post #1441 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsol View Post

Jamtuff,
I've applied your settings (including SM to 05) and have been using them for a day or so and I'm now experiencing some clouding in the bottom right and left corners. Wondering if you can suggest any tweeks before I start dialing everything back. Thanks in advance!

Sorry no tweaks there to mask clouding its more of a hardware fault (ie panel coating, filters etc). Thus most tv's dont have clouding atleast none of mine atall but a batch of later build models brought to my attention seem to be arriving with this old fault. Increasing the brightness a little and/or gamma helps, WHITE POINT affects the overal contrast. But I would recommended a swap, clouding is definitely annoying when all you want is inky blacks. Is this a brand new set, what panel does it use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

well for me leaving that to auto seems acceptable. never understood what it does so never really played with the custom settings. but i will check this setting out tomorrow. thanks for the input.

Without the noise reduction enabled (it's not by default) there are artifacts that change most noticeably on skin of people's faces. It is grainy and un-natural. So I turned it off and was left with a soft image. Simply enabling it with a small amount of noise reduction seems to smooth everything out while remaining sharp.

Been adjusting it all night and observing results. Sitting on 50 now. Feels like a new TV though...
post #1443 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM

JAMTUFF,

When I change the White Point, will it effect all inputs or the just the input I am currently on when I activate the SM?
post #1444 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinian View Post

JAMTUFF,

When I change the White Point, will it effect all inputs or the just the input I am currently on when I activate the SM?

It affects all inputs at the same time. My new 820 performs better with a 04 setting while my previous excelled with 05 setting.
post #1445 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Hi Justinian,
If you search the prior threads under Jamtuff you will find how to access the menu. *However*, I would strongly suggest viewing your tv first to determine whether you have any clouding issues etc.
I've had my tv for two weeks--first week I used out the box settings to get a feel for it. I found no noticeable clouding issues and could not discern any crease. I began tweaking with Jamtuff's settings. Once I set the SM to 05 as suggested, clouding was revealed. Now trying ways to dial it back as I would trade off inky black for no clouding. I'm hoping to get some feedback on this...

It would be great for you to post some pictures with the White Point set each way.
post #1446 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getchevyn View Post

That's what I was tying to get at. In my Samsung I can see the pores in someone's face when playing blu-ray. in the Sony, it's softer. I can still see the pores but with less detail.

Also try setting it this way:

Noise Reduction:- OFF
MPEG Noise:-LOW
Dot Noise:-AUTO
Reality Creation:-AUTO (recommended) or 50 is fine.

The top setting "noise reduction" is one of the most destructive settings and can drastically soften the picture and is best left OFF. Reality Creation monitors the image quality and makes adjustments accordingly so it is best set to AUTO. Because every source or signal at any one channel or input varies dramaticaly ie commercials as opposed to shows or movie quality changes everytime, HDMI or component video sources with noise filters already applied from their output origins. One channel 480i another 1080, one source interlaced another progressive etc. Commercials are sometimes the noisiest while certain movies are of lower/poor video quality recordings. So RC is best left @ AUTO and other than complex scalling and upconverting it also has noise filtering algorithms built into its features already.
post #1447 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTUFF View Post

Reality Creation:-AUTO (Must) or 50 is fine.

The top setting "noise reduction" is one of the most destructive settings and can drastically soften the picture and is best left OFF. Reality Creation monitors the image quality and makes adjustments accordingly so it is best set to AUTO. Because every source or signal at any one channel or input varies dramaticaly ie commercials as opposed to shows or movie quality changes everytime, HDMI or component video sources with noise filters already applied from their output origins. Commercials are sometimes the noisiest while certain movies are of lower/poor video quality recordings.

Hi jamtuff,

Watching football right now and reality creation at auto causes noticeable haloing around numbers on the jerseys as well as granular skin tones. Manual at 50 with noise reduction at 35 seems to have all the benefits of reality creation with out the over sharpening effect it has. did a few before/after looks and prefer it manually. Switched off my noise reduction though, thanks! I think that helped. Although I might be noticing noise (like mosquito noise) around the moving players now...so who knows.

I definitely believe mileage will vary by source. I think this calibrating of the sharpness is the hardest part. It's not very clear what does what and at what cost. and it makes a huge impact on picture quality.

A broadcast football game also might not be the best test for this, but it is what I watch a lot of, so I want it to look as good as it can.
post #1448 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM

Jamtuff,

I also change the Hue to G4 instead of R4. I would have prefered G3.5. It seems the fleshtone is too red when it's set to R4. Just my opinion. btw, thanks for your settings, they are very close to what I prefer.
post #1449 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsony1 View Post

Mine is gonna be at the same range.

I'm sure HD images look fine. How do SD images look tho?

Too grainy?

How about dvds?

Thanks in advance.

SD video looks good. Here is a picture from Lord of the rings in SD dvd with my settings played thru a PS3.

post #1450 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Jamtuff,

I also change the Hue to G4 instead of R4. I would have prefered G3.5. It seems the fleshtone is too red when it's set to R4. Just my opinion. btw, thanks for your settings, they are very close to what I prefer.

My Disney WOW disc has me put it at G1. Been flip flopping between it and neutral.
post #1451 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Is the crease issue something that is readily noticeable? I just ordered the 55HX820 from amazon and I definitely want to be able to identify quick whether or not mine suffers from this issue. Also has anybody tried connecting this TV to a PC via HDMI or VGA? I plan on using the television often for gaming with my PC as well as my PS3 and I am somewhat concerned about input lag. Thanks in advance for for any info.
post #1452 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

My Disney WOW disc has me put it at G1. Been flip flopping between it and neutral.

I just watch Gladiator on 501 Directv with the setting on G4 and it's almost perfect. Natural skintones. Gladiators actually looks tan instead of sunburned. It's definite improvement.
post #1453 of 2584 Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 PM

Hello

Anyone use a soundbar with this tv that can share their setup? I want to add a slim profile soundbar to match the depth my 46hx 820 using the optical audio output. Only model I can see is the Polk 6000 IHT. Tv mount depth is 2 inches. Any suggestions?? Tv is mounted to a wall an looking for a clean look , no wires exposed. Share your install pics please .

Thanks
post #1454 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 AM

does the 55" HX820 media player play matroshka videos? MKV ??
post #1455 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 AM

However I've seen plasmas with a worst effect in a sunny room. I have my settings set to vivid and everything looks great. I use the tv at night mostly anyways. Works great with ps3 xbox blu ray and even makes my cable look much better!

post #1456 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:

SD video looks good. Here is a picture from Lord of the rings in SD dvd with my settings played thru a PS3.

Thanks!

Looks fine for me.
post #1457 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:

Sorry no tweaks there to mask clouding its more of a hardware fault (ie panel coating, filters etc). Thus most tv's dont have clouding atleast none of mine atall but a batch of later build models brought to my attention seem to be arriving with this old fault. Increasing the brightness a little and/or gamma helps, WHITE POINT affects the overal contrast. But I would recommended a swap, clouding is definitely annoying when all you want is inky blacks. Is this a brand new set, what panel does it use?

Thanks Jamtuff--It is a new set. It's a Sept. build and I have had it for about two weeks. Even though I bought it thru Amazon (easy return), I'm really trying to avoid the hassle on one hand, but I don't want to keep it if this isn't one of those 'live with it' flaws. I will keep trying to tweak to see if I can live with it as my clouding is rather minor, but those blacks really do make it stand out!
post #1458 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinian View Post

Hi Jsol,
Maybe I shouldn't change the White Point then if it can cause clouding. I think the settings without the White Point tweak are fine, but I just wasn't sure what I was missing out on by not changing the WP. I don't understand what the White Point change to 04, 05 does. Does changing it to Jamtuff's setting add more inky blacks?

Justinian,
I'm not necessarily saying it is the white point setting, as I haven't tested without the WP setting (unfortunately the only way to set it back to default is a TV reset). I am just suggesting to take a close look at the picture before making the setting--that way you will have a good before/after. Once I dial down the WP I will report back to see if that indeed masks my clouding--
post #1459 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekker View Post

does the 55" HX820 media player play matroshka videos? MKV ??

No. Sony tv is probably the least compatible as in playback for the various file formats. That was almost a deal breaker for me. I just hook up a WD live tv to resolved that problem.
post #1460 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM

As long as our final fine tuned settings work for each one of us is the intended goal. Source quality will vary and color tone preferences will vary even more. But we all know the differences in black levels and its never a compromise between washed-out and inky blacks. Saddly some tv's are not as perfect as others and here faults get amplified but we should not compromise over acceptable image quality. Especialy if that inner voice keeps you second guessing everytime you turn your tv on wondering if the fault has gone away.

-Crease or curtain effect is very much acceptable unless its realy realy bad (almost all tvs have it).
-Flashlighting/clouding or color temperature variations from side to side (when viewed from dead center) is not acceptable unless its barely noticeable (most sony tv's dont have it).

Just my 1 cent (economy is bad lol)
post #1461 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:

As long as our final fine tuned settings work for each one of us is the intended goal. Source quality will vary and color tone preferences will vary even more. But we all know the differences in black levels and its never a compromise between washed-out and inky blacks. Saddly some tv's are not as perfect as others and here faults get amplified but we should not compromise over acceptable image quality. Especialy if that inner voice keeps you second guessing everytime you turn your tv on wondering if the fault has gone away.

-Crease or curtain effect is very much acceptable unless its realy realy bad (almost all tvs have it).
-Flashlighting/clouding or color temperature variations from side to side (when viewed from dead center) is not acceptable unless its barely noticeable (most sony tv's dont have it).

Just my 1 cent (economy is bad lol)

well put Jamtuff! I'm battling my inner voice vs entering the panel lottery. My clouding is fairly minimal, but I am concerned that it will get worse over time. So I will probably be exchanging--I have until Jan. 5th, but will probably not wait that long...hopefully it will be the right decision....
BTW, I did drop my WP to 04 to no effect regarding my clouding....thanks for your input....
post #1462 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:

well put Jamtuff! I'm battling my inner voice vs entering the panel lottery. My clouding is fairly minimal, but I am concerned that it will get worse over time. So I will probably be exchanging--I have until Jan. 5th, but will probably not wait that long...hopefully it will be the right decision....
BTW, I did drop my WP to 04 to no effect regarding my clouding....thanks for your input....

Yeah, I've got a slight darkening in my lower right edge near the corner. Most easily seen when viewing a solid color. But other than that, think the panel is great. Better to be slightly darker than slightly lighter (clouding) so I think I'll just live with it. Always tough battling that inner voice!
post #1463 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM

JAMTUFF,

I love your settings, but sometimes I notice a little too much reds, like in faces. What should I tweak to reduce some of the reds, but still keep the great blacks your settings provide?
post #1464 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM

could anyone voice their input on this TV vs. an LG lw5600?

Kinda torn between these two and not sure if the extra money is worth it for the Sony.
post #1465 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Reality Creation:-AUTO (recommended) or 50 is fine.

The top setting "noise reduction" is one of the most destructive settings and can drastically soften the picture and is best left OFF. Reality Creation monitors the image quality and makes adjustments accordingly so it is best set to AUTO. Because every source or signal at any one channel or input varies dramaticaly ie commercials as opposed to shows or movie quality changes everytime, HDMI or component video sources with noise filters already applied from their output origins. One channel 480i another 1080, one source interlaced another progressive etc. Commercials are sometimes the noisiest while certain movies are of lower/poor video quality recordings. So RC is best left @ AUTO and other than complex scalling and upconverting it also has noise filtering algorithms built into its features already.

Jamtuff, I think you may be 100% correct on this one. Different source today and I wasn't liking the settings I had. Auto reality creation seemed to work best.

This has been very frustrating trying to get a sharp picture while minimizing noise and artifacting. What works best for one channel/program one day does not work the next.

Maybe with auto it will vary accordingly as good as it can and be a happy medium for all sources even if not ideal for some.

EDIT: I just discovered directv had been doing an upscaling to 1080i regardless of the source. I changed it to just give me native resolutions and 720p sources look a million times better and most of the artifacting I was complaining about is gone. My guess now is that I was unhappy with what reality creation was doing to upscaled 720p sources.
post #1466 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:

EDIT: I just discovered directv had been doing an upscaling to 1080i regardless of the source. I changed it to just give me native resolutions and 720p sources look a million times better and most of the artifacting I was complaining about is gone. My guess now is that I was unhappy with what reality creation was doing to upscaled 720p sources.

I believe Digital Reality Creation only affects SD sources.

I imagine the your directv box was doing a poor job of upscaling, and that is why you see an improvement.
post #1467 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snash22 View Post

I believe Digital Reality Creation only affects SD sources.

I imagine the your directv box was doing a poor job of upscaling, and that is why you see an improvement.

I can actually see a difference in reality creation on both 720 and 1080 sources. My thinking is that the directv was doing a poor job upscaling and interpolating data that wasn't there. Then reality creation was trying to sharpen that data resulting in very noticeable artifacting. Letting the Sony do the upscaling is much better at 720p sources and reality creation is now basically pleasing to my eye all the time now.
post #1468 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 PM

After 3 days of watching tv and I am very happy with my decision in purchasing the KDL46HX820. There is only one thing I really don't like. It's the table stand that is tilited to the left by a few degrees. I read this is a problem with this series. Most people say they tilt to the right but mine tilt to the left. Since most people just mount their sets, they won't notice this problem. I now have to get a mount for this.
post #1469 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:

I can actually see a difference in reality creation on both 720 and 1080 sources. My thinking is that the directv was doing a poor job upscaling and interpolating data that wasn't there. Then reality creation was trying to sharpen that data resulting in very noticeable artifacting. Letting the Sony do the upscaling is much better at 720p sources and reality creation is now basically pleasing to my eye all the time now.

You're right:

Quote:

"BRAVIA Engine has shedded and reborn into the new X-Reality Engine and X-Reality PRO Engine, which offers several interesting improvements in picture quality. The X-Reality Pro is a dual-chip digital video processor that noticeably improves video content playback, whether it be HD, compressed HD, SD or low-rez Internet clips. Sony states the PRO engine adjust signal patterns by analyzing and comparing content to an enormous library of film and video. Content coming in looks better coming out.

Multi-frame analysis in the X-Reality Pro Engine also helps create missing resolution, while Sony’s Super Bit Mapping has 14 bit up-scaling, processing and pixel mapping. Gradients will look smoother than ever before."

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2011/01/0...s-at-ces-2011/
post #1470 of 2584 Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Is there anything that can be done to get rid of a red stuck pixel?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page