Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2587 Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKramer View Post

does HX820 have PVR function? To record programs on external hard drive.
I was reading somewhere that it has PVR ability except for European markets. Is that true?

no..not in the usa...

if this tv has PVR ability, it will only be in europe or japan.

i know the hx929 has this ability in europe for sure but not in the usa
thegladiator75 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2587 Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

Lowering the backlight doesn't have much effect on black levels and gets it out of torch mode, but I have noticed dropping brightness majorly crushes blacks. I guess that's the price we have to pay for inky blacks and no clouding or flashlighting.

True. Adjusting the WHITE level does though and doesnt seam to crush the blacks.
post #543 of 2587 Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

no..not in the usa...

if this tv has PVR ability, it will only be in europe or japan.

i know the hx929 has this ability in europe for sure but not in the usa

I'm in Australia.
And shouldn't it be possible to enable PVR functionality through Service Menu?
post #544 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

True. Adjusting the WHITE level does though and doesnt seam to crush the blacks.

I'd try the service menu white level adjustment, but I'm afraid it'll mess something up and not change anything for the better. How was your experience with it?

*Update* I just did the service menu white level adjustment. Not sure how I feel about it. I changed it to 04 and it lessened the effect of the crease. I tried 07 and it eliminated it completely, but appeared to have increased flashlighting around the edges. What was the factory default?
post #545 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitmiss View Post

My TV keeps flashing "Power Saving Off" What is that about? How do I fix this?

Mine does that too. Anyone knows what is it?
post #546 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM

There is another new update for my 55HX820 this morning. I really wish I knew what it was for. Sonys website sucks.
post #547 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leventcur View Post

There is another new update for my 55HX820 this morning. I really wish I knew what it was for. Sonys website sucks.

I think this is the second or third update for the Americas region since their last firmware positing their website on 8/10/2011.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...3#/downloadTab

If you really want to know the details of the update and you have the patience, you can call in and ask for their Level 2 support team in San Diego. This will take some time as the level 1 support teams in the Philippines or Costa Rica will do what they can to try and answer your question ( even though they don't have the info either--they will search for it) so you may have to be politely persistent about speaking to level 2 support.

Believe it or not, When I finally got through to Level 2 in San Diego they told me I was the first to call in and ask about timely website firmware update details posted on their website. They also told me that they generally don't post until they roll-out the update to all regions across the globe ( meaning weeks before we see the details posted depending upon the region you are in). However, I haven't seen any updates posted for the last few updates for this TV.

Here's the number to call if you are in the US (239-768-7547 then option 4 )

LB
post #548 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Vudu was not included on the HX820. However,you can get it on the PS3--you just have to download the app to the PS3 from the PS3 network.

Qriocity, Sony's streaming video app (included on the HX820) has both free 3D content and 3D movies for rent. Also check out Sony's 3D experience ( several free 3D clips) on the video app menu as well. Enjoy!

Is this correct? No Vudu on 2011 HDTVs but VUDU on 2011 Blu-ray Players? Thanks.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #549 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM

i haven't had a single update for about a month now...last one was pkg3.407AAA ...and i live in Michigan...even searching for update manually doesnt work. anyone from the east coast have a later version than that??
post #550 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Is this correct? No Vudu on 2011 HDTVs but VUDU on 2011 Blu-ray Players? Thanks.

Hello. I can only confirm the Sony HX820 TV does not yet have Vudu, the PS3 does have VuDu, and the Sony BDP-S780 Bluray player also has Vudu service. I don't know about the other devices in the Sony line up.

LB
post #551 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i haven't had a single update for about a month now...last one was pkg3.407AAA ...and i live in Michigan...even searching for update manually doesnt work. anyone from the east coast have a later version than that??

You are a few updates behind. If you want the latest updates ( we don't know the details of the last few updates yet) then you should be able to perform a manual update via your home menu while connected to the Internet. Also check to see if you have auto update on too. Today's update is version PKG3.507AAA

On the Settings menu select Product Support, then Software Update. You can also set Auto Software update on the same Product Support menu.

LB
post #552 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM

I live in Florida and have received all updates. My dad who in Michigan got the same update this morning.
post #553 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 11:20 AM

hmm..like i said i tried doing it manually...as in going to the product support menu and stuff...it keeps saying there are no updates available :S will have to call sony i guess
post #554 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hmm..like i said i tried doing it manually...as in going to the product support menu and stuff...it keeps saying there are no updates available :S will have to call sony i guess

Interesting. I am on the East Coast and got the update this morning I don't know how Sony organizes their regions for roll-out purposes. Would be interesting to know what Sony tells you.

LB
post #555 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

I'd try the service menu white level adjustment, but I'm afraid it'll mess something up and not change anything for the better. How was your experience with it?

*Update* I just did the service menu white level adjustment. Not sure how I feel about it. I changed it to 04 and it lessened the effect of the crease. I tried 07 and it eliminated it completely, but appeared to have increased flashlighting around the edges. What was the factory default?

FINALY some good results!! Factory is about 02-06 different for every tv. Actualy just find your ideal setting that eliminates crease/shadow and has a good effect on the picture aswell, then watch the tv for a couple hours 6+ as the processor aclamates to the new parameters (remember X-Reality/ Pro is a smart processor).
PS: Check for crease when out of SM not on WHITE level setting.

FACTORY RESET:

Go into SM PRESS:
1, 2, 1, 1 (FACTORY SETTING), 0, ENTER( 1-SHIPMENT SETTING FOLLOW PROMPT), ENTER.

THEN SAVE/WRITE.
TURN TV OFF (IT SHOULD RESET START IN FACTORY SHIPPING MODE)

pics from DROID INCREDIBLE commercial skin tones res 720p after new update NO CREASE old panel after WHITE level settings. Dont know if i still want the exchange panel coming this week.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #556 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 05:22 PM

ok so i checked again just 5 mins ago and it finally was able to find the update...pkg3.507AAA
post #557 of 2587 Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM

That problem with tv restarting happened again. But this time it happened just once. I have noticed the power light does not turn off while it is restarting...the light is always green..the screen became black with no sound...and suddenly the sony sign came up and it was back on. This time it restarted just once (instead of 3 to 4 times). it is connected to a surge protector which makes me wonder if it really is a power surge problem. right after it happened i went to check the log...and found the look of that log has changed after the latest update and instead of saying 05 by that "host" thing it says 10 now even though the tv restarted just once.

i hope its not any internal problem with the this model of tvs since a couple of us here have had the same problems. BTW anyone know anything about the hx929 users facing this kind of problems?
post #558 of 2587 Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:

That problem with tv restarting happened again. But this time it happened just once. I have noticed the power light does not turn off while it is restarting...the light is always green..the screen became black with no sound...and suddenly the sony sign came up and it was back on. This time it restarted just once (instead of 3 to 4 times). it is connected to a surge protector which makes me wonder if it really is a power surge problem. right after it happened i went to check the log...and found the look of that log has changed after the latest update and instead of saying 05 by that "host" thing it says 10 now even though the tv restarted just once.

i hope its not any internal problem with the this model of tvs since a couple of us here have had the same problems. BTW anyone know anything about the hx929 users facing this kind of problems?

Have you tried getting rid of wireless? My 55NX810 did this, once I wired the internet (which I did for streaming quality) the problem went away and never came back.

Site: Sony KDL-55HX820 | Sony KDL-55NX810 | Sony KDL-40XBR
Sound: Onkyo TX-SR608 | Energy Take Classic 7.2 w/ M8 SW
Input: Playstation 3 Slim 320gb | Xbox 360 S 250gb | Roku XDS | Samsung BD-C6800
post #559 of 2587 Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

If your power cord is removable, make sure it's plugged in firmly into the TV. That solved a similar problem for me 3 years ago.
post #560 of 2587 Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...3#post21021673

someone in nx720 thread just posted the EXACT same issue. So there is a chance this might be a problem with this year's models..hmm
post #561 of 2587 Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquayonex View Post

Have you tried getting rid of wireless? My 55NX810 did this, once I wired the internet (which I did for streaming quality) the problem went away and never came back.

hmmm...i really dont want to do that the router is in the other end of the room...and there are already enough wires going to the tv. but lets see, i might try doing that if this happens again later
post #562 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 12:12 PM

I have a Apr 2011 build date for my 55HX820 with no creases, no flashlighting, and no light bleeding. I guess I lucked out.
post #563 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:

wow..so it was a power surge problem for me then i guess. i think i should finally get those surge protectors

I used to be an electronics technician. There is nothing that will stop a power surge, or especially a lightning strike. A lot of these products on the market that purport to protect your systems have items inside of them that will take a hit once and die, but you will never know it and the next time you're sunk. A lot of times the protective devices dry out in time and become useless. There was an idiot tree surgeon here the other day who I tried to talk into removing a tree branch on which was laying a TV cable coming in from the road, because it was a probable route for strikes. He said, doesn't the cable on the pole have a surge protector? I couldn't stop laughing. I give up, I just unplug now when storms come close. We are rather super-aware of the weather here in South Mississippi anyway... --Kathy
post #564 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post

Have always found Sony support terrific! Surprised you did not call when you encountered the on-off issue. Glad is was resolved.

I have been buying Sony products for a very long time - starting when I could first afford them, maybe 30 years ago. It used to be it would cost to call them, and/or long wait times. I did not know it changed. Also, I gave up on buying Sony until this buy, because I became aware that they no longer make custom parts, just off-the-shelf parts like all other electronics manufacturers. They no longer have a reason to charge more.
post #565 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:

You're starting with the TV off right? I know a lot of people who have their TV on and try to do it and it won't work.

If the TV is off when you start and this still isn't working, you must be pressing the buttons out of order. This is the standard diagnostic screen on all Sony's built in the last few years.

Make sure the remote is in TV mode, not your cable box or something else. Press TV to make sure before you start this.

With the TV Off, begin.
Display.
Channel #5
Down on the VOLUME button
Power TV on (not the other power button on the remote)

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I could not get to the diagnostic screen at the time because the TV would not stay on long enough to get to the HOME menu. I could probably get to the diagnostic screen now, but everything's OK now. I wonder if the error that occurred would be listed? Hmm. Thanks. -- Kathy
post #566 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:

You're starting with the TV off right? I know a lot of people who have their TV on and try to do it and it won't work.

If the TV is off when you start and this still isn't working, you must be pressing the buttons out of order. This is the standard diagnostic screen on all Sony's built in the last few years.

Make sure the remote is in TV mode, not your cable box or something else. Press TV to make sure before you start this.

With the TV Off, begin.
Display.
Channel #5
Down on the VOLUME button
Power TV on (not the other power button on the remote)

Oh yes, off. Nothing worked at the time, but thanks. The TV was going insane. We share information. -- Kathy
post #567 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1281 View Post

First I want to thank you so much for posting this. Today my tv was acting the same way you described. I started freaking out till I remember reading your post. I did what you instructed but had some problem getting the tv to reset itself. I wasnt clear whether you push and hold both the up arrow and center button at the same time or pushing one button after the other. I was finally able to get it to reset which I believe was holding both the center button and up arrow at the same time then while holding both buttons down turn off the tv using the side power button. Not sure if this is how the Sony tech explained it to you but was definitely tricky.

Second, how stupid is this? Why doesnt this expensive tv reset itself? How about having a hard reset button on the tv? What if someone lost or misplaced their remote? Pulling the cord from the outlet usually resets almost every electronic device...not this one. Stupid! Then having to re enter everything, date, time,location, and wifi info really pi$$ed me off. I guess this is what we have to live with, with all the fancy features built into this tv. Makes me miss the old Sony tube tv that just works.

Thanks also to you, Ace1281. I was really glad the Sony tech was there to walk me through it, it took me SEVERAL tries to get it to reset...and getting the WIFI to reconnect was a nightmare. I was somewhat hysterical, seeing flying $$$. I have wanted a flat screen for a long time, but held off because of price and technical issues. But I wanted one before I kick off...I had to talk to my internet provider and rename my network before it would connect...a mess. But actually, I am glad that the set had a device which handled a "surge" or whatever it was - but it was very odd that absolutely nothing else was affected. Nothing. And the Sony was at the end of the line, on a "surge protector" along with everything else. Hmm. It must be VERY sensitive. In my long history with electronics I seem to remember having come across something else like this once before. I have still not been able to get Aquayonex's diagnostic screen to come up. I'm probably doing something wrong. Probably have to hold things down at the same time. Spin around 3 times and bow to the east. We old electronic techs used to want to hit things with a hammer, drop the malfunctioning device on the work bench just once, that sort of thing. Has anyone here ever read "Accidental Empires", by Robert Cringely? Some great stories there.
post #568 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankster506 View Post

I suggest using a line conditioner. Not only do they act as surge protectors, they also remove electrical noise for your a/v components for improved picture and audio quality. I am currently using the Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF60 for my living room setup. I am also using their lower model PF30 for the bedroom.

Ah, line conditioners. I'd pretty much forgotten about them. Good idea. We used to use them a lot with our top-end systems that we would build for the Navy, for ships, subs, and planes. They were VERY expensive, heavy monsters, but that was what our engineers specified. We were cutting edge, the best. I would search according to specs and choose. I wouldn't buy a surge protector...not worth the money. See my other comments? -- Kathy
post #569 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Picked up the 55" version yesterday. So far, after trying a variety of recommended settings, I'm not impressed. Besides creases on both sides, which don't bother me, the display is crushing whites but is overall pretty dim. I'm coming from Samsung's 56" flagship 2007 dlp, which I'd actually still put up against any top line lcd for color accuracy.

I watch a good amount of sports so today was a good day to test this unit for what it would be used most. After checking out college football on multiple stations, mlb, and ufc, I couldn't find one event that I felt had accurate lighting - all dim and sort of washed out. Except for teams with white uniforms, those things were so bright they had glare spots and names on backs of jerseys were washed out. I have directv and use a line conditioner

I'll give it a few more days and tweaks before making a final decision. Not sure if anyone here experienced anything similar.
post #570 of 2587 Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 PM

I have 46hx820 with a sony blue ray bdp s580 the blue ray gets vudu but i can't stream 3d movies from vudu. Any one else have this problem?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page