Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,
could someone please tell me how is the input lag with game mode disabled? do you feel the lag for fps shooters or soccer games. many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM

to get inky black I had to set i had to dial down the "brightness" setting quite a bit. I watched THOR last night with back light set to 10 and Brightness set to 20 or so. Left all other settings to default cinema 1. The only thing I noticed was that when you pause in a completely black screen and you get that small pause sign OR while PS3 is loading and you get that round circle on the top right , that causes blooming (correct term?). This is where I guess this is due to the TV not being a full array back lit.
post #633 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87 View Post

Hi everyone,
could someone please tell me how is the input lag with game mode disabled? do you feel the lag for fps shooters or soccer games. many thanks.

I set my Scene mode to Auto and it seems to speed up the input lag when I switch to my PS3 (though it takes a few minutes). I set it on Auto because both my blu-ray player and PS3 are coming in through the same HDMI input via the receiver.
post #634 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

problem with this review was the settings they posted...with backlight 10 and i believe led dynamic control off! that's what made most of the people here question their opinion

Agreed. I am a fan of Dynamic LED Control on this TV. However, they did say their suggested settings were for a Dark room--hence the high back-light setting and like I wrote, so far I haven't seen any other professional calibration settings published anywhere else. I tend to keep my back light at the 7-8 level dependent upon 2D or 3D. Sometimes I crank it up to 10 for certain 3D content. However, I have been forbidden to make any more adjustments while viewing with my family and friends--something about enough already !

What I do agree with the team at Televisioninfo.com is this TV doesn't need a lot of adjustments. I know some people are focused on eliminating certain flaws on their panels and end up making a lot of adjustments--but I also wonder what that does to the overall PQ when viewing content. No matter, to each his own and I frankly enjoy hearing different perspectives on what people think looks good on this TV.

I do wish though that some of the other reviewers would have taken on the HX820 so we could have compared multiple professional reviews like some of the other TVs that came out this year. Oh well, I guess we are all stuck with an excellent TV that nobody knows about...

LB
post #635 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardes3 View Post

to get inky black I had to set i had to dial down the "brightness" setting quite a bit. I watched THOR last night with back light set to 10 and Brightness set to 20 or so. Left all other settings to default cinema 1. The only thing I noticed was that when you pause in a completely black screen and you get that small pause sign OR while PS3 is loading and you get that round circle on the top right , that causes blooming (correct term?). This is where I guess this is due to the TV not being a full array back lit.

Why would you set the backlight to 10? smh. I guarantee blacks are heavily crushed when turning down the brightness that much.
post #636 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87 View Post

Hi everyone,

I prefer to keep it on gaming mode and really don't notice any change in image quality in comparison to the other modes. I notice a substantial amount lag otherwise.
post #637 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post

Don't forget to set the LED Dynamic Control under the Advanced Menu to standard and watch what happens to your black levels. Turning down the backlight and black level (brightness) helps as well.

Last week (Wed. - see below) I posted a problem I was having and got no feedback as to whether anyone else noticed this:

Can anybody hazard a guess? It would be nice to have someone respond.

I have noticed this phenomenon on mine at the beginning. But I could swear it seams to deminish with watching though. i'm having my panel switched out tommorrow anyway hope its a good one.
post #638 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

I prefer to keep it on gaming mode and really don't notice any change in image quality in comparison to the other modes. I notice a substantial amount lag otherwise.

thanks steve
post #639 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 PM

Got the Disney WoW bluray today, gonna adjust settings using that and see what results I get.
post #640 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 02:40 PM
yel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1281 View Post

I have to agree replace is better than repair. But who to say the replacement wont have the same issues. If I had the choice I would ask for a replacement then if the replacement has the same issue I then ask for repair. Either way keeps us inform, I like to know my options too.

Update: Sony sent out an authorized dealer "Easy-way electronics". They said its a panel problem and will replace it. After a week(today) they came back with the TV and a quick look at it made the worst nightmare come true - the corning glass appeared slightly peeled through the top on both sides and all around the glass I could see etching....as if they use some kind of a sharp tool and try to push it inside. I refused to keep it and they took it back....now will have to wait for their response.

On call with Sony support for a resolution on this.....
post #641 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Will be delivered in couple of days... can someone post best settings for movies and games...
post #642 of 2586 Old 10-06-2011, 03:17 PM

I am so happy with my purchase (TV+Blue Ray Player @$1399 in Fry's). The PQ looks better than Samsung. Anyone can recommend a sound system (better wireless) at reasonable price? Thanks.
post #643 of 2586 Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricken_us View Post

I am so happy with my purchase (TV+Blue Ray Player @$1399 in Fry's). The PQ looks better than Samsung. Anyone can recommend a sound system (better wireless) at reasonable price? Thanks.

Congratulations on your new TV and Blu-ray!

I hooked up a Sony HTCT550W Sound Bar (about $300) to my HX820. The Sub Woofer is wireless. Both sound bar and S/W are pretty powerful with lots of technology to handle all the major surround sound codecs e.g., Dolby Digital, DTS etc. See the two photos I posted earlier in this forum.

LB
post #644 of 2586 Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Fry's electronics is offering a great bundle that i just picked up last night...The bundle includes the Sony Bravia HX820 55" TV, a sony blu-ray player, and the 3-d starter kit (includes narnia 3D movie adn 2 pair of 3D glasses) all for $1399

I was not reallly even ready to buy right now, but, the deal was too good to pass up...

Better get there quick if you want one though ... I had to take the floor display as the last one in a box sold 5 minutes before I got there...

TV is all set-up and works great...Built in internet wifi capability works but I needed to manually configure and input my ISP's DNS servers to get it to work (that part sucked as I spent 3 hours trying to figure that out)
post #645 of 2586 Old 10-07-2011, 05:18 PM

I got mine, it is April build and has the damn crease........
post #646 of 2586 Old 10-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardes3 View Post

I got mine, it is April build and has the damn crease........

I had with an April build date and just got a replacement built in June; both had the creases on the left and right. I was able to pretty much eliminate the crease altogether by setting the white point from the service menu.
post #647 of 2586 Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yel View Post

Update: Sony sent out an authorized dealer "Easy-way electronics". They said its a panel problem and will replace it. After a week(today) they came back with the TV and a quick look at it made the worst nightmare come true - the corning glass appeared slightly peeled through the top on both sides and all around the glass I could see etching....as if they use some kind of a sharp tool and try to push it inside. I refused to keep it and they took it back....now will have to wait for their response.

That sucks! Maybe you can ask for a new set for your troubles.
post #648 of 2586 Old 10-08-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yel View Post

You should contact the Sony Listens department (SonyListens@am.sony.com) or look up Sarah Kepler on Facebook.
post #649 of 2586 Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjustus View Post

Fry's electronics is offering a great bundle that i just picked up last night...The bundle includes the Sony Bravia HX820 55" TV, a sony blu-ray player, and the 3-d starter kit (includes narnia 3D movie adn 2 pair of 3D glasses) all for $1399

I was not reallly even ready to buy right now, but, the deal was too good to pass up...

Better get there quick if you want one though ... I had to take the floor display as the last one in a box sold 5 minutes before I got there...

TV is all set-up and works great...Built in internet wifi capability works but I needed to manually configure and input my ISP's DNS servers to get it to work (that part sucked as I spent 3 hours trying to figure that out)

I've searched their site and can't find that deal anywhere. Dang! Must not be online!
post #650 of 2586 Old 10-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:

I highly suggest picking this up...

http://www.radtech.us/Products/OmniCleanz.aspx

Use the promo code "AUG2011" to save 20%.

I've used this religiously on all of my LCD devices and even high-end camera lenses. It comes with the polishing cloth. I purchased a single 4oz bottle just over six years ago and still have over half left.

Thanks, @Stevedensmore and @leventcur; I shall try both products. I see Stoners Glass Cleaner is available at the local Walgreens, and I have ordered the OmniCleanz over the web. I have noted the comments on micro-clean fiber cloths vs. polishing cloths...hmm. Onward and upward...geez, good thing I don't fiddle with the black levels et al much. I would just like to know now how I find out the build date on my HX820. Is it simple?
-- Kathy
post #651 of 2586 Old 10-08-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keinwich View Post

Thanks, @Stevedensmore and @leventcur; I shall try both products. I see Stoners Glass Cleaner is available at the local Walgreens, and I have ordered the OmniCleanz over the web. I have noted the comments on micro-clean fiber cloths vs. polishing cloths...hmm. Onward and upward...geez, good thing I don't fiddle with the black levels et al much. I would just like to know now how I find out the build date on my HX820. Is it simple?
-- Kathy

Kathy check the label on the back of your TV ( where the serial number is listed) This will state made in .... as well as the date on the right side of the label. Facing the TV panel the label is on the lower right side.

Mine was Made in Mexico, April 2011

LB
post #652 of 2586 Old 10-08-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you looking for more free 3D content, check your 3D Sony Experience App on the HX820. Sony has loaded a few more 3D movie clips/trailers to include several from the latest Harry Potter film.

LB
post #653 of 2586 Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:

You should contact the Sony Listens department (SonyListens@am.sony.com) or look up Sarah Kepler on Facebook.

For those with issues about the peeling of the corning glass, it is actualy NOT glued to the front bezel as previously thought. It is actualy held by screws on the bezel and of the TFT panel inside the tv and detaches itsef after the screws are removed. So if you think it is peeling it is just not screwed properly inside. NO glue what so ever and you cant peel it out without breaking the inside screw stems and consequently damaging the LCD panel. Fix is to just tighten the screws inside after removing back panel. The glass is very strong but flexes enough to deflect a projectile but will break the TFT panel in the process, NX810 glass does not flex but will shatter when hit by a solid projectile.

NB: New replacement panel came with worse crease decided to keep old panel with white point crease fix i had done earlier.
post #654 of 2586 Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 PM

My TV is on standard stand and external audio system center speaker is in front of it. the problem is, center speaker covers 3d/IR and camera used to detect people.

Anyone can recommend Audio system with thin center speaker that do not obstruct camera/sensors?
post #655 of 2586 Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

For those with issues about the peeling of the corning glass, it is actualy NOT glued to the front bezel as previously thought. It is actualy held by screws on the bezel and of the TFT panel inside the tv and detaches itsef after the screws are removed. So if you think it is peeling it is just not screwed properly inside. NO glue what so ever and you cant peel it out without breaking the inside screw stems and consequently damaging the LCD panel. Fix is to just tighten the screws inside after removing back panel. The glass is very strong but flexes enough to deflect a projectile but will break the TFT panel in the process, NX810 glass does not flex but will shatter when hit by a solid projectile.

NB: New replacement panel came with worse crease decided to keep old panel with white point crease fix i had done earlier.

This isn't try. It is still adhered to the front bezel frame. My brand new set had a bubble where it appeared to be delaminating right out of the box. I simply pressed on the spot and it went away.
post #656 of 2586 Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Need help, have the TV scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

What is the easiest way to find whether TV has crease issue or not, when guys are there delivering it?
post #657 of 2586 Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Troyhouse, if your delivery is going to be anything like mine they'll unpack some of it, plug it in, and leave. I would simply read the MFG date on the back of the TV (you want June or better), and if it's earlier give the panel a quick glance with the power OFF, looking at it from a few angles.
post #658 of 2586 Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM

How is the off angle viewing and 3D performace of the 820?
post #659 of 2586 Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:

This isn't try. It is still adhered to the front bezel frame. My brand new set had a bubble where it appeared to be delaminating right out of the box. I simply pressed on the spot and it went away.

@ stevedensmore-The reason I know the glass is not glued to the bezel is because my panel was dissasembled right in my living room floor to swap the old panel (if you look at second image to the right edge is the bezel and it is screwed to the metal chassis that is screwed to the TFT panel that is attached to the gorilla glass). The replacement panel comes as one attachment, the gorila glass attached to the TFT panel and to the internal aluminum board chassis. No bezel. No glue just screws where attached to reuse on my old bezel, if you can find a very thin plastic or paper and wedge it between the glass and bezel it will slide all the way around the tv.
Something interesting though the video board literaly has one chip written ofcourse X-Reality and thats it unlike the picture with two chips no other major electrical components on the board. The other chip XCA7 is probably inside the lcd controller board.
LL
LL
post #660 of 2586 Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

The reason I know the glass is not glued to the bezel is because my panel was dissasembled right in my living room floor to swap the old panel. The replacement panel comes as one attachment, the gorila glass attached to the TFT panel and to the internal aluminum board chassis. No bezel. No glue just screws where attached to reuse on my old bezel, if you can find a very thin plastic or paper and wedge it between the glass and bezel it will slide all the way around the tv.
Something interesting though the video board literaly has one chip written ofcourse X-Reality and thats it unlike the picture with two chips no other electrical components on the board. The other chip XCA7 is probably inside the lcd controller board.

I'm just saying, the glass has to be adhered to the black bezel somehow. Mine bubbled where the adhesive was separating and I just pressed it back together.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page