Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 2587 Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
millerrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 55HX820! Can't wait.
millerrh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 2587 Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Member
 
g~fella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexiphos View Post

Here's a little review regarding gaming on the KDL-46HX820 for those interested. I'm a hardcore gamer and very picky when it comes to input lag etc... I use a Playstation 3.

For 1080p games, input lag is noticeably there but not game-changing. Doing 360 no-scopes and the like will be difficult and precision aiming is somewhat affected.

For 720p games, especially if it's FPS, input lag is terrible. Unless if it's a TPS (Third person shooter) like Uncharted, you can "get away with it" sorta...

The good news is, this tv has a game mode, and if you switch it on. Input lag is erased completely even on 720p games. Picture quality is decreased though for you graphic whores... like myself.

Oh, and when it comes to 3D gaming with game mode turned off and even on 720p games, there isn't any input lag, don't know how that works but you don't see me complaining =P

Oh and thanks Jamstuff, welcome back too!

Hey Alexiphos, just got this TV and for 3 days now, I've been looking for the "game mode" option and I cant seem to find it. On my XBR6 it was under "Picture and Display". Looking under scene select, there is a "Game" scene mode, but that doesnt seem like it's switching off any processing. Also, have you tried playing FPS games with the motion flow "Clear" option selected? what are your thoughts? thanks.
g~fella is offline  
post #1173 of 2587 Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
JAMTUFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yal are welcome everyone. I'm back now. On the settings note. I also have my GAMMA set to -1 and ECO mode ON. Brightness is 35. The rest is still the same. If anyone still needs the new settings, please let me know.
JAMTUFF is offline  
post #1174 of 2587 Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
JAMTUFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emernet View Post

thanks for your help guys i worked out the button from the description of its action above. i googled an image of both our remotes and found that th ebutton is in the sae position as yours (approximately the 2 position on a watch face .. so its all done and looking great.. i found i lost a little bit of detail in the shadows when i compared it to my before setings but i just kept the gamma at 0 and tweaked the picture and brightness up a little to bring them back. maybe its the just the environment of the room or my own preference.. anyway am very pleased with the result overall .. deeper blacks and vibrant colours with out overly doing it like the vivid setting.

Cool. Glad my settings worked out for you. I was away on a trip for my birthday and sorry couldnt get to you on time to answer your questions. I saw my backup partner LBJ2 did a pretty good job of solving your issues, thanks bud. Also a WHITE POINT setting of 04 worked better on my second HX820 as opposed to 05. My original set still is set to 05 and performs better as opposed to setting 04. like i mentioned before for every tv its different, so 04 OR 05 are the magic numbers. Very small difference though just that I easily can detect the subtle change.

NB: Most if not all EURO Bluray/DVD players have a gamma setting feature for HDMI connections in the MENU, make sure it is set to MID or 0. I have a Panasonic bluray recorder BS850 and Sony dvd recorder HXD770 and both EURO models obviously. Both have gamma, Black Level, White Balance and Brightness setting in their respective menus.
JAMTUFF is offline  
post #1175 of 2587 Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Newbie
 
wchow168's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JAMTUFF, Please post your current settings. I would like to try them out. You sure know your STUFF. Thanks!
wchow168 is offline  
post #1176 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Newbie
 
Alexiphos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by g~fella View Post

Hey Alexiphos, just got this TV and for 3 days now, I've been looking for the "game mode" option and I cant seem to find it. On my XBR6 it was under "Picture and Display". Looking under scene select, there is a "Game" scene mode, but that doesnt seem like it's switching off any processing. Also, have you tried playing FPS games with the motion flow "Clear" option selected? what are your thoughts? thanks.

Hey buddy, the "game" option in Scene select is indeed the game mode i'm talking about. If you select it and enter the picture settings, you'll see most of the settings are turned off or blanked out and can't be configured. Regarding the motion flow, i haven't really experimented with the different choices, i just use standard and smooth and am happy with the result. Might look more into it later on tonight though.
Alexiphos is offline  
post #1177 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Newbie
 
murdermace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everybody , The way I pictured the widgets to work was I hit the widget button on my remote and all the widgets I want to use (facebook, twitter, etc) would come up on the screen. Whats really happening is its only showing the last widget I opened from the menu screen. Iam doing something wrong?
murdermace is offline  
post #1178 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Member
 
g~fella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexiphos View Post

Hey buddy, the "game" option in Scene select is indeed the game mode i'm talking about. If you select it and enter the picture settings, you'll see most of the settings are turned off or blanked out and can't be configured. Regarding the motion flow, i haven't really experimented with the different choices, i just use standard and smooth and am happy with the result. Might look more into it later on tonight though.

Aaaaahhhh, indeed your right! thanks a bunch
g~fella is offline  
post #1179 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Member
 
jthazleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

I love a critic. Please try my settings step by step then let me know especialy with I AM LEGEND. The KURO2 clipped a little too crushing is what i tried to avoid and my shadow detail and blacks are incredible. Try it then let me know.

MY NEW PIC SETTINGS:-
SET WHITE POINT-05

Picture mode.......SPORTS
Backlight........6
Picture.........87
Brightness.....41
Color............60-67 (or whatever you prefer)
Hue.............R4,MID 0
Color Temp..Warm 1 or warm 2
Sharpness....50
Noise Reduction...Low
MPEG.................Low
Dot Noise...........Auto
Reality Creation...Auto
Smooth Grad.......Low
Motionflow.........STANDARD
Cinemotion......... Auto 1
Black Corrector....HIGH
Adv. Contrast......HIGH
Gamma..............-1 (set to 0 if clipping)
LED Dyn Cntrl......Standard
Auto light Limiter...MEDIUM
Clear White........OFF
Live Color...........MEDIUM
White Balance......R-Gain 0
.........................G-Gain 0
.........................B-Gain 0
.........................R-Bias 0
.........................G-Bias 0
.........................B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer....OFF
Edge Enhancer.....OFF
Skin Neutralizer....OFF
I/P Conversion.....OFF
Ambient Sensor....On
HDMI Dynamic Range...Auto
SBM....................OFF

Eco-OFF
PIC MODE-SPORTS
WHITE POINT-05

JAMTUFF,

Beautiful settings, The picture looks stunning with them and although there is a slight little bit of crush for my set I tweaked the gamma to +1 to minimize it also with my set R4 on the Hue (Tint) is a little too red for my liking so I left it at R2 with a neutral color temp setting and wow finally some black levels I like. everything I tried before your settings seemed to washout my picture and hamper the black levels.

Addendum, These are not the new settings lol I went back earlier and gave them a whirl.

Mine are:

Picture mode.......SPORTS
Backlight........5
Picture.........87
Brightness.....42
Color............60
Hue.............R2
Color Temp..Neutral or Warm 1
Sharpness....50
Noise Reduction...Low
MPEG.................Low
Dot Noise...........Auto
Reality Creation...Auto
Smooth Grad.......Low
Motionflow.........STANDARD
Cinemotion......... Auto 1
Black Corrector....HIGH
Adv. Contrast......HIGH
Gamma..............+1
LED Dyn Cntrl......Standard
Auto light Limiter...MEDIUM
Clear White........OFF
Live Color...........MEDIUM
White Balance......R-Gain 0
.........................G-Gain 0
.........................B-Gain 0
.........................R-Bias 0
.........................G-Bias 0
.........................B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer....OFF
Edge Enhancer.....OFF
Skin Neutralizer....OFF
I/P Conversion.....OFF
Ambient Sensor....On
HDMI Dynamic Range...Auto
SBM....................OFF

Eco off (I don't like the way it dims the picture when it is on)

White point is set to 5 in the Service Menu
jthazleh is offline  
post #1180 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Member
 
jthazleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 55HX820! Can't wait.

Miller As a proud owner of a four day old!!!! You are going to love this set
jthazleh is offline  
post #1181 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Member
 
BrianR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question
Does the HX820 have a different panel then the HX729?
I know the HX820 has opticontrast and gorilla glass but I specifically am trying to find out if it has a different panel then the 729. Nobody in my area carries the HX820 so I cant compare them for myself.

The HX729 and NX810 definitely use different panels and I am hoping the HX820 does as well.
BrianR is offline  
post #1182 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
JAMTUFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchow168 View Post

JAMTUFF, Please post your current settings. I would like to try them out. You sure know your STUFF. Thanks!

Hahaa I like that..wchow168.
Jthazleh tweaked his settings to his liking and is so far satisfied, great job. Everybody's got different taste but the key here is to get those INCREDIBLE INKY BLACKS this tv can really produce then tweak colors, shadow detail and tones as desired from there.
I am really pushing this set to its limits now borderline crush yet very minimal loss in shadow detail. Ill tell you this, when watching in the dark and the scene goes blank, its like somebody stole the tv the way it seamlessly blends into the pitch black darkness....WOW!! Best investment I ever made, KDL55HX820 PERIOD. Try these settings and everything before the new settings will look washed-out guaranteed as stated earlier by others. "Look", shhhhhhhh...Join the Darkside
MY CURRENT SETTINGS:-

Picture mode.......SPORTS
Backlight........6
Picture.........86
Brightness.....37
Color............64
Hue.............R4
Color Temp..Warm 1/Neutral
Sharpness....50
Noise Reduction...Off
MPEG.................Low
Dot Noise...........Auto
Reality Creation...Auto
Smooth Grad.......Low
Motionflow.........STANDARD
Cinemotion......... Auto 1
Black Corrector....HIGH
Adv. Contrast......HIGH
Gamma..............-1 (set to 0 if clipping/crushing detail)
LED Dyn Cntrl......Standard
Auto light Limiter...OFF
Clear White........OFF
Live Color...........MEDIUM
White Balance......R-Gain 0
.........................G-Gain 0
.........................B-Gain 0
.........................R-Bias 0
.........................G-Bias 0
.........................B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer....OFF
Edge Enhancer.....OFF
Skin Neutralizer....OFF
I/P Conversion.....OFF
Ambient Sensor....On
Eco (In Preference)-POWER SAVING-LOW

WHITE POINT: 04 OR 05
JAMTUFF is offline  
post #1183 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
JAMTUFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post

Question
Does the HX820 have a different panel then the HX729?
I know the HX820 has opticontrast and gorilla glass but I specifically am trying to find out if it has a different panel then the 729. Nobody in my area carries the HX820 so I cant compare them for myself.

The HX729 and NX810 definitely use different panels and I am hoping the HX820 does as well.

From my findings they seem to use different panels. Panel S55EQL-LR for HX729 and P-MOD (FQLL550LT01) S-LCD in the HX820, HX929 and HX720. P-MOD or S-MOD are super premium quality panels. Its like the 729 uses last years NX810 panel which was amazing by all respect mind you. The gorilla glass has a resin between it and the TFT panel in the new models as stated by LBJ2 and I earlier and possibly a coating similar to Samsung tvs refer to last years phenomenal HX800 panel (Very reflective kinda like Samsungs coating). But the HX729 is no slouch it made it to the MAGNOLIA... lol. Get by all means it if you cant go Monolith HX820 style.

TIPS:
Did you guys know possibly next year or after most LCD panels will completely be built of FULL or PART gorilla glass? Let me explain, the Monolithic designs of this year are gorilla glass front shielded (PART) but can still break the LCD panel inside. New panels will have the front gorilla shield plus a LOTUS glass by Corning structured into the TFT substrate (FULL)...UNBREAKABLE.
JAMTUFF is offline  
post #1184 of 2587 Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Newbie
 
wchow168's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks JAMTUFF! I will try your settings. I just plugged in the tv a month ago and had not made any adjustment. On the left side edge of my tv the color usually when blue seems to be ligther than the right side edge, not sure what is, flash lighting, crease? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
wchow168 is offline  
post #1185 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Member
 
BrianR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

From my findings they seem to use different panels. Panel S55EQL-LR for HX729 and P-MOD (FQLL550LT01) S-LCD in the HX820, HX929 and HX720. P-MOD or S-MOD are super premium quality panels. Its like the 729 uses last years NX810 panel which was amazing by all respect mind you. The gorilla glass has a resin between it and the TFT panel in the new models as stated by LBJ2 and I earlier and possibly a coating similar to Samsung tvs refer to last years phenomenal HX800 panel (Very reflective kinda like Samsungs coating). But the HX729 is no slouch it made it to the MAGNOLIA... lol. Get by all means it if you cant go Monolith HX820 style.

TIPS:
Did you guys know possibly next year or after most LCD panels will completely be built of FULL or PART gorilla glass? Let me explain, the Monolithic designs of this year are gorilla glass front shielded (PART) but can still break the LCD panel inside. New panels will have the front gorilla shield plus a LOTUS glass by Corning structured into the TFT substrate (FULL)...UNBREAKABLE.

Thanks for the information.
Knowing the HX820 uses the same panel as the HX929 is all I needed to hear. I am going to order 3 46HX820's today.
BrianR is offline  
post #1186 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Newbie
 
Camach88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so my original post is a few pages back but I ordered my the hx820 a little while ago. I will be typing up a review here shortly as this is my first flat screen ever.
But first I thought I remembered reading that someone was controlling their TV with they Iphone 4. I was trying to confirm or deny this, I can't seem to find any application for it.
Camach88 is offline  
post #1187 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Member
 
twichian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthazleh View Post

To Further what James has said, It also allows you to play more different formats of Videos, and is also a much better media server to stream your files through your home network. I would recommend Hardwiring Everything for better performance anyways, although wireless capababilities are great Hardwiring anything on your primary network is always the best solution, with everything that is wireless today, phones, cell phones, laptops, speakers, and all other mattersof things the best way to ensure the least amount of interference for your wireless household Items is to minimize the amount of wireless devices you have in any one room. plus because the tv and ps3 and stereo receivers can all be wireless having a single hardwired connection installed that can work for all three through a cheap router is the best way to go. Also it at least allows you the option to become a gamer or try certain games for the same price as a Blu Ray player. I am a 40 year old man and Became a gamer when I made the decision to get a ps3 as a regular Blu Ray player instead of buying one for 3-400 dollars 4 years ago.. with a ps3 you keep your options open for your own expandability later on, with Blu Ray player you limit yourself to only Blu Rays. A ps3 is a game system a music system, it plays all file formats, including .mkv which the tv does not natively play and most BR players will not play also, it also allows you to use and play almost eny file and photo and music off of your other computers and use it as a media server, and the internet connectivity and interface is much better than the options on the tv. For dollar for Dollar value of what you get...... it is the best option. plus you can always have fun at parties with things like beatles rock band or trivia games not just the shooting games. those games are Karaoke etc.... brfore my first one broke, I used to use it for skype with the play station eye candy camera and talk on my tv with people all around the world for free with video conferencing. most 3D Blu Ray players are sitting at a more expensive purchase. (now you are thinking I don't want to watch 3D it is not what I am into) but what about the thrill of putiing something on for your kids or Grandkids and them saying Wow you are so cool, Or watching that Pay Per View sporting event in 3D etc.... It isn't that you might or might not ever use the capabilities, It is that you automatically cut off your ability to do all of the things the PS3 can do (for cheaper than most 3D Blu Ray players) and should you ever decide you want to do those things in the future you will now have to purchase something else to do it. where for the 40 or 50 dollars more from a decent Sony BD Player (not 3D but standard BD) 3D players are normally about the same price

These are my rationalizations for it but you are free to choose whatever you like. I use the PS3 and would recommend it against any and all of the BD players because of all the other features you get for the price.

Apologies for the tardy response, got bogged down with work ;(

Many thanks for such an informative reply and also to James for his input.

Well you've got me convinced so it will be a PS3 player and I'll look at the "Slim" model first. One final question so we can get back to the TV discussion (by the way, I'm waiting on the 5th one to arrive, nothing but problems but I'll post my experiences and opinions shortly):
I see the Sony BDP-S780 blue-ray player can "upscale your DVDs to near-HD quality and even convert your standard Blu-ray movies and DVDs to 3D". Can the PS3 do this?
twichian is offline  
post #1188 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Newbie
 
jojan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

Hahaa I like that..wchow168.
Jthazleh tweaked his settings to his liking and is so far satisfied, great job. Everybody's got different taste but the key here is to get those INCREDIBLE INKY BLACKS this tv can really produce then tweak colors, shadow detail and tones as desired from there.
I am really pushing this set to its limits now borderline crush yet very minimal loss in shadow detail. Ill tell you this, when watching in the dark and the scene goes blank, its like somebody stole the tv the way it seamlessly blends into the pitch black darkness....WOW!! Best investment I ever made, KDL55HX820 PERIOD. Try these settings and everything before the new settings will look washed-out guaranteed as stated earlier by others. "Look", shhhhhhhh...Join the Darkside
MY CURRENT SETTINGS:-

Picture mode.......SPORTS
Backlight........6
Picture.........86
Brightness.....37
Color............64
Hue.............R4
Color Temp..Warm 1/Neutral
Sharpness....50
Noise Reduction...Off
MPEG.................Low
Dot Noise...........Auto
Reality Creation...Auto
Smooth Grad.......Low
Motionflow.........STANDARD
Cinemotion......... Auto 1
Black Corrector....HIGH
Adv. Contrast......HIGH
Gamma..............-1 (set to 0 if clipping/crushing detail)
LED Dyn Cntrl......Standard
Auto light Limiter...OFF
Clear White........OFF
Live Color...........MEDIUM
White Balance......R-Gain 0
.........................G-Gain 0
.........................B-Gain 0
.........................R-Bias 0
.........................G-Bias 0
.........................B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer....OFF
Edge Enhancer.....OFF
Skin Neutralizer....OFF
I/P Conversion.....OFF
Ambient Sensor....On
Eco (In Preference)-POWER SAVING-LOW

WHITE POINT: 04 OR 05

Hi All, not thread-crapping or being a scrooge or party pooper but it appears there is a general concensus that JAMSTUFF's settings appear to be the ideal based on the responses (JAMSTUFF - thank you very much for sharing!!!!), which now makes me wonder if I should be concerned with my 55HX820. I find that the settings above are still too dark (even with the white point on 05) OR are these settings deemed ideal ONLY for specific types of content(?). Was watching Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsdale) yesterday and I would say that the settings made the movie look better by adding more detail to the tons of dark and black scenes (say a character wearing a dark or black coat, you now could see the sleeves and some folds of the coat). THEN switched to watch college football (bright day game) and thats when I really noticed that the settings just didnt appear look right, the game looked too dark and muted (had to switch to "vivid" or crank up brightness to max and temp to cool so that the game would look right) and colors on the uniforms were too saturated specially the reds (had to tone down settings on those too). Bottomline, I really wouldnt want to have to adjust settings (everytime) based on content of what is being viewed - could it be that my TV is defective??? We have a 27 inch LCD by LG running on factory settings and the picture looks just fine with whatever it is we're watching - no adjustments needed out of the box. Would greatly appreciate any advise.
jojan1 is offline  
post #1189 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Member
 
jthazleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twichian View Post


Apologies for the tardy response, got bogged down with work ;(

Many thanks for such an informative reply and also to James for his input.

Well you've got me convinced so it will be a PS3 player and I'll look at the "Slim" model first. One final question so we can get back to the TV discussion (by the way, I'm waiting on the 5th one to arrive, nothing but problems but I'll post my experiences and opinions shortly):
I see the Sony BDP-S780 blue-ray player can "upscale your DVDs to near-HD quality and even convert your standard Blu-ray movies and DVDs to 3D". Can the PS3 do this?

It absolutely does and as far as I am concerned has the best upscaling because it does not just upscale dvd's it upscales divx and mp4' s and mpeg and otger video codecs as well. Unlike most bd players which can not do that. The PS3 is one pheniminal multimedia machine. You will not be disappointed.
jthazleh is offline  
post #1190 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Member
 
jthazleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojan1 View Post


Hi All, not thread-crapping or being a scrooge or party pooper but it appears there is a general concensus that JAMSTUFF's settings appear to be the ideal based on the responses (JAMSTUFF - thank you very much for sharing!!!!), which now makes me wonder if I should be concerned with my 55HX820. I find that the settings above are still too dark (even with the white point on 05) OR are these settings deemed ideal ONLY for specific types of content(?). Was watching Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsdale) yesterday and I would say that the settings made the movie look better by adding more detail to the tons of dark and black scenes (say a character wearing a dark or black coat, you now could see the sleeves and some folds of the coat). THEN switched to watch college football (bright day game) and thats when I really noticed that the settings just didnt appear look right, the game looked too dark and muted (had to switch to "vivid" or crank up brightness to max and temp to cool so that the game would look right) and colors on the uniforms were too saturated specially the reds (had to tone down settings on those too). Bottomline, I really wouldnt want to have to adjust settings (everytime) based on content of what is being viewed - could it be that my TV is defective??? We have a 27 inch LCD by LG running on factory settings and the picture looks just fine with whatever it is we're watching - no adjustments needed out of the box. Would greatly appreciate any advise.

How is your video feeds set up. Mine are all seperate inputs so for my bd and video watching. I use one input and have it set up to JAMTUFFs settings. For my cable because the max my cable broadcasts in for HD is 720p or 1080i and I have no real 1080p feeds available to me. So I am running it through the component connection instead of through hdmi. Every seperate input on the tv can have it's own settings. So with that said for anything you want to set up differently connect it seperately and not through the arc connection.

Also

I would like to add that I prefer Jamtuffs original settings which do not have thebrightness lowered to 37. I also prefer the gamma at +1 and that i dont set the red hue as low. Remember that each set is slightly different so his settings and look may not apply to you directly. Your set may be slightly more red from factory etc.... Thay are not all identical. That is why calivrations can be very different based on your viewing environment. Use JAMTUFFS settings as a jumping point and then tweak things up or down. If live is too red lower the color for that input and tweak the hue. To neutral again. etc.... Have fun and if you get all turned around and washed out again then restart from here and start tweaking again.
jthazleh is offline  
post #1191 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by twichian View Post

Apologies for the tardy response, got bogged down with work ;(

Many thanks for such an informative reply and also to James for his input.

Well you've got me convinced so it will be a PS3 player and I'll look at the "Slim" model first. One final question so we can get back to the TV discussion (by the way, I'm waiting on the 5th one to arrive, nothing but problems but I'll post my experiences and opinions shortly):
I see the Sony BDP-S780 blue-ray player can "upscale your DVDs to near-HD quality and even convert your standard Blu-ray movies and DVDs to 3D". Can the PS3 do this?

I have both the PS3 Fat and the BDP-S780. I personally prefer the BDP-S780 for watching blurays--but would also agree that if you were to buy one device the PS3 does it all so a bigger "bang for your buck."

If you are deciding between the two Ps3 boxes, the PS3 Slim has the Bravia Sync feature where the PS3 Fat does not. Connected to the HX820 the PS3 Slim with the bravia sync feature is much more convenient enabling one remote for TV and bluray viewing, on/off etc.

Edit: I dont think you can convert 2D to 3D on the PS3 ( or maybe I haven't figured out how to do it yet)--however, your HX820 does so no worries there.

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #1192 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Member
 
jthazleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camach88 View Post

Ok so my original post is a few pages back but I ordered my the hx820 a little while ago. I will be typing up a review here shortly as this is my first flat screen ever.
But first I thought I remembered reading that someone was controlling their TV with they Iphone 4. I was trying to confirm or deny this, I can't seem to find any application for it.

It is called the Sony media remote and it only works on a wifi connection in your home network. It is pretty decent but I still prefer my sony remote. I use it on my Android phone but it is also avalable for iPhones.
jthazleh is offline  
post #1193 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojan1 View Post

Hi All, not thread-crapping or being a scrooge or party pooper but it appears there is a general concensus that JAMSTUFF's settings appear to be the ideal based on the responses (JAMSTUFF - thank you very much for sharing!!!!), which now makes me wonder if I should be concerned with my 55HX820. I find that the settings above are still too dark (even with the white point on 05) OR are these settings deemed ideal ONLY for specific types of content(?). Was watching Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsdale) yesterday and I would say that the settings made the movie look better by adding more detail to the tons of dark and black scenes (say a character wearing a dark or black coat, you now could see the sleeves and some folds of the coat). THEN switched to watch college football (bright day game) and thats when I really noticed that the settings just didnt appear look right, the game looked too dark and muted (had to switch to "vivid" or crank up brightness to max and temp to cool so that the game would look right) and colors on the uniforms were too saturated specially the reds (had to tone down settings on those too). Bottomline, I really wouldnt want to have to adjust settings (everytime) based on content of what is being viewed - could it be that my TV is defective??? We have a 27 inch LCD by LG running on factory settings and the picture looks just fine with whatever it is we're watching - no adjustments needed out of the box. Would greatly appreciate any advise.

Quick question...are you sure that when you switched to viewing football from the movie that you were still using the same Sports scene and settings ( Jamtuff's Sports,wht pt Settings) ?

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #1194 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Member
 
jthazleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post


Quick question...are you sure that when you switched to viewing football from the movie that you were still using the same Sports scene and settings ( Jamtuff's Sports,wht pt Settings) ?

LBJ2 that is a great question. I am guessing the answer is NO. Even when i set the settings as common I noticed that not all of the settings translated to other inputs.
jthazleh is offline  
post #1195 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthazleh View Post

It is called the Sony media remote and it only works on a wifi connection in your home network. It is pretty decent but I still prefer my sony remote. I use it on my Android phone but it is also avalable for iPhones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camach88 View Post

Ok so my original post is a few pages back but I ordered my the hx820 a little while ago. I will be typing up a review here shortly as this is my first flat screen ever.
But first I thought I remembered reading that someone was controlling their TV with they Iphone 4. I was trying to confirm or deny this, I can't seem to find any application for it.

IMO the iPhone/iPad MediaRemote app is pretty good--comes in really handy when you have to type in text as opposed to the TV remote number/letter keypad. However, like jthazleh mentions you have to have the iPhone/iPad connected to your wireless network to use which is another couple of steps you have to think about before you can use it.

You can download the free MediaRemote app on the App Store.

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #1196 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthazleh View Post

LBJ2 that is a great question. I am guessing the answer is NO. Even when i set the settings as common I noticed that not all of the settings translated to other inputs.

That may be what happened. Happens to me too. Once you apply any settings to a scene and you want to use those settings again while changing inputs, just make sure you press the "scene" button on the remote to confirm you are still in that scene/mode after you change inputs.

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #1197 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Member
 
revenicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojan1 View Post

Hi All, not thread-crapping or being a scrooge or party pooper but it appears there is a general concensus that JAMSTUFF's settings appear to be the ideal based on the responses (JAMSTUFF - thank you very much for sharing!!!!), which now makes me wonder if I should be concerned with my 55HX820. I find that the settings above are still too dark (even with the white point on 05) OR are these settings deemed ideal ONLY for specific types of content(?). Was watching Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsdale) yesterday and I would say that the settings made the movie look better by adding more detail to the tons of dark and black scenes (say a character wearing a dark or black coat, you now could see the sleeves and some folds of the coat). THEN switched to watch college football (bright day game) and thats when I really noticed that the settings just didnt appear look right, the game looked too dark and muted (had to switch to "vivid" or crank up brightness to max and temp to cool so that the game would look right) and colors on the uniforms were too saturated specially the reds (had to tone down settings on those too). Bottomline, I really wouldnt want to have to adjust settings (everytime) based on content of what is being viewed - could it be that my TV is defective??? We have a 27 inch LCD by LG running on factory settings and the picture looks just fine with whatever it is we're watching - no adjustments needed out of the box. Would greatly appreciate any advise.

Your set is not defective. Even though Jamtuff found a good combo that many people agree with, it's really up to you to tweak, every set is a little different.

If you ask me, R4 on color hue is extreme, I don't get it. And like you said on the red uniforms you could see the problem. And that's what you need to do, look at lots of different content and tweak until all content looks natural to you.

I find neutral on hue to be best overall for the most types of content I've tested with. The WOW disney blu ray color calibration part agrees too.

Also I'm not yet convinced the ambient sensor being on is the best setting. going to attempt a different config today with it off.
revenicus is offline  
post #1198 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Member
 
jthazleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post


That may be what happened. Happens to me too. Once you apply any settings to a scene and you want to use those settings again while changing inputs, just make sure you press the "scene" button on the remote to confirm you are still in that scene/mode after you change inputs.

Thanks for the tip. I havent tried using that button yet on my remote lol. Still new at this. I love this tv and you guys in this forum are the best.
jthazleh is offline  
post #1199 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Member
 
jthazleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenicus View Post


your set is not defective. Even though jamtuff found a good combo that many people agree with, it's really up to you to tweak, every set is a little different.

If you ask me, r4 on color hue is extreme, i don't get it. And like you said on the red uniforms you could see the problem. And that's what you need to do, look at lots of different content and tweak until all content looks natural to you.

I find neutral on hue to be best overall for the most types of content i've tested with. The wow disney blu ray color calibration part agrees too.

Also i'm not yet convinced the ambient sensor being on is the best setting. Going to attempt a different config today with it off.

+1
jthazleh is offline  
post #1200 of 2587 Old 12-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Member
 
twichian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I have both the PS3 Fat and the BDP-S780. I personally prefer the BDP-S780 for watching blurays--but would also agree that if you were to buy one device the PS3 does it all so a bigger "bang for your buck."

If you are deciding between the two Ps3 boxes, the PS3 Slim has the Bravia Sync feature where the PS3 Fat does not. Connected to the HX820 the PS3 Slim with the bravia sync feature is much more convenient enabling one remote for TV and bluray viewing, on/off etc.

Edit: I dont think you can convert 2D to 3D on the PS3 ( or maybe I haven't figured out how to do it yet)--however, your HX820 does so no worries there.

Thank you (and to jthazleh), I'll be buying the PS3 Slim model and who knows, maybe I'll become a gamer

When these machines convert 2D discs to 3D output is the output as good as broadcast 3D or genuine 3D discs?
twichian is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off