suggestions appreciated! Kathy
post #453 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

Random, but where are you guys finding this Sony Eye Candy video? I'd like to try it out on my TV.

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php
post #454 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by keinwich View Post

I'm not sure which one of you folks to reply to, because each of your posts contained problems similar to the ones I came across tonight with my 3-month old Sony 46HX820. It turned itself off, turned back on, off, etc., 5 times, staying on for about 30 seconds each time. Then the standby indicator blinked 8 times. I wasn't doing anything fancy...nothing connected to it except a DVR and a DVD player. I've thought about doing that diagnostic screen one of you suggested. I do not look forward to lugging this baby 75 miles to the nearest authorized dealer...I live in the country, in Mississippi, and bought this mail order from Amazon. I have unplugged it a couple of times and just left it, resisted the impulse to hit it with a hammer as an old electronic tech, but so far it appears to make no difference. Any ideas or suggestions, folks? In the old days we would say it's a relay...who knows nowadays. I've never in my life had a TV fail in 3 months, especially not one as expensive as this. I knew I should not have spent this much $$!!...no, we've had no storms, but we did have a power outage about two weeks ago during TS Lee. The TV did get the software download the other night. TIA and all suggestions appreciated! Kathy

You mean the tv doesn't start at all now?? I have had the resetting problem once but the power light never blinked like that. Since you bought it from amazon, maybe you should contact them first and see what they can do before contacting sony directly.
post #455 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Look at my earlier post and run the diagnostic screen. (Top of page 15 in this thread.) Should tell you exactly which error is causing you issues.

Site: Sony KDL-55HX820 | Sony KDL-55NX810 | Sony KDL-40XBR
Sound: Onkyo TX-SR608 | Energy Take Classic 7.2 w/ M8 SW
Input: Playstation 3 Slim 320gb | Xbox 360 S 250gb | Roku XDS | Samsung BD-C6800
post #456 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Still deciding between this and the 929 and lg, but I can say one thing... many many more people are having sets have major problems with this and even the 929 compared to the lg. Pretty sad when this many people have to have sets repaired half a year from their build date!
post #457 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

Still deciding between this and the 929 and lg, but I can say one thing... many many more people are having sets have major problems with this and even the 929 compared to the lg. Pretty sad when this many people have to have sets repaired half a year from their build date!

I have to disagree with this statement. Although it may appear like that, you have to remember that most of the people on this site are super picky and looking for the best. That's why they flock to Sony. The vast majority of LG customers aren't really "in the know". If you look at how well their sets fair in general reviews and build quality, you'll see the company as a whole is really lacking compared to Sony. I've owned an LG LCD and the colors weren't crisp, blacks looked blue and overall felt like a cheaper TV.

Input: Playstation 3 Slim 320gb | Xbox 360 S 250gb | Roku XDS | Samsung BD-C6800
post #458 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the comments, folks. I tried running Aquayonex's screen diagnostic several times, using the instructions, and could not get it to come up. I was really hoping for to see that, cuz I am out of Amazon's 30-day return policy and now only have the option of carrying the set to an Authorized Sony Repair center, 75 miles away.

The set can be manually turned back on after it turns itself off (the 5th time during its off/on process), but it just begins the off/on process again. The set does not stay on long enough to get to the "Home" controls. Arggh. I even saw some comments on the forum about some problems solved by disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI cables...tried that to no effect. Ha, turned to the East and bowed 3 times, no help either. It's off to the repair shop for this baby. I knee-jerked to buy Sony (long personal history) and shouldn't have. I absolutely love this TV, but I have held off for years buying a LCD TV just because of fear of this kind of thing. - Kathy
post #459 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 AM

That depends on model though. Even CNET says blacks are good for an edge lit on the LG and that it has perhaps the best color accuracy. I ahve it sitting in my room right now as I have had it for a wek and my 820 will be here within the next few days. Then I have to figure out after viewing the Sony whether to keep one or the otehr, get a different size, or go with the 929.

I can afford the 929 probably if I truly think it's worth it, but it seems odd to me that so many think it's worth paying double for it than some other good tvs.
post #460 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Well, folks, my little drama is over, it appears, and I have to share with you the solution. A friend has the same KDL46HX820 as I, and she called Best Buy where she bought it. They told her what the blinking lights etc indicated: "safe mode", caused by a power surge. They said to try to call Sony, and they might have an easy solution. This never occurred to me because of past experiences with Sony...they always wanted $$ to talk, long wait, whether my equipment was in warranty or not. Much to my surprise, I did get through to them quickly, no cost, and they had a fix. I guess electronics do get better and better. The tech said (it does sound a lot like spin around three times and bow to the east) with the original remote, 1) turn the TV on; press the UP arrow and hold (in the center circle), making sure the green indicator light on the TV is blinking; 2)turn off the TV with the manual button on the side of the TV. The TV should turn off and on displaying the word RESET on the screen. This resets everything you've done on the TV, but also fixes the SAFE mode. Had to do it a couple of times before it worked, but it worked! The tech then walked me through re-setting up the TV and making sure everything was OK. Yay SONY! Thanks for all the suggestions and help from y'all, I hope this helps someone else out there with any similar problems. - Kathy, Hancock County, Mississipppi, home of the thunderstorms.
post #461 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
yel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1281 View Post

This is very true. I also went to the local store (bestbuy) and the 820 and 929 on display both had similar issues (crease). The hx720 also had it but not as noticeable. Even the samsung had it but a lot thinner than on the 820. For this reason I am probably not going to exchange it since the replacement will have the same issue.

On a side note while looking at the 820 next to a plasma and a cheaper led tv, I was blown away with how dark and rich the blacks looked on the 820 even comparing to the plasma which use to be the standard in picture quality. The 820 is truly superior in picture quality.

Update on my 55 HX820 Crease issue - Sony support reference me to a authorized servicer in my area, who said they would come and replace the entire panel (not exactly sure which all parts form a panel) and keep it for a 2 day inspection. Apparently thats the only way the crease would go.

While the response has been good from Sony...., I am wondering if it is a good idea to get the screen replaced (repairing the new TV) or Is it better to ask for replacement TV? As always looking for suggestions from this forum ...in helping me take appropriate decision
post #462 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
IMO its always better to replace the entire tv...I wouldn't want a "refurbished" tv.
post #463 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yel View Post

Update on my 55 HX820 Crease issue - Sony support reference me to a authorized servicer in my area, who said they would come and replace the entire panel (not exactly sure which all parts form a panel) and keep it for a 2 day inspection. Apparently thats the only way the crease would go.

While the response has been good from Sony...., I am wondering if it is a good idea to get the screen replaced (repairing the new TV) or Is it better to ask for replacement TV? As always looking for suggestions from this forum ...in helping me take appropriate decision

I have to agree replace is better than repair. But who to say the replacement wont have the same issues. If I had the choice I would ask for a replacement then if the replacement has the same issue I then ask for repair. Either way keeps us inform, I like to know my options too.
post #464 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Do any of you "not" have the crease? I sure hope somehow I don't have it when mine shows up.
post #465 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofascist View Post

If you read Sony's warranty, they have the option to repair with refurbished parts or to replace an entire set with a refurbished unit.

Well if the only option is replacing with a refurbished unit i rather them repairing my unit because who knows what abuse the refurbished unit went through
post #466 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Well, folks, my little drama is over, it appears, and I have to share with you the solution. A friend has the same KDL46HX820 as I, and she called Best Buy where she bought it. They told her what the blinking lights etc indicated: "safe mode", caused by a power surge. They said to try to call Sony, and they might have an easy solution. This never occurred to me because of past experiences with Sony...they always wanted $$ to talk, long wait, whether my equipment was in warranty or not. Much to my surprise, I did get through to them quickly, no cost, and they had a fix. I guess electronics do get better and better. The tech said (it does sound a lot like spin around three times and bow to the east) with the original remote, 1) turn the TV on; press the UP arrow and hold (in the center circle), making sure the green indicator light on the TV is blinking; 2)turn off the TV with the manual button on the side of the TV. The TV should turn off and on displaying the word RESET on the screen. This resets everything you've done on the TV, but also fixes the SAFE mode. Had to do it a couple of times before it worked, but it worked! The tech then walked me through re-setting up the TV and making sure everything was OK. Yay SONY! Thanks for all the suggestions and help from y'all, I hope this helps someone else out there with any similar problems. - Kathy, Hancock County, Mississipppi, home of the thunderstorms.

Have always found Sony support terrific! Surprised you did not call when you encountered the on-off issue. Glad is was resolved.
post #467 of 2584 Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianRobot View Post

It's a bad photo taken in bad light, but it shows what my issue is (see bottom corners). No matter what I do to the settings, it is always at least faintly noticeable. Think I might take my chances on a replacement.

Not aceptable. Go ahead and swap the set. I've owned 3 NX810 and HX820 and never even remotely seen that much light leakage no matter how dark the scene was. SWAP
Matter of fact when set is on STANDBY(AFTER BEING TURNED off for 5secs): ON REMOTE PRESS SEQUENCIALY: DISPLAY 5 VOLUME(up) POWER You will see a list displayed in GREEN font and at bottom on PANEL is your panel name. NOW EXIT (TURN TV OFF TO EXIT) DO NOT TRY TO BE CURIOUS AT THIS POINT BY RANDOMLY PRESSING STUFF!!
HX820 questions. Do any of you notice "banding" or vertical and horizontal bars (during bright scenes or a white background or on sony NO Signal screen saver) about 1-1/2 inch thick kinda evenly spaced out? I see them on mine but believe its the new LED backlight distribution panel/difuser dont know.

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Sony_KD..._TV_Review.htm

NX810 VS HX820
1-X Reality PRO Engne is very similar to the BE3 just that the X reality Pro gives you more adjustment (Gazillion) compared to BE3.
2-The NX810 has a much brighter, sharper and a spot on color saturated image compared to the HX, whereas the HX settings have to be pushed kinda hard to match out of the box settings of the NX.
3-HX betters the NX in 3D image.
4-SD content the HX X-Reality Pro can clean a lot of noise in its settings whereas the NX does a fair job but very much acceptable. HD is a toss because most times the NX can realy render a solid no noscence image i mean like WOW whilist the HX just has a clean or clear ho hum image. What I mean to say is the NX810 can kick ass in HD more times then the HX820 kinda like the X-Reality processor goes to sleep or is figuring how to clean up the content its receiving.
5-With sharpness defeated (0) on the NX810 and thus done the same on the HX820 and X Reality OFF. The NX is clearly much sharper than the HX. Even when X Reality is ON still the NX is sharper, you'd kinda have to MAX the HX settings to match or beat the NX's. Even the Raster on the NX is remarkably sharper looking than on the HX's this tells me that the HX820 is purposely set SOFTER/LOWER on its image gamma/sharpness/focus from factory making it look softer but can be adjusted in the service menu (Ofcourse you know I will. COMING SOON). Although this can be scary because the softer the image the less pixelation/noise you see = weaker processor tacticts too to hide noise Hmmmm???
6-BLACK levels the HX wins hands down without flashlighting or blooming (NX can have blooming and pronounced LED light leakage, HX hard pressed to find any whatsoever unless youre realy looking). Both have great shadow details though and excellent black level performers. The NX is set brighter though in contrast levels. But then again not that the HX cant be brightened but in the service menu ofcourse.
7-Dont knock down BE3 in the HX810 its still an excellent processor. X- Reality Pro is still in the works but just tad better processor.
8-Color accuracy the NX810 is excellent while the HX820 is very very good whith a little tweaking becomes excellent. HX has weaker reds, greens and blues compared to the NX so you get less saturated colors. Faces on HX have a pinkish tone as opposed to a solid facial tone ofcourse HUE somewhat can adjust this. Here thus NX810 has a super grayscale black and white imgae look flawless.
9-Uniformity. Its a sad toss (winner is loser). Confused? While the HX rarely has clouding, flashlighting or blooming its whites are not super white but with redish/pinkish bloatches randomly visible on a somewhat dirty-ish white background (pale white). The NX on the otherhand has super clorox bleached like white whites (doesnt get any whiter than this)-I mean even Snow White "cant touch this" let alone Hammer...... But it exhibits more clouding, blooming and flashlighting. They seam to have the same premium S-LCD panel (refurbished models carry less premium samsung panels).

WHO WINS?? If you dont mind 3D performance get the NX810 or either for that matter. But if you value picture quality over gimmicks go for the NX. But as far as internet goes the HX820 has the balls to clear internet noise and the great web speed aswell. But then again, not like the NX810 cant follow through here quite as well. I have the HX.
post #468 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

wow..so it was a power surge problem for me then i guess. i think i should finally get those surge protectors
post #469 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the comments, folks. I tried running Aquayonex's screen diagnostic several times, using the instructions, and could not get it to come up. I was really hoping for to see that, cuz I am out of Amazon's 30-day return policy and now only have the option of carrying the set to an Authorized Sony Repair center, 75 miles away.

The set can be manually turned back on after it turns itself off (the 5th time during its off/on process), but it just begins the off/on process again. The set does not stay on long enough to get to the "Home" controls. Arggh. I even saw some comments on the forum about some problems solved by disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI cables...tried that to no effect. Ha, turned to the East and bowed 3 times, no help either. It's off to the repair shop for this baby. I knee-jerked to buy Sony (long personal history) and shouldn't have. I absolutely love this TV, but I have held off for years buying a LCD TV just because of fear of this kind of thing. - Kathy

You're starting with the TV off right? I know a lot of people who have their TV on and try to do it and it won't work.

If the TV is off when you start and this still isn't working, you must be pressing the buttons out of order. This is the standard diagnostic screen on all Sony's built in the last few years.

Make sure the remote is in TV mode, not your cable box or something else. Press TV to make sure before you start this.

With the TV Off, begin.
Display.
Channel #5
Down on the VOLUME button
Power TV on (not the other power button on the remote)

post #470 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

Not aceptable. Go ahead and swap the set. I've owned 3 NX810 and HX820 and never even remotely seen that much light leakage no matter how dark the scene was. SWAP
Matter of fact when set is on STANDBY(AFTER BEING TURNED off for 5secs): ON REMOTE PRESS SEQUENCIALY: DISPLAY 5 VOLUME(up) POWER You will see a list displayed in GREEN font and at bottom on PANEL is your panel name. NOW EXIT (TURN TV OFF TO EXIT) DO NOT TRY TO BE CURIOUS AT THIS POINT BY RANDOMLY PRESSING STUFF!!
HX820 questions. Do any of you notice "banding" or vertical and horizontal bars (during bright scenes or a white background or on sony NO Signal screen saver) about 1-1/2 inch thick kinda evenly spaced out? I see them on mine but believe its the new LED backlight distribution panel/difuser dont know.

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Sony_KD..._TV_Review.htm

NX810 VS HX820
1-X Reality PRO Engne is very similar to the BE3 just that the X reality Pro gives you more adjustment (Gazillion) compared to BE3.
2-The NX810 has a much brighter, sharper and a spot on color saturated image compared to the HX, whereas the HX settings have to be pushed kinda hard to match out of the box settings of the NX.
3-HX betters the NX in 3D image.
4-SD content the HX X-Reality Pro can clean a lot of noise in its settings whereas the NX does a fair job but very much acceptable. HD is a toss because most times the NX can realy render a solid no noscence image i mean like WOW whilist the HX just has a clean or clear ho hum image. What I mean to say is the NX810 can kick ass in HD more times then the HX820 kinda like the X-Reality processor goes to sleep or is figuring how to clean up the content its receiving.
5-With sharpness defeated (0) on the NX810 and thus done the same on the HX820 and X Reality OFF. The NX is clearly much sharper than the HX. Even when X Reality is ON still the NX is sharper, you'd kinda have to MAX the HX settings to match or beat the NX's. Even the Raster on the NX is remarkably sharper looking than on the HX's this tells me that the HX820 is purposely set SOFTER/LOWER on its image gamma/sharpness/focus from factory making it look softer but can be adjusted in the service menu (Ofcourse you know I will. COMING SOON). Although this can be scary because the softer the image the less pixelation/noise you see = weaker processor tacticts too to hide noise Hmmmm???
6-BLACK levels the HX wins hands down without flashlighting or blooming (NX can have blooming and pronounced LED light leakage, HX hard pressed to find any whatsoever unless youre realy looking). Both have great shadow details though and excellent black level performers. The NX is set brighter though in contrast levels. But then again not that the HX cant be brightened but in the service menu ofcourse.
7-Dont knock down BE3 in the HX810 its still an excellent processor. X- Reality Pro is still in the works but just tad better processor.
8-Color accuracy the NX810 is excellent while the HX820 is very very good whith a little tweaking becomes excellent. HX has weaker reds, greens and blues compared to the NX so you get less saturated colors. Faces on HX have a pinkish tone as opposed to a solid facial tone ofcourse HUE somewhat can adjust this. Here thus NX810 has a super grayscale black and white imgae look flawless.
9-Uniformity. Its a sad toss (winner is loser). Confused? While the HX rarely has clouding, flashlighting or blooming its whites are not super white but with redish/pinkish bloatches randomly visible on a somewhat dirty-ish white background (pale white). The NX on the otherhand has super clorox bleached like white whites (doesnt get any whiter than this)-I mean even Snow White "cant touch this" let alone Hammer...... But it exhibits more clouding, blooming and flashlighting. They seam to have the same premium S-LCD panel (refurbished models carry less premium samsung panels).

WHO WINS?? If you dont mind 3D performance get the NX810 or either for that matter. But if you value picture quality over gimmicks go for the NX. But as far as internet goes the HX820 has the balls to clear internet noise and the great web speed aswell. But then again, not like the NX810 cant follow through here quite as well. I have the HX.

I own both of these TVs and have to say, I don't think these notes are completely accurate in all areas. In my experience, the HX color reproduction is much more accurate and needs less out of box adjustment than the NX. And I've calibrated a buttload of LCD's to match THX. Sony's internal sales website even directs associates to sell the HX to consumers who are looking for the best picture quality.

post #471 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Doers anyone kow which build dates start having less chance of the crease? i guess there is no definite answer since I noticed someone with a build date of August had the crease for the 929.
post #472 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM

Just found out my HX820 has the "Crease" problem. Its being replaced next week with a new s-lcd panel. From my experiennce though and trained eyes i'd have to say the NX810 performed better even the tech said that there is something not quite right about the HX kinda like an inferior design but with more features. I mean Gorila glass is peeling off the bezel, tv stands leaning etc. Overal it has an image thats a tad sfter than the NX. I'll give the replacement a shot maybe i have a bad HX set.
post #473 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM

If the NX is better, then that's odd ebcause normally one would think the latest tvs improve on the previous ones. this is going to be a mess deciding which tv I want to keep.
post #474 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 PM

does anyone know if you can hook up a iphone and display pictures and video?
post #475 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Do any of you "not" have the crease? I sure hope somehow I don't have it when mine shows up.

Do Not! have the crease! The 46HX820 in my humble opinion, performs to all of my expectations. Delivered diectly from the Sony Warehouse in S.Jersey, to my dealer, then to my home. Could not be more pleased! Jerry
post #476 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post

Do Not! have the crease! The 46HX820 in my humble opinion, performs to all of my expectations. Delivered diectly from the Sony Warehouse in S.Jersey, to my dealer, then to my home. Could not be more pleased! Jerry

Cool. I hope I feel the same way. I have a 55 inch lg I had bought and still haven't returned and now today I started thinking again maybe I need 55. So I can't even decide on size, let alone brand or model. lol
post #477 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipermv View Post

does anyone know if you can hook up a iphone and display pictures and video?

My HX820 does not recognize my iPhone via the USB or via the wireless quick connect app. The only way I have been able to view iPhone Pics and videos is to copy to a PC then via DNLA stream to my TV over my network. I believe you can also connect the AppleTV to the HX820 and then AirPlay from your iPhone.

Anyone else figure out another way to connect the iPhone to the HX820?

LB
post #478 of 2584 Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 PM

Has anyone noticed skin tones being bad? Someone said on the 909 and 929 skin tones are too grey or something like that. I would assume it would be thatw ay on thiss et also and so now I am already worrying about this set before it's even delivered to me. lol
post #479 of 2584 Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:

Has anyone noticed skin tones being bad? Someone said on the 909 and 929 skin tones are too grey or something like that. I would assume it would be thatw ay on thiss et also and so now I am already worrying about this set before it's even delivered to me. lol

I have not made any adjustments on my TV yet but sometimes I think there is too much red in the tones. Any suggestions for adjusting this?
post #480 of 2584 Old 09-24-2011, 04:53 AM

My TV keeps flashing "Power Saving Off" What is that about? How do I fix this?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page