Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2584 Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just ordered it on amazon...along with the 3d kit ( 2 glasses +narnia..it's on sale today)..first ever purchase from amazon and plus i have never even seen this tv with my own eyes. literally a blind purchase. hopefully i won't regret it.

in the mean time more pictures will be welcome. specially bright pictures in daylight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2584 Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm confused. Two different reviews of the hx820 posted in this thread claim it comes with glasses. My box says sold separately. Whats going on?
post #93 of 2584 Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post

I'm confused. Two different reviews of the hx820 posted in this thread claim it comes with glasses. My box says sold separately. Whats going on?

I think it is sold with 3D glasses in some other countries.
post #94 of 2584 Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM

It has been shipped should be receiving it by next week...shipped via home direct..anyone familiar with this company? How is their service?
post #95 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Our TV arrived from Amazon yesterday. Came via Pilot Freight. Got it all set up last night...looks awesome. Got it in place and all hooked up...played with the menus some, but didn't get a chance to mess with any settings yet or even watch much on it.

The only complaint I have is the wobbly stand.

Can't wait to spend some quality time with it this weekend!
post #96 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

It has been shipped should be receiving it by next week...shipped via home direct..anyone familiar with this company? How is their service?

Home Direct uses mostly local people to deliver. So the service differs wildly from region to region. They're more like a freight re-seller in a lot of areas. Not like a CEVA or FedEx. Amazon just hires them and they work with a network of Mom n' Pop freight company's.

In my experience, they're alright. Most freight companies are just not state of the art businesses and not great to work with, so if you get an "okay" one its a good thing.

Site: Sony KDL-55HX820 | Sony KDL-55NX810 | Sony KDL-40XBR
Sound: Onkyo TX-SR608 | Energy Take Classic 7.2 w/ M8 SW
Input: Playstation 3 Slim 320gb | Xbox 360 S 250gb | Roku XDS | Samsung BD-C6800
post #97 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Wow mine is already been delivered to CEVA in Omaha after ordering mid-day Tuesday. Anybody know if I will be able to tell CEVA that I would like it held for a week or two until our apartment is repaired? Or do I just have a few day window to work with?

Edit: chiefs_11 any flashlighting noticeable on your set?

Q9450 @ 3.4GHZ| Asus P5Q Pro| EVGA GTX 280| Corsair Dominator (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066| Corsair 620HX| Vista Ultimate x64| Antec P182
post #98 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquayonex View Post

Home Direct uses mostly local people to deliver. So the service differs wildly from region to region. They're more like a freight re-seller in a lot of areas. Not like a CEVA or FedEx. Amazon just hires them and they work with a network of Mom n' Pop freight company's.

In my experience, they're alright. Most freight companies are just not state of the art businesses and not great to work with, so if you get an "okay" one its a good thing.

hmm..i just want them to deliver the tv without damaging it.

Am i supposed to refuse to accept the box if the box seems damaged?? what should i do next? should i tell them to stay while i call up amazon? i just wanna be ready. like i said before, it is my first expensive purchase from amazon
post #99 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

hmm..i just want them to deliver the tv without damaging it.

Am i supposed to refuse to accept the box if the box seems damaged?? what should i do next? should i tell them to stay while i call up amazon? i just wanna be ready. like i said before, it is my first expensive purchase from amazon

Amazon's info on large TV delivery says this:
Quote:

Upon delivery, they will bring the parcel into your home and unpack the item. You will need to inspect your television carefully for damage or obvious defects while the shipper is still present. If you discover any damage, please refuse delivery. You'll be responsible for any assembly and/or installation. An adult signature is required at the time of delivery.

However, the guy who delivered ours from Pilot Freight said they don't do that. My wife insisted (I wasn't home) and the guy did open up the box and she checked things out. He said they're not supposed to do that. Maybe Amazon needs to clarify that with their shippers? Anyway, everything was fine... I'm sure yours will be, too, so don't worry!
post #100 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic54 View Post

chiefs_11 any flashlighting noticeable on your set?

I did not notice any yet, no. But I did have every light in the room on last night. Didn't really get to spend too much time with it yet.

Speaking of lights, the glass screen does reflect them, obviously, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Wasn't too noticable except when the screen was blank.
post #101 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs_11 View Post

Amazon's info on large TV delivery says this:

However, the guy who delivered ours from Pilot Freight said they don't do that. My wife insisted (I wasn't home) and the guy did open up the box and she checked things out. He said they're not supposed to do that. Maybe Amazon needs to clarify that with their shippers? Anyway, everything was fine... I'm sure yours will be, too, so don't worry!

hey, thanks for that. really appreciate it. Just found it too in amazon. Makes me feel better lol
post #102 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs_11 View Post

I did not notice any yet, no. But I did have every light in the room on last night. Didn't really get to spend too much time with it yet.

Speaking of lights, the glass screen does reflect them, obviously, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Wasn't too noticable except when the screen was blank.

Good to hear, please keep us update if you do.

Q9450 @ 3.4GHZ| Asus P5Q Pro| EVGA GTX 280| Corsair Dominator (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066| Corsair 620HX| Vista Ultimate x64| Antec P182
post #103 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 12:24 PM

I have my TV shipped from Amazon yesterday being shipped from Home Direct. Amazon states it shipped yesterday, but Home Direct claims they haven't picked it up yet. I don't know what the deal is, but it stinks having to wait over a week for delivery for such an expensive purchase.

I will keep you guys informed on delivery and the quality of the TV. I have owned nothing but Sony TV's in the past, so I am really not worried about quality.
post #104 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Hey everyone...got my 820 in mid July. I have had absolutely no problems with this set!!!! I've followed the posts on the 729 since early June and this TV has none of those problems.TV is securely packaged and no one should have any problems with shipping. However, I would make sure their is no damage to the box before accepting delivery. The PQ on this set is the best I've ever seen, even right out of the box!!!!! My last TV was the KDS 60a2000. I haven't used the the 3D yet but I ordered the " Naria bundle" glasses from Amazon yesterday at a real good price. I ordered a calibration DVD
to check the settings but I'm a little hesitant to try....though I'm sure I will. Has anyone
adjusted their settings and if so would you be willing to share? Enjoy this TV everyone!!!

Steve
post #105 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeverett40 View Post

Hey everyone...got my 820 in mid July. I have had absolutely no problems with this set!!!! I've followed the posts on the 729 since early June and this TV has none of those problems.TV is securely packaged and no one should have any problems with shipping. However, I would make sure their is no damage to the box before accepting delivery. The PQ on this set is the best I've ever seen, even right out of the box!!!!! My last TV was the KDS 60a2000. I haven't used the the 3D yet but I ordered the " Naria bundle" glasses from Amazon yesterday at a real good price. I ordered a calibration DVD
to check the settings but I'm a little hesitant to try....though I'm sure I will. Has anyone
adjusted their settings and if so would you be willing to share? Enjoy this TV everyone!!!

Steve

This is the most reassuring feedback about this set I've seen so far. Thanks! Mine should be arriving in a couple weeks.
post #106 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 01:11 PM

chiefs_11 and stevedensmore, do either of you play videos games at all? Just wanted to see if you had any experience with the input lag of this TV.

post #107 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drekk View Post

I have my TV shipped from Amazon yesterday being shipped from Home Direct. Amazon states it shipped yesterday, but Home Direct claims they haven't picked it up yet. I don't know what the deal is, but it stinks having to wait over a week for delivery for such an expensive purchase.

I will keep you guys informed on delivery and the quality of the TV. I have owned nothing but Sony TV's in the past, so I am really not worried about quality.

hmmm...read some reviews of home direct by amazon customers and the reviews are absolutely terrible.
post #108 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic54 View Post

chiefs_11 and stevedensmore, do either of you play videos games at all? Just wanted to see if you had any experience with the input lag of this TV.

I'm an avid video game player, mainly first-person shooters. I'll let you guys know how well it perfoms when the set finally arrives. I currently play on a SXRD rear projection TV, 50A3000. I just did a lag test, it was 50ms and really doesn't bother me when I game. I'm assuming this new panel will have even less lag.
post #109 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Has anyone played back any blu-ray movies at 24p? I have a review from Cnet and another website that mentioned choppy playback when there is a lot of motion. Can anyone say something different about this?

This is the only thing holding me back from buying this TV.
post #110 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedensmore View Post

I'm an avid video game player, mainly first-person shooters. I'll let you guys know how well it perfoms when the set finally arrives. I currently play on a SXRD rear projection TV, 50A3000. I just did a lag test, it was 50ms and really doesn't bother me when I game. I'm assuming this new panel will have even less lag.

Supposedly it is around 20-30ms which is pretty darn good for LED sets which was part of the reason I kept looking at this TV. I've posed the question to almost everybody in this thread and the response has been pretty positive so far.

post #111 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Is the HX820 series plagued with the "crease" as well? If so, I might back out on my exchange replacement and go with the cheapest option, HX729.
post #112 of 2584 Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 PM

The crease issue only effects the 929 from what I have seen.
post #113 of 2584 Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 AM

I haven't heard of any problems with the 820
post #114 of 2584 Old 08-12-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Today I received my new 55HX820. This is a replacement for my other Sony 60EX720 which suffered from severe crosstalk/ghosting, blur while viewing 3D--so much so that it was impossible to view 3D content. So far so good with the HX820. I am very happy with the 3D capabilities of the HX820--a much better ++ 3D experience compared to the Sony EX720.

I did have some issue with the initial setup of the stand that comes with the TV set up by the Sony White Glove guys. The TV was leaning forward and to the right. After closer examination I found that the column that holds the stand was installed backwards. Once I disassembled the stand from the column and then repositioned the column to the "front" as clearly illustrated and then reassembled, all was well with the TV stand and screen position. I am happy to say that the HX820 is a good choice for me! My initial comments include:

1. Decent sound/speakers built into this slim TV
2. Screen displays nice "pop" that seems to elude the plasmas ( depending upon the HX820 settings)
3. Streaming Apps abound...a wide choice of streaming apps/content to include Netflix, Hulu Plus, CinemaNow, and Sony's own Qriocity ( with 3D movies), and Sony's latest 3D Experience--with even more 3D content.
4. Swivel. I am able to swivel the LCD on the table top stand left/right. Very nice--something I haven't been able to do with my previous Sony TVs.
5. Very good 2D display with nice black/contrast as expected from a high-end Sony TV.
6. Multitude of "settings". I am still trying out all the settings to see which combo works best for my room/lighting situation for both day time and night time viewing.
7. The iPhone Sony MediaRemote app... so I don't have to type info into the HX820 with the Sony remote number/letter pad.
8. Blurays/24P seem to play very nicely. I don't see any of the issues some reported with 24P playback. ( I am using a Sony PS3 with this TV for Bluray viewing). So far great PQ!
9. No crease :-)

What I don't like:

1. I can't plug in my current 1.4a HDMI cables into the Input #1 ARC slot or #2. The Input #1 ARC and #2 HDMI outlets positioned at the back of the TV are downward facing and pretty narrow. However, there are other HDMI outlets located on the side of the frame HDMI #3 and 4 which I was able to use for now--but they don't include the ARC ( Audio Return Channel). Looks like I will have to purchase a new thinner HDMI cable.
2. Video Component adapter--Sony includes this as a separate adapter that you have to plug into the back of the TV for your old red/yellow/white cabled devices ( like the Nintendo Wii). This seems really redundant and potentially adds to the "cable clutter" albeit only if you need to connect non-HDMI video components.
3. The Sony web browser included in this TV and the widgets. Both are sooooo infuriating slow they detract from an otherwise excellent TV. Better to ignore these at all costs ( at least for your own sanity or mental well being)

Summary:

So far...I am overall very happy with the HX820 and consider it a "keeper" !

LB
post #115 of 2584 Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
2 Amazon vendors are priced under $1995 today.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #116 of 2584 Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Well Folks, bit the bullet & my 46HX820 arrives tomorrow fron my local Sony dealer. Replaces a 37XBR6 which I am moving to the bedroom. By the way, the 37 is one Great set, with wonderful colors, great contrast, & have often wondered, how can the picture get any better than this? Stay tuned & I'll report on the 820.
Take Care-Jerry
post #117 of 2584 Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the review lbj2, nicely written. Mine should arrive by Tuesday
post #118 of 2584 Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 AM

Purchased the Sony 46HX820 3 weeks ago and am happy with the tv apart from the following.
When viewing content with a dark/black setting 5-6 grey vertical lines are visible on the screen. Be it broadcast or dvd content the same lines appear against a dark scene.
The "Gorilla" glass does not sit perfectly flat against the front of the body of the tv in 2 of the 4 corners. If not careful it can be snagged with a cleaning cloth.
Panel sits 4mm lower on the left hand side (viewed from front). I have checked i have assembled the stand together the correct way. I am thinking of getting the Sony stand with the built in speakers, does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of sound it pumps out.

Also i wouldn't by it for the motionflow features either as my friends 3 yr old 100 hertz Sony handles fast paced sports such as Australian rules footbal much better than this one (yes i have tried different settings).

I have not contacted Sony re the above as it bothers me but the rest of the family think i am just being overtly anal about it. These minor issues are a pity as here in Australia the HX820 is not considered to be a "cheap" model.

Generally this is a great unit with very realistic colours, unfortunately the full potential of the unit is hamstrung by the rediculously low amount of full HD content offered by our free to air broadcasters.
I did all the research on this model as well as the Samsung 7 series and chose the Sony due to the picture quality seeming to apear more realistic than the Samsung plus i didn't entirely like the "plasticky" look of the other unit.
If anyone has any thoughts to offer on the above issues i would love to hear from you.
Thanks
post #119 of 2584 Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 AM

^^ Its better to contact them, because seems like you might have gotten a defective set. the amount of money you spent on it, you shouldn't settle for anything that seems defective
post #120 of 2584 Old 08-13-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
For those of you perhaps like me looking for calibration suggestions for the HX820:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm

"Calibration
We use DisplayMate calibration software and a spectrophotometer to calibrate our televisions before putting them through our tests. You can see our optimized calibration for viewing in a dark room below.

One of the signs of a good television is that it doesn’t require much adjustment to calibrate. The Sony Bravia KDL-55HX820 was one such TV. Besides turning off all of its special video processing features, we didn’t have to change much at all. For 3D, however, we turned the Picture down to 88.

Any settings not mentioned in the table below were left on their default setting.

Calibration Settings in Picture Mode:

Setting Default Calibrated

Ambient Sensor On Off
Backlight 5 Max (10)
Reality Creation Manual Off
Cinemotion Auto 1 Off "

I am surprised at how few non-default settings are suggested. However, like they said "One of the signs of a good television is that it doesn’t require much adjustment to calibrate. The Sony Bravia KDL-55HX820 was one such TV"

Of course I will turn down the Backlight for daytime viewing ( probably closer to 5 or 6). Also I took notice of an early note in this forum posted by "immolator" on page 1 of this forum. Therefore I have also engaged "LED Local Dimming" as suggested in the hopes of achieving even greater black levels.

If any of you have others suggestions, please share. In the meantime, lets hope a few of the other big reviewers take notice of the HX820 and posts their recommendations as well. So far I haven't seen many reviews on this set.

LB
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page