^^ sounds like an update for europe only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2584 Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the story of my Sony 55HX820 and it's short life.

On November 22nd, 2011 I purchased the above set from a local retailer, Fry's electronics. I had been happy with the set, but hadn't had much time to use it, as I have been working on remodeling the outside of my house.

At the end of February, 2012, I finally had chance to sit back and enjoy the set. It was beautiful for about an hour, when it shut down on its own and started blinking the power light in morse code. I, I, I.. .. . It was trying to tell me something but couldn't get it all out. "I" what?

I contacted Sony support via live chat on their web site (surprising since it was 9pm) and they walked me through some basic steps to make me feel there was a chance the set would reset itself. Unplug.. wait 2 mins.. replug. Try another outlet, repeat. The set was still in distress and repeating its cry for help. The agent said a tech would be dispatched to my home within 5 days to fix the problem. I asked about the two blink cycle and was told it indicated a power supply issue. The set has a build date of Oct. 2011.

This started a string of emails from Sony and telephone calls from an outfit named Precision Television.

On 3/7 - past the supposed 5 day window, I received this news from Sony Support;

"Dear Valued Sony Customer

This message is to inform you we have placed a part(s) on backorder for your repair request.."

This seemed a bit unfortunate, so I called Sony and tried to talk them into sending me a new set to replace my defective 3 mo. old set. I told them they could then repair my old set at their convenience and use it as a refurb. This bit of logic almost worked, the rep left the phone and consulted with his higher ups. Bzzztt. No go. Please wait 10 days more and if the set is not repaired we can discuss other options. No further amount of pleading or cajoling would get him off the corporate line, "Please wait 10 more days" No matter that this was double the original repair time estimate and I was already without a set for over a week.

The next day I received a call from Precision parroting that the part was on back order. They must get copied on the emails I get from Sony support.

On 3/13, I received another email from Sony Support;

"Sony records indicate that you recently contacted our support services. We are pleased to announce that you have selected one of our premier authorized service providers."
What??!! I hadn't "selected" anyone and had researched Precision Television on the web. I found they were mainly an extended warranty repair place for various manufacturers and big box stores. Their reviews are pitiful on Yelp.
I replied to this email stating such and told them it was a bit over the top to be congratulating me on the purchase of a defective Sony television waiting to be repaired by a marginal company.
There was no reply.

The next day 03/14;

I received a call from Precision television saying my part was in and they could dispatch a repairman the next day. Woot! Finally going to have my set repaired!

Today 03/15;

The repairman arrives with a new circuit board in hand. I help him lay the television face down on a blanket so he can open it up (lots of screws on the back) The innards of the set are surprisingly sparse. Three circuit boards laying on the back side of the LCD screen. The power board is the largest of the three. He quickly replaces it. We tilt the set up and plug it in. Nothing. "It's dead, Jim!" WTF! I ask if he has another board. Nope. He asks if it lit the power LED before, I recant the 2 blink LED code for what seems like the thousandth time. I tell him to put back in the old board if he wants to see, he does and the blink-blink distress call returns. He says he gets defective "new" parts all the time and has to order another. How long, I ask. How long was the wait to get this one he replies.

The saga continues...
post #2133 of 2584 Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel View Post

This is the story of my Sony 55HX820 and it's short life.

On November 22nd, 2011 I purchased the above set from a local retailer, Fry's electronics. I had been happy with the set, but hadn't had much time to use it, as I have been working on remodeling the outside of my house.

At the end of February, 2012, I finally had chance to sit back and enjoy the set. It was beautiful for about an hour, when it shut down on its own and started blinking the power light in morse code. I, I, I.. .. . It was trying to tell me something but couldn't get it all out. "I" what?

I contacted Sony support via live chat on their web site (surprising since it was 9pm) and they walked me through some basic steps to make me feel there was a chance the set would reset itself. Unplug.. wait 2 mins.. replug. Try another outlet, repeat. The set was still in distress and repeating its cry for help. The agent said a tech would be dispatched to my home within 5 days to fix the problem. I asked about the two blink cycle and was told it indicated a power supply issue. The set has a build date of Oct. 2011.

This started a string of emails from Sony and telephone calls from an outfit named Precision Television.

On 3/7 - past the supposed 5 day window, I received this news from Sony Support;

"Dear Valued Sony Customer

This message is to inform you we have placed a part(s) on backorder for your repair request.."

This seemed a bit unfortunate, so I called Sony and tried to talk them into sending me a new set to replace my defective 3 mo. old set. I told them they could then repair my old set at their convenience and use it as a refurb. This bit of logic almost worked, the rep left the phone and consulted with his higher ups. Bzzztt. No go. Please wait 10 days more and if the set is not repaired we can discuss other options. No further amount of pleading or cajoling would get him off the corporate line, "Please wait 10 more days" No matter that this was double the original repair time estimate and I was already without a set for over a week.

The next day I received a call from Precision parroting that the part was on back order. They must get copied on the emails I get from Sony support.

On 3/13, I received another email from Sony Support;

"Sony records indicate that you recently contacted our support services. We are pleased to announce that you have selected one of our premier authorized service providers."
What??!! I hadn't "selected" anyone and had researched Precision Television on the web. I found they were mainly an extended warranty repair place for various manufacturers and big box stores. Their reviews are pitiful on Yelp.
I replied to this email stating such and told them it was a bit over the top to be congratulating me on the purchase of a defective Sony television waiting to be repaired by a marginal company.
There was no reply.

The next day 03/14;

I received a call from Precision television saying my part was in and they could dispatch a repairman the next day. Woot! Finally going to have my set repaired!

Today 03/15;

The repairman arrives with a new circuit board in hand. I help him lay the television face down on a blanket so he can open it up (lots of screws on the back) The innards of the set are surprisingly sparse. Three circuit boards laying on the back side of the LCD screen. The power board is the largest of the three. He quickly replaces it. We tilt the set up and plug it in. Nothing. "It's dead, Jim!" WTF! I ask if he has another board. Nope. He asks if it lit the power LED before, I recant the 2 blink LED code for what seems like the thousandth time. I tell him to put back in the old board if he wants to see, he does and the blink-blink distress call returns. He says he gets defective "new" parts all the time and has to order another. How long, I ask. How long was the wait to get this one he replies.

The saga continues...

man that sucks. i had the exact issue with my hx820 which stopped working after 2 months and kept showing the red light blinking twice. called up sony and they told me a technician will come to my house and replace the circuit board in 3 days. after 3 days no one came so i called up that technician's company which sony gave me the phone number of. they were like oh we were waiting for u to call us :S anyway after fixing an appointment they failed to meet the deadline and told me the part was in backorder...i got pissed and called up amazon (i bought from them). they told me they will contact sony and take care of it...sony (some manager) gave me a call instantly and replaced the tv for me with a new one. maybe u should try calling them again and ask for someone in a higher position rather than regular customer service reps.
post #2134 of 2584 Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 PM

Liked: 12
Pactel,

I highly recommend trying these things.
Call up Sony customer support tier 2, these guys are a little more knowledgeable and friendly when it comes to repairing/replacing the sets.
239-768-7646

Eventually they will probably transfer you to the "national customer relations" team, basically..the tier 3 team. These are the guys you want to speak to regarding replacing your set. They have more power to do sh*t and stuff.

I used these exact words, more or less.

1. I am and have been loyal to the brand
2. I have been without a reliable TV for x amount of time and also without the cash i put out there (or all the interest paid on a credit card while you did not have a good tv) etc
3. I have been inconvenienced enough and I waited because I thought Sony customer service would do something to make it right
4. I could have returned it and bought another brand but I didn't
5. I am not trying to take this out on you as I know this is not your fault, but to me, right now, you are the face of Sony
6. I am not happy or satisfied with the resolution and would like to speak to a superior

Use the words
'dissatisfied, unhappy and unacceleptable'

If that doesn't work, email sonylistens@am.sony.com

This is the email for sony listens, a team of individuals who will usually bend over backwards to make things right. You can also contact Sarah kepler on facebook, a member of this sony listens team.

good luck and F*CK sony!!
post #2135 of 2584 Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM

which has best picture 820,900, 909.i would like input to make a informed buy.i believe they are close in price now that these xbr's are dated.should i consider the 929 given that it appears to be 600 more unless i am looking in the wrong places
post #2136 of 2584 Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Is anyone able to get DD 5.1 via either optical or ARC hdmi with the built in Netflix app? I was able to get DD5.1 via the built in Amazon vid app but have not had success with Netflix.

I think that Bravia Netflix does not currently offer DD5.1 but want to make sure it's not my implementation. I confirmed the movies I tried offered DD5.1 on my PS3 and Apple TV first.

I'm running the audio through a HT-RC360.
post #2137 of 2584 Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM

is this TV worth getting for the primary use of 3d?
post #2138 of 2584 Old 03-18-2012, 05:45 AM

Is there a lot of 3D crosstalk on the HX820?

Also how do u guys play .MKV files? I read its not supported on Sony.
post #2139 of 2584 Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM

hx850 is FINALLY for preorder thru Amazon for 2100.. Cheap for there #2(so far) tv this year. Crazy looking base on that guy, looks like itll actually hold the tv instead of making it a see saw.

Notice the glass on one of the pictures, it looks much thicker.. maybe thisll fix the problems associated with these corning sets..
post #2140 of 2584 Old 03-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop Parwani View Post

Is there a lot of 3D crosstalk on the HX820?

Also how do u guys play .MKV files? I read its not supported on Sony.

Nope, critics and customers all said if you setup your glasses right, its one of the best out there for 3d. Im not big on 3d because I see it more as a family night or saturday night thing(takes too long to get everything rdy).. People have replied how to do mkvs, scroll back or srch in AVsearch. Srry dont know how to do that
post #2141 of 2584 Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia101 View Post

is this TV worth getting for the primary use of 3d?

If its just for 3d I would do lgs passive because it looks good and the glasses are CHEAP. Also has a cool Wii remote type thing for menu use
post #2142 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasher_ View Post

hx850 is FINALLY for preorder thru Amazon for 2100.. Cheap for there #2(so far) tv this year. Crazy looking base on that guy, looks like itll actually hold the tv instead of making it a see saw.

Notice the glass on one of the pictures, it looks much thicker.. maybe thisll fix the problems associated with these corning sets..

Maybe "cheap" for now. Fixed pricing starts April 1st and me thinks that price will be raised.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #2143 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Maybe "cheap" for now. Fixed pricing starts April 1st and me thinks that price will be raised.

Isn't price fixing illegal? What happened to that?

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #2144 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

Isn't price fixing illegal? What happened to that?

"Several major manufacturers are moving away from MAP (or Minimum Advertised Pricing) to something called Unilateral Pricing Policy (UPP), which penalizes retailers for selling a TV below the manufacturer's preset price."

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...-an-hdtv-deal/

post #2145 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Several major manufacturers are moving away from MAP (or Minimum Advertised Pricing) to something called Unilateral Pricing Policy (UPP), which penalizes retailers for selling a TV below the manufacturer's preset price."

I don't see how they can legally do that.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #2146 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't see how they can legally do that.

Apple does it.

post #2147 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:

I dont think Sony would risk doing that to customers. That would be like the nail in the coffin for some.. I think itll stay @that until they go on sale.. Sony Store has it for preorder also(no price yet.) Price fixing in the us is illegal, that UPP protects companies from other shady business practices.. Trying to regulate prices but stil I dont see that taking hold in the US.. That would kill online stores profits, why buy online when you can buy 5 minutes away. I read up on business from time to time and havent even heard about this UPP, might just be part of a rumor mill if its just online thru yahoo..
post #2148 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Apple does it.

I think your getting mixed up, companies can set pricing on whatever they want.. If a company wants to change it each week they can.. What those laws your talking about is a company trying to sell products from manufacturers for WAY to cheap to make profit. Also, this would never take hold in the US, every local government would take a crap on it.
post #2149 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

http://mkueber001.wordpress.com/2010...ng-in-america/

http://definitions.uslegal.com/p/price-fixing/

Both informative

post #2150 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think your getting mixed up, companies can set pricing on whatever they want.. If a company wants to change it each week they can.. What those laws your talking about is a company trying to sell products from manufacturers for WAY to cheap to make profit. Also, this would never take hold in the US, every local government would take a crap on it.

The above is not about price fixing.

post #2151 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM

God, way too early to be reading something like that.. Price fixing in its whole is ILLEGAL.. I bet there are other loopholes companies play with but youl;l just end up getting the courts after you if its shady.. Changing prices isnt price fixing.. Letting the supply and demand take hold then trickling out products for enormous prices is PRICE FIXING(cough cough PS3 when it came out cough cough)
post #2152 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you sure you quoted the correct post from me when i posted "Apple does it". Did you read the article?

"What all this means for those of us looking for a new TV is that prices on certain 2012 sets from a number of manufacturers will soon be "fixed," much the way products from Apple and Bose tend to be sold at the same prices, regardless of the retailer."

post #2153 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:

The above is not about price fixing.

Yea, it goes both ways.. Price fixing is a company shaping the supply and demand than delivering the product for a FIXED price.. There are other understandings of it I am sure but its shady anyway you say it.
post #2154 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Are you sure you quoted the correct post from me.

The one about apple price fixing.. Was just saying price fixing is illegal in America but like any law I bet you can find loopholes or straddle the fence on it.

Every price is fixed.. each vide game console has a fixed price... cars have a fixed price..

Price fixing is an agreement between participants on the same side in a market to buy or sell a product, service, or commodity only at a fixed price, or maintain the market conditions such that the price is maintained at a given level by controlling supply and demand. The group of market makers involved in price fixing is sometimes referred to as a cartel. The intent of price fixing may be to push the price of a product as high as possible, leading to profits for all sellers but may also have the goal to fix, peg, discount, or stabilize prices. The defining characteristic of price fixing is any agreement regarding price, whether expressed or implied

^^^ from wikipedia
post #2155 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The one about apple price fixing.. Was just saying price fixing is illegal in America but like any law I bet you can find loopholes or straddle the fence on it.

The correct term I used was 'Fixed Price'. That is not the same as Price Fixing. I never used the term Price Fixing. Apple has a fixed price on their product according to the article.

post #2156 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:

The correct term I used was 'Fixed Price'. That is not the same as Price Fixing. I never used the term Price Fixing. Apple has a fixed price on their product according to the article.

Feel like I am in divorce court... A fixed price just means the customer cant haggle over the price... I own a barbershop and the fixed price of a haircut is 9.00.. Look up the definition.. You are basing your argument over someones blog that looks all jumbled up... Every retailer uses fixed pricing, where some shady ones used price fixing which someone mentioned in response to you and you didnt correct them.
post #2157 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Feel like I am in divorce court... A fixed price just means the customer cant haggle over the price... I own a barbershop and the fixed price of a haircut is 9.00.. Look up the definition.. You are basing your argument over someones blog that looks all jumbled up... Every retailer uses fixed pricing, where some shady ones used price fixing which someone mentioned in response to you and you didnt correct them.

C'mon, where are you getting all these arguements, statements and issues from me? I have not said anything about this issue other than "Apple does it" - refering to the article. I have not posted one thing about legal, problems etc. I only posted a link to an article outlining Sony's new pricing policy and stated it was similar to what Apple does as regards to "Fixed Price" per the article.

I still think you arguing and making points with the wrong guy here. All I said was.

Quote:

Apple does it.

post #2158 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

A definitive explanation (and it's no longer illegal):

http://www.loeb.com/pricerestraintsnolongerillegal/

post #2159 of 2584 Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 PM

I really want to purchase this TV, and I thought that since the new model is coming out, I would be able to get it for a bit cheaper, but dang I actually think amazon raised the price
post #2160 of 2584 Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars009 View Post

I really want to purchase this TV, and I thought that since the new model is coming out, I would be able to get it for a bit cheaper, but dang I actually think amazon raised the price

so true I been watching it too. They jacked up the price 10 fold. To me I would pay $1200 new for it tops.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx820 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv With Built In Wi Fi Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page