Official Sony HX820 Owner's Thread (46HX820, 55HX820) - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 2586 Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies !!!

I just realized that there are more picture setting available from the HOME menu than there are from the PICTURE>OPTIONS menu... Found the ambient setting and turned it off and found the other settings and had a play with them too.

If I RESET all my settings to factory defaults, will it also change EVERYTHING including drive modes and all the other little setting hidden away ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2586 Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Sorry what you said doesn't make sense.

Enhance in what way? If it makes the black areas blacker then that is black crush.

Aaron

Oh man, "If it makes the black areas blacker then that is black crush." What are you trying to say?

Under the option for black corrector it gives what I said... "Enhance the black in image for stronger contrast" I thought you needed help in understanding what it does... It crushes blacks when YOU crush blacks... if setup right you wont have barely any crush details... But horses are for courses right
post #2103 of 2586 Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies !!!

I just realized that there are more picture setting available from the HOME menu than there are from the PICTURE>OPTIONS menu... Found the ambient setting and turned it off and found the other settings and had a play with them too.

If I RESET all my settings to factory defaults, will it also change EVERYTHING including drive modes and all the other little setting hidden away ?

I dont know if there is a master reset on this, in each picture or audio menu you have an option to reset that menu your in. Maybe initial setup might reset everything or the sm. But if you are asking just pressing a reset in any menu wont effect every menu, just the one your in.
post #2104 of 2586 Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 PM

Liked: 11
Anybody have the panel-identification for a 60hx820 ? Thanks in advance
post #2105 of 2586 Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so Im a little confused here.
Is the HX850 the direct replacement for the HX820 from 2011? or the replacement of the 929?
I want a 820 or the new 2012 replacement of it.
The 820 was the middle priced tv for last year so...how does the 2012 structure work again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

[color=Blue]
"Sony's HX850 series will be the company's best TV for 2012...so far.
It's curious that Sony didn't name the HX850, a TV its press release identifies as a "flagship," with the traditional "XBR" moniker. I'm guessing we'll hear about an XBR later in the year; in the meantime the HX850 is king of the line.
Aside from the backlight the HX850 offers improved video processing, dubbed "X-Reality PRO Engine with 3D Super Resolution" and "Motionflow XR 960 technology," over the step-down HX750. In case you're curious, the PRO version "optimizes video sources by utilizing a vast database of signal patterns and comparing incoming signals with ideal scenes to display unprecedented detail and astonishing color," according to the company. We just hope it preserves the integrity of the source material, or can be easily turned off.
Other step-ups include a thin bezel twist to the company's beautiful Monolithic styling, a move Sony calls "virtually frameless."
The HX850 shares the same connected TV features with the step-down HX750, so check out that post for details.

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #2106 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

Ok so Im a little confused here.
Is the HX850 the direct replacement for the HX820 from 2011? or the replacement of the 929?
I want a 820 or the new 2012 replacement of it.
The 820 was the middle priced tv for last year so...how does the 2012 structure work again?

The 2012 HX850 replaces the 2011 HX820. ( Nothing yet on if there will be a replacement for the 2011 HX929)

Here's the latest on the Sony 2012 TV lineup ( as of Jan 30, 2012):
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...contentBody;1n

LB
post #2107 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ View Post

Oh man, "If it makes the black areas blacker then that is black crush." What are you trying to say?

Under the option for black corrector it gives what I said... "Enhance the black in image for stronger contrast" I thought you needed help in understanding what it does... It crushes blacks when YOU crush blacks... if setup right you wont have barely any crush details... But horses are for courses right

Ok, you clearly have no understanding of black crush or any of the picture options.

If you think reading the blurb Sony puts by a setting is enough to get a realistic understanding of the affect a setting has then you are being just plain naive. I actually wanted you to provide some evidence of its affect rather than quote me the blurb but there you go.

Aaron
post #2108 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Ok, you clearly have no understanding of black crush or any of the picture options.

If you think reading the blurb Sony puts by a setting is enough to get a realistic understanding of the affect a setting has then you are being just plain naive. I actually wanted you to provide some evidence of its affect rather than quote me the blurb but there you go.

Aaron

Haha bro, PM if you want to complain about something that wont help anybody else on here. I gave my opinion, someonelse agreed with me, than you said we dont know what we are talking about. People come on here for opinions and answers. BTW, BLACK CRUSH sounds like a new Mountain Dew drink. Horses are for courses Aaron?!
post #2109 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haha bro, PM if you want to complain about something that wont help anybody else on here. I gave my opinion, someonelse agreed with me, than you said we dont know what we are talking about. People come on here for opinions and answers. BTW, BLACK CRUSH sounds like a new Mountain Dew drink. Horses are for courses Aaron?!

Stopping the spread of misinformation will help others here.

I am sorry but you have provided no viable evidence to support your claims. In fact and i quote.

Quote:

if setup right you wont have barely any crush details

Barely any? That is some detail being crushed right?

Then why are you arguing?

I am getting pretty tired of people arguing with me when they have no argument.

All you have to say is "I know if set up properly by a professional this setting wont be on, but i actually like the affect it provides".

I am done, feel like i am shedding brain cells here....
post #2110 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM

what exactly does crushing blacks mean anyways? Sorry to ask..
post #2111 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr View Post

what exactly does crushing blacks mean anyways? Sorry to ask..

When the black objects on the panel are so dark you can no longer see the detail within those objects( a loss of shadow detail)--like not being able to see the folds in a black robe . Crushed blacks make a black object look like a black blob.

LB
post #2112 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

When the black objects on the panel are so dark you can no longer see the detail within those objects( a loss of shadow detail)--like not being able to see the folds in a black robe . Crushed blacks make a black object look like a black blob.

Thanks LBJ, that's what I thought it meant, but I wasn't sure..
post #2113 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Recently purchased, a new 46hx820 from frys for $999 and found the tv to be very pleasing to the eye, great picture quality and features. I've been reading the forums and found great tips and info from calibration settings to troubleshooting. The only thing that concerned me is that I might have the same problem with Kman65 pg4 with post #118. I have the issue with many faint grey scale horizontal bars running throughout the screen, this will only show if I'm watching a scene that pans left or right from any broadcast from hd materials to bd movies also for example a blank white or solid light color background you will notice faint horizontal grey scales throughout the screen. I don't have the dreaded crease or major flashlight maybe one on the bottom right corner but not a concern or clouding, Its not a problem at first but now is more noticable. I had this TV for a month and a half and would like to get feed back on this issue, its running hmdi calbes with a sony bd player ps3 slim and sony htct-350 soundar. Does my 46hx820 qualify for a defect?

Thanks,
post #2114 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr View Post

Thanks LBJ, that's what I thought it meant, but I wasn't sure..

As LBJ2 said,

It is worth noting that some films, tv shows etc can exhibit black crush, which is why it is worth using a decent test disk with test patterns to set up brightness etc correctly so you know it is not your tv at fault.
post #2115 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Stopping the spread of misinformation will help others here.

I am sorry but you have provided no viable evidence to support your claims. In fact and i quote.

Barely any? That is some detail being crushed right?

Then why are you arguing?

I am getting pretty tired of people arguing with me when they have no argument.

All you have to say is "I know if set up properly by a professional this setting wont be on, but i actually like the affect it provides".

I am done, feel like i am shedding brain cells here....

God you sound like a baby.. Dont insult people because they like things you dont? What argument should I come forward with when you disagree with what I like? Black Corrector is a great option on here, when used right gives not just deeper blacks but deeper colors also.. I said this before and now again, people here agree with that but you want to whine and cry about not having "evidence" to support us liking an option?

There is always going to be crushed detail on a tv, if someone can claim they set their tv perfect with no trace of any picture problem then tv companies would never have to make new technology.. Just relax, thats my only advice to you..
post #2116 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

God you sound like a baby.. Dont insult people because they like things you dont? What argument should I come forward with when you disagree with what I like? Black Corrector is a great option on here, when used right gives not just deeper blacks but deeper colors also.. I said this before and now again, people here agree with that but you want to whine and cry about not having "evidence" to support us liking an option?

There is always going to be crushed detail on a tv, if someone can claim they set their tv perfect with no trace of any picture problem then tv companies would never have to make new technology.. Just relax, thats my only advice to you..

Yeah your the one calling me a baby....
post #2117 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Cool it guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and help support the site. Help Support
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2118 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Cool it guys...

oh great, now you guys have done it.. you've awoken the sleeping giant!
post #2119 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Cool it guys...

Three hours of Gears of war 3 and feeling cool.
post #2120 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Well, I've now spent two days and nights with my HX820 and I'm putting this out there, it practically rivals my 60" Kuro for overall picture quality, particularly in HD/BR. The kuro blacks are a little better, whereas the whites on the HX820 top the kuro easily.

The HX vs the Kuro highlights how far LED panels have come since I looked at the a few years ago. If they made. 65" HX820 I'd happily replace my Kuro with one tomorrow.

Overall I am insanely happy with the HX820. So glad I took some time to give LCD/LED a chance instead of merely snubbing it for another plamsa.
post #2121 of 2586 Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Well, I've now spent two days and nights with my HX820 and I'm putting this out there, it practically rivals my 60" Kuro for overall picture quality, particularly in HD/BR. The kuro blacks are a little better, whereas the whites on the HX820 top the kuro easily.

The HX vs the Kuro highlights how far LED panels have come since I looked at the a few years ago. If they made. 65" HX820 I'd happily replace my Kuro with one tomorrow.

Overall I am insanely happy with the HX820. So glad I took some time to give LCD/LED a chance instead of merely snubbing it for another plamsa.

Watch out what options you say you use on this forum, you have the ss picture police on the hound.

I agree with the HD and blue ray, its like watching movies all over again. How many times my gf has said I didnt notice that before or gasps @the detail with this set says a lot.
post #2122 of 2586 Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 PM

I had some free time and decided to actually try to go through the service menu and look around.. First I could see what Jamtuff and some other people said about the white point setting changing a tv.. I, at first didnt notice any change but thought I was doing it wrong so just focused on the regular and advanced settings then came back to the white point and tried again and finally had success, kind of funny how stupid a mistake I was doing.. I think a lot of people are doing the same mistake as I am because the instructions people give are vague on what you do after you set your white point..

This is what I did to enter the service menu with which you can change white point:

1. Power Off
2. Display
3. 5
4. Volume +
5. Power On

A ugly green and black menu should be in the middle/right of the tv, from here:

1. 1
2. 2
3. 0
4. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)
5. Enter (middle of the cirlce navigator, press crosshair button)

Now here is where you enter the white point setting with numbers 00-10 (if you want 5 it would be 05, if you want 7 it would be 07, if you want 0 it would be 00) sorry for so many examples but at first I would put just 5 or 7.. has to be 2 digits no matter what.

After you input your white point setting:

1. Enter

2. Your screen turns white.. its normal dont panic

(Do not worry what setting you input, you have full controll.. Hit Return to go back to the white point setting menu to try again... Go off the white screen to judge what you want)

After being happy with your pick:

1. Jump
2. Muting
3. 0
4. Then power off
5. Wait 20 seconds then turn power on

There you go... A long, winded instruction on how to set the white point... Sorry if this has been posted 100 times but it was unclear to me when I searched.
post #2123 of 2586 Old 03-11-2012, 12:30 AM

Does anyone have the settings that will enable the so called Soap Opera effect ?

I have to turn the cinema option to auto2 or off to prevent jittering ... When I turn it to off or auto2, even the SMOOTH setting in the motion flow menu wont enable the super-smooth effect that most people describe. I just want to see what it looks like.

I can see it on Auto1 with smooth selected but as I said, auto1 is jittery... Maybe because I'm in a PAL region ?

post #2124 of 2586 Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have the settings that will enable the so called Soap Opera effect ?

I have to turn the cinema option to auto2 or off to prevent jittering ... When I turn it to off or auto2, even the SMOOTH setting in the motion flow menu wont enable the super-smooth effect that most people describe. I just want to see what it looks like.

I can see it on Auto1 with smooth selected but as I said, auto1 is jittery... Maybe because I'm in a PAL region ?

You arent missing much, your best bet would be smooth like you have.. The soap opera effect is when everythink looks a little too lively, hard to explain.. I really havent had any issues with that on this tv, I have an old Vizio 46" that gets it bad when I put on 240HZ.

Too me, auto1 and auto2 dont really do anything... Im also a standard or clear guy with the motionflow, best luck with standard
post #2125 of 2586 Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If i put motion flow to Standard and Film mode/ cine motion (not sure what its called over here) to Auto 1 i get very obvious soap opera effect on my set.

Aaron
post #2126 of 2586 Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 AM

I've been trying to find good settings for weeks and i think that i've finally found them. This Omar's message from HX800 calibration thread was very helpful. Im actually using those same settings now and they seem to work great in HX820 too. Colors are very rich and my blu-rays finally look like they should. I only changed motionflow to 'standard' because 'smooth' was a bit too laggy for my taste.

For PC i changed the scene to "Graphics", set my HD5450 pixel format to 'RBG Limited' (+refesh rate to 50) and changed my HX820 HDMI Dynamic range to 'Limited'. Not sure if i'm doing everything right, but this seems to provide the best picture for .mkv movies and XBMC. Picture is not too dark or not too white.
post #2127 of 2586 Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 PM

A new software update has arrived, now downloading.

Any ideas yet what's updated?
post #2128 of 2586 Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbone View Post

I live in Washington State, havent had a software update for awhile now.. I know Sony runs them out @ different times per region. Anything new or is it performance this time?
post #2129 of 2586 Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbone View Post

what is the new version number?
post #2130 of 2586 Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

what is the new version number?

pkg4.002eua-0104
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page