post #811 of 2584 Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post

Thanks, I was able to make it work with wifi without entering pin and stuff. I just had to restart my ipad and it started working fine, and I was able to stream phots, cnbc and other stuff.

But, when I tried to connect again, it stopped working and it unstable for sure. Nonetheless, Its a good app without buying AppleTV or other boxes to stream photos.

Good to hear! Yep this app is pretty capable when it works--normally a reboot seems to help. I can also use this app to stream the same to my other wifi enabled TV and music to my Receiver as well.

However, the AppleTV device ($99) is really very good when it comes to streaming iOS Pics, Music, Video and Urls to your HX820. The streaming video apps on the AppleTV device doesn't really offer much more than what you already get on the HX820--but it does offer very good connectivity to your iPad/iPhone with airplay.

Also if you have pics,video, music on a PC/Win Laptop you can use the DNLA streaming service as well--I found the DNLA service between PC/HX820 to be very stable with excellent PQ--but it does struggle with iPhone/iPad video formats

LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2584 Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

Yea steve we need those pictures. On the contrary i tried what you said above and could not dicern any major differences in shadow detail from my settings and what the added brightness did other than washout my already inky blacks. Just try them. i will post some pictures too how about that. (Uploaded from a cell phone, need to invest on a real camera).

Jamtuff: Thank you for the photos. It certainly helps when there is a video/picture reference rather than just written statements.

LB
post #813 of 2584 Old 10-24-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love a critic. Please try my settings step by step then let me know especialy with I AM LEGEND. The KURO2 clipped a little too crushing is what i tried to avoid and my shadow detail and blacks are incredible. Try it then let me know.

MY NEW PIC SETTINGS:-
SET WHITE POINT-05

Picture mode.......SPORTS
Backlight........6
Picture.........87
Brightness.....41
Color............60-67 (or whatever you prefer)
Hue.............R4,MID 0
Color Temp..Warm 1 or warm 2
Sharpness....50
Noise Reduction...Low
MPEG.................Low
Dot Noise...........Auto
Reality Creation...Auto
Smooth Grad.......Low
Motionflow.........STANDARD
Cinemotion......... Auto 1
Black Corrector....HIGH
Adv. Contrast......HIGH
Gamma..............-1 (set to 0 if clipping)
LED Dyn Cntrl......Standard
Auto light Limiter...MEDIUM
Clear White........OFF
Live Color...........MEDIUM
White Balance......R-Gain 0
.........................G-Gain 0
.........................B-Gain 0
.........................R-Bias 0
.........................G-Bias 0
.........................B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer....OFF
Edge Enhancer.....OFF
Skin Neutralizer....OFF
I/P Conversion.....OFF
Ambient Sensor....On
HDMI Dynamic Range...Auto
SBM....................OFF

Eco-OFF
PIC MODE-SPORTS
WHITE POINT-05

Jamtuff: How, where do you set WHITE POINT-05 on the menu?

LB
post #814 of 2584 Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10
^ I'm not the least bit surprised. This is EXACTLY what I suspected would happen with his settings.
post #815 of 2584 Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Jamtuff: How, where do you set WHITE POINT-05 on the menu?

in the SM i posted how to do that on my earlier threads. pm if you are having difficulties
post #816 of 2584 Old 10-24-2011, 02:20 PM

anyone here have success in having sony replace the creased set with a new one versus sending out a baboon from a local tv shop to replace the panel?
post #817 of 2584 Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM

What is so secret WHITE POINT? why cant the process to set its value cant be posted here....
post #818 of 2584 Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post

What is so secret WHITE POINT? why cant the process to set its value cant be posted here....

it has been posted before...go back a few pages, u should see it.

but i agree with you. i dont see why it is necessary to help through pms when you can do it here openly so that other people might see it too.
post #819 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MY NEW PIC SETTINGS:-

Picture mode.......SPORTS
Backlight........6
Picture.........87
Brightness.....41
Color............60-67 (or whatever you prefer)
Hue.............R4,MID 0
Color Temp..Warm 1 or warm 2
Sharpness....50
Noise Reduction...Low
MPEG.................Low
Dot Noise...........Auto
Reality Creation...Auto
Smooth Grad.......Low
Motionflow.........STANDARD
Cinemotion......... Auto 1
Black Corrector....HIGH
Adv. Contrast......HIGH
Gamma..............-1 (set to 0 if clipping)
LED Dyn Cntrl......Standard
Auto light Limiter...MEDIUM
Clear White........OFF
Live Color...........MEDIUM
White Balance......R-Gain 0
.........................G-Gain 0
.........................B-Gain 0
.........................R-Bias 0
.........................G-Bias 0
.........................B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer....OFF
Edge Enhancer.....OFF
Skin Neutralizer....OFF
I/P Conversion.....OFF
Ambient Sensor....On
HDMI Dynamic Range...Auto
SBM....................OFF

Eco-OFF
PIC MODE-SPORTS
WHITE POINT-05

I GET SUPER INCREDIBLE BLACKS NO CRUSH WITH LOTS SHADOW DETAIL

Here are the results of using Jamtuff's settings recommendations I applied on my HX820 to obtain really deep blacks on the HX820. Couple of notes:

1. I did not go into the Service Menu and change White Points to -05 as suggested. Maybe I will try that another time.
2. Hopefully you will see from the posted photos the difference in blacks--they really get much blacker-( so black that I lost some detail on the black images)--this may have been a result of not setting White Point to -05 in the Service Menu
3. Even with the crushed blacks I rather liked the look these settings delivered. Let me know what you think.

Content used:
1. 13 Assassins streamed from Netflix at 720p or 1080i
2. I am Legend Bluray 1080p/24p

First image = Default Cinema mode
Second image = Jamtuff's settings ( minus the Service Menu adjustment)

LB
post #820 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Troyhouse there are two ways to use the iMediaShare app to connect your iPad to the HX820:

1. Connect your iPad to the TV via the wireless network ( the easiest)
2. Connect your iPad to the TV with the Wi-Fi- Direct ( similar to a bluetooth connection)

From the steps you posted you chose to use the Wi-Fi direct method. From what I can tell by what you posted you should be okay. Couple of comments/question:

1. When you confirmed the iMediaShare app on your iPad was connected to the TV did you see the HX820 listed on the iMediaShare "Play On" screen. ( the "Play On" screen appears after you select the photo you want to stream).
2. I've noticed the iMediaShare app can take some time to buffer the content you want to stream--sometimes up to 60-90 seconds. Note: If you exit the Wi-Fi Direct menu on the Hx820 you will lose the W-Fi Direct connection.
3. Try to connect via your wireless network instead of Wi-Fi Direct--I was able to connect with both methods. ( when you connect wirelessly you'll also see all kinds of other media streaming apps "channels" on the iMediaShare that you can also stream to your TV for free like: showtime ( :-) Dexter, The Borgias, The Tudors) , CNBC, Cnet, Ted etc.
4. I found the iMediaShare app to be unstable--sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't--sometimes when it works it can take up to 60-90 seconds to buffer--other times it connected and streamed right away.

I tried the iMediaShare app over the weekend on my android device. I don't think the device is capable of Wi-Fi direct as I couldn't find anyway to connect via that method.

What the app does do is turn the phone into a media server. Then I can connect to it via the menu screen that has "photos", "music" and "videos". The TV is able to find the phone that way as it is exposed as a server.

Photos seemed to work OK. However, I was able to browse to my MP3s on the phone, but I couldn't get them to play for some reason. I didn't try videos.

So I've concluded that the iMediaShare app is a little buggy on the Android right now.
post #821 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineas View Post

I tried the iMediaShare app over the weekend on my android device. I don't think the device is capable of Wi-Fi direct as I couldn't find anyway to connect via that method.

What the app does do is turn the phone into a media server. Then I can connect to it via the menu screen that has "photos", "music" and "videos". The TV is able to find the phone that way as it is exposed as a server.

Photos seemed to work OK. However, I was able to browse to my MP3s on the phone, but I couldn't get them to play for some reason. I didn't try videos.

So I've concluded that the iMediaShare app is a little buggy on the Android right now.

Phineas: Thanks for letting me know. After a few days it looks like some of us ( as posted in this forum) have been able to get the iMediaShare app to work with both the iPhone/iPad and now your Android device with the HX820. Like you, I think most of us experienced some issues with iMediaShare--its not very stable --but it does stream content from our mobile devices to the HX820 ( and its free ). I was able connect my iPhone via this app both Wi-Fi Direct and Wireless.

LB
post #822 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 AM

i wonder if there are any other apps similar to imediashare in the app store..would be nice to have multiple options
post #823 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

i wonder if there are any other apps similar to imediashare in the app store..would be nice to have multiple options

I did try a few others ( all were free to download) to include AirVideo, Video Stream, PS3 Media Server and others. I found each to have their pluses and minuses--all struggled streaming iPhone/iPad video content. From what I have found so far iMediaShare seems to have handled iPhone/iPad the best of the ones I mentioned. ( I am sure there are others too).

Now if you have a PC/Win laptop then the "DNLA" service on the Hx820 works very well for PC recorded vids,pics, music and the PQ is excellent. Not to mention a breeze to set up.

Ah but for Apple people..there is a device ( a little black box) "that just works"
http://www.apple.com/appletv/

LB
post #824 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Here are the results of using Jamtuff's settings recommendations I applied on my HX820 to obtain really deep blacks on the HX820. Couple of notes:

1. I did not go into the Service Menu and change White Points to -05 as suggested. Maybe I will try that another time.
2. Hopefully you will see from the posted photos the difference in blacks--they really get much blacker-( so black that I lost some detail on the black images)--this may have been a result of not setting White Point to -05 in the Service Menu
3. Even with the crushed blacks I rather liked the look these settings delivered. Let me know what you think.

Content used:

You would hope there would be something inbetween. Lots of crushing black and lost of shadow details on the second pics.
post #825 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Content used:

Good job dude. Nice pictures too NIGHT and DAY difference. Like i said this tv is so capable and people are stuck on SAV and HTM review settings. The KURO2 crushes some detail too just like the HX. Dont forget to set WHITE POINT when you get the time. ALSO HAVE "AMBIENT SENSOR" TURNED ON It helps in the inconsistent room light flactuation giving you those deep blacks wheather you open a window to let some light in or watch in the dark.
WHITE POINT:

ENTER SM:-(Turn TV ON wait a minute or two to warm-up then power OFF. After 5 seconds do the following:-
DISPLAY, 5, VOLUME+, TV POWER.
You are now in the ServiceMenu (Displayed is the hardware ie panel, software etc etc)

THEN PRESS 1
THEN 2
THEN 0 (This takes you into VIDEO adjustments- Default #1 WHITE level)
THEN ENTER
THEN ENTER

ADJUST SETTINGS 0(darkest)-10(whitest) SET TO 05 THEN ENTER. (RETURN takes you back to the previous screen incase you want to enter a different value OTHERWISE PROCEED TO THE STEPS BELOW)
PRESS "JUMP" THEN "MUTING" THEN 0 to SAVE/WRITE your settings.POWER OFF TV then POWER ON
THATS IT (Some of the previously lost shadow detail should now almost magicaly reappear) You can also set Gamma to 0 to further improve shadow detail if you want to, I still have mine set at -1.
ENJOY let us know
post #826 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 01:49 PM

Does the white point setting prevent the crushed blacks? Are these settings only for sports or are you using them for everything?
post #827 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ244 View Post

Does the white point setting prevent the crushed blacks? Are these settings only for sports or are you using them for everything?

Yes it helps on crushed blacks, settings work on all other than just sports.
post #828 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Good job dude. Nice pictures too NIGHT and DAY difference. Like i said this tv is so capable and people are stuck on SAV and HTM review settings. The KURO2 crushes some detail too just like the HX. Dont forget to set WHITE POINT when you get the time. ALSO HAVE "AMBIENT SENSOR" TURNED ON
WHITE POINT:

ENTER SM:-(Turn TV ON wait a minute or two to warm-up then power OFF. After 5 seconds do the following:-
DISPLAY, 5, VOLUME+, TV POWER.
You are now in the ServiceMenu (Displayed is the hardware ie panel, software etc etc)

THEN PRESS 1
THEN 2
THEN 0 (This takes you into VIDEO adjustments- Default #1 WHITE level)
THEN ENTER
THEN ENTER

ADJUST SETTINGS 0(darkest)-10(whitest) SET TO 05 THEN ENTER. (RETURN takes you back to the previous screen incase you want to enter a different value OTHERWISE PROCEED TO THE STEPS BELOW)
PRESS "JUMP" THEN "MUTING" to SAVE/WRITE your settings.POWER OFF TV then POWER ON
THATS IT (Some of the previously lost shadow detail should now almost magicaly reappear) You can also set Gamma to 0 to further improve shadow detail if you want to, I still have mine set at -1.
ENJOY let us know

Why in the world would you have the Ambient Sensor turned "on"? For a TV calibrating expert, you don't seem to know much of what you're talking about. That guys photos showed exactly what I suspected your settings would do and that's clip the shadows excessively.
post #829 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Can you please post your setting to share? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post

I noticed significant clouding on mine and minor flashlighting in the lower corners as well. To help eliminate or should I say "cover up" these problems make sure the LED Dynamic Control under Advanced Settings is set to "Standard." This will make a big difference. Also, set your backlight down lower (if you are ok with this) to 3 or lower. Try and get your black level (brightness) down if possible. Others have mentioned I think the "Black Corrector" under Advanced, I didn't access this as I was successful with the other changes I instituted here. If they don't work for you give this control a shot.

I had a professional video calibrator out to calibrate the set last month and I will post those settings soon. I wonder how others fared in this respect.

post #830 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

Why in the world would you have the Ambient Sensor turned "on"? For a TV calibrating expert, you don't seem to know much of what you're talking about. That guys photos showed exactly what I suspected your settings would do and that's clip the shadows excessively.

And he clearly explained that he has not set the WHITE POINT yet right. What is your problem dude? I know you are not happy with your creased tv, but y the personal negativity-past your 30day return huh...... On earth we have night and day , oh and thats why they turn OFF the lights in movie theaters. Its y tv calibration is usualy done in the dark. Ambient sensor helps in the NIGHT or DAY light control creating a consistant situation OR when you open a window to let light in you still want to get those deep blacks thats all it does period. Turn your mood ambient sensor on dude. Are you not happy that somebody actualy tried these settings and liked them or that some people dont have crease from your earlier complaints, you had the chance to try my settings and post your pictures hey you can still try them. Enjoy
post #831 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes it helps on crushed blacks, settings work on all other than just sports.

Jamtuff. Hello. I am trying to get into the SM with your instructions but so far my TV is not cooperating. Just want to confirm with TV powered off and using the remote:
Display
# 5
Volume +
TV power on
?

LB
post #832 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:

And he clearly explained that he has not set the WHITE POINT yet right. What is your problem dude? I know you are not happy with your creased tv, but y the personal negativity-past your 30day return huh...... On earth we have night and day , oh and thats why they turn OFF the lights in movie theaters. Its y tv calibration is usualy done in the dark. Ambient sensor helps in the NIGHT or DAY light control creating a consistant situation OR when you open a window to let light in you still want to get those deep blacks thats all it does period. Turn your mood ambient sensor on dude. Are you not happy that somebody actualy tried these settings and liked them or that some people dont have crease from your earlier complaints, you had the chance to try my settings and post your pictures hey you can still try them. Enjoy

I've tried your service menu mod and settings. The white point setting has ZERO effect on the creases. Your settings crush blacks, just as I stated they would.
post #833 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Jamtuff. Hello. I am trying to get into the SM with your instructions but so far my TV is not cooperating. Just want to confirm with TV powered off and using the remote:
Display
# 5
Volume +
TV power on
?

Make sure u press the power button on the remote..not the actual tv. And u have to press the buttons pretty quickly. I generally get it right after 3-4 tries
post #834 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardes3 View Post

anyone here have success in having sony replace the creased set with a new one versus sending out a baboon from a local tv shop to replace the panel?

Yes, I did have success a few weeks ago. Heres' what happened. Called Sony support after noticing a slight crease on the screen left-explained the situation & the sony specialist indicated to expect a response within a week or so. Sure enough, received a call from Sony support indicating a replacement 820 would be sent. During this one week time period however, thanks to all on this forum, changed some settings, & all is really Fantastic!
So I rejected the new set & I'm confident many would not agree, but I really Love this original set purchased from my local dealer! Take Care All
post #835 of 2584 Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Display
# 5
Volume +
TV power on
?

Correct and just make sure the tv has been ON for a minute or two, then turn OFF. Enter SM after 5-10 seconds. Remember POWER ON is the top GREEN button not one below it.
@Steve. The KURO2 does crush too in the same oderly fashion... I took it back not because its a bad set but because it cannot match the cost and performance value the HX offers. I mean if you gonna pay $7900 or $6900, the equivalent of 3-4 Sony HX's similar black levels and PQ. STOP!! THINK ABOUT THAT. Get the 65HX instead BUT I dont think that panel comes from sharp so no UV2A, even so before its out I can predict it will match the smaller sony's perfomance in terms of PQ. And if Sony is smart they would have added more zones during the delayed release date that will sure give sharps KURO2 a run for its money .
post #836 of 2584 Old 10-26-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

have my bck light set to 1 too...also try the black corrector under advance settings...that takes care of clouding a lot without losing details

Is the lowest backlight setting 0? (Might sound like a dumb question, but my Sharp 835 can have negative values down to -16)
post #837 of 2584 Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Part 2: Jamtuff's Settings

Okay I was able to get into the SM on the HX820. ( Thanks for everyone's suggestions)

Oddly I had to use the Sony Remote from my LX900 to access the SM on the HX820 as I couldn't get into the SM with the HX remote for some reason ( maybe I need new batteries in the HX remote)

Anyway, to complete Jamtuff's settings recommendations this time I included changing the White Point settings in the Service Menu. In another pic I also went a further step as Jamtuff recommended and also changed the Gama setting to "0" from the original "-1" Let me know if you see a difference from yesterday's photos.

P.S. As Jamtuff suggested I found that when using his settings for the deep blacks--increasing GAMA beyond "1" had the largest effect of bringing back the detail in the blacks .

1. Source = 13 Assassins streamed from Netflix (720p or 1080i) ( I tried to use the same frame used in my previous pics)

Pic #1 = Cinema default mode
Pic #2 = Jamtuff's settings with out White Point set to 05
Pic #3 = Jamtuff's settings with White Point set to 05
Pic #4 = Jamtuff's settings with White Point set to 05 and Gama changed to "0"

LB
post #838 of 2584 Old 10-26-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

stevedensmore:

If I understand correctly from your posts on the HX929 forum you have your new HX929 replacement TV. Since you have had the opportunity to view both the HX820 and the HX929 in your home I am really curious to hear your personal lows/highs comparisons PQ, Settings, etc. of the two sets. Also, I read you have had issues with both TVs--but which TV do you prefer overall despite the defects and why? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

LB
post #839 of 2584 Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 AM

i like the one with the gamma set to 0...

it still loses some details...but i can live with that

maybe u should try to set the black corrector to low or even off...it might improve the details
post #840 of 2584 Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:

stevedensmore:

If I understand correctly from your posts on the HX929 forum you have your new HX929 replacement TV. Since you have had the opportunity to view both the HX820 and the HX929 in your home I am really curious to hear your personal lows/highs comparisons PQ, Settings, etc. of the two sets. Also, I read you have had issues with both TVs--but which TV do you prefer overall despite the defects and why? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I can honestly say that if I had to pay retail, the HX820 would be my choice. The differences in quality are minimal. I actually like the table top stand of the HX820 better, because it was all black and not glossy. I can tell black levels are a bit better on the HX929, but it's marginal and certainly not worth spending hundreds of dollars more. I actually run all of my pictures settings identical to what I had on the HX820 and it looks the same, but maybe just a bit brighter.

I'm hoping the repair shop can replace the panel in this HX929, because it's my last option and Sony is sick of me at this point. Funny, considering it's not my fault they keep sending me defective or damaged televisions.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page