Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2586 Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camach88 View Post

Well I have read most of the pages in this thread before making a post.

I have been researching TVs for the longest time, enough to make my brain hurt.

Didn't want to bother with a plasma with the IR issues and I wanted an LCD with lower input lag since I will be using it for 90% gaming.

Just placed an order a few minutes ago for the 55inch.

Oh and this will be my first flat screen, I am a little late to the game. You'll have to wait for pictures to see what it will be replacing

looking foward for your review. im still ont he fence wether to get the 46 or the 55. but i have settled for this set after many many many reviews and post reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Originally Posted by JAMTUFF
Good job dude. Nice pictures too NIGHT and DAY difference. Like i said this tv is so capable and people are stuck on SAV and HTM review settings. The KURO2 crushes some detail too just like the HX. Dont forget to set WHITE POINT when you get the time. ALSO HAVE "AMBIENT SENSOR" TURNED ON
WHITE POINT:

ENTER SM:-(Turn TV ON wait a minute or two to warm-up then power OFF. After 5 seconds do the following:-
DISPLAY, 5, VOLUME+, TV POWER.
You are now in the ServiceMenu (Displayed is the hardware ie panel, software etc etc)

THEN PRESS 1
THEN 2
THEN 0 (This takes you into VIDEO adjustments- Default #1 WHITE level)
THEN ENTER
THEN ENTER

ADJUST SETTINGS 0(darkest)-10(whitest) SET TO 05 THEN ENTER. (RETURN takes you back to the previous screen incase you want to enter a different value OTHERWISE PROCEED TO THE STEPS BELOW)
PRESS "JUMP" THEN "MUTING" to SAVE/WRITE your settings.POWER OFF TV then POWER ON
THATS IT (Some of the previously lost shadow detail should now almost magicaly reappear) You can also set Gamma to 0 to further improve shadow detail if you want to, I still have mine set at -1.
ENJOY let us know

hi might be a silly question but im in australia and trying to enter the service menu to set the white point.. i cant seem to find the 'display' button on my remote the model of the remote is RM-GD017.. any help please.. ive done all settings suggested by jamtuff but need to adjust this last thing.. thanks
oh and whenever i press the 5 button (or any numerical button for that matter) the tv powers on .. will this affect getting to the service menu? becuase im guessing pressing the power button again after its been turned on will just turn it back off again ..
post #1083 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by emernet View Post

hi might be a silly question but im in australia and trying to enter the service menu to set the white point.. i cant seem to find the 'display' button on my remote the model of the remote is RM-GD017.. any help please.. ive done all settings suggested by jamtuff but need to adjust this last thing.. thanks
oh and whenever i press the 5 button (or any numerical button for that matter) the tv powers on .. will this affect getting to the service menu? becuase im guessing pressing the power button again after its been turned on will just turn it back off again ..

Jamtuff? You out there? I seem to remember you answered this remote/display button question earlier on this forum but I couldn't find your response.

LB
post #1084 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. However, I was able to get this to work as described so I am in good shape

Happiness with the set is paramount!

I guess I am just trying to learn more about what happens "under the covers" when settings are changed, and how they interact. If there is improvement on your set, but not on mine, the next question would be to dig deeper into the settings. I am with you, getting the black levels as low as possible, without crushing detail is the grail of LCDs.

Another thing I noticed in Jamtuff's instructions for saving which makes me skeptical, you press the "Jump" button and then the "Mute" button to save it.

The Jump button takes you to another section on the SM where the Muting button will save changes. The reason you can not press the Mute(save) button in the White Point area is because there is nothing that can be changed. So you Jump to a new section of the SM, and then save it.
post #1085 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snash22 View Post

Happiness with the set is paramount!

I guess I am just trying to learn more about what happens "under the covers" when settings are changed, and how they interact. If there is improvement on your set, but not on mine, the next question would be to dig deeper into the settings. I am with you, getting the black levels as low as possible, without crushing detail is the grail of LCDs.

Another thing I noticed in Jamtuff's instructions for saving which makes me skeptical, you press the "Jump" button and then the "Mute" button to save it.

The Jump button takes you to another section on the SM where the Muting button will save changes. The reason you can not press the Mute(save) button in the White Point area is because there is nothing that can be changed. So you Jump to a new section of the SM, and then save it.

I can't explain the technology behind the SM changes--however I think I was able to demonstrate fairly well with the before and after pictures I posted with real content.

Likewise I ( and some others) applied these settings to the HX820 I think you are trying to apply to the NX720, right?--which may be why you don't achieve the same results ( perhaps something to do with the X-Reality Pro (HX820) and the X-Reality Engines ( NX720) ( just guessing) . If I remember correctly Jamtuff developed these settings for the HX929/HX820 ( but not positive about that).

Either way with the HX820 Jamtuff's SPORTS settings deliver a really deep black ( so black that it crushes the detail). Applying the white point setting seems to bring back the detail in the black images and adjusting the GAMA also brought back some detail in the inky black images. When all three are applied I was pretty happy with the result on the HX820.

LB
post #1086 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I can't explain the technology behind the SM changes--however I think I was able to demonstrate fairly well with the before and after pictures I posted with real content.

Likewise I ( and some others) applied these settings to the HX820 I think you are trying to apply to the NX720, right?--which may be why you don't achieve the same results ( perhaps something to do with the X-Reality Pro (HX820) and the X-Reality Engines ( NX720) ( just guessing) . If I remember correctly Jamtuff developed these settings for the HX929/HX820 ( but not positive about that).

Yes, I have an NX720 - He did post somewhere that it applies to NX720.

I guess in the interest of science (the "S" in AVS), we'll need to get more data.
post #1087 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

isrararrafi and anyone else interested to stream video from the iMac directly to the HX820. Due to a tip I got from the Samsung forum I downloaded the Vuze DNLA server ( free version) to my iMac/Lion and so far seems to be streaming my iPhone 4s ( MPEG4) videos perfectly to the TV over my network.

It appears that Vuze does a pretty good job converting the i4S MPEG4 video formats to .mov which the TVs like.

So far the ( free version) app has been stable--without issues.

http://www.vuze.com/compare.php

LB
post #1088 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illan View Post

looking foward for your review. im still ont he fence wether to get the 46 or the 55. but i have settled for this set after many many many reviews and post reading.

My recommendations should you care to consider it....go with the larger screen. Unless of course the physical size of the larger TV just doesn't fit into your place.

LB
post #1089 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I have read most of the pages in this thread before making a post.

I have been researching TVs for the longest time, enough to make my brain hurt.

Didn't want to bother with a plasma with the IR issues and I wanted an LCD with lower input lag since I will be using it for 90% gaming.

Just placed an order a few minutes ago for the 55inch.

Oh and this will be my first flat screen, I am a little late to the game. You'll have to wait for pictures to see what it will be replacing

Camach88 --Welcome! I think you will be very impressed with this set ( the HX820). I look forward to hearing about your initial impressions.

LB
post #1090 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:

My recommendations should you care to consider it....go with the larger screen. Unless of course the physical size of the larger TV just doesn't fit into your place.

Agreed. I stopped in at a Best Buy and compared the size differences between the 46" and the 55". I was debating on the sizes before heading to Best Buy but once I saw the sizes I instantly knew I wanted the 55.

Quote:

Camach88 --Welcome! I think you will be very impressed with this set ( the HX820). I look forward to hearing about your initial impressions.

Thanks. While Best Buy didn't have a HX820 on display they did have a 929. I took a look at that and I was blown away! I spent a good five minutes walking around looking at ti at different angles to look for "creases" or imperfections and I didn't notice anything. Maybe I am so new in the game I can't notice these things but I am happy for that.
post #1091 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. I stopped in at a Best Buy and compared the size differences between the 46" and the 55". I was debating on the sizes before heading to Best Buy but once I saw the sizes I instantly knew I wanted the 55.

Thanks. While Best Buy didn't have a HX820 on display they did have a 929. I took a look at that and I was blown away! I spent a good five minutes walking around looking at ti at different angles to look for "creases" or imperfections and I didn't notice anything. Maybe I am so new in the game I can't notice these things but I am happy for that.

Okay well now you are going to make some of us HX820 owners jealous The HX929 is the king-of-the hill for Sony 2011 TVs--if you can swing it--I say go for it! If not the HX820 is a very, very solid backup.

"The bottom line: One of the best-performing LED-based LCDs we've ever tested, the expensive local-dimming Sony XBR-HX929 competes well with the top plasmas."

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1eZWY2Ezl"

P.S. Take a look at Amazon.com for the new HDMI cables you are going to need with your new flat screen. Very good HDMI cables run less than $10 on Amazon. Both HDMI cables listed below perform just as well as those very expensive department store HDMI cables.
http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Hig...2089393&sr=8-7
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...2089393&sr=8-2

LB
post #1092 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Okay well now you are going to make some of us HX820 owners jealous The HX929 is the king-of-the hill for Sony 2011 TVs--if you can swing it--I say go for it! If not the HX820 is a very, very solid backup.

"The bottom line: One of the best-performing LED-based LCDs we've ever tested, the expensive local-dimming Sony XBR-HX929 competes well with the top plasmas."[left][color=#000000]

But isn't the PQ the same on the 820 compared to the 929? I wasn't looking at the 929 to buy. I love shopping on Amazon but I couldn't front almost 3k even with the 24 month financing. The 820 is on the way and should arrive next Wednesday.
post #1093 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But isn't the PQ the same on the 820 compared to the 929? I wasn't looking at the 929 to buy. I love shopping on Amazon but I couldn't front almost 3k even with the 24 month financing. The 820 is on the way and should arrive next Wednesday.

No argument there...I think you will be more than happy with the HX820 both PQ and value.

LB
post #1094 of 2586 Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Jamtuff? You out there? I seem to remember you answered this remote/display button question earlier on this forum but I couldn't find your response.

hi.. ive done a couple of searches and i think jamtuff mentioned that is the i-guide button with a question mark on it .. so im trying that one although i have no idea why it turns on when i press the numerical '5' button so then the next step is to push the tv power button on the remote and all this does is turn it off again is this normal ? is it supposed to power up one step early? is this a feature that can be disabled.

hoping you can let me now asap .. ive got some company coming over and will see it for the first time so id like it to be looking fantastic as these people are samsung fans and i want to let them see how wrong they are haha
post #1095 of 2586 Old 11-24-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hi.. ive done a couple of searches and i think jamtuff mentioned that is the i-guide button with a question mark on it .. so im trying that one although i have no idea why it turns on when i press the numerical '5' button so then the next step is to push the tv power button on the remote and all this does is turn it off again is this normal ? is it supposed to power up one step early? is this a feature that can be disabled.

hoping you can let me now asap .. ive got some company coming over and will see it for the first time so id like it to be looking fantastic as these people are samsung fans and i want to let them see how wrong they are haha

Hello. Today is a holiday in US and I haven't seen any posts from jamtuff recently ( possibly traveling ?)

I don't recognize what you are experiencing with that #5 key and with a different remote I don't know what to tell you.

For now....If you apply all of Jamtuff Sports settings minus the SM white point changes and then adjust the Gama to 1 the TV looks pretty good with deep blacks.

LB
post #1096 of 2586 Old 11-24-2011, 07:57 AM

I got my 46HX820 yesterday from TigerDirect. I was shocked to find the build date of April 2011. That's 7 months old. I guess that's why is was cheep. On another note, Does anyone know if this unit supports 8 bit or 10 bit data format over HDMI.
post #1097 of 2586 Old 11-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

it would be great if you could provide a picture of your remote control so that we can have a look at the buttons in the remote too. Might be silly but did you consider the possibility that you might have the display button under a different name?

And i am not sure, but maybe if you call sony support in australia they would tell you how to access the menu?? unless of course if it voids warranty

oh and just so that you know in the US version the "Display" button displays the infos on the current channel, like what program is running...program synopsis, time, remaining etc etc. Have a button with similar function in your remote?
post #1098 of 2586 Old 11-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

it would be great if you could provide a picture of your remote control so that we can have a look at the buttons in the remote too. Might be silly but did you consider the possibility that you might have the display button under a different name?

And i am not sure, but maybe if you call sony support in australia they would tell you how to access the menu?? unless of course if it voids warranty

oh and just so that you know in the US version the "Display" button displays the infos on the current channel, like what program is running...program synopsis, time, remaining etc etc. Have a button with similar function in your remote?

thanks for your help guys i worked out the button from the description of its action above. i googled an image of both our remotes and found that th ebutton is in the sae position as yours (approximately the 2 position on a watch face .. so its all done and looking great.. i found i lost a little bit of detail in the shadows when i compared it to my before setings but i just kept the gamma at 0 and tweaked the picture and brightness up a little to bring them back. maybe its the just the environment of the room or my own preference.. anyway am very pleased with the result overall .. deeper blacks and vibrant colours with out overly doing it like the vivid setting.
post #1099 of 2586 Old 11-24-2011, 09:58 PM

have a question. was trying to watch regular hd programming as 3d and the quality was not good at all. while the native 3d programming shown in 3d experience and 3d br was awesome but conversion of native hd programming to 3d was not too good.

are there any special settings for improving this or it is like this for everyone?
post #1100 of 2586 Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post

have a question. was trying to watch regular hd programming as 3d and the quality was not good at all. while the native 3d programming shown in 3d experience and 3d br was awesome but conversion of native hd programming to 3d was not too good.

are there any special settings for improving this or it is like this for everyone?

I believe this is normal. "3D conversion" is okay--but not nearly as good as a native 3D signal from Bluray.

Did you try adjusting the 3D depth +/- on the 3D menu? A +1 or +2 adjustment will increase the 3D effect.

LB
post #1101 of 2586 Old 11-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:

"The bottom line: One of the best-performing LED-based LCDs we've ever tested, the expensive local-dimming Sony XBR-HX929 competes well with the top plasmas."

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1eZWY2Ezl"

P.S. Take a look at Amazon.com for the new HDMI cables you are going to need with your new flat screen. Very good HDMI cables run less than $10 on Amazon. Both HDMI cables listed below perform just as well as those very expensive department store HDMI cables.
http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Hig...2089393&sr=8-7
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...2089393&sr=8-2

Oh I didn't catch your Edit until now. I am not running cable for a while, just don't watch much tv, so do I still need these?

When I use the tv it will be mostly for gaming so I know I need to pick up HDMI cables for my xbox.

I noticed the second link says it supports ethernet, would I use this between my router and tv or is it more for like connecting the TV or a blueray player?

Forgive me, I am so new at this.
post #1102 of 2586 Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead47 View Post

I got my 46HX820 yesterday from TigerDirect. I was shocked to find the build date of April 2011. That's 7 months old. I guess that's why is was cheep. On another note, Does anyone know if this unit supports 8 bit or 10 bit data format over HDMI.

I just ordered mine today from Tigerdirect. Comes with the BR player and Alice in Wonderland 3D kit. Do you have any problem with the TV though?
post #1103 of 2586 Old 11-25-2011, 07:48 AM

The TV is perfect out of the box. Do the update before making any adjustments. I got the one with the 3D glasses and 3D Blu-Ray movie. This TV replaced my 9 yr old 42" Panasonic plasma that had no issues. The picture is great, bright clear and lifelike. It's as if you are in the seen with the actors. The only thing I see when comparing to my plasma is that the plasma has better detail. (eg. skin tones are beautiful on the sony but the plasma shows every pocmark and every nose hair on the face) A five o'clock shadow looks like a shadow on the sony but on the plasma you can see every hair. I am happy with my purchase but not the fact that is was in on their floor for 7 months.
post #1104 of 2586 Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 AM

That's good to hear. I can't wait for the TV. Giving my Sharp 42" LCD to my inlaws since their 15 year old rear projector TV is dying.
post #1105 of 2586 Old 11-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
Got a ps3 on black Friday deal. Question for people who have ps3 With this tv. Under display settings of ps3 should I set the RGB to limited or full? And the whole y/PBR or something settings should I set tht one to on or off? Someone said I would set it to on if my tv supports these...but have no idea whether this tv does.

Cool thing is, I can use the tv remote with the ps3 to browse menus and everything...and play pause videos and music that I am streaming from my Mac using the play pause buttons onmy remote. Haven't tried blu ray movie yet coz i dont have one but if I can use the play pause buttons of the remote, that would be great and would mean I don't need a separate blu ray remote for my ps3. Can anyone check and tell?
post #1106 of 2586 Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuffy View Post

I just ordered mine today from Tigerdirect. Comes with the BR player and Alice in Wonderland 3D kit. Do you have any problem with the TV though?

I can't stand Tigerdirect commercials but why did I not go with that deal?!
post #1107 of 2586 Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 AM

I will probably ebay off the BR player and the 3D kit. If I plan to watch 3D, I will get the better glasses.
post #1108 of 2586 Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Hello everyone, i've read through this thread from start to finish LOL. It's been very informative throughout, cheers to everyone who shared their experiences and opinions =]

I just have a few questions i desperately need answered though and i would be greatly appreciative if someone helps me out.

Firstly, how do you get into the Service Menu!? I've tried all the instructions JamStuff and everybody else has mentioned, and i've yet to see this elusive menu. Can someone confirm what the "display button" is and which power button/standby buttons do i press? There's three of them iirc...

Secondly, after changing the settings in the Service menu (for example the WHITE set to 05.) can i change it back to it's default etc?

Many thanks!
post #1109 of 2586 Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Greetings all!,
Just pulled the trigger on this set, from a Sony store, and will set it up tommorow. Read all the reviews and what not, and will post my experience in the next couple of days. Can't wait to fire her up....

Max
post #1110 of 2586 Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxumman View Post

Greetings all!,
Just pulled the trigger on this set, from a Sony store, and will set it up tommorow. Read all the reviews and what not, and will post my experience in the next couple of days. Can't wait to fire her up....

Max

Congrats Max...Enjoy the TV!!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page