Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2587 Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcman View Post

Not sure if it's ok to discuss prices here.
Was torn in between 60NX720 or 55XBR929. Had doubts if XBR quality was worth compromising extra 5". (65XBR929 was out of my budget). Went to Fry's today with my mind almost made up in favor of 55XBR. But the ridiculous sale that they had for 55HX820 I simply couldn't walk past it. Anybody who's thinking of buying this model go to Fry's. The price you'll find there beats all the web deals. Just wanted to share it with you folks.

They're still running that sale in stores? Sick!! Definitely would've bought it there if they had a location in Florida. Would've had to drive eight hours to Atlanta. The few hundred dollars I would've saved on the tv when compared to how much I paid for it (still got a slammin' deal) would've been spent on gas and then some. Not worth it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2587 Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Ended up getting the hx820 on amazon. They price matched one of their 3rd party merchants so got a good deal. Can anyone tell me what this crease issue is all about and if I should be looking out for this? Or was this fixed in later sets?
post #903 of 2587 Old 10-30-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroar1 View Post

Ended up getting the hx820 on amazon. They price matched one of their 3rd party merchants so got a good deal. Can anyone tell me what this crease issue is all about and if I should be looking out for this? Or was this fixed in later sets?

I've owned my 55HX820 for 12 days now and have finally discovered the infamous crease, but ONLY BECAUSE I saw a pic posted which pointed it out, then I finally realized it was there. Mine is an April 2011 build from Mexico, and personally, I'm not overly concerned about it. It's HARDLY noticeable (a 1/2" diameter), probably due to the fact that I've already optimized my display settings. I have yet to go into service mode, and from the looks of my display, I may not need to. Guess I got a pretty good one. There are many other owners who have an April build that aren't experiencing crease issues and are satisfied with their sets. I'm happy with mine as well. It beats the crap out of my old Hitachi CRT HDTV. I'm unsure if newer sets are experiencing the crease issue.
post #904 of 2587 Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

Make sure the remote is set to TV before entering SM
TO SAVE/WRITE:

PRESS "JUMP"
THEN "MUTING"
THEN "0"
This WRITES/SAVES ALL YOUR SETTINGS IN THE SM (WRITE WILL MOMENTARY TURN RED AS IT SAVES YOUR SETTINGS)
TURN TV OFF
YOUR (SETTINGS ARE SAVED)
YOU CAN NOW TURN IT BACK ON

JAMTUFF,

Thanks for the info! I've eliminated the crease in most scenes when the white level is set to 04. I wish there was a way to know the original factory setting though.

EDIT: Just changed the white to 08 and have noticed an increase in contrast, and the crease is a little more noticeable, but still very faint.
post #905 of 2587 Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse View Post

They're still running that sale in stores? Sick!! Definitely would've bought it there if they had a location in Florida. Would've had to drive eight hours to Atlanta. The few hundred dollars I would've saved on the tv when compared to how much I paid for it (still got a slammin' deal) would've been spent on gas and then some. Not worth it for me.

Stopped by the store today, the price was back up to "normal". Looks like it was a one day sale. Never seen this happen before except for Black Fridays, etc.
post #906 of 2587 Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM

Hello everyone,
Wealth of information on here, thanks to all.

My HX820 will be delivered today and I am wondering about the best way to connect everything. I have the Sony BDPS580 Bluray and Denon AVR1611 receiver with the HDMI 4.1 cables and my wall mount.

My current connection has everything run through the receiver, which does support 3D. I have the Google box for internet but probably will use the TV or the Bluray- which one should I use? I can easily do a wired internet or wireless, perhaps doing one for the TV and the other on the Bluray? Any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks
Bruce
post #907 of 2587 Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceGunning View Post

Hello everyone,
Wealth of information on here, thanks to all.

My HX820 will be delivered today and I am wondering about the best way to connect everything. I have the Sony BDPS580 Bluray and Denon AVR1611 receiver with the HDMI 4.1 cables and my wall mount.

My current connection has everything run through the receiver, which does support 3D. I have the Google box for internet but probably will use the TV or the Bluray- which one should I use? I can easily do a wired internet or wireless, perhaps doing one for the TV and the other on the Bluray? Any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks
Bruce

Congratulations on your new TV! Likewise I think you will get a lot of good advice from many on this forum.

Sounds like you are all set particularly using 1.4 HDMI cables --make sure you utilize the ARC ( Audio Return Channel) HDMI input #1 on the TV which is the main benefit of 1.4 HDMI cable and I would continue to run everything through your Receiver like you are doing now.

Yes, there is a lot of overlap with streaming services on the HX820/BDP-580/ and the GoogleTV/Logitech revue but there are a few differences here and there --so if you can you may want to keep all the components connected to the internet--at a minimum for automatic updating. Also you will find the HX820 web browser is soooo slow I personally thinks its useless--the GoogleTV/Chrome browser is MUCH better--so if that is important to you then keep the GoogleTV connected. ( Not to mention the new GoogleTV refresh/update is coming out this week or next.) Also, the Vudu service on the BDP-580 IMO is the best video stream app ( Vudu is not included with the HX820)

As far as wireless vs Ethernet--In most cases I recommend Ethernet connections particularly for streaming HD video content. If you have access to an Ethernet cable to your system then maybe purchase an inexpensive network switch so you can connect all your components via Ethernet. I however do have my HX820 setup right next to the wireless router in the same room and have an internet plan with plenty of bandwidth so I have everything set up wirelessly and am happy with the streaming performance on all the devices. ( Likewise if you have a strong wireless signal and good bandwidth could just as easliy set up some of the components wireless and one with the Ethernet cable maybe using the Ethernet cable connected to the device you will use to stream most often)

LB
post #908 of 2587 Old 11-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCuse View Post

JAMTUFF,

Thanks for the info! I've eliminated the crease in most scenes when the white level is set to 04. I wish there was a way to know the original factory setting though.

EDIT: Just changed the white to 08 and have noticed an increase in contrast, and the crease is a little more noticeable, but still very faint.

Thats watsup. Glad I could help dude...
post #909 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Liked: 11
So

Almost two weeks with a broken tv and nothing else happened. After being told The repair company will receive the part on Monday...which later changed to Tuesday and now they r saying they have noooo freakin idea when they will receive the replacement part. Apparently the part is back-ordered...LOL

So I contact sony's customer dept ...they heard everything and said they will transfer my case to another group and they will contact me in 2 business days from today...wow...what a service!!!

Anyway I ended up emailing to that address LBJ provided and lets hope atleast they r quick enough to reply and provide a better customer service. If not I just dunno WTF I can do more.
post #910 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM

And they emailed be back giving me a number and told me to talk to them. Guess what? its the usual customer service number.

Anyone here knows of a better idea?

I have a huge party this weekend and i was really hoping to get this TV repaired before that.
post #911 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

And they emailed be back giving me a number and told me to talk to them. Guess what? its the usual customer service number.

Anyone here knows of a better idea?

I have a huge party this weekend and i was really hoping to get this TV repaired before that.

Isrararrafi: I would definitively call them back. If they can't order the replacement part any time soon ask them if would ship you a new TV.

Another thought..where did you buy this TV? Amazon by any chance? If you bought from Amazon you might try calling them too--they might just replace the TV for you.

LB
post #912 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 PM

^^ i tried with amazon...they said they can't do anything since its been more than 30 days

i will call sony back again in the afternoon, hopefully talk to a superior or something and see if things change.
post #913 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

From what I've heard the HX820 should have very little problems with backlight bleed. But just how good is it? Are you for example able to watch a 1:2.35 aspect ratio movie with black bars at top & bottom in a completely dark room without any backlight bleed visible at all in the corners? Or is there at least some backlight bleed, even though it's not that disturbing?

Anyone? I'm just trying to find out what can be expected of the HX820. I.e. should one expect to get a set without any backlight bleed at all in the corners? So if you get one with such a defect it's a good idea to return it and buy a new one since you're then likely to get a new set without that defect?
post #914 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM

ok, i talked to amazon customer service dept again. the woman said they can't do much because 30 days have expired but was nice enough to refund 30 bucks from my next purchase even though they did not have to do that. and then she contacted sony herself...got someone who is actually helpful on line and connected me with him.

the guy offered me a completely new TV (not refurbished) same model of course with no shipping charges or anything. i accepted the offer and they are just waiting on me to send them the proof of purchase through fax (i am guessing amazon invoice page should be enough). after they receive that they will initiate the shipping.

now lets hope there wont be any new problems along the way and the new tv is a newer built without any crease or clouding issues. Thank god for this forum where i know exactly what picture setting i had with the older one.
post #915 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok, i talked to amazon customer service dept again. the woman said they can't do much because 30 days have expired but was nice enough to refund 30 bucks from my next purchase even though they did not have to do that. and then she contacted sony herself...got someone who is actually helpful on line and connected me with him.

the guy offered me a completely new TV (not refurbished) same model of course with no shipping charges or anything. i accepted the offer and they are just waiting on me to send them the proof of purchase through fax (i am guessing amazon invoice page should be enough). after they receive that they will initiate the shipping.

now lets hope there wont be any new problems along the way and the new tv is a newer built without any crease or clouding issues. Thank god for this forum where i know exactly what picture setting i had with the older one.

Fantastic!

LB
post #916 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 PM
yel

Quote:

Good going! ....I went through similar grind and Sony did finally replace the TV early this month. Should say....solutions provided on this forum did work. Thanks to all

Btw, Though Sony did confirm over email that the one they sent is a new one (sticker says Oct 2011 build)... is there any other way to find out if its a new/refurbished one? Or am I being too doubtful )
post #917 of 2587 Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yel View Post

Good going! ....I went through similar grind and Sony did finally replace the TV early this month. Should say....solutions provided on this forum did work. Thanks to all

Btw, Though Sony did confirm over email that the one they sent is a new one (sticker says Oct 2011 build)... is there any other way to find out if its a new/refurbished one? Or am I being too doubtful )

Lol...they wouldn't lie about these stuffs or mislabel products regarding build dates. Too much is at stake here including getting sued by their customers.
post #918 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yel View Post

I think you can also find the build date of the TV on the Service Menu ( see Jamtuff's posts in this forum for steps on how to enter the Service Menu on the HX820)

LB
post #919 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

Anyone? I'm just trying to find out what can be expected of the HX820. I.e. should one expect to get a set without any backlight bleed at all in the corners? So if you get one with such a defect it's a good idea to return it and buy a new one since you're then likely to get a new set without that defect?

This is not a defect. If you return the TV, you will get another TV with the same behavior. This is a property of this type of TV (i.e., LED edge-lit), but it can be mitigated to the point of being a non-issue with proper user and service menu settings.

Please read some of the earlier posts in this thread where folks discuss adjusting the settings in order to address issues with clouding, flashlighting, creases, etc.
post #920 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

This is not a defect. If you return the TV, you will get another TV with the same behavior. This is a property of this type of TV (i.e., LED edge-lit), but it can be mitigated to the point of being a non-issue with proper user and service menu settings.

Please read some of the earlier posts in this thread where folks discuss adjusting the settings in order to address issues with clouding, flashlighting, creases, etc.

It is a defect. And the amount of problems with flashlighting and clouding varies greatly from one TV unit to the next. Playing with the settings may help to some degree, but will not solve the problems completely in most cases and/or may introduce other undesired side effects such as a too dark or bright image, black crush, blown highlights, reduced contrast, and so on.

Clearly there are units which have very little or even non-noticeable problems with backlight bleeding and clouding, whereas with other units these defects can be horrible. This is why buying a LCD TV is commonly known as "panel lottery".

Regarding the HX820 the general impression from reading this thread is that on most units there are very few problems with backlight bleeding and clouding compared to many other TV brands & models. So that's why I wondered how common it is to get a unit that is actually more or less free of such defects? By that I mean that you can for example watch a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie in a completely dark room without any flashlighting visible in the corners or in the black areas above and below the picture. Is your HX820 that good? Any HX820 owners that please could provide some experiences regarding this?
post #921 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I think you can also find the build date of the TV on the Service Menu ( see Jamtuff's posts in this forum for steps on how to enter the Service Menu on the HX820)

I open the Service Menu, but not sure how to navigate to get the date. Anyone will be kind enough to provide the step?

I just keep pressing 1 and 0 and seem like it is just changing info on the screen. but nothing look like date to me. thanks.
post #922 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntyonline View Post

I open the Service Menu, but not sure how to navigate to get the date. Anyone will be kind enough to provide the step?

I just keep pressing 1 and 0 and seem like it is just changing info on the screen. but nothing look like date to me. thanks.

See post #828...by Jamtuff

"ENTER SM:-(Turn TV ON wait a minute or two to warm-up then power OFF. After 5 seconds do the following:-
DISPLAY, 5, VOLUME+, TV POWER.
You are now in the ServiceMenu (Displayed is the hardware ie panel, software etc etc)
"

Edit:

Ntyonline: apologies, i just pulled up the Service Menu on my HX820 using the above steps and I don't see any info about build date. My bad :-(

LB
post #923 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

See post #828...by Jamtuff

"ENTER SM:-(Turn TV ON wait a minute or two to warm-up then power OFF. After 5 seconds do the following:-
DISPLAY, 5, VOLUME+, TV POWER.
You are now in the ServiceMenu (Displayed is the hardware ie panel, software etc etc)
"

Edit:

Ntyonline: apologies, i just pulled up the Service Menu on my HX820 using the above steps and I don't see any info about build date. My bad :-(

Oh. it is ok. I kind of hoping can get the date from service menu, i wall mount my TV before i read this forum and i wish to check the manufacturing date but too much work to take it down.

I know how to open the service menu. But i just not sure how to navigate around. I keep pressing the 1,0,3. I hope i did not do any damage, can anyone help to confirm? Do i need to do a reset?

thanks.
post #924 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntyonline View Post

Oh. it is ok. I kind of hoping can get the date from service menu, i wall mount my TV before i read this forum and i wish to check the manufacturing date but too much work to take it down.

I know how to open the service menu. But i just not sure how to navigate around. I keep pressing the 1,0,3. I hope i did not do any damage, can anyone help to confirm? Do i need to do a reset?

thanks.

I am new at this too and just followed the instructions posted--but I am sure if you just get out of the SM you should be okay. ( Turn off the TV).

LB
post #925 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Jamtuff: or anybody else ... know how to check the build date on the HX820 electronically?

LB
post #926 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Jamtuff: or anybody else ... know how to check the build date on the HX820 electronically?

No way in the SM. Just check the back white sticker on the tv where the Model and serial number is. Build date is there. The panels are a revision from last year while the hardware is completely new. Build date only refers to assembly date.
post #927 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

No way in the SM. Just check the back white sticker on the tv where the Model and serial number is. Build date is there. The panels are a revision from last year while the hardware is completely new. Build date only refers to assembly date.

Thanks--but ntyonline's TV is wall mounted and is difficult to get to the back of the TV--Hence the question if there was a way to do this electronically.

Ntyonline: Based upon Jamtuff's response--maybe the only other thing to do would be to call Sony Customer support with your TV's serial number to see if they can look up the build date....( you can get the serial number on the Home Menu/Product Support menu).

LB
post #928 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks--but ntyonline's TV is wall mounted and is difficult to get to the back of the TV--Hence the question if there was a way to do this electronically.

Ntyonline: Based upon Jamtuff's response--maybe the only other thing to do would be to call Sony Customer support with your TV's serial number to see if they can look up the build date....( you can get the serial number on the Home Menu/Product Support menu).

Thanks guys for trying to help!
post #929 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Oh, ntyonline the other option would be what was posted above by calling Sony customer service with the SN# and they will be able to tell you the build date. I guess i missed something Y do you need the build date maybe i can help?

Saddly this years panels are full of banding Uuuuuurghhh!! I can live with crease since I can fix it anytime. But banding is just impossible to ignore.....

Anyway, LBJ2 please read this article and you will understand Y i went with my picture settings (glad u chose them too dude):-
And somebody asked Y i had the "Ambient Sensor" turned ON, well this is Y
http://whatsonhdtv.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html
post #930 of 2587 Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 PM

more drama from sony...

called them today to make sure they received my proof of purchase. They said they did and a refurbished tv is on my way....i was like wait whaaaaat? :S then they checked again and found out i was supposed to receive a new tv and someone somewhere made a mistake and sent me a refurbished one. they told me to refuse delivery when i get it (since its already in transit) so that they can initialize a new order for a new tv. tht will set me back by 3 weeks. i got too pissed off to talk with them and hung up...

later called back again...and after acting like an extremely unsatisfied customer i got one of them to get off his Ass and he was able to change the whole thing around. he stopped the shipping of that one and initiated a new shipping for a new tv.

phew

anyone knows how to check if a sony tv is refurbished or not? where will it be written??
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread